You know, for kids!

MarkK

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gossamer has been studying the map for some time, idly stroking her lower lip; at the suggestion of the autograph and kissing booths, her bright blue eyes go wide for a moment, then she laughs loudly.

"Wow, I guess I hadn't...yes, definitely. Velocity, I think you underestimate both yourself and young people; I think they'll be lined up for blocks they'll be so interested. And as for you, Dr Archeville, I for one would certainly line up for a peck."

She gives him a friendly wink and then returns to studying the map, hands on her hips; after a few moments it's clear an idea has struck her, but she's not sure what to make of it.

"Well, I could...well, this might sound fairly bizarre and vaguely inappropriate, but in a sense, I could actually be a sort of ride."

Her golden mane fashions itself into a dozen limbs some fifteen feet long, radiating out from her head like the rays of a cartoon sun but each ending in a sort of shepard's crook; they start to turn slowly, not unlike a miniature Ferris wheel.

"I can extend these out to about a hundred feet, and any, ah, passengers would be completely safe; a demonstration of my powers that could be highly entertaining." Then blonde heroine furrows her brow and starts stroking her lip again. "Though I suppose there might be some insurance concerns..."

But then she smiles again and shrugs. "I could also do a puppet show, like I did for my niece's birthday; it was a big hit with the little ones, believe me." She pulls in all but one of her tendrils, several fine strands of which dart out to grab an unused chair and make it 'dance' like a marionette; she continues speaking as she moves the chair through its paces, smiling to herself as she make it skip and pirouette about the room.

"And certainly dramatic combat would be impressive and draw quite a crowd, but it goes without saying that safety is the highest priority; we should practice working with each other's powers as much as possible before performing in front of a live audience."

"I agree with the lady," says Wonder. "We need to make sure we can do this like professionals before we get into any shenanigans. Ah know Velocity and Emissary have worked with groups before, how 'bout the rest of ya?" He listens as Emissary talks, considering the scenario he's laid out. "Mebbe we should all do some hero practicing, just so we get our team-buildin' in and so we all know what we can all do."

"Oh, certainly. If there are any materials particularly you might require for such, let me know, and I'll see what I can do."

"Very kind of you, but I don't believe I am in need of anyzhing in particular, I should haff everyzhing I need back at mein laboratory," Archeville replied. "However, I shall contact you tonight after I run an inventory und see for certain."

"I'm just happy to help."

"Actually...." Archeville said, a grin spreading across his face, "I may haff just zhe zhing for you, if you are interested. One of zhe zhings I vas hoping to bring to zhe event was von of mein robots, but zhe von I vould most like to bring is in bad need of repair. Much of zhe control circuitry vas damaged in an... altercation." The German scientist's mind races back to a high school science fair he got talked into being a 'celebrity judge' for some years ago, and the chaos that ensued when some supervillains appeared looking for revenge, and didn't care who got hurt along the way. "Zhough it vould take too long to fully repair it, I might could adapt it to have Mecha-style controls in he head or chest cavity, so zhat you could pilot it from vithin."

"And as for you, Dr Archeville, I for one would certainly line up for a peck."

She gives him a friendly wink and then returns to studying the map, hands on her hips.

Wait, what?

Ohhh yeah.

Archeville was glad he'd stopped smoking long ago, because if he hadn't, his cigarette would be on the floor now. He shook his head to clear his mind, and was tight-lipped for the several moments.

"Well, I could...well, this might sound fairly bizarre and vaguely inappropriate, but in a sense, I could actually be a sort of ride."

I'd like to take a ride on-

SHUT UP!

"...but it goes without saying that safety is the highest priority; we should practice working with each other's powers as much as possible before performing in front of a live audience."

"I agree with the lady," says Wonder. "We need to make sure we can do this like professionals before we get into any shenanigans."

"You both make an excellent point, ja." Archeville says, nodding. "A bit of practice vould be best -- ve don't vant to look like uncoordinated amateurs out zhere!"

"I've done both solo vork und vorked mit teams back in mein homeland, und did adequately vell under both conditions. Zhere are pros und cons to both, but, overall, I'd say vorking mit a team has been best for me."

Mostly to keep an eye on you, and make sure you don't have us do something everyone'll regret!

Ehh, you're no fun!

