Player Name: tv50watcher
Character Name: John Blake
Power Level: 10 (150/152PP)
Trade-Offs: -5 Attack / +5 Damage -5 Defense/+5 Toughness
Unspent Power Points: 2

In Brief: By day, he is a normal teenager mostly, just super strong.  By night, he becomes a nigh unstoppable juggernaut.

Residence: Freedom City
Base of Operations: Freedom City
Catchphrase: Ready to hear my ROAR?! 

Alternate Identity: The Gargoyle
Identity: Secret
Birthplace: Freedom City
Affiliations: Claremont Academy
Family: Annabelle Blake (Mother), Randy Blake (Father, dead, left when he learned his kid was a mutant)

Description:
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Height: 5'5" (6'5" while transformed)
Weight: 150 pounds (750 pounds while transformed)
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Blonde

When not transformed, he looks like an average kid, maybe even below average.  His muscles are not very prominent, just toned, and he's even a bit short.  Once transformed however, his muscles typically rip right through any clothing he might have on, and his height jumps an entire foot.  He looks grey, almost made out of stone, and but his voice remains the same, so he tends to try and change it on his own, creating a kinda gravelly deep voice.  He has draconic-like wings and his eyes remain the same, but even his hands grow claws, his feet become like talons and he grows a tail.

History:
John Blake was never ordinary.  When he was born, they figured out he was a mutant pretty quickly when he lifted the couch because he wanted to go underneath it as a small baby.  This was very unusual as no one in his family ever had had powers, or even been a mutant, but he was completely natural.  On the age of 16 however, he changed even more, as his full mutant power revealed itself, and he transforms into The Gargoyle, a beast of near unstoppable power.  The only problem?  If caught out in daylight, John Blake discovered he turns to stone, very breakable stone, for the entirety of the day if caught out as the Gargoyle.  He before this had never been a hero except in rare circumstances because while he himself is rather vulnerable, and not terribly strong.  Stronger than most, but not strong.  He was always unable to help because of how easily he knew he could get hurt, and he knew he couldn't leave his mother alone.  He then went on to become a superhero of the night, unwilling to before because he needed to stay alive for his mother, but given his new powers, could not resist the call for help, remembering how many times he could've used someone to help him, but people walked away anyway.  Now he stalks the night, and goes to school by day where he's known for being the rather dorky kid actually, on account of sitting out during gym and otherwise just allowing bullies to walk over him.  One of the stranger things about him though is that because of the short amount of time he has available to him while as the Gargoyle, he tends to lose most of his limitations, the amount of adrenaline coursing through his body forcing him to do SOMETHING physical while he is transformed, so he tends to go superheroing.  He was more recently approached to enroll at Claremont Academy, and since it is what he wants to be, a superhero, he accepted.  However, both him and the headmaster did not tell him mother it was a superhero academy.  He keeps a secret on his powers anyway because he's used to it having had 16 years of conditioning to not use his powers while untransformed, but it's also simply wanting to go unnoticed.  You do not be cardboard and tempt fire to attack you, you hope the fire doesn't notice you.  And that's why he tries to not reveal himself.

Personality & Motivation:
John Blake is under his normal ego, a rather meek kid, kinda shy and refuses to do physical activities outside of possibly running around the track.  He will confront bullies from beating up or otherwise harrassing other kids, but he will never raise a finger to help himself from those same bullies.  However, while as The Gargoyle, he will confront any evil he sees, making sure to keep the innocent safe.  If ever his Gargoyle form should not work, he will keep himself alive above all else, for the fear of what his death would do to his mother, but he may be willing to sacrifice himself anyway because he has never been able to fully look away from a call to help.  He has just simply been conditioned to stay away from fights while not transformed.

Powers & Tactics:
He will for the most part punch and claw something.  If that doesn't work, he'll try using his increased mass and high flying speed to gain even more momentum for an attack.  Eventually, he thinks anything will fall to his fists.

Complications:
Wings: His wings can be bound up or otherwise incapacitated.  If done, he cannot fly at all until he recovers his wings.

