Help with my character.

Ryoga

I've been reading some books, and with a lot of help from books and pre-built character designs, i've gotten somewhere. I understand almost everything in the character creation, but what's left undone I have a tad of trouble with, and I'd appreciate a quick review and suggestions. Help needed in the

Right now, the History and such is all just scratch work.

Any and all help/criticism appreciated.

Players Name: Ryoga (Kyle)

Power Level: 10

Characters Name: Ivan (E-vahn) Petrovich (Pet-row-vick)

Alternate Identity: Hammer and Sickle

Height: 5’10’’

Weight: 172 lbs

Hair: Black

Eyes: Brown

Description: Ivan is ardently faithful in Communism, a form of government in his own country that was intended to even out all classes. He comes from a long line of Tsars, though his family has little power in his home-country now. From a wealthy family, he first decided to put his share of the families money into experimental procedures to create a Super-Soldier. Too long had outsider countries come in and shielded his fine nations people and government from the world.

Ivan is hellbent on seeing Communism as the main form of government, and at gaining back his families prestige that was lost by his doing. He is often very quiet, though in public forums is known to preach his beliefs. He wears a suit of different alloys to protect his immaculately toned and worked body. His armor’s color scheme is a mix of Sterling Silver and dark reds.

History: Ivan of the Petrovich family, a family with deep roots in the ancient times of his homeland. Still respected as a family of nobility, though with little political power. Ivan himself is rich, having taken his share of his money when he moved from home at 16, and invested it in the modern world. With the help of advisors he increased his wealth ten-fold and funded private experiments into a unique Super-Soldier program exclusively to give himself powers. At the age of only 23 he attempted a coup of his home country with his premature powers and was thwarted by various members of his own party. After a long fight, 10 of his countries strongest soldiers who had small modifications done took him down and he was sent to a Top-Security prison. During that time he preached his ideals further, of his perfect homeland, and how it should be.

When his powers fully matured three years later, he made a prison break, exerting great amounts of effort to escape the top-grade security of the prison. Once free though, he took what funds he had in private accounts and fled for Land of Hope and Freedom to rebuild and see what was for the taking. He now free-lances, intending to build an army and take his homeland one day.

Stats:

Str: 22 (+6)

Dex: 22 (+6)

Con: 22 (+6)

Int: 18 (+4)

Wis: 18 (+4)

Cha: 18 (+4)

Combat:

Attack: +10

Defense: +14

Initiative: +10

Grapple: +16

Saves:

Toughness: +6

Fortitude: +10

Reflex: +10

Will: +8

Skills:

Acrobatics 4, (+10)

Climb 4, (+10)

Intimidate 4, (+8)

Knowledge (Tactics) 12, (+16)

Notice 8, (+12)

Search 4, (+8)

Sense Motive 4, (+8)

Stealth 4, (+10)

Swim 4, (+10)

Feats:

Assessment

Improved Throw

Diehard

Elusive Target

Evasion 2

Improved Block

Improved Initiative

Improved Trip

Inspire

Leadership

Uncanny Dodge (Visual)

Master plan

A: Can use your Knowledge (Tactics) skill instead of your raw Int bonus for the Masterplan feat roll. (1pp)

B: Can use your Knowledge (Tactics) skill in place of a Stealth or related skill check to set up an attempt to surprise opponents in combat and for the Notice or Sense Motive check needed to detect an ambush or to avoid a feint in combat.

Power Attack (1pp)

Powers:

Blast 4 (Shield Throw, Power Feats: Mighty 6, Ricochet; Alt Powers, Strike 4 [Power Feats: Mighty])

Device: Shield, Medium, Composite

Drawbacks: Easily distracted when the right buttons pushed. Will break any disguise/composure when he sees patriotism aside from his own.

DC Block:

ATTACKS: SAVE DC: DAMAGE TYPE:

(Unarmed) (DC 21) (Bruise)

(Blast 4 [shield]) (DC 19) (Bruise)

Costs: Abilities (60) + Combat (48) + Saves (12) + Skills (12) + Feats (16) + Powers (10) - Drawbacks (00) = 158

Okay, everything looks good as far as formatting goes, the only problem you seem to have is with my barely comprehensible DC block. Let's work that out, shall we? ;)

Anyway, like it says in the main book, the standard DC for Toughness-based attacks is 15. So you take that number, and add it to the rank of whatever attack you're using. In the case of your unarmed attack, you have a +6 bonus to STR, so it would be 21. (or 15+6) Use the same formula with your blast power - 15+4, or 19. This is what the person needs to equal or exceed in order to resist being hurt when your attack hits them.

