I was working in the lab...

Tiffany Korta

One of Claremonts Many Tech Labs,

Well past bedtime

GM Post

Claremont tended to attract the some of the best and brightest teachers from around the world. One of those was Divina Khan a engineer and technologist from the UK who whilst taught the basics seemed to be just as happy explaining the bleeding Edge technologies coming from the Atoms or Archetech.

To help encourage those who technologies were of a more technological bent she’d set up a club named the Lunar Society, after some of the great industrialist and thinkers of her home in the 19th Century. As well as allowing the students to talk about idea that most students couldn’t understand she’d help arrange for the best couple of students to display their inventions at a local technological Expo. WIth some of the best technological companies sending people to the Expo it was a chance for the more senior students to get noticed and find work in their chosen fields, or for some just to prove that there ideas would work.

Divina had also arrange late access for some of the Tech Lab’s so they could work on their invention out of hours, and right now sakurako was taking advantage of this arrangement.

Sakurako

Materials Sciences... the old stand-by. Her interest in space has waned a bit, but working with polymers and other materials has led her to thinking on how she could upgrade her suit to be in league with a battlesuit, but be sleek and flexible like a fabric. This proved daunting considering the graphene derivatives just weren't there in matters of what she needed. She flopped back, the heavy cleansuit she didn't mind, but the respirator mask had a habit of steaming up, so taking a moment to let the mask's anti-fogging cababilities to catch up gave her an excuse to sit on her stool, looking over formulas and molecular models she had on a tablet.

"Still stuck on getting these darned graphene cells to line up for use as a fabric... I think if I set up this framework though it will allow electricity to pass through without needing a wiring system... interesting. Might need a second layer for data, if I can keep the electricity from bleeding over."

She adjusted herself, tapping the mask she was wearing. "Wait, if I design the data layer differently with it's own nano-transistors and other computational qualities, I could solve my issues."

Grinning she sat the tablet down as she started running simulations so she could figure out the best mixtures to force her carbon medium to line up the way she needed it while suspended in the gel she was going to use.

GM Post

The ecological based power saving had already plunged the laboratory into darkness, apart from a small pool of darkness around Sakurako’s workspace. And whilst she was trying to work out how to solve her carbon medium problem the lab had more fallen more or less quiet, apart from the quiet humming and beeping of the running computers.

So it was quite a shock when there was a large clanging and clattering sound from one corner of the laboratory, from the storage lockers where the other projects were currently stored.

Sakurako

She jumped with a start. Almost reflexively reaching for the fire extinguisher under her desk. Turning around she realized where the sound came from. Taking the fire extinguisher with her she walks over to the locker, keeping an eye out for any signs of acid eating through the locker or and fire-like glow being suddenly visible. Safety is your first priority was something drummed into her head by the various teachers teaching interested students about rescues... but in a lab like this the whole school could get into trouble if there is just one mistake in the tech lab.

She gets over to the storage lockers and has a closer inspection.

GM Post

The clattering came from one of lockers, the metal mesh design allowing tantalising looks at what was inside. The one in question belong to James, Divina insisted on first names at the Club, who Sakurako remembered was a talented engineer but came from New England old money and didn't let people forget. He had so fascinating idea in the field of piezoelectric for power generation in clothing, with vast potential in linear frames and power armours, but it always seemed to be more of a hobby to the young man with no drive to push himself further.

The electronic lock was fairly advanced, as much it could for a school with several genus's among the students, but had obviously been spooked by the locker spring open and making all that noise. Of cause that did mean that unless they could teleport of phase they more than likely still within the lab...

Sakurako

"OI! James! Your Locker is clattering! I think something might be running in there and you're burining battery." Sakurako said looking over at the locker, making sure nothing looked like it was going to damage anything. "Wouldn't want to negotiate recharge time on the outlets around here, we're on a electricity budget."

"Sometimes I care too much..." Sakurako said to herself, standing next to the doorway waiting for James to get in there to make sure his stuff wasn't going to blow up in the lab.

GM Post

For a few moments there was just silence until there was another clattering, this one much nearer the door to the laboratory, and a soft swearing in Spanish. Then a young girls face popped out from behind the locker nearest the door.

