Peace On Earth, And Mercy Mild? (IC) (Open)

Quinn

"I wouldn't worry... I think there is actually historical precedent."

She pulls out a smart phone and starts looking up a newspaper archive. How she has such fast wireless is something she likes to keep under the bubble helmet.

"Ah... Storm Festival of 1990, There was a celebration right here. Again in 2001, there's records of ones in the past too. Seems whenever a snowstorm comes on the holiday, there is a party."

She smiled. "This isn't unheard of, although with the climate changing there's been fewer ones. In the 1980s there was one every year for a short stretch. Timing was sort of perfect on those storms.

Adjusting herself she makes sure the lines are not tangled on her parachute and presses a button, the chute's auto-storage feature kicks in and in a manner of 15 seconds the chute folds and stores itself in a puff of snow. "Let's take this for what it is... there is a good reason to be mindful and watchful, but also it's probably a good idea to just let things be what they are... anything to see people together and be happy. Can't beat that in these dark days of the year."

"Half way through the dark... we've made it... soon it will be spring, and the flowers will bloom again, and the cherry blossoms will open..."

Sakurako cleared her throat. "So there is this matter of the egg-nog, I'll take one from the kid's booth then."

She looked over to Grimalkin. "Also, this storm was natural. It was a rather well positioned low pressure system that took a classic nor'easter path, combined with a strong high over the great lakes and still warm water on the Gulf Stream. If it was any earlier it would have been a sub-tropical storm or hurricane even. Nothing about this storm pointed to a external influence."

"I'm just glad I didn't pick up on any distress calls... the last time I did that I ended up in the hospital and had my first near-death experience."

"To be honest, 2016 has had it's share too... glad it's over soon."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kat honestly had not considered that superpowers might have had something to do with this without malice, but it was possible.

I mean, if she was strict about all this, someone using powers to do what was happening in the street was probably illegal, somehow. For traffic obstruction, and whatever mental manipulation was called in court. But Kat supposed it was possible that maybe someone was just feeding on the happiness because they were . . . Hungry? Or some superhero was pumping up the holiday cheer because they liked the season? Kat crossed her arms and hrmphed. "I still don't think this part just . . . Happened. But you could be right," she admitted, reluctantly. "It could be harmless."

People had more ridiculous motives to use their powers than 'the spirit of Christmas,' anyway. This was Freedom. 

Edited by Curious Key

Kwame watches as Endeavor rattles over fact after fact about the history of Freedom.  This kid's got skills with the net.  Perhaps I could get her to help me set up my superhero account.  Not really sure what site to do that with.

He nods at her request for eggnog.  "That's one for you, Endeavor and one for....I'm sorry, I didn't get your name," he says looking at the stone creature.

Once he gets Gargoyle's name, he heads over tot eh eggnog booth and orders one alcoholic and two nonalcoholic eggnogs.  While in line, he buys drinks for the couple standing behind him as well.  "Courtesy of Hammer.  Make sure you catch my debut match with the Ultimate Wrestling League next month.  I promise to give you a show you'll never forget!"  The couple graciously accept the eggnog and promise to try to make the match.

Kwame returns to the small group of heroes, the eggnog in a carrying tray.  "Okay. The ones with the blue wrapping on the side are the nonalcoholic ones.  The red one has alcohol."  He passes a cup first to Endeavor and then to Gargoyle.  

"By the way, Endeavor.  If you have time, I'd like your help getting my superhero profile set up online.  It could be pretty useful to get in touch with other heroes if needed."

Sakurako opened the helmet on her suit, there was a puff of air before the suit's neck kept the warm air in her suit contained. Pulling out a knit cap that had a star map, drawn out constellations and all on her head. She takes her warm egg nog and has a sip. "I could help with your digital presence, particularly in setting up a means to be secure in terms of your identity. Maybe come up with an app for your smart phone and a smart program on any desktop or laptop that can keep track of when people use hash tags or tags about your heroic identity."

She smiled. "And call me Sakurako... Sakurako Hino. My Identity isn't a secret as a code name... It's more a handle or callsign. It also helps when your parents are former superheroes themselves. Not too many wish to mess with you.It's better when you can use your name and any title on your scientific papers or patent applications, as well."

Then again there was talk in AEGIS that she would have her own identity if necessary when running on their missions... complex situation that.

She smiled at Kat's careful nature. "Helps to keep a skeptic mind, but if you're not open to something just being what it is, you'll miss the beauty of something."

"The universe is full of this sort of thing."

