The Night Flower (IC)

Supercape

Paradigm 

Amara gave a slight nod in agreement to Lexa's observations of her.  The Naram certainly tried to project a sense of security and safety, and it was somewhat reassuring to know that was successful to some degree.  "I very much look forward to the Opera, I would be very surprised if I did not find it interesting."  She replied to the artist's initial comments.

"Sphere did provide us some information on the Bloom," Amara replied as Lexa turned to that subject.  "It sounds like a very interesting specimen, I would be privileged to see it."  She replied, not paying much heed to Muun's hanging on Lexa's every word. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

A few moments later...

Barrier had (with no complaints from the nervous man) disengaged from the Barman, whilst Paridigm had not (with much complaint) disengaged from Munn. Lexa, growing increasingly irritated with the Fish-mayor, lead them to a silent dome of glass, under the beautiful night sky of Nocturne. 

In the centre, another small dome, with bubbling thermally heated water, under ultravoilet glare, was the Bloom. 

It was neither one thing, nor another. Every ten seconds or so, the water exploded into a new form. purples and reds predominated, but every explosion of cellular life was a different hue, sometimes in different parts. It was like crystal, then like leaves, then like a million marbles. 

"It is beautiful" remarked Lexa, watching the display in a slow circular walk. "I am not a scientist, but as I understand it, the Bloom has evolved to this planet's unique conditions. It hibernates for centuries or more, frozen. When a thermal vent appears, in conjunction with starlight, it grows at an unprecedented rate, so fast that the evolving cells actually use the previous bloom for food. A certain minimal amount of new nutrients and chemicals from the vent, a certain amount of light, plus heat, and a new Bloom will eat the old dead ones. What you see..."

The previous Bloom of purple hued spikes died, only to be replaced by a new one of deep aquamarine leaves. 

"...is the new eating the dead"

She paused whilst the Aquamarine leaves died, crumbling, only to be cannibilised by the new bloom, this time of white spiralling tendrils. 

"It is always searching, always trying to evolve, to survive. Alone and unique" she finished, quite enraptured by the site. 

Even Munn was silent, his eyes finally drawn away from his idol. 

"It is my muse" finished Lexa, humbly. "And I dedicate the Night Flower to it. I hope it will listen..."

Barrier took in the news, standing there unmoving. They were cryptic, but they were something she had not heard before. So, there still were some out there? Changed, lonely? She was unsure how to feel. It was good to hear something she’d not heard before. But, even if she had to admit that, in the back of her mind, she’d always expected it to be news along those lines, she was not too happy about it. But it was not anger, or disgust. It was sadness.

She waited for some time, before responding. She spoke slowly, doing her best to keep up a nice, friendly tone. Her head turned, towards where her Imperatrix was talking with their host.

“Yes. I believe I have. This galaxy still needs protectors, and not many are better suited than me. And as Praetorians, we protect. Speaking of which, I believe my presence may be of benefit over there. Thank you for the talk, I will be sure to visit again during my stay.”

With that, she grabbed the drinks, and carefully made her way back through the crowd, until arriving by Paradigm, Lexa, and somebody she didn’t know. She stayed behind the others, she could hear the conversation good enough, and was tall enough to still make eye contact with everyone.

“It does sound interesting, growth and decay, it is at odds with itself, yet also in harmony. I can see how it has inspired you.”

Then, she held forwards her hand, one of the gins in it.

“Im … Paradigm, would you be interested in a Terran Gin too? I believe it should not further affect your condition, but we have to honour our host’s generosity somehow, after all. “

The sight of the flower was different from anything Barrier had experienced before. It moved even quicker than she had assumed. Back on Lyanka, this would have been seen as something too fast to enjoy, and Kresh wasn’t quite sure how to feel about it, but she could certainly see the beauty in it.

Paradigm 

Amara took the gin that Kresh offered, with a small smile.  "Thank you Kresh, you are very right, it would be rude not to enjoy the offered hospitality." 

