Going Green for the Holidays

"Well Summit, as well as myself does have jets, but this was a spur of a moment thing, and I don't like interrupting other people's plans because I got a wild hair and decided to cross the continent!"

He laughed a little bit as he brushed back his hair, "So I flew under my own power here!"  He rested his hands on his hips, arms akimbo then, as he settled back on his heels.  It was a stereotypical pose, but it didn't seem forced or awkward.  Of course the bombast was so natural to him, so it was no surprise that such would just fit.  Then he blinked, and he smiled sheepishly, before it became a conspiratorial thing, "I am surprised you didn't know what I can do?  It seems like everyone, villain included, gets a dossier on my capabilities and limits."  Then that smile split wider and he guffawed sharply, smacking again on Spellsmith's shoulder, bearish congeniality.

"I went up, and then just came west."  He shrugged a little bit, it was literally nothing, and it was kind of pretty.  He didn't really know how high he went, science being not that large of a thing for him, so the fact he had jetted up at the upper end of the mesosphere was lost on him.

Damnit. And here, Temperance had thought she'd been trying to be firm and fierce in the face of someone who seemed to have ideas about how it all operated. Instead, she'd brought the full force of a flamethrower down on an ice cube. He did sound like he had legitimate concerns, and while he may have bulldozed over her, she'd steamrolled over him in turn. This was really not in keeping with the holiday spirit. 

Temperance took a deep breath. "I understand," she said, aiming to be a lot more conciliatory. "You wanted to share information on matters of local importance. So important, in fact, that being brusque would be perfectly understandable in order to convey the sheer scale of their importance. There's nothing wrong with that. And I will make sure that he's aware of this issue. He should know everything about the city, after all."

And with that, she reverted to the earlier warmth. "Hopefully, we can put that awkwardness behind us. I don't think I got your name..." 

Oh good now I can look forward to seeing Citizen get torn apart by Death Magnetic on the morning news

Thrusting past the terrible premonition Ishmael offered his hand with a sheepish look "Sorry, I can't say. Kinda prefer to keep it private. Hero name's Salmon, 'cause, you know, running, swimming... And that's pretty much all I can do. Can't drown but can freeze easy enough."

"Never been in any place with this many supers before" Ishmael indicated the scattered metas "This what it's like on the East Coast?" the young speedster rubbed the back of his neck "Here, anything super mostly gets covered up or ends up being that Project: Safeguard base up in the Atlases."

The base had been one of the few events in either Emerald that got news besides its narrow band of company breakthroughs and scandals or rashes of cryptid/alien sightings. The new government initiative had specifically chosen the opposite coast of the Freedom League, symbolizing their role as an addition to national superhuman defense rather than a replacement. It also wasn't on the southern shore, a very clear sign of its distance from the regional AEGIS capital and the Service's authority. That it was being instated and placed under semi-autonomous leadership prior to the new administration was also symbolic. The symbols were frankly out of control. 

The party went on, heroes mingling and circling, altogether an occasion better-suited for the East Coast than the West. Citizen did his best to be everywhere in the small crowd, shaking hands and making introductions, trying to get everyone's contact information. Rude though he could be when dealing with Terrans too sunk in their own culture to see the big picture, Sharl was in fine form tonight, taking advantage of the building's wi-fi to get some work done in between conversations. If he wasn't Miss Americana, he wasn't a bad substitute, playing diplomat and host. Eventually music came on, a slow Christmas carol that he recognized as a love ballad between two women (a rarity in Terran culture) and with a smile he swept Temperance up to dance - right over the heads of the crowd! 

The Archetech scientists were also all quite interested in meeting the heroes, talking meaningfully about the meta-support possibilities available at an Archetech facility. There was technology support, medical technicians, and others who'd all be happy to help aspiring young metas learn more about their powers and gain support for the necessities of life. These kinds of things generally weren't available in the Emeralds, after all! 

"You look beautiful tonight," Sharl told Eliza as they flew through the air together. "Maybe there is something to this Christmas spirit after all." 

• 2 weeks later...

"Something like this, yes." Temperance was trying to figure out how to process Salmon's display - first he came on strong like a sledgehammer, then he seemed to crumble and retreat, mumbling to himself all the while. The best she could do now was try to reestablish some base level of normal. "Freedom is something of an outlier in that regard, I admit. And it can be intimidating, even to people who grow up there. In time, though, you get somewhat used to it." She paused, thinking on what she'd just said in the context of the Salmon's panic. "Not to say that all the perils that come with it get to be rote. They can be rather... disruptive. But in time, the city... I don't want to say it 'adapts.' But the heroes learn how to deal with them, and the people know how to get out of range if chaos breaks out." 

Temperance turned as she felt Citizen's hand on her shoulder - and soon after, she was up in the air, swept up on a cloud. It was strange to be up here without her sledge under her feet, but after the shock wore off, she was delighted. She held close to Citizen, matching his movements on the thin air. "And you look handsome as always," she said. "The city treating you right?"