Kwame beamed broadly.  "Thanks! Though there's nothing secretive about my identity.  Anybody with knowledge of the wrestling world would already know who I was.  I decided to keep my wrestling name as I start dabbling in the world of heroes.  I would hate to lose all my fan base.  Do you know how hard it was just to get popular in the wrestling world?"  Kwame shivered from the memory of the grueling experience.  "Let me tell you, it's not something I don't want to go through a second time!"

Kwame took a sip from the steaming hot eggnog.  The drink was smooth and light with just a taste of brandy.  Not bad.  Not as good as Grandma Harris' , but a decent substitute.  I'll have to contact Camille about getting her recipe.  Should have gotten it years ago.

"Maybe we can get that all set up before the new year?  It shouldn't take long.  What would I need to get things sorted out?"

"It's not too hard at all, you just gotta find the right network. I don't do much in the hero-net in terms of options, as I mostly consort with scientists and professors. I'd reccomend TroubAlert for a channel for monitoring for emergencies, and HeroHouse for more social networking and the PR side of things."

"I wager you're not a type to go into things without an Agent? Might be a good idea to retain one and a lawyer. The agent to handle the business side of your heroics and moving the money around to charities and what-not, and the Lawyer to take care of the inevitable lawsuit."

It was a surprise Sakurako had some business savvy. "I've been under my Folks' shield for now, but once I graduate those are two things to consider, as well as my future in general."

"Also nice costume... adapted your wrestling guise to heroics? Can the fabric take the punishment? I mean I heard that image is a thing."

Agent? Lawyer? Inevitable lawsuits?  Is the heroic business one I really want to get into? Kwame looked a little worried.  "Um, thanks for the advice.  I'll make sure to look into all of that."

Kwame looked down at his clothes and smiled broadly.  He spread his arms to give everyone a better look.  "Actually, I'm a member of the Ultimate Wrestling League.  They gave me the suit so I'm sure it can take licking but the design was actually from my nephew.  I've been wearing his designs in the ring since 2010.  He's perhaps my biggest fan.  He hasn't seen this one yet. I haven't had the chance to get any real exposure with it on.  that'll change of course come next month.  I'll be having my debut match with UWL and expect that's when I'll get to show people what I can do as a superhero as well."

Sakurako has never in her life seen Pro Wrestling. She had seen glimpses of promo signs around Tokyo Dome, or popping about around the country, but she's never seen a match. "I should see your debut then."

What? A Genius girl like her wanting to see Pro Wrestling?!? Unheard of! "Besides, I've always been curious about the mythos behind it."

"Also you seemed to skip a beat for a moment when I mentioned the lawyers, it's just a precaution, not a necessity. The law tends to protect heroics, but civil suits could happen once in a blue moon. Better to retain a lawyer just in case. Besides you'd need one to look over contracts and what-not too. So it's best to have one in your pocket..."

She looked over his costume. "THAT'S WHAT YOU NEED! Decent pockets!" She says, looking over his design. "I've actually been interested in uniform design for superheroes, looking to make it a business, in fact. Gotta have something to bring money in outside my trust fund and patent cash rolling in."

"The black and red is striking, though... I wager you're pretty tough, so using a graphene derived fabric won't be necessary..." Sakurako starts losing herself in thought on ideas for a moment, sipping on her egg-nog. "Could use some form of head-covering if you're a flier... don't know what your power-set is just yet. Gets cold when flying at any noticeable speed in winter or at high altitude..."

"Hmm... now I'm getting ideas for upgrades to my suit... I'm surprised this suit hasn't sprung leaks in cold weather mode or outright tore itself in counterpressure mode from all the patching and repairs... testament to the skill of the repair teams and my own fabrication lab."

Kwame smiled at Sakurako's enthusiasm.  I like her! A good head on her shoulder and easy to talk to.  I hope the other heroes I run into can be as interesting.

"My powers are pretty simple, actually.  I'm strong.  No flying but I can leap a good distance."  He slaps his legs to draw Sakurako's attention.  "The muscles on these babies can get me some good distance.  but other than that, that's about it.  Oh, I can take a punch or two; even a few rounds from a machine gun can't faze me.  Found that out just recently.  Can you believe some punks tried to rob a restaurant in Freedom city and only brought machine pistols?  I tell you, an idiot is born everyday!  Ruined a perfectly good shirt in the process."

"I . . . Like black and red?" Kat plucked at her vest and grimaced. Of course you do, that's why you're wearing it. EARTH TO KAT.  