Identity: Secret to his mother and most people, he does not like broadcasting that he has powers

Sunlight: If caught in sunlight in his Gargoyle form, he will turn to stone until night falls again upon his form.  This stone is no harder to break than concrete.  If one were to destroy say his arm, it would remain destroyed when he turns back to normal.  Even going back to his human form would have this arm lost.  Same for any part of him.  He can perceive things the same way a comatose man can, very rarely and not very well.  And if one were to damage what would become a vital area of him when he turns back, or otherwise breaks the stone?  He will remain stone, and he will be dead, even gluing him back together will not reverse his death.

Bully Magnet: For whatever reason, people love bullying this guy.  Maybe they know they can get away with it, or maybe they just like it.  Wherever he goes, bullies inevitably follow.

Abilities: 6 + 6 + 14 + 2 + 2 + 0 = 30PP
Strength: 16/26/40 (+3/+8/+15)
Dexterity: 16/20 (+3/+5)
Constitution: 24/34 (+7/+12)
Intelligence: 12 (+1)
Wisdom: 12 (+1)
Charisma: 10 (+0)

Combat: 8 + 4 = 12PP
Initiative: +3/+5
Attack: +4; Melee +5
Grapple: +14/+19/+21
Defense: +5 (+2 Base, +3 Dodge Focus), +1 Flat-Footed
Knockback: -3/-13

Saving Throws: 1 + 0 + 4 = 5PP
Toughness: +15/+7 (+12/+7 Con, +3 Protection [Impervious 8])
Fortitude: +13/+8 (+12/+7 Con, +1) 
Reflex: +9/+7 (+5/+3 Dex, +4)
Will: +1 (+1 Wis, +0) 

Skills: 52R = 13PP
Acrobatics 4 (+7/+9)
Bluff 7 (+8)

Climb 10 (+13/+18)

Concentration 1 (+2)

Escape Artist 3 (+6/+8)

Notice 8 (+9)

Search 8 (+9)

Stealth 2 (+5/+7)

Survival 9 (+10)

Feats: 5PP
Untransformed:

Attack Focus (Melee) 1

Dodge Focus 3

Luck 1
Transformed:

Distract (Intimidate)

Fearless

Improved Grapple

Takedown Attack

Weapon Break

Powers: 82 = 82PP

Alternate Form 16.8 (Gargoyle Form) [82PP] (Mutation)

• Enhanced Traits 24 (Strength 10, Dexterity 4, Constitution 10) [24PP]
  • Enhanced Feats 5 (Distract (Intimidate), Fearless, Improved Grapple, Takedown Attack, Weapon Break) [5PP]
  • Density 7 (Used to Stone; +14 strength, Weight multiplier: x5; Extras: Duration[Continuous]; Flaw: Permanent; Immovable 2, Impervious Protection 3, Super Strength 2) [21PP]
  • Super Senses 5 (Gargoyle Senses; Darkvision, Scent [Accurate]) [5PP]
  • Additional Limbs 1 (Gargoyle Tail; Feats: Improved Grapple) [1PP]
  • Flight 5 (Gargoyle Wings; 250 MPH) [10PP]
  • Impervious Toughness 5 (Form of Stone; total Impervious 8) [5PP]
  • Immunity 11 (Tough Like Stone; Ballistic Damage, Disease, Poison, Sleep, Starvation and Thirst, Suffocation (All)) [11PP]

Drawbacks:  -3  =  -3

Action 3 (Full Round Action) [Alternate Form Transformation]

DC Block

ATTACK              RANGE      SAVE                           EFFECT
Unarmed
             Touch      DC 18/30 Toughness             Damage (Bludgeon)

Totals: Abilities (30) + Combat (18) + Saving Throws (5) + Skills (13) + Feats (5) + Powers (82) - Drawbacks (3) = 150/152 Power Points

Edited by Fox
+2pp for March 2017
21 hours ago, tv50watcher said:

Description:
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Height: 5'5" (6'5" while transformed)
Weight: 150 pounds (750 pounds while transformed)
Eyes: Blue
Hair: BlondeWhen not transformed, he looks like an average kid, think Peter Parker with his glasses, so maybe even below average.  His muscles are not very prominent, just toned, and he's even a bit short.  Once transformed however, his muscles typically rip right through any clothing he might have on, and his height jumps an entire foot.  He looks grey, almost made out of stone, and but his voice remains the same, so he tends to try and change it on his own, creating a kinda gravelly deep voice.  He has draconic-like wings and his eyes remain the same, but even his hands grow claws, his feet become like talons and he grows a tail.

