[IC] Fantastic Bloggers and Where to Find Them

olopi

"Day's not over yet," the monster pointed out gruffly. 

He hurried to Solemn and scooped up the villain in one massive hand, then picked up his gun with the other.  Although Leviathan's blood ran heavy with the rush of victory, his stomach was full of apprehension.  First of all, the police had to be on their way by now.  This was by far his sloppiest fight to date; multiple buildings were damaged, it must've been loud, and who knew how many witnesses saw enough to frantically call 911?  Maybe a proper hero shouldn't worry about being noticed, but right now, Leviathan wasn't eager to explain himself. 

Especially since that would mean turning Solemn over to AEGIS.  The hacker knew things, and Leviathan wanted to figure out what, and how.  Did he have accomplices who shared his information?  And what about this futuristic tech?  Where did some keyboard-pusher get gear like this?  Before they gave Solemn to the authorities, they simply had to question him.  Plus, there was still the matter of a likely-confused second hacker in their hotel bathroom, assuming that she wasn't currently being dragged out by some very angry owners, demanding answers about the hole where their window used to be. 

"I'm getting him out of here," he told Bonfire.  "Back to my lab, unless you have a better place to do this.  We can send him to prison for what he's done, but first, we need to know what he knows.  Can you grab our friend in the hotel and meet me there?"

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PC

“I’m so okay with that, trust me. Let’s figure out what else this guy knows. He’s no small deal, from what I understand. And while we’re at it, why he came after me. If he was related to the V-Arr there might be more there. “

Bonfire’s arm left the now empty jerrycan, and he approached one of the garage’s windows, blinds currently drawn.

“Let’s get out of here, then. I can explain why I’m here, but it’s probably a lot more difficult for you. Let’s keep it a “huh, we must’ve been chasing the same person” in case they want to know more, probably best to not have too direct of a tie for now. I’ll meet up with you at the lab once I’ve grabbed all our stuff from above.”

With that, he once more became a cloud of smoke, and within moments, had slipped outside through the space between window and wall. He went invisible for now, best to not raise more attention.  The hotel room looked quite battered with all the glass shards everywhere, even if the hacker was just sitting on the couch, her laptop on her lap. Bonfire reappeared next to her, after having gotten a quick look at the screen just to make sure.

“Hey, didn’t you want to wait in the restroom ‘till this all was over? Let’s go, we’re not entirely done yet. “ All the while, he gathered up all the bags, tech and other things the three had to leave behind once Solemn had attacked.

“Decided it was safe. So, he’s no longer a threat? Good.” She got up, grabbed her bag, and walked to the exit without any further words, or paying attention to anybody.

“Hey, hey, wait. Don’t you wanna come with us? We’ve still got things to do. And, I just realized, I never got your name.”

“Nah. And the name’s Ph0enix. Not the last time you’ll be hearing that one, trust me…” And with that, she was gone. Cass had no chance to respond, and the elevator had already left. Great.

GM

Leviathan had arrived at the lab even before Solemn had woken up, but back at the garage, he’d used some of the fabric that they stored to whip up a quick blindfold, just to be on the safe side.

Solemn’s gear was all stored away in a separate room, hidden behind a few boxes just to be safe. Solemn himself was wearing the same he had worn inside his suit, some tight black clothes, covering everything from his neck downwards. He’d worn a few more layers of gear above this, but removing those felt like the safe thing to do.

Solemn woke up some time later, still blindfolded, with only Leviathan, and perhaps a few boxes, in the room. Like this he looked a lot more like the (mostly) average man that he was, a lot less threatening.

