[OOC] A Heavy Metal Christmas

Sophistemon

The How the Grinch Stole Christmas reference nets you a Hero Point.

I concur that this should be an Area of Effect attack, but you're right; with the storm going Pangolin wouldn't see it coming. I'm going to split the difference and give you a +5 on your DC, bumping it up to DC30; let's call it Lethal Damage, too.

As we're now officially in combat, I'm going to start posting my rolls publicly. With that in mind, let's see how you did.

Pangolin

DC30 Toughness Save: 1d20+17 24.

So, this is interesting. He's failed by 6 so he is bruised, injured, and stunned for one round. The injury we'll call internal damage; the impact of the pre-fab has ruptured something inside Pangolin's biomechanical body. It's his being stunned that had some ramifications. Because he's stunned he both loses his chance for a retaliatory attack against Warne and he's vulnerable to being the subject of a surprise attack. This means he loses his Dodge Bonus and suffers an additional -2 penalty to Defense.

Nice job.

Due to this being a surprise attack Upgrade hits Pangolin automatically when you factor in the cyborg's various penalties. Pangolin is already operating at a -1 to Toughness due to his bruise and Corrosion might also make him more vulnerable to damage. We'll see how that plays out below. Now, Corrosion is a linked Drain Toughness/Damage effect, so for Upgrade the DCs are 20 and 25, respectively.

Pangolin

DC20 Fortitude Save: 1d20+6 11. Ouch. That results in a -10 penalty to Pangolin's toughness, restored at +1 per round.

DC25 Toughness Save: 1d20+6 26. That's just unbelievable. So he's fragile as an egg, but doesn't actually take any damage.

We're now in the first of our actual combat rounds, so please roll Initiative.

Pangolin's Initiative Check: 1d20+10 12.

Upgrade's Initiative Check: 1d20+10 22.

There's more proof that, despite his bravado, Pangolin is... doing pretty poorly inside. In two hits we've done some major damage.

Factoring in the -2 penalty for Fatigue, Adept's Initiative bonus drops to +10, I believe. 

Initiative: 1d20+10 30

I should be happy about that roll, but really I'm feeling that I'll want that natural 20 later in the game when it really counts.  >:(  In any case, I'll go back to Warne's regular trick and just hit Pangolin with Psychokinesis for a quick auto-hit DC25 Toughness check. 

Okay, Upgrade's hit took Pangolin down to meager +6 Toughness score, but a round has passed so that improves to an equally pathetic +7.

Pangolin

DC25 Toughness Save: 1d20+7 13. Okay, normally Pangolin would be Staggered and Stunned, but I'm going to use a GM fiat to re-roll. Blarghy, you gain a Hero Point.

DC25 Toughness Save (re-roll): 1d20+7 16. Okay, he rolled a 9 so we add 10, that's a 19+7 for a total of 26. Once again, Pangolin soldiers through taking any damage.

Upgrade

DC17 Attack Roll (penetrating blast): 1d20+10 27. That's a definite hit, blasting way past Pangolin's meager defenses. He depends on tanking damage, not avoiding it -- and when that armor's gone...

Pangolin

DC25 Toughness Save: 1d20+7 9. Well, when that armor's gone, something like this happens. That's a failure of 16; Pangolin is down for the count.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gonna do the usual auto-hit psychokinesis hit, for a DC25 Toughness check.  I thought about grappling it instead, but let's see if Warne can damage it first to make it safer--or at least wait for Ethan to return and help.

Edit:  wow, I completely forgot to check against that attack.  :S  Sorry!

Toughness: 1d20+10 12

...Well, the good news is, you gave me a Hero Point for my Grinch reference (which I think is my last one?  Or do I have two HP left?  I can't even remember).  I'll burn it to avoid repeating our Mantis fight.

Toughness Reroll: 1d20+10 25

There we go!

Edited by Blarghy