In the case of non-toughness based attacks, like Nauseate or Dazzle, you use 10+rank. This means they are easier to resist, but most people don't put as many points into their saves as they do into toughness.

BTW, I like the idea of a Soviet Captain America. It reminds me of the Ultimate Galactus comic where Cap squared off against someone just like that.

P.S: I am a huge Ranma fan. Take that, pig-boy! :D

Hi Ryoga!

Here are a few things that leapt out to me:

1. Looks like you spent 48 pp on attack and defense instead of the 38 pp you noted at the bottom of your post. [bAB 10 (20 pp) + BDB 14 (28 pp)]

2. Grapple should be +16. [bAB 10 + 6 Str]

3. Since you have both a high Tactics skill and the Masterplan feat, the 'Masterful Tactics' options from the Mastermind Manual might appeal to you:

a) For the cost of 1 pp you can use your Knowledge (Tactics) skill instead of your raw Int bonus for the Masterplan feat roll.

B) For one 1 pp you can use your Knowledge (Tactics) skill in place of a Stealth or related skill check to set up an attempt to surprise opponents in combat and for the Notice or Sense Motive check needed to detect an ambush or to avoid a feint in combat.

4. Since you invested in the 'Improved Trip' feat, the 'Improved Throw' feat might be a good addition to make sure you get the best chance to trip someone by forcing them to resist with the lower of Str or Dex/Acrobatics.

5. Regarding your Shield: Considering that it probably is not an inherent part of Ivan, making it a device might be suitable (and give a few points back). It also needs only 6 applications of the PF 'Mighty' as Ivan's natural Str bonus is only +6.

On the downside it's a bit underprized currently. [blast 4 (8 pp) + Mighty 6 (6 pp) + Ricochet 1 (1 pp) + 1 AP (1 pp) = 16 pp]

Hope this helps a bit! :)

Thank you both very, very much. I really appreciate it. I'll be working on this for a while now, after the math/technical stuff is over with, I'll write up a hopefully decent backstory. Though i may just play him off as 'off the boat'.

Also, I had The Cap in mind while making this guy. Just did a Research Paper on how Captain America affected American culture from the 50's and on.

Also, I've had this handle since 02'. Nice, easy, and an awesome character.

Edit---------------------------

Still need to get rid of 8 points, since i'm at 158, and is the shield for devices all squared away? Thanks again for your time.

One thing I forgot to mention previously is that both your Inspire and Leadership feat are reliant on Hero Points to get any kind of use out of them, but without the Luck feat you only have the normal Basis of 1 HP. Unless you count on getting a number of HP via Complications, I don't think the current build will work that effectively.

You can drop the Improved Block feat. The Judges have ruled that blocking is subject PL limits and since you reach those with your BAB alone, it has no use to you.

I think your Device is a bit off. Keeping with your current build it might be designed as such (two possible versions as per the Device power M&M 2ed, p. 81f.):

a) Device 3 (easy to lose) [9 PP]

Blast 4 [Power Feats: Mighty 6, Ricochet; 15 PP]

B) Device 4 (hard to lose) [12 PP]

[Edit] Strike my previous thought - the Thrown PF id not a good idea. I threw out the alternate Power because you don't really need. A Blast can attack into an adjacent square without problems and your attack bonus is the same whether ranged or melee.

Edits in red with questions, Some things left un-changed for now, but i'm getting there I hope.

Lowered abilities, tweaked saves, lowered some combat scores.

Alternate Identity: Hammer and Sickle (Subject to change)

Description: Ivan is ardently faithful in Communism, a form of government in his own country that was intended to even out all classes. He comes from a long line of Tsars, though his family has little power in his home-country now. From a wealthy family, he first decided to put his share of the families money into experimental procedures to create a Super-Soldier. Too long had outsider countries come in and shielded his fine nations people and government from the world.

Ivan is hellbent on seeing Communism as the main form of government, and at gaining back his families prestige that was lost by his doing. He is often very quiet, though in public forums is known to preach his beliefs. He wears a suit of different alloys to protect his immaculately toned and worked body. His armor’s color scheme is a mix of Sterling Silver and dark reds.