The Naram then turned to their hostess and her companion.  "Lexa, President Munn Marneen, may I introduce one of my fellow Praetorians, Kresh Melek, also known as Barrier."  She stated by way of introduction as the group started off with Lexa in the lead toward the location of the Bloom. 

Soon the group was inside the doom that housed the viewing area of the Bloom.  Amara watched the rapid changes in color and shape as the Bloom died and was reborn several times in quick succession as she listened to Lexa's explanation of the most unusual organism.   

"I can certainly understand how it would be a great source of inspiration and wonder."  She replied as the Bloom changed form once again, continuing its cycle of death and rebirth.  "I can also understand the interest the Tinker and others would have in studying it."

GM

Munn Marneen was astute enough not to dispense with the formalities, especially with the Paretorians. But it was become increasingly clear he was only interested in Lexa - and perhaps by extension, the Bloom. 

There was a long pause whilst the Bloom was admired by all, until Lexa broke the serenity. 

"There it is, Ladies and Gentlemen. This is of course, a colony in artificial surroundings. Outside, by the Vent, by the Opera, it will be larger, wilder. Not, it should be said, under such optimal situations as this - i am afraid it may not be so rapid or virulent. The vent is not of ideal temperature or ultravoilet light to lead to this" she explained, almost disappointed. 

"But, it will be a fine backdrop in any case. And speaking of which, I must take my leave. The opening is imminent, and there are last minute preparations to make". 

She gave a warm smile and walked off, to beat of Munn's adoring eyes. 

"Excuse me, dear Praetorians" he bowed at Paradigm and Barrier. "I must speak with Lexa..." he apologised, before waddling off after her. 

As he did so, Sphere entered the dome, silent and translucent, lines of amber flowing over its body. 

"I hope you enjoyed the private viewing", it said its smooth melodic voice. "I must apologise however. Lexa has invited a member of the Star Knights, Kit Klikk, to the Opera. He has been here for several days during the preparation. He is asking to speak to you..."

Paradigm 

"We thank you for your time, and look forward to the beginning of the opera."  Amara replied to Lexa with a small bow as the artist prepared to take her leave.  She then turned and returned Munn's bow as well.  "It was a pleasure to meet you president."  She said in farewell before the star stuck Munn set off after Lexa. 

The Naram then turned toward Sphere as the robot entered the dome and informed them of the Star Knight's request.  "No need to apologize Sphere."  Amara replied as she started toward the exit of the dome.  "I am always happy to meet with a Star Knight."

It was quite interesting to hear Lexa talk about the Bloom. Barrier could assume how it worked, as she had received some basic training in the subject a long time ago. The environment sped up the Bloom. It seemed simple, yet, as Lexa gave a hint at the temperature and light, Barrier felt like it wasn’t, like getting it to grow as quickly as this was something that had taken a fair amount of preparation.

Seeing it in a more natural environment would prove to be interesting. How would it change? If the light played an effect, it probably was more than just the speed of growth. A bit lost in her thoughts, Barrier didn’t quite register Sphere entering. So people had already been on the planet for multiple days?

“I look forward to meeting him. Say, are we the only ones this shortly before the start of the opera?”

Then, she turned her attention towards Paradigm. “Quite an interesting setup so far. Even if I am somewhat concerned about the lack of obvious security. From what I have gathered, this is a gathering of high society. … But perhaps I should simply lean back and enjoy the festivities … Now, let us see what the Space Knight has to say, if he has been here for some time he should know the area better than us.”

Paradigm 

Amara listened to Kresh's concerns about the apparent lack of security.  "For someone like Lexa, I would imagine more nondescript security would be preferable to the blatantly obvious.  Of course, it is also possible that the presence of a Star Knight and ourselves is intended to deter any that might have hostile intentions."  She replied, wondering to herself if that was not in fact part of the reason Lexa had extended her invitation. 

"As for this being a 'high society' event, certainly there are a number of prominent beings from various parts of the sector, but Lexa has not limited herself only to such a selection of guests.  When we first arrived, I noted the presence of two bounty hunters, Devil Dog and Red Spear.  I would image there are a number of other guests from more varied backgrounds as well."