"Try not to feel too bad," she said, nominally to Kwame, but mostly to herself. "She's a supergenius. Endeavor could think circles around all of us on our best day. Just gotta take your pleasures where you can." Kat looked over her shoulder above Sakurako's head. The corner of her mouth twitched upward.

She shook her head, firmly to herself. No. Kat tried to find a different track of thought and found one.

"Yeah, that happens sometimes." Kat said to Kwame, giving good shrug. "A bunch of guys with harpoon guns attacked the aquarium once, when I was just getting started a couple years ago. That's just Freedom for you. Guns are the least bizarre thing a hero is going to get pointed at them."

"Well if we're not going to be all paranoid and overanalyze everything, we oughta at least have some fun with all this." A swirl of vapor obscured Grim for several seconds and when it dissipated, she looked a bit...different, and significantly taller! "I know everyone's pretty much burned out on Frozen these days, but if ever there was a time that called for a little Disney magic, this is it!"

She waved her arms dramatically, and a small fortress of ice and snow appeared out of thin air; there were battlements and stairs, and lookout towers on each end, and even a gate with a portcullis made of icicles (which the changeling was careful not to make too sharp). There were audible gasps of wonder, and then the kids began swarming all over it, followed by their nervous but equally excited parents.

"There we go," said the stately 'Queen Elsa' as she dusted off her hands. "Now we're having some fun!"

Edited by Heritage

Sakurako smiled. "Popular character in the winter." She said with a smile, sitting on her snow ring. "It's sorta sad really... in a few months this'll all be gone and we'll be picking swimsuits... Oh my... flooding... didn't think of that. Spring's gonna be busy for us if this snow sticks around and melts off fast." She said, sipping her egg-nog again."

She holds up her mug. "To a slow thaw and a kind climate." She said, blushing.

Kwame's mouth dropped open in awe as he watched Grimalkin first changed her appearance before creating an ice castle.  Did she just make an ice castle?  Powers, I always knew was around, but magic as well?  How am I going ot be even effective as a hero if there's abilities like that out there?  I really need to rethink this whole hero business.

Slowly, he closed his mouth and stared a little longer at Grimalkin.  "Wa...was that magic?  Hell, are you even real?"  He twisted his head around towards the others to see if they were a shocked to see magic being used but when he noticed their indifference, he choked and straightened his jacket, Picard style.

"Um, could you make a second one?  You can't have a snowball battle without two forts.  Well, the kids could just play king of the castle, but I always enjoyed the teamwork needed for snowball fights."

Kat stared, expressionless, for a long moment. She rested the palm of her hand on the side of her face, covering up one eye, and sighed. "Freedom." She'd been here for a quarter of her life, by now. She couldn't imagine leaving, not yet. But while the city had stopped surprisingly her long ago, the city continued to offer Kat no end of exasperation. 

A flash of red, a sharp pained sound and Warp was up on the battlements, peering around. Then, the other one. Inside the castle peering at the detail work. She took her time to admire it.

After about thirty seconds she warped back outside, appearing just a foot off the ground and falling very nearly into the same holes her boots had left in the snow before. "That's real cool, but how'd you know to stow away an ice castle? That's awfully specific."

Edited by Curious Key

"Yep, that was magic," ElsaGrim declared proudly as she watched with delight as the children enjoyed her creation. Then she picked up a little of what had Hammer so unnerved. "Look, it's perfectly natural to be freaked out by magic." The mist swirled around her again, only this time she looked and sounded exactly like Warp! "Unless you grow up around it, or like you come from a magical realm, it's always going to be super-weird, right?" She gave the real Warp a wink and 'shot' her with two finger pistols before returning to back to Elsa. "The key is to remember that no one can to everything; like, I can change my shape and do all this cool stuff-"

She paused for a second to create another ice fortress, directly across from the first one, separated by about a thirty foot gap; this one was the 'monster' castle, with gargoyles (inspired by a nearby model!), stalactites, and a gate that looked like a grinning skull. Several kids broke off from the original group to claim the new fortification for themselves.

"Good idea, by the way," she said with a wink before continuing. "But I can't go toe-to-toe with the heavy hitters the way a guy like you can; they'd clean my clock! Plus, you can always specialize; me, I mostly focus on supernatural threats, and leave the more straightfoward stuff to people like you and Warp here. There's plenty of craziness to go around, believe me!"

Then she turned to address Warp's question. "Actually, all this stuff comes from up here." She tapped the side of her head with a graceful finger. "And it's as real as I say it is; terrifying, isn't it?" Her eyes widened as she raised her curled fingers in mock horror. 