I'd maybe remove the reference to Peter Parker, and possibly include a birthday, but otherwise this works for me.

History:
John Blake was never ordinary.  When he was born, he practically launched the doctor out of the room when he hit back after the doctor spanked him.  On the age of 16 however, he changed even more, as his full mutant power revealed itself, and he transforms into The Gargoyle, a beast of near unstoppable power.  The only problem?  If caught out in daylight, John Blake discovered he turns to stone, very breakable stone, for the entirety of the day.  He then went on to become a superhero of the night, unwilling to before because he needed to stay alive for his mother, but given his new powers, could not resist the call for help.  Now he stalks the night, and goes to school by day where he's known for being the rather dorky kid actually, on account of sitting out during gym and otherwise just allowing bullies to walk over him.

I'd maybe expand on this, it's pretty short. Was he a natural genetic mutant? Is there any reason why, or is it just a random thing? Why does he feel the need to be a hero? Why is he more meek in his normal form? I find this last one particularly interesting if he's at Claremont, given most students don't keep secret identities from their fellow students, so a personality difference between forms could be some pretty interesting ground to cover.

Powers & Tactics:
I honestly will punch and claw something until it breaks, using my weight and surprising mobility to enhance them ever further, but not a lot survives my attacks forever.  Eventually, I'll break anything I need to.

Complications:
Wings: His wings can be bound up or otherwise incapacitated.  If done, he cannot fly at all until he recovers his wings.

Identity: Secret

Sunlight: If caught in sunlight in his Gargoyle form, he will turn to stone until night falls again upon his form.  This stone is no harder to break than concrete.

Two things here. No issue with character backgrounds done in first person at all, but it's weird that it becomes first person for two sentences when it otherwise isn't :P

Also, maybe clarify what happens if the concrete is damaged and night falls? Is he wounded? If you smash him completely, is he dead? If you start cracking stuff but don't smash it, does he get broken limbs? Can he feel it when he's turned to stone?

Abilities: 6 + 6 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 10 = 28PP
Strength: 30 (+10) [Transformed stats: 40 (+15)]
Dexterity: 16 (+3) [20 (+5)]
Constitution: 14 (+2) [24 (+7)]
Charisma: 20 (+5)

I don't quite get your maths here, for one thing, there's only six ability scores, so you should only have six numbers adding up. 

You should also format scores which are Enhanced/have Density/etc, as, say, 40/30 (+15/+10). But honestly, I'd help you figure out what went wrong here, but between this and a later issue, I'm not entirely sure what's what myself. 

I also question why his superhuman strength in human form isn't an Enhanced Ability. It doesn't need to be, but for his descriptors it seems more likely than not.

Combat: 8 + 8 = 16PP
Initiative: +5
Attack: +4 Melee, +4 Ranged
Grapple: +19 [+21]
Defense: +4 (+4 Base, +2 Dodge Focus), +4 Flat-Footed
Knockback: -0 [-10]

Looks largely good to me. I might split Initiative into transformed/non-transformed values, and possibly just list Attack +4 since you've just bought base attack. Same with grapple bonus. Your Knockback adds up, but bear in mind during play if you move more than your move action in a round, you lose your Immovable modifier to Knockback. 

However, your Flat-Footed Defence is only +2, as you lose all Dodge Focus, and half of your base Defence.

Saving Throws: 1 + 0 + 0 = 1PP
Toughness: +1 (+1 Con, +0 [Other]) [+9 (+6 Con, +3 [Protection 3])]
Fortitude: +2 (+1 Con, +1) [+7 (+6 Con, +1)]
Reflex: +3 (+3 Dex, +0) [+5 (+5 Dex, +0)]
Will: +1 (+1 Wis, +0) [+1 (+1 Wis, +0)]

You don't need to list attributes in powered form if the powered form doesn't vary. I'd also denote the level of Impervious Toughness with it. So:

Toughness: +9/+1 (+6/+1 Con, +3 Protection [Impervious 8])
Fortitude: +7/+2 (+6/+1 Con, +1) 
Reflex: +5/+3 (+5/+3 Dex, +0)

Additionally, your exotic saves are very, very low. We tend to advise Fort, Ref and Will average out at around PL-2/3, whereas yours average out at PL-6. Low saves are workable, but it makes him very vulnerable to PL-level threats, and with how low his Will is, even stuff that would only affect Bystanders.