GM

Sphere's light seemed to solidify, its skin glistening to hard steel for a moment. "I can assure you that this base is fully secure. The Tinker has installed the best security systems in the galaxy" it said firmly. "Besides which. the serving robots are capable of dealing with any threat in a non-lethal manner"

Back in the main reception hall, twenty minutes to the opening of the Night Flower, the guests had begun to thin out, taking their places. Red Spear and Devil Dog were there, talking to guests in a manner that seemed to be insistent, bordering on interrogation. 

Those same serving robots, all chrome and grace, continued to ply drinks and delicacies. More Terran gin was offered to Barrier. 

Kit Klikk was there, a smallish insect with six limbs in the standard Star Knight armour (albeit modified for his physiology). 

Klikikiki - kik kik - kikiki - ki kikiki - ki

The rapid clicks of the insects mandibles lacked any inflection, it was a kind of advanced more code for communication. Fortunately, his Star Knight armour could communicate. 

"Welcome. Special Event. Apologies for interruption of evening. Warning. This one* tracked Grue spies. On Nocturne. Conjecture - Grue investigating Bloom. Suggestion increased vigilance at event"

Between the mandibles clicking and the drab communication, it was difficult to tell, but Kit seemed subdued and agitated at the same time. Perhaps it was the nature of his race, perhaps not. 

*Standard reference to self used by Kit's race. 

Edited by Supercape

The attendance of two bounty hunters was both troubling and relieving. On one hand, there probably was an ulterior motive for their attendance, they likely didn’t just enjoy the arts. On the other hand, it meant that not everybody at this event was some sort of politician or other figure. Which also meant it would be easier to make smalltalk.

“It is good to hear that security is a concern. I hope, and assume, the tinker knows where to find the best security. Thank you for giving us this information, it is appreciated. “

So it was as Paradigm had assumed. Barrier didn’t quite know what constituted for “the best security”, but it sounded like, between those systems and the attendance of various people able to fight, security would hopefully not be a concern.

Back in the hall, Barrier had to refuse the gin for now. She’d not had much time to finish the one she had gotten before, and it felt wrong to abuse the generosity too much. She’d let Paradigm talk for now, but Kit’s news were most troubling. So much for having a peaceful event. The, as she now knew, bounty hunter’s behaviour also left a lot to be desired.

Paradigm 

"It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance Sri Klikk."  Amara said in greeting as she and Barrier arrived at where the Star Knight was waiting for them.  She listened as his armor translated for him, describing his reason for being on Nocturne.   

Amara frowned ever so slightly.  Since the Incursion, the Grue had been rather quite, having put aside longstanding differences with the Lor and so many others to work against the common threat.  Once that threat was gone, there had been a considerable amount of recovery for the Grue, just as there was for all the races and powers that had struggled against the Communion.   

But now it appeared as if the Grue were starting to move back toward their more traditional means of operating.  Amara hoped this might turn out to be some sort of misunderstanding, but still she needed to be prepared for it being exactly what Kit Klikk said it was. 

"We thank you for the information on your mission."  She replied to the Star Knight.  "We will certainly be mindful of anything suspicious, and are willing to offer whatever assistance we can if needed."

GM

Kit Klikk scuttled away in an agitated state. He did looked far from at peace; looking this way, and that, his antenae vibrating, as if he could see and feel Grue in every corner of the hall. He had even looked at Paradigm and Barrier in an odd way, scrutinising them carefully. 

The grand opening of Act I was only minutes away and the hall had almost emptied, although Devil Dog and Red Spear were still there, this time trying to grill the small barman, who looked petrified. 

"No no...I swear....I mean...err..." he looked around nervously, his eyes catching Barriers. He gave a pained look at Barrier, pleading silently for help - to be rescued from the two bounty hunters. 

Sphere approached Barrier and Paradigm, looking highly vexed. Ugly purple blots of darkness oozed across its chrome surface. 

"Calamity! Oh Calamity! It is only twelve minutes until opening, and Lexa has gone missing!"