If there was anyone in the little technological circle furthest from James it was Valeria, the young woman nervously looking at Sakurako. She was a local Freedonian who could have never dreamed of attending a place like Claremont Academy without her natural abilities. As well as a natural talent for engineering, though not as skilled as some here, she also had the ability to duplicate any mechanical or electronic device simply by touch. It allowed her to create gadget's with quite a bit of speed, but didn't tend to be as cutting edge as some of the wonders sitting in the cages.

"I can explain exactly what I was doing here, honest!" she was definitely nervous about something here.

Sakurako

Sakurako knows a guilty conscience when she sees it. But she hesitates, wanting to see if Valeria would fess up... if she could get her to say something, she could correct this without even needing supervision... she did have some leadership in the lab as the most accomplished of the students... and has tutored a few of them. "What's up, Valeria? Know what's up with James' possessed locker?"

She smiled, acting like she wasn't on to something...

• 4 weeks later...

GM Post

Valeria stepped out of her hiding place, still looking a little sheepish and not looking Sakurako in the eye. She was a good kid but maybe partly that was because she looked so guilty if she’d did anything wrong. She took a deep breath and began to explain her project for the expo, now she did look at Sakurako and her eye’s lit up and she began to talk.

It was a little difficult to understand, not obviously the theoretical details for a genius, as the excited Valeria rattled through the project dropping Spanish phrases in her a rapid stream of consciousness explanation. But as she got towards the end something became apparent, at least to Sakurako’s technical bent, she couldn’t manage to generate the power necessary. It didn’t take a genius to work out how she planned to solve this problem tonight...

Sakurako

Sakurako crossed her arms for a moment in thought. "To be honest you're aiming too high."

She gestures to a seat near one of the project tables. "I think we need to talk."

Sakurako takes a seat. "The issue is this: The power supply you want will be taking far longer in development than the time allotted for your project. Even if I was working on something like your project I would need 6 months minimum to make something that would clear the Department of Energy's safety regulations. Want to know how long it took to get the power system of my suit all sorted out?"

She paused for a moment to watch Val's reaction as she sat down. "2 Years... and that was 2 years of work before I got here to the academy. I've... been through a lot since then, but there is still a whole lot of development time involved. And the important thing is just taking some power source from anywhere might have unintended drawbacks to anything you build."

"If I... let's say took a power supply from Daedalus' powered armor, and that's some really good kit if you ask me... and put it into my suit, there would be quite the overload... perhaps even a decent sized explosion."

She leaned on the table, straightening out her clean-suit. "What I'm trying to say, is..." She sighed, she didn't want to discourage her... a fellow inventor... "Maybe you should not fall into the sunk-cost fallacy and switch to something that isn't this ambitious and still have something to show that is uniquely you. I've had to put many of my thought kittens to sleep... it's not fun. It's painful even, but that's how science rolls."

GM Post

Valeria listened with an apparent sense of wonder at everything that Sakurako was saying, especially the name drop of these primary science hero. She looked so younger compared to Sakurako, did she ever look that young? But when she spoke she had a confidence well beyond her year

“I reckon I could do it in six months, but I see what you sayin’” she was more on the confident side than cocky “Which isn’t enough time the competition. But just what I need is just lying there, I just need to duplicate it and my device would be up and running.” she gestured to the metal lockers.

Sakurako

"Then you plan on crediting your fellow students in your presentation?" Sakurako said, crossing her arms.

At this point she didn't care about making enemies... those ethics courses at the academy and the humanities courses she took as a post-secondary option through the academy weren't a waste. "When were you going to let us all in on your project?"

GM Post

With some excitement Valeria went into some detail to her project, dropping a mix of technical and slang terms that made it difficult for even Sakurako to follow. Though after a few moments of explanation and general hand waving she could see that the project was actually pretty solid and might be almost ready to go to market. If it wasn’t for that pesky power issue. Valeria stopped and looked a Sakurako her excited look staying for a few minutes before falling as she added.

“I asked him if I could borrow the design, but he said no.”

• 1 month later...

Sakurako quirked an eyebrow.