Edited by Heritage

Kwame's head was spinning form the show of power from the heroes.  The sudden disappearance and reappearance of Warp plus Grimalkin's continued display of magic was causing Kwame a small fit of jealousy.

"I'm not that freak out by magic. More like I'm surprised it's real.  My life, up till this point, has been fairly grounded.  I can understand things of science but magic is something that's going to take some time to get my head around."  Kwame downed the last of the eggnog and crushed the cup in his hand.  "To me, it seems that if you have magic on your side, you'll be able to keep the heavy hitters from actually hitting you.  Well, someone like me at least.  No idea how you could stop someone like Warp here."

Kwame moved over to a nearby trash can and emptied his hand.  "Since you ladies have decided to show off a bit, I can't be undone.  It's my job to be in the limelight and what better way to introduce the great people of Freedom to my presence than to show off a little."  

He looked at the two castles for a moment.  Having made his decision, he bent over and gathered some snow in his hands.  As he straightened up, his powerful legs launched him into the air towards the newly formed 'monster' castle.  He landed on the roof, near one of the gargoyles.  He smiled down at the small group of heroes and held his arms out above his head.  

"I am Hammer and claim this castle and it's occupants as mine.  Together, we shall conquer all!  Minions!  Prepare for battle!" he yelled loudly to be heard by most of the people in the area.  He turned to the children that had joined him in the castle and said to them, "You see that group of heroes down there?  Yeah, the ones next to Elsa.  They're the enemy.  We must use snowballs to slay them.  If we hit them three times, they're out.  If we get them all, you'll all get tickets to my debut match with the Ultimate Wrestling League!  Are you with me?"  The small group of children screamed out in agreement and started scooping up snow.  

Kwame turned back towards the 'enemy' and launched the snowball he had already held in his hands right at Gargoyle!  The snowball sailed through the air and though it moved quickly towards its target, Kwame had but no strength behind it.  The idea was to have fun, not cause any harm.    Kwame smiled down at the heroes, wondering how they would react.

Sakurako was caught in the middle. She calmly rummaged in her backpack for a few moments flopping out what looked like a orange packet made of a shiny material. She pulled a string and it started hissing as what looked like supports in what is now a rapidly deploying tent take form, filling solid. She crawls in and closes the front door.

"Magic's cool, unfortunately I have to make due with Science. I wanna enjoy my egg nog and not take a snowball to the ear, thank you." She said. "If anyone is interested in some cozy time with their's, just knock."

Snowball fights were a thing Sakurako hated about winter. She pressed a button on a holographic display on her tent and the text MEDIC appeared on the upper panels with a slight glow, with proper translations in the 3 common languages other than English spoken in Freedom City. "I also have a full first aid kit if there's any injuries."

Kat blinked, put a hand on her chin and stared at Grim-Warp. She put her hands on her hips and harrumphed. "That's just straight up bad." She admonished. "Being that cute ought to be a crime." Grinned.

Part of Warp wasn't sure how to take the extent of Grim's powers. Just . . . Making it out of nowhere? "That seems like it'd really come in handy," Warp said. She wondered how strong it was? Would it hold out against her bolts, or was it just normal ice . . . ? That's rude, Kat. Don't do that. "Never seen any creation stuff be that flexible. Normally it's all 'I'm a rock controller and I make rock towers!' But this feels different."

"I am not in the mood to school you all today," Warp announced, sauntering off toward Sakurako's tent. She peered inside, getting a good luck at the interior, before papping lightly on the 'door.' A flash of black-red and she was inside.

Kwame watched with a little disappointment as the two heroes disappeared into the tent.  Looks like you're on your own here.  Well, like Grandma Harris always says, when the world gives you lemons, make lemonade!

"It seems we have scared off our opponents!  But now that I stand alone, I must devour you!"  Kwame jumped from the castle, landing between the two castles.  "To save your city, you must take me down!"  He launched a snowball at his castle that hit one of the parapets.  

The kids shouted and snowballs rained down around him.  Kwame made a point of dodging most of the blows, but allowed a few to be very near misses.  After a short time, he challenged the kids to frontal combat.  His eyes widen as five, ten, twenty kids began charging from the castles.  With fear in his eyes, Kwame raised his arms and ran. 

The battle was tough but fun for the kids.  After twenty minutes a large pile of children were on top of Kwame.  "I give! Uncle!  You've bested me!" he yelled from the bottom of the pile.  The children screamed in delight as they stood up.  Kwame followed, brushing snow from his clothes.  "As promised, you are all invited to see Hammer's first battle in Freedom.  Look for me at Millennium Mall."