Rusty clenches his jaw shut so he doesn't make a comment to Gossamer. Dr. Archeville's offer snaps him out of an indecent daydream.

"Wait a second Doc. Did you just offer me a mech? That is so totally awesome! What can this thing do?"

Rusty hops over to Dr. Archeville, landing on the floor with a light thump. "It might be easier for everyone to see a mech fighting than me. I mean, that's part of the reason I win fights. The bad guys just don't see me coming until it's too late. Even if they spot me it's; Hey, there's some really little guy running at me. What's that all abou... oh god my knee!; and then I call in the cleanup crew. So an armored shell might be fun to drive around. Are you sure you want this crowd taking swings at it though? That is probably not covered under insurance."

Oh, he looks like a fun one!

A funyun?

What? No, a- hey, stop distracting me!

Archeville chuckles a bit, "I don't mean for it to be used in fighting! Mein roobt, NERGAL, vas-"

Captain Wonder cut Archeville off, "Excuse me: Nergal?"

"Ja, NERGAL -- Nützlicher Elektronischer Roboter, mit Gedanken Aus Licht. Or, in English, 'Helpful Electronic Robot, with Thoughts (formed) Out of Light'. NERGAL's 'brain' vas , simply put, made of light. It worked on zhe principles of quantum mechanical phenomena like superpositioning und entanglement und-" The scientist cut himself off, forcing himself to stop before going too far off-tangent. "Zhe important zhing is, NERGAL's brain was irreparably damaged, but I may be able to fit it with some mecha-style controls for Rusty."

"As for vhat he can do... vell, as zhe name suggests, NERGAL vas made to be a laboratory assistant, helping me mit some of mein experiments. It vas never meant to be a 'combat robot,' no real veaponry, zhough in a pinch some of he tools mounted vitin his arms can be used offensively. However, in addition to its advanced construction, zhere is another reason I vanted to bring NERGAL in: I designed its body vhile vatching a certain popular 80's cartoon. NERGAL looks like a metallic leonine humanoid, mostly red in color. Zhe kids should get a kick out of it."

[[ OOC: If my acronym/translation is horribly off, I blame BabelFish ;) ]]

Captain Wonder gives Dr. Archeville a very suspicious look. "Did NERGAL go crazy and try to kill you? Because that's what usually happens with robotic assistants, in my experience. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever met a robot that wasn't trying to kill me...besides, er, Emissary here. But you're different, you're more of an android."

The likely unintended sexual innuendo of Gossamer's statement was not lost on Velocity, and the teen speedster was certain it hadn't been lost on many of the males in the room either. But she quickly found herself focusing on the fact the older woman was able to lengthen her hair a considerable distance, and apparently could extend it even further.

"Wow, that's cool."  She said as she looked at the extended strands of hair.  "But is it a pain to take care of? I mean, if your using it to stop criminals and the like, it has to get really dirty."

The rest of the group then began discussing the practicing together for the simulated combat during the event and then about robots. The teenage speedster smiled and nodded in agreement with Captain Wonder.  "Yeah, robots can be a bit of a pain. Couple weeks ago I had to trash half a dozen adaptive robots a professor at HIT was working on because a group of third-rate villains had taken control over them. Thankfully I was able to take them out before they fully copied my speed or other abilities."

Gah, what an insult! We should show them just what a rampaging robot can do!

No, we won't; their concerns are not invalid, and we need to assure them.

You assure, I'll injure. Though that HIT professor's work sounds intriguing.....

Archeville chuckles again and waves his hands dismissively, "No, no, no, NERGAL vas not damaged in some 'mad rampage,' it did not 'go crazy' und try to kill me. It vas damaged vhen it vas hit mit an intense blast of radiation by an enraged supervillain, in zhe opening salvo of zheir attack. None of mein robots haff ever 'gone rogue,' I am sure to conduct thorough tests und install numerous failsafes. Und Kapitan," he added, turning to Captain Wonder, "if you ever vant to see robots zhat do not try und kill you, you are velcome to mein home at any time, I haff plenty of robots zheir to see."

"As for vhat he can do... vell, as zhe name suggests, NERGAL vas made to be a laboratory assistant, helping me mit some of mein experiments. It vas never meant to be a 'combat robot,' no real veaponry, zhough in a pinch some of he tools mounted vitin his arms can be used offensively. However, in addition to its advanced construction, zhere is another reason I vanted to bring NERGAL in: I designed its body vhile vatching a certain popular 80's cartoon. NERGAL looks like a metallic leonine humanoid, mostly red in color. Zhe kids should get a kick out of it."