Paradigm 

Amara focused on Sphere as the small robot approached, apparently in some distress, the reason for which was quickly clear as Sphere spoke.  While she would not be particularly surprised if Lexa had intentionally gone missing to add a little flair to her opera, Amara also knew she could not just ignore the situation. 

She also glanced over at the scene by the bar where the two bounty hunters were questioning the bartender.  "Barrier, why don't you go see what is going on with our fellow guests over there and see if you cannot be of some assistance."  She stated before focusing fully on Sphere once more.

"Please calm down Sphere, we will do all we can to help locate Lexa."  Amara began.  "Where was the last place you or anyone else saw her?"

GM

The admittedly already metallic surface of Sphere steeled. "As far as I am aware, the last time she was seen was in the Bloom - garden. With you, Barrier, myself and President Munn"

Sphere paused a moment, reflecting. Ironically (and possibly, given Lexa's influence, deliberately), its surface become mirror like, External reflection reflecting its internal reflection.

"Whom it seems nobody has seen either. He is certainly neither in this hall or in his seat at the opening"

The clock in the Hall ticked way its seconds. 

"This may, of course, be innocuous. But it is certainly bad timing. In any case, the opera is difficult to delay, and impossible to delay long. The audience will agitate. A certain amount of anticipation may heighten the palate for drama, but only so much" mused Sphere, still perfectly reflective. 

"If she cannot be located in adequate time, the band can follow the introduction score for now. Of course, we would still need a suitably prestigious, respected, and famous master of ceremonies to stand in for the raising of the curtain..." it mused. 

Somehow, the reflective surface seemed to reflect Paradigm's face so very clearly....

Things had started to happen a lot quicker than Barrier had hoped, and expected. There was a real possibility this was not an issue, and that Lexa simply had gone off to do something without telling anybody, but there was also a chance that this actually was serious. And simply that possibility meant that there was no time to wait.

Of course, it wasn’t going to be just one thing. No, two things had to happen simultaneously. The bounty hunters were acting a lot crasser than what Kresh had hoped, she’d assumed they’d at least try to not stand out.

Paradigm’s orders made sense. They both had things they were better at, and for Kresh it was dealing with people that decided to threaten others. She nodded.

“Already on it. Once that is dealt with, I will also look for Lexa. “

With that, she walked off, on a direct line towards the bar. There, she approached from behind the two bounty hunters, and towering over them, looked at the bartender. She spoke, strategically placing herself between the two, both threatening them and telling them she wasn’t afraid, without having to say a word.

“I decided to come back. I hope these two aren’t being a problem?”

GM

The Bar, Reception Hall

Red Spear was doing most of the talking. She was a tall, slender alien with red hair, red eyes, and red leathers that blended a bit of high tech, a bit of low tech. Barrier could see she was wearing "Jump boots", a neat little fashion that allowed large leaps through the air. No weapons that he could see, but on the other hand she had a serpentine look to her. 

"We heard Zaul was here. There has a been a bounty as big as a this planet on his head for the past five years. You look like you know something my little friend. Mouth shut, eyes open. You don't want to be polishing glasses and chrome all your life, do you? We could make it well worth your while..." she finished, letting the words linger. 

Devil Dog was over eight feet tall and nearly as broad. His race must have been spectacularly ugly, or he was a messed up individual. Quite possibly, both. His face was a yawning maw of teeth that looked jumbled up but dangerous. Unlike Red Spear, his garb was pure barbarian. Leathers, furs, skulls and bones tied together in a haphazard fashion. Whilst Red Spear was quick, he was powerful. 

He licked a lopsided tongue over lopsided but certainly sharp teeth. 

"And you don't want to get on our wrong side..." he slobbered. 

The Barman whimpered. 

"Please...puh...puh lease...leave me alone...ah...puh...lease...help me!" he implored Barrier. 

Devil Dog looked at Barrier as if he was going to eat her. 

The two looked a bit more dangerous up close. Not that it mattered much to Barrier. She’d taken on bigger threats, and it was likely that even they didn’t want to get involved in a fight, not during this kind of event. And if they did, then Barrier could handle them.