As he woke up and realized he was blindfolded, he just sighed. “Whoever you are, whatever you want, I’m not the one for it. “

Leviathan needed his strength and speed to transport his prisoner, but that same enormous size proved inconvenient upon arrival, and so he had transformed back to something smaller (he kept his previous disguise, the pale, short-haired man from the hotel, as best he could remember it) and laboriously dragged Solemn down the short hallway and into his cluttered living room.  Once the hacker's gear was safely in the adjoining computer area, and he was tied (amateurishly, which might be a problem) to a wheeled desk chair, Leviathan caught his breath and sipped some water until the other man awoke.  Leviathan hoped to use that time planning his approach, but now that he was human again, and the two of them were alone, he actually felt worried.  He had never interrogated anyone before.  Just how should he carry out such a thing?  Movies popularly suggested torture, which was horrifying and unacceptable, but why would Solemn just tell him anything voluntarily?  He certainly couldn't offer the hacker his freedom.  He wanted Bonfire dead--probably now Leviathan himself too--and definitely belonged in prison. 

When Solemn spoke, Leviathan had to make a decision.  He chose to try some mild scare tactics, just creating an aura of menace around the situation.  He immediately found that even his meanest voice couldn't compare to his lizard-growl.

"You're exactly who I want, Solemn," he rumbled as best he could.  "Now, we've all had a long day.  You've been a very bad man, and I am not at all happy with you.  Do us both a favor: I'm going to ask you some questions, and you had best answer truthfully.  The sooner you tell me everything I want to know, the sooner you can enjoy a nice, warm bed in your new Blackstone cell.  It might not sound like much, but I think it's better than your current situation."

GM

The hacker moved his hands and legs ever so slightly, probably trying to judge just how well restrained he was. Even if, while taking off his armour, Leviathan could tell that with all the bruises Solemn (and his suit) had suffered, he wasn’t nearly as big of a threat anymore.

And then, one moment to the net, he stopped again. It had barely been noticeable in the first place. Instead, he leaned back on the chair, and turned his head slightly, to have it face the direction of his interrogator’s voice. He took a deep breath, then replied. His voice wasn’t nearly as smug anymore.

“Well, then go ahead and ask. Not much I can answer truthfully to just yet. Besides, who’re you with anyways? You’re neither a lizard monster ‘nor an oversized lighter, and judging by … this, you’re not with any sort of authority. So, who do I have the pleasure of talking with?”

It didn’t really take anything to realize the diversion tactic. He was trying to turn the interrogation around, quite noticeably so. Perhaps he had a further plan?

"I'm the person who has you tied to a chair," Leviathan said bluntly.  Solemn's new mannerisms gave him a little confidence, but he also warned himself not to ignore the possibility of manipulation.  Maybe the hacker's apparently-obvious gambit was just a bluff to cover something more subtle. 

"Let's start with something easy.  You went after Bonfire again because he crossed you and your crew of hackers, yes?  But you went through a lot of effort for revenge.  Are you just the type to hold a grudge, or was payback a side-perk on top of your real motives?  What do you have to gain by killing him?  You took on significant risks, attacking him in such public places, in addition to your cyber warfare.  Which brings me to a bigger question: what kind of hacker runs around in heavy armor with an even heavier rifle?  Just who are you, Solemn?"

GM

“Acting independently, then, heh? So what’s your connection to the matchstick? Are you one of those superfans who just want to be noticed? You seem to be really concerned with him. Did he get hurt? Did he suddenly disappear? Sounds good. “

“You did your research, alright. He’s been getting involved in my operations for far too long. Can’t get anything done with some piece of **** constantly coming after you. And no matter what, he was always involved. The hackers, the drones, everything. “

“Sometimes you have to send a message. Seems like you know that rule, judging by … this. So, I made sure everybody knew to not screw with me again. Not many people have the gall to. Screwing with me gets you in a lot more trouble. And generally, the capes know that. But, here comes this guy, suddenly breaking up everything. Without even giving the slightest **** about it. No, he probably didn’t even realize. “

“The higher they rise, the further they fall. He wants to be public? I’ll make him public. He had his chance. I offered to let him go, but he, in his infinite wisdom, decided to attack me. Brought the Lizard along, that thing’s an entire mystery by itself. There’s more to it….”

“And now I’m here, being interrogated by some secret admirer or whoever you are. “

"I do admire you, Solemn," Leviathan agreed sarcastically.  "You somehow don't seem to realize that your career is finished, and that kind of delusional confidence is certainly impressive.  Bonfire doesn't need to worry about you anymore.  No one has to fear the terrible Solemn.  Because he's beaten.  Next, I'm going to find what's left of your crew, assuming you still have one, and I'll point them out to 'the matchstick' so he can finish what he started.  You'll go to prison.  Bonfire might write one last blog post about his little adventure, and then within a month, no one in this city will even remember you.