He also doesn't meet defensive PL caps. With Defence +6, and Toughness +9, he's around PL7.5. You could go as tough as Toughness +14 if you wanted to, and if he doesn't, he's not PL10 (you could also heighten Defence, but phooey).

Acrobatics 7 (+4) [9]
Bluff 12 (+7)

Climb 20 (+10) [13 (+10, -7)]

Concentration 2 (+1)

Diplomacy 5 (+0)

Disguise 5 (+0)

Escape Artist 6 (+3) [8]

Gather Info 5 (+0)

Handle Animal 5 (+0)

Notice 9 (+8)

Search 9 (+8)

Stealth 5 (+2) [7]

Survival 10 (+9)

Swim 10 (+0) [Failure, Density 7 (+15, -7)]

As we discussed in Chat, you've listed skills wrong, so I'll check the maths there when it isn't. You also don't need to list skills you've got 0 ranks in, or that you don't swim if you're transformed. 

I'll go into this in the Powers, but I don't get where your extra ranks are coming from, 60

Feats: 1PP
Untransformed:

Ambidextrous
Transformed:

Distract (Intimidate)

Fearless

Improved Grapple

Takedown Attack

Weapon Break

I might use italicised instead of bold headers for the split feats, so it's less distracting, but otherwise it works, and I like how you listed them in both places for clarity.

Powers: 85 + 0 + 0 = 85PP

Alternative form 17 (Gargoyle Form; Feats: Distract (Intimidate), Fearless, Improved Grapple, Takedown Attack, Weapon Break) [85] (Mutation)

Density 7 (Used to Stone; Immovable 2, Protection 3, Super Strength 2) [21/21]

Super Senses 5 (Gargoyle Senses; Feats: Accurate: Scent, Darkvision, Scent) [5/5]

Additional Limbs 1 (Gargoyle Tail; Improved Grapple) [1/1]

Flight 6 (Gargoyle Wings; Feats: Permanent) [12/12]

Impervious Toughness 5 (Form of Stone) [5/5]

Strike 1 (Claws and Talons; Feats: Mighty; DC 31) [2/2]

OK, this is going to have a lot of issues, so sorry in advance. Firstly, before I go into the maths and some caps problems, your formatting is off. Take a look at some other sheets for an example. 

Maybe format it to show that Alternate Form is the top level power. I would also remove the Feats from the Alternate Form itself and include them as Enhanced Feats (if you only have the core, this is actually one of the easier ones to do. You know how you can buy Enhanced Strength and Enhanced Dexterity and so on, and it costs and does just what they do, only it's a power? Enhanced Skills and Enhanced Feats are the exact same).

Alternate Form 17 (Gargoyle Form, 85PP alternate form) [85PP] (mutation)

Enhanced Feats 5 (Distract (Intimidate), Fearless, Improved Grapple, Takedown Attack, Weapon Break) [5PP]

You should list the Strength and Impervious bonuses alongside the other ones with density. 

Your Super Senses don't have any Feats. They're (Darkvision, Scent [Accurate])

But comparison, your Additional Limbs do, it's formatted as (Feats: Improved Grapple)

Your Flight shouldn't be Permanent, movement powers are never Permanent. Maybe his wings are always there, but he's not always flying because wings are a description, Flight is a power. 

Your Strike breaks PL caps, despite you being undercapped here. Basically, we have a house rule that your maximum trade-off is 5, so you can go to +15 DC and +5 Attack. +16/+4 breaks this by 1. Yes, the core book has a +/- 6 archetype, but we don't allow it :P

Your Immunity is  (Tough Like Stone; Ballistic Damage, Disease, Poison, Sleep, Starvation and Thirst, Suffocation [All]) 

You also seem to have omitted your Enhanced Ability scores from the powers section. 