"Wasn't what I asked, but No is No. We've taken the Science Ethics courses before getting clearance to work in the school's labs." Sakurako sighed. "And doing it like this is diluting your talent."

She crossed her arms, leaning on the locker, like a guard. "I'm going to be honest, taking this road isn't talent. It's just being a copy machine. A quick out."

"This competition isn't important in the long run. Might be to you, but not to the larger scheme of things. You'd be happy... have the praise... maybe even your trophy on the shelf..."

"But look 10 years down the line... 20... when you think about this short cut. No... I doubt you thought that far. I do forget there's this whole teenage-impulsiveness thing..."

She changed tracks. "Then, there is the question of ethics."

"There's scientists out there... not mad ones... ones perfectly sane, who don't care about the consequences of their actions. Ethics only fit where it justifies their actions, and morals? You can toss them out the window."

"I was kidnapped by Ghostworks. A group that operates in that sort of manner. And I would not be surprised that they started in their early days out looking for shortcuts."

"I also know sometimes all it takes is for someone to stand in the way."

Sakurako starts to look a bit more stern, knocking the locker. "This is James' project. His work. Not yours."

"I think you know where this will go next. I'm now aware of this, and I know I can't just put this under the rug. Ms. Khan will know about this. The question is if this will lead to a simple apology to James and Ms. Khan, or an expulsion."

"And I'm not bluffing." Sakurako says, putting her hand into a pocket... for emergencies she had the lab's emergency contact on speed dial. If she had to, she would notify faculty of this matter and have them resolve it, and being woke late at night... they might not receive well. "As far as I'm concerned, until I know James' project is safe from being copied, I'm standing guard. Whatever happens here... is worth it."

"The next move is yours."

Edited by Sailor
  • 3 weeks later...

GM Post

Valeria's eyes went wide in horror at what Sakurako was suggesting and was almost babbling as she quickly tried to explain things to the older student.

"Oh no you couldn't, you wouldn't! If I get expelled then that would be it, there's now way that my family could afford the type of education that I get here."

Her eyes began to fill with tears as she carried on talking in a near panic

"I promise you that I didn't touch his device at all, I admit that I was going to but I didn't touch it I swear."

Ever she was an Oscar worthy actor in the making or what she was saying was completely genuine.

Sakurako leaned against the locker. "Go back to your quarters. I'll have his project moved... thing is I have to report this incident." She turned off her phone and pocketed it again. "But once Dr. Khan is awake... then again I'm sure this whole conversation is on security too."

"I'm not completely heartless... that and an incident like this wouldn't get you expelled. Lectured, totally... but in school you get second chances. Think a scientist would take it lying down having their work copied to make your life easier?"

"What if I managed to do that? You'd be irate..." She said, sighing. "I'll tell Dr. Khan you changed your mind."

She grinned. "Your project makes sense... but a good idea needs time. Time sadly you don't got. Sometimes that's how science works."

Edited by Sailor
  • 5 weeks later...

GM Post

The next morning Sakurako was surprised when she arrived at Dr. Khan's office to find that Valeria was already in the office, looking suitably crestfallen. Divina flashed Sakurako a quick smile before waving her into the office, before returning back to the serious tone that seemed appropriate.

"Ms. Velasquez has been telling me that you'd both had an interesting experience last night. It seems words you had an effect on Ms. Velasquez."

She put her hand on her chin and looked at Valeria with a very stern serious look.

"This could have been a very serious thing but I think Ms. Hino got to you just in time. This year you'll be disallowed from the competition and I've arranged for you to spend the rest of the term in detention, you'll be spending the time learning proper ethics of using your powers wisely. But  apart from that, you'll suffer no other punishments, I hope you've learned your lesson."

With a silent mournful nod, Valeria accepted and was then dismissed from the office.

"You did a good thing today Ms. Hino, I'd be happy to give you a glowing reference for when you graduate from this prestigious academy. I also know a few people who could use your talents out there in the real world."

Sakurako scratched her head. "Actually, Ma'am... if I may speak to her defense, I don't think the detention is appropriate." She said, adjusting her labcoat and taking a seat. "Valeria has a good idea here. Also I saw that the term is a longer period of time than the competition... I looked over her diagrams and her power source concept would have enough time to be complete before the end of the term, and my time here at the school."