"But let's not worry about the future just yet.  Let's talk about the past.  What were you going to do to Bonfire, before he and his new friend kicked you around and spoiled all your plans?  You said you'll 'make him public.'  So, what?  You have more information on him?  How much, and where are your files?"

• 2 weeks later...

GM

Beneath his blindfold, the edges of Solemn’s lips moved upwards just slightly. He’d gotten a rather nasty bruise on his right cheek, so he returned to a more neutral expression within the fraction of a second.

“So that’s your angle? You want to know about Bonfire? You want to know all about him? Okay, I take it back, that’s not just secret admirer anymore. And this was the best way of doing it? How did you even find me? Now…”

He paused for a second, moving his head in such a way he could, presumably, make eye contact with his interrogator. Or at least, the next best thing,

“…what do I tell you? This stuff isn’t exactly well hidden. Whatever you want to learn ‘bout him, you’re better off getting the info yourself. Barely takes any effort, he doesn’t cover up his tracks at all. And trust me, it’s a lot less effort than getting into my ‘net. “

“So, what do you want to know about Bonf… oh, excuse me, Cassidy Bauer, then? Oops, I didn't mean to reveal that, did I?”

Leviathan's confidence wavered under this news.  Maybe Solemn was just bluffing, but that was an awfully specific lie, if so.  Assuming he did know Bonfire's real name, then he could find out just about anything else.  Did the other hero have family?  What kind of damage could Solemn inflict on his personal life?  Those bombs at the cafe seemed kind of tame now, in light of the more subtle attacks he might've committed. 

At the same time, Leviathan's ever-present selfishness pointed out that at least Solemn only had this kind of information on Bonfire, and not him too. 

"...Alright, so you're a smart one after all," he spoke again after a long moment.  "But you're still finished.  Your scheme is done.  Yes, you could publicly release what you know about Bonfire, even from a Blackstone cell, but you won't.  Not if you're so clever as you think.  You just said yourself that I was able to find and gain access to your dark net site.  How hard to you expect it to be next time, especially when you're no longer around to stop me?  I'm going to find your crew, Solemn.  I'm going to find everything about you.  And if you want it to stay safe, then you'll keep the same silence for Bonfire.

"Otherwise, whatever enemies you have will learn what I learn.  Any allies or clients will lose faith and turn you away--especially when I start giving out their data too, if I think they deserve it.  Cooperate, and maybe someday you'll get out of prison and have something left.  Refuse, and I'll burn down everything you built.  When the Blackguards release you, the only thing you'll have to your name will be all the people who know what that name really is, and I don't think that'll end well for a person like you."

GM

Judging Solemn’s expression during this whole exchange wasn’t easy. As Leviathan began to speak, it was fairly neutral. Upon mentioning Solemn’s darknet site, it turned into a light smile, just barely noticeable thanks to the lack of other details on the blindfolded face one could focus on.  Then, as the interrogation continued, his lips gradually sank back down, into a neutral expression once more, the hacker making a somewhat obvious effort to hide his emotions. The rest of his body remained unmoving

“That’s all you want? Me not releasing his files? That I can do. Anybody that wants access to them can get them easily enough, they don’t need me. “

Once more a bit of a smile, however this one clearly was intentional. Solemn looked rather pleased, all things considered.

“Anything else? “

Leviathan's nervousness returned now in full force.  Just what did Solemn mean?  Had he already uploaded his information to somewhere both easily accessible, and hard to tamper with?  This all started when Bonfire was interrupted from accessing his own blog.  What better place to reveal the hero's identity than that? 

"What do you mean?" Leviathan demanded with a sinking feeling in his stomach.  "What have you done?  Where are these files now?"  He looked toward the door of his computer room, wondering if even now, it might be too late.