History: Ivan of the Petrovich family, a family with deep roots in the ancient times of his homeland. Still respected as a family of nobility, though with little political power. Ivan himself is rich, having taken his share of his money when he moved from home at 16, and invested it in the modern world. With the help of advisors he increased his wealth ten-fold and funded private experiments into a unique Super-Soldier program exclusively to give himself powers. At the age of only 23 he attempted a coup of his home country with his premature powers and was thwarted by various members of his own party. After a long fight, 10 of his countries strongest soldiers who had small modifications done took him down and he was sent to a Top-Security prison. During that time he preached his ideals further, of his perfect homeland, and how it should be.

When his powers fully matured three years later, he made a prison break, exerting great amounts of effort to escape the top-grade security of the prison. Once free though, he took what funds he had in private accounts and fled for Land of Hope and Freedom to rebuild and see what was for the taking. He now free-lances, intending to build an army and take his homeland one day.

Stats:

Int: 13 (+2)

Wis: 11 (+1)

Cha: 11 (+1)

Combat:

Defense: +10

Saves:

Will: +5

Skills:

Acrobatics 4, (+10)

Climb 4, (+10)

Intimidate 4, (+8)

Notice 8, (+12)

Search 4, (+8)

Sense Motive 4, (+8)

Stealth 4, (+10)

Swim 4, (+10)

Feats:

Assessment

Improved Throw

Diehard

Elusive Target

Evasion 2

Improved Initiative

Improved Trip

Uncanny Dodge (Visual)

Master plan

A: Can use your Knowledge (Tactics) skill instead of your raw Int bonus for the Masterplan feat roll. (1pp)

B: Can use your Knowledge (Tactics) skill in place of a Stealth or related skill check to set up an attempt to surprise opponents in combat and for the Notice or Sense Motive check needed to detect an ambush or to avoid a feint in combat.

Power Attack (1pp)

Powers:

Blast 4 (Shield Throw, Power Feats: Mighty 6, Ricochet.

Do I still keep thiese powers? since my shield has them in there?

Device 3 (Easy to Lose) [9PP]

DC Block:

Costs: Abilities (46) + Combat (40) + Saves (12) + Skills (12) + Feats (12) + Powers (10) - Drawbacks (0) = 132

Question: about your last edit in the shield, what do you mean you threw out the alternate power. I'm a tad confused, sorry.

No problem. :D

Your original build for the Shield had the Blast power (costing 15 PP) and an Alternate Power Strike (1 PP). I eliminated the Strike AP because you don't really need it as you can use the Blast power in melee just fine.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but those drawbacks aren't really drawbacks which give you points back, but are Complications thatgive you an HP if they come into play. :cry:

I think the main problem is that you put 108 points into stats and combat, that's 72% of your total available and doesn't leave much room for the rest.

I can understand the attack part, but have you considered lowering the Base Defense and adding some points in Dodge Focus instead?

And do his mental values really have to be that high? Physical is a premium for a super-soldier, of course, but does he need that high an intelligence and charisma (especially since he lacks his leadership feats now) ?

Well, I just double-posted myself, so no complaints from me. ;)

Regarding the "in red" part: Just put the "Device 3 (Easy to Lose) [9PP]

Blast 4 [Power Feats: Mighty 6, Ricochet; 15 PP]" under the "Powers" header and eliminate the rest. You do have the powers and can use them freely (at least till someone takes your shield away).

The bad news: The uneven attribute levels (Int 13, Wis 11 and Cha 11) have their boni round down -> Int 13 (+1), Wis 11 (+0) and Cha 11 (+0). So better put them at even levels.

Okay, So...I think....hope...this is right. I feel bad because you're helping me so much, and I don't seem to make much headway. Again, thank you for all your time and help thus far.

Alternate Identity: Captain Communist

Stats:

Int: 14 (+2)

Wis: 12 (+1)

Cha: 12 (+1)

Combat:

Defense: +10

Saves:

Skills:

Acrobatics 4, (+10)

Climb 4, (+10)

Intimidate 4, (+8)

Notice 8, (+12)

Search 4, (+8)

Sense Motive 4, (+8)

Stealth 4, (+10)

Swim 4, (+10)

Feats:

Assessment

Improved Throw

Diehard

Elusive Target

Evasion 2

Improved Initiative

Improved Trip

Uncanny Dodge (Visual)

Master plan

Power Attack (1pp)

Powers:

Blast 4 (Shield Throw, Power Feats: Mighty 6, Ricochet.

Device 4 (Hard to Lose) [12PP] - (Shield)

DC Block:

Costs: Abilities (52) + Combat (40) + Saves (12) + Skills (12) + Feats (12) + Powers (10) - Devices (12) = 150

Okay, So...I think....hope...this is right. I feel bad because you're helping me so much, and I don't seem to make much headway. Again, thank you for all your time and help thus far.