Drawbacks: (-0) + (-0) = -0PP

DC Block

Unarmed
             Touch      DC 31 Toughness                Damage (Bludgeon)
Claws               Touch      DC 31 Toughness                Damage (Slashing)

Totals: Abilities (28) + Combat (16) + Saving Throws (1) + Skills (13) + Feats (1) + Powers (85) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 Power Points

While you should include Drawbacks (0) in the total, if he doesn't have any, you don't need to list them on the sheet. 

I'm not sure where your DCs are coming from. Unarmed, he's got +10 or +15 to Strength from the Ability block, so that'd be 15+bonus, so DC25/30. His claws, which he only has at Strength 40, are Strike 1, so DC 15+15+1 = 31 (which also breaks caps, which I go into above)

On 12/12/2016 at 1:57 AM, tv50watcher said:

Abilities: 6 + 6 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 10 = 28PP
Strength: 16/26/40 (+3/+8/+10)
Constitution: 14/24 (+2/+7)
Charisma: 20 (+5)

OK, I did some minor format clear-up for you here and there. I'm also skipping the backstory and history on a second pass, since you've done as I asked and it was a perfectly solid character (*rimshot*) with what was already there beyond a couple of points needing expanded.

Now, maths. This adds up, but has an error in it. You've only paid for Constitution 12 here, not 14. You're 2PP short on how much you should be paying. 

Combat: 8 + 10 = 18PP
Attack: +4
Defense: +5 (+5 Base, +2 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed
Knockback: -0/-10

The PP adds up.

But something I didn't notice just jumped out at me. Base Defence 5 plus Dodge Focus 2 is +7 Defence, not +5. If its unclear, your dodge bonus to defence and Dodge Bonus, the feat, aren't the same thing. Half of your base defence takes the form of a dodge bonus to defence. Dodge Focus the feat increases that dodge bonus, but it's not included as part of the Base Defence. 

However, I would note that you could achieve the exact same Defence scores by buying Dodge Focus 3, and not Dodge Focus 2. It'd save you 1PP. (Since 5 and 4 both round down to 2 flat-footed defence).

Saving Throws: 1 + 0 + 0 = 1PP
Toughness: +9/+1 (+6/+1 Con, +3 Protection [Impervious 8])
Fortitude: +7/+2 (+6/+1 Con, +1) 
Reflex: +5/+3 (+5/+3 Dex, +0)

Adds up. I still think you should really, really, really, really consider putting more PP into this, but it's not outright illegal not to do so, and we discussed this in Chat.

Acrobatics 4 (+7/+9)
Bluff 7 (+12)

Climb 10 (+13/+18)

Concentration 1 (+2)

Escape Artist 3 (+6/+8)

Notice 8 (+9)

Search 8 (+9)

Stealth 2 (+5/+7)

Survival 9 (+10)

Feats: 1PP
Untransformed:

Ambidextrous
Transformed:

Distract (Intimidate)

Fearless

Improved Grapple

Takedown Attack

Weapon Break

Skills add up and feats adds up. Couple of points.

As mentioned, you've got Dodge Focus listed in the Combat section, but haven't paid PP for it, and haven't actually accounted for its bonus in the maths.

Ambidextrous is basically useless, sorry, I missed it on the first pass. We don't penalize people for having off-hand penalties, not in the near-decade we've been running. I'd particularly recommend maybe something like All-Out Attack, or a rank in the Luck feat. 

Powers: 85 = 85PP

Alternate Form 17 (Gargoyle Form; Feats: Distract (Intimidate), Fearless, Improved Grapple, Takedown Attack, Weapon Break) [85PP] (Mutation)

• Enhanced Feats 5 (Distract (Intimidate), Fearless, Improved Grapple, Takedown Attack, Weapon Break) [5PP]
  • Density 7 (Used to Stone; +14 strength, Weight multiplier: x5; Immovable 2, Impervious Protection 3, Super Strength 2) [21PP]
  • Additional Limbs 1 (Gargoyle Tail) [1PP]
  • Flight 6 (Gargoyle Wings; 500 MPH) [12PP]
  • Immunity 11 (Tough Like Stone; Extras: Damage Type: Ballistic Damage, Disease, Poison, Sleep, Starvation and Thirst, Suffocation (All)) [11PP]

OK, first things first.