GM

“Locked away. Locked away in a place nobody’s gonna find them. I’ve got them hidden away, and anybody that wants to get to my storage has to get through all kinds of things first. Nobody accesses that until I want them to. You won’t, matchstick won’t, government won’t. I reveal them, or they stay hidden. And I can’t really do that like …” he made a show of trying to raise his arms, clearly failing. “..this, can I? “

“You’re not getting them. Too bad. Hire a hacker if you want Bonfire’s stuff. Anybody worth their money can get it. And if they can’t, they shouldn’t call themselves a hacker. He’s careless. I could’ve gotten a lot more on him if I wanted to. But what for? I already had everything I needed for giving him a complete downfall. “

And with that, Solemn was quiet. Once more with a smile drawn across his face, probably starting to get used to the light pain it would (almost definitely) give.

"We'll see," the doctor promised darkly.  Inwardly, he had to admit that Solemn outmatched him in this arena, but as he pointed out earlier, the hacker soon wouldn't be in a position to protect his data personally.  Even a good stagnant defense could eventually fail to active, driven efforts. 

They seemed to have reached an impasse, at any rate; Solemn clearly wasn't going to cooperate more than he had to, and the longer Leviathan tried to tease out the other man's secrets, the more he risked unintentionally revealing some of his own.  So far he had the strong advantage of being unknown, and he wanted to keep it that way. 

"...Well, I think that concludes our business.  I'm sure the police and AEGIS will want to talk to you as well, before they shuttle you off to Blackstone to rot.  Be a good criminal and wait quietly while I go get Bonfire and the lizard to take you away."

...Or at least just the lizard.  Where is Bonfire?  Could he have run into trouble?

GM

Surprisingly enough, Solemn’s reaction wasn’t negative. His smile stayed the same, and he spoke slowly. “Working together with them after all, then? Why all of this? Why wouldn’t it be the two of them? Both of them are more intimidating than whoever you are. And I doubt either of them would’ve had to rely on this stuff.” To underscore his point, he moved his army upwards, just slightly, in what the restraints allowed.

“Whatever reason’s behind this, I hope it makes sense to you all. Because it doesn’t to me. You’ve got two people … one person and a lizard … I dunno, both really powerful, and yet the interrogation’s done by somebody that relies on restraints? “

As if he’d smelled Leviathan’s worry, just then Bonfire popped into the room, suddenly appearing out of nowhere next to the window. He held one of his hands in front of his mouth, and lifted the other as a greeting, before tilting his head and shrugging towards the hacker.

Leviathan jumped at Bonfire's appearance, and in the process, almost forgot what Solemn had said, much less how he might respond.

How does he do that?  It's just like his trick back on the rooftops: he wasn't just invisible, he also made an illusion of himself, then.  Just what is he?

Curious and frustrated too, Leviathan struggled to make one last reply to his prisoner.  Something witty, like, 'What makes you think I need any help?' or 'They already shredded you once; now you don't even have your toys, so why should either of them bother to babysit you?'  But he waited too long, letting the silence stretch, and he felt the moment pass.  In the end, he stormed out silently, going to the next room to change. 

"Don't know why you think you can be so arrogant," the now-lizard grumbled bitterly to himself.  "Sitting there all smug.  I beat you, man.  Badly.  And now you're going to prison.  So why do you keep smiling?"

Still asking himself those questions, yet at least feeling safer in his hero form, Leviathan returned to the living room.  "Alright, computer nerd.  You ready for another run?  Better enjoy that wind on your face now, because I hear Blackstone isn't big on all that."

GM

Solemn seemed to be genuinely surprised to hear Leviathan’s voice already. He’d barely settled into a more comfortable way of sitting, when the arrival of the lizard made him sit back upright. His expression as less clear, still a smile but with more uncertainty this time.  

“Working together, then? So the traitor wasn’t the only one. How do you do it? The two of you, somehow managing to assemble a group to help you. Well, either way. “

A short pause. Something he seemed to like to do, before he once more moved his mouth. “You’re a huge lizard of some sorts, but even you should understand this. There’s no such thing as a dead end. Have fun figuring out that one.  But sure, bring it on. Have fun explaining this one. And who knows, perhaps I have some … connections? Things aren’t always as they seem. “

Still, he didn’t fight. He didn’t move at all, probably having accepted his fate already.