First thing: Don't feel bad about anything. :) It's absolutely no problem and I gladly help where I can. (Not that I can help that often since I'm anything but an expert myself.)

I've taken the liberty of clarifying a few things and modifying the Shield once again. Now it has a dedicated melee combat power again (though you could still use the Blast if you wanted, but there is no reason to in melee). This melee power adds the possibility of hitting much harder (Improved Critical 2), and allows Ivan to (almost literally) wade through hordes of minions/goons (Takedown Attack 2). I've also added a Shield power in which increases your normal defense up to +14 as long as you have the shield ready in your hands.

And best of all, you still have 14 pp left over to spend! :D

Stats:

Int: 14 (+2)

Wis: 12 (+1)

Cha: 12 (+1)

Combat:

Attack: +10 (+10 melee; +10 ranged)

Defense: +10 (+14 w/ Shield; +5 flatfooted)

Saves:

Skills:

Acrobatics 4, (+10)

Climb 4, (+10)

Intimidate 4, (+8)

Notice 8, (+12)

Search 4, (+8)

Sense Motive 4, (+8)

Stealth 4, (+10)

Swim 4, (+10)

Feats:

Assessment

Benefit 2 (Masterful Tactics 2) * **

Diehard

Elusive Target

Evasion 2

Improved Initiative

Improved Throw

Improved Trip

Master Plan

Power Attack

Uncanny Dodge (Visual)

* Can use your Knowledge (Tactics) skill instead of your raw Int bonus for the Masterplan feat roll.

** Can use your Knowledge (Tactics) skill in place of a Stealth or related skill check to set up an attempt to surprise opponents in combat and for the Notice or Sense Motive check needed to detect an ambush or to avoid a feint in combat.

Powers:

Device 4 (Hard to Lose) [shield; 16 PP]

Shield 4

AP: Strike 4 [Power Feats: Improved Critical 2 (18-20), Mighty, Split 1, Takedown 2; 1 PP]

DC Block:

(Unarmed +10) (DC 21) (Bruise)

(Shield +10) (DC 25) (Bruise)

Costs: Abilities (44) + Combat (40) + Saves (12) + Skills (12) + Feats (13) + Powers (16) = 137

Wow....Thank you...Holy snap...thank you very, very much. I just have one question, sorry. Last one, I think I can promise that.

Powers:

Device 4 (Hard to Lose) [shield; 16 PP]

Shield 4

AP: Strike 4 [Power Feats: Improved Critical 2 (18-20), Mighty, Split 1, Takedown 2; 1 PP

It says 16 PP was used there. I got that, I see there are four areas. 4 points to the device, 4 to the shield, 4 to the blast, 4 to the alternate power Strike. 16.

But, does it take extra points when you add all those things. Like, wouldn't that Mighty 6, on the blast add another six points to the PP? i'm sorry, this is just what confused me. But really, you're awesome. Thank you. I owe you.

That's quickly explained:

Making use of a device gives you a "discount" on paying for your powers as they can be taken away and thus leave you powerless. The discount works as such:

For every 3 pp you spent on an easy-to-lose device (this can be disarmed/Taken away in combat) it contains 5 pp of powers.

For every 4 pp you spent on an hard-to-lose device (this can only taken be away if you are helpless) it contains 5 pp of powers.

Your shield costs thus:

Shield [4pp] (This is a power that increases your defence by 4.)

Blast 4 [8pp] PF: Mighty 6, Ricochet [7pp] = 15 PP

-> Alternate Power: Strike 4 [Power Feats: Improved Critical 2 (18-20), Mighty, Split 1, Takedown 2; 1 PP]

An Alternate Power of another existing power costs only 1pp because you can only use one of them at the time. Since you can't use your shield to throw and melee-attack at the same time, the Strike power is priced as an alternate power to the Blast power and so costs only 1pp.

The total comes to: 4pp (Shield) + 15pp (Blast) +1pp (Strike as an altenate power to Blast) = 20pp

Following the discount given above, this means that you have to pay 16pp for the 20pp your hard-to-lose Device contains.

[since every 5pp a device contains constitute one rank of device, your shield is a Device 4.]

Hope I managed to make everything understandable. If not, please don't hesitate and ask again!!!

Folkert

Ah! I get it. The Alternate power really tweaked me, I didn't fully understand it. But I get it now. It's basically Blast (Ranged) or Strike (Melee) and you added the Strike to make it have it's own set of melee. I got it. Thanks again man. i feel really confident to submit this now.