Rusty tries to puzzle out the Doc's plan. "So... you built a robot to look like a cool fighting robot but it can't fight? I thought robot was latin for mechanical butt kicker? No offense Doc, I'm certain it's a piece of genius technology but I don't think a lot of kids today will pick up on the reference of an 80's cartoon. Especially if it's standing around with a bunch of modern super heroes and it can't do anything super. Sort of like showing up at a Hannah Montana concert with a mechanical Chachi."

"Really? I was under zhe impression zhat 'retro' was 'in,' und zhat zhings from zhe 80s vere all zhe rage, especially in regards to cartoons und comic books?"

"Und zhe vord 'robot' is Czechoslovakian, for 'laborer' or 'servant,' und is less zhan a century old. Zhe idea of artificial beings is far older, of course, dating back to some 4,000 years, to...." Unless stopped, Archeville rambles off a semi-brief history of robotics.

His expression was briefly rueful as a discussion of robots and their propensity for going on insane rampages ensued.

"Let us perhaps just say there are many different types of artificial life and leave it at that.."

"As far as practice, I do have a regular access to Freedom Hall, it would be easy enough to meet there a few days before the event and spend some time going through some basic sort of routines in the Wreck Room so we have a full idea of one another's capabilities."

Wonder looks highly dubious yet of going into action alongside anyone's robotic assistant. But he's willing to keep his peace. "All right, I can make a rendezvous there if necessary. We can also get some practice out in the real world if y'all think that's best, I know a few places nearby that could use some low-powered assistance."

Rusty laughs and says, "That's me in a nutshell low and powered. But the rest of you can tag along if you like. I could really use a full sized partner sometimes." He dashes over to Gossamer and asks, "What do you think Deadlylocks? You wrap em up while I knock their lights out?" Another dash over to Velocity and he grins again ever the optimist, "Maybe you'd be interested? Always had a thing for women that like to go fast." Another hop and he was over at Dr. Archeville, "You could come and bring Nergal. Get the robot to deliver that discussion on Robotics? While they're dazed I'll bash em."

MarkK said:

"As far as practice, I do have a regular access to Freedom Hall, it would be easy enough to meet there a few days before the event and spend some time going through some basic sort of routines in the Wreck Room so we have a full idea of one another's capabilities."

Velocity was more than happy to let discussion of artificial life fall off as they focused on a discussion of how to prepare for the demonstration.

"I can get people in to Freedom Hall and the Wreck Room as well."  She stated, nodding to Emissary.  "So that should provide more opportunity for some of us to meet there to practice a bit."

Cotoloti said:
Another dash over to Velocity and he grins again ever the optimist, "Maybe you'd be interested? Always had a thing for women that like to go fast."

Velocity smiled at the small hero as he ran over by her.  "Sure Rusty, if you think you can keep up."

Velocity said:
"Wow, that's cool."  She said as she looked at the extended strands of hair. "But is it a pain to take care of? I mean, if your using it to stop criminals and the like, it has to get really dirty."

Gossamer groans and rolls her eyes. "You have no idea; I'm probably going to have to move out of my condo because a conventional shower is just not equiped to handle this much hair, and I'm spending a fortune on hair care products. I've sketched out an idea for a sort of miniature waterfall that would then recycle the water to reduce the enviromental impact of my showering, but it will cost a lot of money to design and construct. As grotuesque as I find the concept, I may have to accept an offer to license my likeness for a line of dolls and action figures."

She sighs and shrugs. "But maybe I'm being too harsh; after all, I'm probably a better role model than Barbie in my sleep."

When practicing and teamwork are discussed, the blonde heroine frowns slightly. "I actually haven't done anything particularly heroic, for lack of a better word; I bought a Viking lunch and helped a man change a flat, but that's about it." She smiles a bit sheepishly. "To be honest, part of why I came here was the opportunity to meet and network with other heroes, so I could actually make myself useful."

Cotoloti said:
Rusty laughs and says, "That's me in a nutshell low and powered. But the rest of you can tag along if you like. I could really use a full sized partner sometimes." He dashes over to Gossamer and asks, "What do you think Deadlylocks? You wrap em up while I knock their lights out?"