She didn’t flinch, or really move much, before turning her head towards Devil Dog, who was about as tall as her. A rather rare occurrence, and Barrier actually enjoy being able to make eye contact with somebody without having to look downwards. All the while, she also turned her body slightly, showing her Red Spear her back, with the shield of Elmega strapped to it. She spoke calmly, with a nice tone, one that suggested she knew exactly what was going on.

“I believe the opera is about to start. You should really move back to your seats. I imagine the bar will be closed for some time, so if you need anything, ask the robots. “

GM

The Bar, Reception Hall

"Brack off" barked Devil Dog at Barrier, the saliva from his mutated mouth spraying everywhere. "I'll shove your Trikugh up your Rhagrach" he said meaningfully. 

Red Spear put a hand on his shoulder and pulled him away. It looked like if anyone but Red Spear had done that, the Devil Dog would be eating a hand sandwich. 

"Cool you Rhagrach" she told the large alien. "She's a Praetorian. Right?" she said forcefully. "Don't want to mess with them"

Devil Dog conceded as much as his flared nostrils and dribbling mouth would let him. Which was a grumbling spluttering mumbling something. Possibly involving roasting Barriers' Rhargrach in some exotic spices. It was hard to say. 

Talking to Barriers back, Red Spear continued; 

"I apologise for my partner here. He is a bit of a sledgehammer. We are just trying to earn a living" she explained, trying to sooth the situation. "I am afraid he has a condition" she explained delicately, miming a squirming mouth. "Makes him a bit irritable. Can get a little carried away sometimes"

On close up Red Spear looked pretty standard Lor; probably human, bar her red eyes, which, on closer examination looked like they were cybernetic implants. Still - they matched her colour scheme. 

"We have been tracking a criminal for years. A slug by the name of Zaul Zeno, wanted for a number of crimes by the law, and wanted for a lot more by several wealthy individuals who are not quite so lawful themselves" she explained, pointedly not elucidating which bounty she and her partner were seeking. 

"Nocturne would be a good hiding place. Might have thrown his lot in with the Tinker. Makes sense - Tinker is clean, but nobody knows what he looks like. And both of them are...experimenters" she said, pointedly, hissing the last word. 

Paradigm 

Somehow Amara was not terribly surprised that President Munn was missing as well, although she hoped that it was not due to something more sinister on Munn's behalf.  As Barrier moved over toward the bartender and the bounty hunters, Amara was considering how best to begin looking for Lexa when Sphere suggested her as possible stand in for the artist at the beginning of the opera. 

"If it becomes necessary I would be willing to act at the master of ceremonies for the opening Sphere."  She replied.  "But first let us use the time we have to see if we can find Lexa."

"I am sorry, but we need to move a bit more quickly," she stated as she reached out to gently grab the robot. Then she took to the air, flying quickly from the reception hall and up into the air above the compound.  "Where is President Munn's quarters?  That might be a first place to begin looking."

GM

Sphere flashed like the sun (on, poetically, a sunless world) at Paradigm's offer. 

"I have detailed files" explained Sphere. "The entire complex, and resident suites. President Munn is not far" he said, whizzing off at an impressive speed, silently floating at head height. 

A minute later, T -10 minutes....

There was of course, a lock, but Sphere had override to practically every function in the palace of the Tinker. The door opened smoothly. Inside was a glass and chrome dome, fairly extravagant, although a little cold somehow. The clear and beautiful night sky, with no sun to pollute with light, lay above. 

No sign of Munn, but plenty of Munns belongings. Including clothes, electronics, computer, and so forth. And several - or perhaps more acturately several dozen books, autographs, pictures and holograms of Lexa (and, to a lesser extent, her works). 

Barrier didn’t have much of a reaction to Devil Dog’s threats. If they were meant to be threats? She wasn’t sure, and she didn’t care much. Bigger, probably stronger people had tried these things. And it hadn’t worked much better those times.

Instead, she focused her attention on Red Spear. She clearly was the brains of the operation, and if what she told was correct, then Barrier didn’t have too big of an issue with the two of them. Perhaps she’d heard the name once? She didn’t really remember, she picked up on a lot of names during her travels.