"I told Valeria that I'm not a mean person in general, if she would have come to me for aid at least a month prior our combined manpower could have... factoring in burning the midnight oil... succeeded in completing that project. It would have meant we would have had to share the credit, but this project is intriguing enough to see through to it's completion."

"I know Valeria wants to build her portfolio for getting into college or getting to learn under another metahuman post-academy. I would just like to leave here giving her a chance to get under someone's wing. Not being able to participate in the competition I think is punishment enough. Her progress with her overall display of her talents has been brick-walled. That's probably why she almost took a short cut. That's why I thought having this be part of some end-of-term project for her would give her a second chance. The right way is the slower path, but has greater reward."

"Considering that I will be in training with AEGIS after graduation, I'd like to know if anything bad happens to me once I'm in the field that I've left something of a legacy for someone here." She said. "I can assist, but I'd love to see her succeed. This is her baby after all."

"As for the ethics training, perhaps a look into my reports about Ghostworks and my personal testimony... at least the declassified bits... would be of use?"

GM Post

Ms. Khan was quiet for a few minutes as she considered what Sakurako was offering, before looking up and giving a smile.

"Well I've not arranged who is going to carry out the detention, and I believe senior students, like yourself, are allowed to assume more responsibility in such circumstances. If someone decided that finishing the project was a suitable way to learn their lesson well it would be churlish of me not to mark the project..."

She started to fill out some paperwork, carrying on speaking as she did so

"It will be a lot of time and effort on your part, but I'm sure that you can more than rising to the occasion. And obviously such things will look good to future employers, and more importantly, it's something that the Headmistress will look fondly upon."

Sakurako smiled. "Well, considering how I've mowed through work on my end, this will not be a burden, Ma'am."

She turned to Valeria. "We'll meet after afternoon class to start getting this project arranged, this coming Saturday we'll meet at 0800 hours to start the fabrication process for some of the parts you needed for the power supply housing. I'll be working with your technical specifications, but this is all you. I'm your assistant for this."

GM Post

Graduation Day, a few years later...

Whilst they'd kept infrequently in touch Sakurako had been so busy with AEGIS the last few years she'd almost forgotten what had happened with Valeria. So it was a bit of surprise when she'd received an invitation to Valeria's graduation. Luckily Sakurako's schedule meant she could be in the country and free for the day, she wouldn't be surprised if the thing had been arranged what with the connections AEGIS had at the school.

Still, even then she'd only just managed to arrive just before the ceremony began, what with all the myriad crisis having been solved before she'd arrived. It was strange to see the odd familiar face from her time at Claremont, what with everything that had happened since she herself had graduated.

Sakurako adjusted her glasses, wearing a dark blue trenchcoat over her redesigned suit, her now long hair pulled back in a low ponytail. Trying to keep on the down low, keeping an eye on Valeria.

She started making notes, using her eyes to start writing out a quick dossier. "Seems Valeria made it. I'll keep her on casual surveillance, see where the fates have taken her. Perhaps we could use another brain in AEGIS." She thought, lowering her glasses for a moment. "Then again... I wonder what she's set herself up for..."

Sakurako grinned. The "Game" has been boring for her. Instead of scientific research she had been busting up mad scientists and stopping the dealing of arms to neer-do-wells. It actually felt good to have seemingly a happy ending this time.

"The cap and gown never suited me... nor I guess the labcoat."

A call blinked up on her smart phone. One she encrypted so well even AEGIS was a little nervous... until she gave them the key and the encoding process. "Yes?"

Her smirk became toothy. "Shoulda known my lunch would be cut short. I'll be at the station in... 5 minutes? You can pick me up there... don't want my lift scaring the parents and teachers."

She shook her head as she stood up and turned from the dais where the students where shaking hands with the headmistress in their caps and gowns... then Valeria's name was read off.

"No need to look back... I'm sure I'll see ya soon."

There was something in her head that made her think Valeria did see her after all... after all she wasn't hiding her bright pink hair... her main trademark. She turned to her left for a second lifting her left hand before walking off. "Maybe we'll have lunch sometime..." she thought. "If the world isn't in peril. AGAIN..."