He moved over to the tent and knocked.  "Hey, thanks for the fun, but I need to get home.  I've got an important meeting tomorrow,  You're all welcomed to the debut match next month at Millennium Mall.  Oh, and Endeavor, I'll get in touch with about helping me set up my online profile.  Take care."

Sakurako opened the flap to her tent, ushering Warp in, her suit looked like it had sprung a leak, as it was form-fitting now, although it was quite warm in the tent. Of course that was just her suit adapting to the nicer conditions inside the bubble-tent.

"The heater works half-way quick... should be warm enough to take the jacket off momentarily." Sakurako said, sitting on her snow ring that was shedding off melting snow. She picked up her egg-nog she had been quietly sipping. "I hate snowball fights... probably from the one time I got nailed in the head with one... in the ear."

"Still remember the pain... for a 7 year old such a thing was... traumatic." She said, pointing to a raised cushion nearby. Looks like whatever inflated the rib-supports of the tent also puffed up a decently soft pillow on the floor... a whole bed actually. There were four in the tent total, enough for a full grown person each.

Kat tugged at her jacket for a moment. It dissolved into thin air, leaving Kat in her bodysuit. The garden variety sort of thing that heroes who weren't quite tough enough all on their own relied on to take a punishment when they didn't have anything else to serve. Kat had tried to listen to someone describe it once, but she could almost feel her brains dripping out of her ears. Supergenius she was not.

"Ah. Um." Kat reached up and scratched the back of her head, remembering one time back in Normal, when she'd tried to shove a snowball in some kid's ear. So she did know. Why had she been such a hellion? "I don't have anything that dramatic," Kat said, pulling out at her bodysuit and letting it snap back against her skin. "I just don't really have any way to keep the cold off."

Sakurako flopped back, looking at the ceiling.

"Then again the elementary school I went to in Tokyo wasn't for gifted students, so they were nasty to the smarter ones."

She looked over to Warp. "Just glad I got transferred to a gifted and talented school while I was visiting relatives. The rock in the snowball thankfully didn't do damage..."

"Rough year or a good one?" Sakurako suddenly asked. "No details needed... just wondering."

Kat had never actually been to Japan, which was really something of a shame, considering that she could go just about anywhere. Language was hard though. "A good school can mean a lot," she said, because that at least she knew from experience.

Outside, Hammer was having his little snowball war . ..  or at least Kat assumed he was from the good-natured shouting and noise outside. Kat ran a hand absently through her hair. "Honestly," she said. "Had its ups and downs. But, altogether . . . not great." She gave a helpless little smile and a shrug. "You have any major hijinks in the last twelve months?" Kat raised an eyebrow.

Grimelsa smiled as she watch the Hammer playing with the kids; he was great with them, maybe a parent himself? When he called for the ceasefire and announced he plans to depart, she was genuinely sad to see him go.

"Well, it was good working with you, Hammer," Grim said as she returned to her own form and offered the hero a firm handshake. "And I'll definitely try to catch your bout; haven't seen a good match in some time." Then she held out her hand and a business card appeared. "Call me if you're ever facing a supernatural threat you can't handle; I'm always happy to help out."

The card described her as 'Grimalkin, Mistress of Mystery' and listed a toll-free phone number and her official website. "Take care," she said with a wink and a salute, then she turned to gently knock on the tent. "Hiddly-hoddly, neighbor! Can I come in? The battle has ended and peace has been restored."

13 minutes ago, Heritage said:

Grimelsa smiled as she watch the Hammer playing with the kids; he was great with them, maybe a parent himself? When he called for the ceasefire and announced he plans to depart, she was genuinely sad to see him go.

"Well, it was good working with you, Hammer," Grim said as she returned to her own form and offered the hero a firm handshake. "And I'll definitely try to catch your bout; haven't seen a good match in some time." Then she held out her hand and a business card appeared. "Call me if you're ever facing a supernatural threat you can't handle; I'm always happy to help out."

The card described her as 'Grimalkin, Mistress of Mystery' and listed a toll-free phone number and her official website. "Take care," she said with a wink and a salute, then she turned to gently knock on the tent. "Hiddly-hoddly, neighbor! Can I come in? The battle has ended and peace has been restored."

Hammer shook her hand and took the card.  His face beamed with joy at receiving the card.  "Thanks!  I'll be sure to do so.  I hope to see you at the match!"  He waved at Grimalkin before leaping into the air.  His powerful legs took him a fair distance and he repeated the maneuver until he was out of sight.