Gossamer lays a finger across her lips in amused contemplation. "Hmm, there are definitely possibilities to be explored here; if you don't mind, I'd like to pick you up." The twinkle in her eye suggests she's aware of the double entendre.

A thin bundle of fibers, no thicker than a finger, extends out of the golden cloud and gently wraps itself around the pint-sized hero; while she's able to lift him easily, Estelle is still surprised to feel Rusty's actual weight.

"My goodness, that's fascinating! Forgive me for saying so, Rusty, but you're rather dense."

She smiles as she hefts him up and down a few times.

"Just how resistant to injury are you, Rusty? It occurs to me that I could form a sling and hurl you a great distance, but of course I'd need to be sure you'd survive the actual impact."

Rusty laughs with Velocity and falls over. "Oh babe you're waaay out of my league but I'd always be happy to watch your back."

A thin bundle of fibers, no thicker than a finger, extends out of the golden cloud and gently wraps itself around the pint-sized hero; while she's able to lift him easily, Estelle is still surprised to feel Rusty's actual weight.

"My goodness, that's fascinating! Forgive me for saying so, Rusty, but you're rather dense."

Rusty shrugs, "No problem. I get that a lot. Near as I can figure by weight I'm denser than any of the base metals. Just don't start throwing calculus at me."

She smiles as she hefts him up and down a few times.

"Just how resistant to injury are you, Rusty? It occurs to me that I could form a sling and hurl you a great distance, but of course I'd need to be sure you'd survive the actual impact."

"Ha! That would be awesome! I'd be willing to give it a try. Most regular materials will lose in a head butting contest with me. I imagine I might get a bit of a headache smashing into some of the heavy hitters out there. So if it fails miserably I'm knocked out and I miss the fight. Kind of a bummer but I'll get over it."

"The human bullet idea is definitely something to try in a controlled set of circumstances first before taking it to the streets, to put it one way."

A pause.

"Which it seems to me we could do now at that, this is entirely a good cause to be more assertive with my membership benefits. If everyone could reconvene at Freedom Hall in an hour? I'll be taking a bit of time to make sure the room is calibrated for diverse capabilities."

"Which it seems to me we could do now at that, this is entirely a good cause to be more assertive with my membership benefits. If everyone could reconvene at Freedom Hall in an hour? I'll be taking a bit of time to make sure the room is calibrated for diverse capabilities."

Archeville looks to Captain Wonder, Gossamer and Rusty, "Seems as good a time as any to 'introduce' you all to NERGAL, und show zhat not all robots are malevolent murder-machines. Shall ve head back to mein place?"

'Come into my parlor,' said the spider to the fly...

No, you won't be doing that. These would be the first guests we've ever had at our new home, I'm not going to let you ruin it.

Velocity gave Emissary a small smile after the others had left.  "Not like I need to leave first or anything."

She then continued.  "But actually there was something I wanted to speak with you about alone. I need to talk to you about arranging for a place to change during the event. I'am going to have to arrive with my parents, and will need to be doing some changing between my normal self and Velocity as the event progresses."

The Captain looks at Archeville suspiciously, as if half-expecting the man to implant Hitler's brain in him as soon as his back is turned. "Yes, let's...let's go to your place, shall we?" Captain Wonder fears no giant robot, or so he tells himself, anyway.

He leaned back in his chair with a bit of a sigh.

"That is tricky. But first of all, thank you for having trust enough in me to let me know about an issue like that, I appreciate that sort of esteem, and will try my hardest not to dissapoint it."

His tone entirely earnest for a moment, fiercely so, before his expression resumes that thoughtful touch.

"Would you be comfortable with providing a bit more detail on your parents, even if generally? I can think of several potential distractions and occupying events that could be arranged, pending such."

Velocity smiled more broadly as Emissary thanked him for trusting him with the information.  "Well, we are both part of the Freedom League now."  She replied.

She then looked away slightly as he asked about some general detail of her parents. There was really no way she could generally talk about them without him likely figuring out who they were, particularly given her mother's involvement in the event. But, as she said, they were both part of the Freedom League now, and they had worked together several times before. She felt she could trust him with her identity.

"Well, you know my mother very well actually."  She said, as she looked back at Emissary.  "She's Erin Howell."