“Ah, yes. I believe we have little reason to be, how do you say it… in each other’s hair then. I will inform you in case I learn of anything, but for now I suggest returning to your places. And perhaps, to handle this in a more subtle way? If it is as you say and this Zeno were hiding here, by now he would clearly know about you and be prepared.  Or have fled already.  

GM

The Reception Hall Bar...

Red Spear frowned deeply. "You think we came for the Opera?" she asked, with a deep bitterness in her voice. 

"Music? Hah! That life was torn from me" she said angrily - so much so that she seemed to be blaming Barrier for whatever life tragedy had hit her. "How can I watch others sing when...."

She got control of herself and crunched her hands into fists again and again, violently. 

"Zeno will pay for his little experiments" she said, her voice turning from rage to bitterness once again. 

Devil Dog grunted, almost mournfully. 

"And...yes, he will help too..." she added, looking at her partner. There was a moment of tension between them. How much did they actually trust each other?

"Well this little mouse won't talk" she sighed, barging past Barrier forcefully, elbowing the Praetorian in the ribs rather brusquely as she did. 

Devil Dog frowned and looked at Barrier before he too left. "I was born into Pain" he said, pointing at his mess of a mouth. "I want a fix. Zeno could fix me" he said with almost desperation in his eyes. He looked at Red Spears back. "I think maybe she want's to kill him...." he said, shaking his head. 

With a snort of saliva and a peck of rage, he too stormed off. 

Barrier didn’t give the two bounty hunters any visible reaction. She just let them rant on, and then make the exit. Internally, she sighed. Something had changed when it came to bounty hunting. Maybe it was just her perception, but it felt like nowadays there were so many more that did not care about things like subtlety and finesse. Sure, it made her job easier, but it also meant more work.

And bounty hunters chasing somebody for personal reasons? That spelt disaster right away. The two were somebody to watch, even more so than their position already made them. Whatever it was that was affecting them, it meant that things could get ugly. Either way, the most immediate issue had been dealt with. Perhaps the barman could help with the other, ultimately more important, problem.

Barrier walked closer to the counter, looking downwards towards the bartender once more.

“They should hopefully leave you alone now. Say, did Lexa mention anything about last minute preparations she had to do herself’”

GM

The Bar, Reception Hall

The Barman, short and shrivelled, started - albeit with a slow trajectory - to recover his composure. He poured himself a drink of the very same terran Gin he had served Barrier. With the additional touch of a Carpellian Olive which leaked it purple juices into the spirit. 

He took a long gulp. 

"Ah...I can't stand it...." he concluded, slamming the drink down nearly untouched. "How those foul Terran's can drink such excrement is beyond me. In all my years I..." he shook his head. He seemed angry now. 

"And how those two got an invite...hmph. Money, I expect. And influence. Red Spear, she has leverage in high places. She has been searching for Zeno for years. It was only a matter of time, I suppose" he said, pulling himself together promptly. 

"As for Lexa? Now...I...I confess I am not an artist. At least not in that way. The machines, maybe..." he waves lazily at the chrome servants who were now almost idle. 

"I honestly don't know much about what she has planned. Gave...given...free licence, as far as I know. I have seen many of the musicians gather backstage. I would have thought she would be there if you want her. Although I would think she would be busy...it is not long now..." he glanced at the hall clock. 

"Which reminds me, I must take my seat too. I don't want to miss this! A moment to be remembered!" he finished, excitedly, throwing down his polishing cloth and scuttling off. 

Paradigm 

Amara looked around Munn's empty room for a few moments, noting his collection of images of Lexa.  While she did not generally judge someone’s obsession with legal private interests, she had to wonder if his obsession with Lexa went a bit too far. 

Turning away, she walked back out of the room.  "At this point it might take longer than we have to continue a thorough search of the area."  She said to Sphere.  "Perhaps it would be best to get me to the state so I can act as Lexa's stand in and start the opera.  Then you can go find Barrier and get her searching the area around the Bloom-garden.  I will rejoin the search once the opera has begun."