As-is, your Enhanced Strength isn't outside the alternate form. You've indicated he's super-strong even when not transformed, but mechanically, unless you buy Enhanced Strength outside the Alternate Form, he isn't. 

Also I fixed the formatting on stuff like Immunity and Super Senses for you again. Please don't use HeroLab's default, it's not particularly clear to a casual scan.

Additionally, this is totalling up to 84PP, not 85PP, so you're 1pp under what the Alternate Form says, and 1pp over what the Powers total on the bottom of your sheet says. (Also, y'know, the numbers in the headings and final total shouldn't differ)

Totals: Abilities (28) + Combat (18) + Saving Throws (1) + Skills (13) + Feats (1) + Powers (83) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 Power Points

I do however, have some good news in that you're underspent. Not accounting for correcting the couple of minor 1-2PP errors here and there, your total as-is on the sheet comes to 144PP, not 150. You've still got 6, and that's before you check the errors.

On 12/12/2016 at 1:57 AM, tv50watcher said:

Abilities: 6 + 6 + 14 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 32PP
Strength: 16/26/40 (+3/+8/+15)
Constitution: 24/34 (+7/+12)
Charisma: 12 (+1)

Adds up. I will say, though, 16/16/24 physical stats is probably really implausible for someone skinny and lanky. That's really athletic in two stats and peak human potential in another. 

Combat: 8 + 4 = 12PP
Attack: +4
Defense: +5 (+2 Base, +3 Dodge Focus), +1 Flat-Footed
Knockback: -0/-10

Maths adds up.

You've not edited your Knockback score to -3/-13.

You've also not included your Attack Focus attack bonus, so it's Attack +4, melee +5

Saving Throws: 1 + 0 + 4 = 5PP
Toughness: +15/+7 (+12/+7 Con, +3 Protection [Impervious 8])
Fortitude: +13/+8 (+12/+7 Con, +1) 
Reflex: +9/+7 (+5/+3 Dex, +4)

Adds up albeit still kinda low. 

Acrobatics 4 (+7/+9)
Bluff 7 (+8)

Climb 10 (+13/+18)

Concentration 1 (+2)

Escape Artist 3 (+6/+8)

Notice 8 (+9)

Search 8 (+9)

Stealth 2 (+5/+7)

Survival 9 (+10)

Feats: 5PP
Untransformed:

Luck 1

Dodge Focus 3

Attack Focus (Melee) 1
Transformed:

Distract (Intimidate)

Fearless

Improved Grapple

Takedown Attack

Weapon Break

Adds up, but please alphabetise feats. 

Powers: 84 = 84PP

Alternate Form 17 (Gargoyle Form; Feats: Distract (Intimidate), Fearless, Improved Grapple, Takedown Attack, Weapon Break) [85PP] (Mutation)

• Density 7 (Used to Stone; +14 strength, Weight multiplier: x5; Extras: Duration[Continuous]; Flaw: Permanent; Immovable 2, Impervious Protection 3, Super Strength 2) [21PP]
  • Additional Limbs 1 (Gargoyle Tail; Feats: Improved Grapple) [1PP]
  • Flight 6 (Gargoyle Wings; 500 MPH) [12PP]
  • Immunity 11 (Tough Like Stone; Ballistic Damage, Disease, Poison, Sleep, Starvation and Thirst, Suffocation (All)) [11PP]

Drawbacks:  -3 - 4 = -7

Action 3 (Full Round Action) [Alternate Form Transformation]

Normal Identity (If afraid, he can't transform)

DC Block

Unarmed
             Touch      DC 21/30 Toughness             Damage (Bludgeon)

Totals: Abilities (32) + Combat (18) + Saving Throws (5) + Skills (13) + Feats (5) + Powers (84) - Drawbacks (7) = 150/150 Power Points

Your Alternate Form is 84pp, not 85pp. You can denote rank as 16.8 if you like, but we're not too fussy, also, you shouldn't include the feats in the Alternate Form entry given you've also got Enhanced Feats. 

Drawbacks, I'm afraid I'm saying no to all that. Full Round Action for 3pp on the Alternate Form is perfectly acceptable, but you cannot have it and Normal Identity for 4pp. I'd allow maybe the 3pp Action drawback and a Power Loss for if he's afraid, but otherwise it's double dipping.