Leviathan just stared down at him for some time.

Connections?  Is he saying he has friends in the justice system, or even right in Blackstone? 

Victory tasted more and more sour, and Leviathan almost wondered if they should turn Solemn in at all.  But what other options did he and Bonfire have?  Give the hacker to some more powerful hero and make it their problem?  Solve this issue with uncivilized, permanent, action? 

He set his jaw angrily and knelt down, putting his sharp teeth next to Solemn's ear.

"You're a smart guy," Leviathan growled.  "Maybe you're right.  Maybe you're too smart to lock up.  Fine with me.  Because, smart guy, if you get out, then we get to play again.  Last time was fun, but just so...short.  I could go for another round sometime.  So good luck with your plans and connections and things-not-being-what-they-seem.  I'll just wait in Freedom City for you.  If you do come back, then get yourself some better armor.  Next time, I want some real exercise before I drag you away.  Again."

He grabbed the back of Solemn's chair, lifted him easily with one hand, rested the hacker against his shoulder--chair and all--and moved to leave.

PC

That was the signal. Or, well, it probably was. There wasn’t some kind of fancy signal, but Leviathan’s intention was pretty clear. And Cass agreed with that. Of course the entire situation called for a bit more finesse than usual. Best to not get Leviathan too directly involved, for everybody’s sake. It helped the mystique. But really, that wouldn’t take too much effort.

Bonfire followed after Leviathan, letting him go through the doorways first. All the while, he’d already pulled out his phone. “On it. Let’s see if we can’t tie this all up in a clean and hard-to-track way that doesn’t include any surprises. Chances are by now everybody knows what happened, soooo…” He clicked a button and held his phone up to his ear.

“Hey Clarkson, it’s me. … Yeah. …. Yeah, that’s right, got him. … Still here, yup …. Exactly … Yeah, that should work … Will be there ASAP. “

GM

By now, Solemn had fully accepted his fate. “Oh, you can count on me coming back. You’ve painted a giant target on your back. I know somebody who’s hiding something when I see them. “

About 10 minutes later …

AEGIS had, apparently, already sent out a team after reports of the attack on the hotel, and right afterwards, Bonfire’s fight, had come in. Their two vans waited a few minutes of walking distance away, which, with the two heroes’ ways of travel didn’t mean much. And then, while Bonfire walked down the street, holding Solemn (still blindfolded, but not as bound this time), towards the agents, Leviathan watched, from the shadows.

Bonfire handed over the captive, and then exchanged a few words with the various agents. No way of telling what (lip reading really wasn’t an option), but it all seemed to be in good spirits. And, at least so far, nothing had gone wrong. Solemn was stowed away in the back of an AEGIS transport, and the agents were packing up their gear, their mission accomplished.

You know AEGIS agents by name? Leviathan thought, a bit awestruck.  Man, Bonfire really does have friends everywhere.

As he watched Solemn's arrest, Leviathan continued to worry about the man's parting words.  Maybe today unfolded better than it could've, and yes, he and Bonfire clearly won, but now their enemy knew more about them than before, with strong motivation to uncover even more secrets.  If Solemn fulfilled his promise and returned to cause trouble in the future, then next time he would expect Bonfire's illusions, and Leviathan's regeneration.  What devices or techniques could the villain bring to the table?  What allies could he enlist, or just send on his behalf even from Blackstone, armed not just with futuristic gear, but now, knowledge.

When Bonfire returned, he would find the reptile frowning, his arms folded.  "We won," the monster said.  "So why do I feel like Solemn is happier and more confident than we are?"

PC

The cloud turned back into a body (most likely) made of flesh, and Bonfire watched the agents as they drove off, probably towards Blackstone. Then, he turned around, not making any effort to hide his face, some clear doubt clouding it.

“I wish I knew. There’s a lot about this that I’ll just file under “uh, this happened”. No clue what exactly was going on with him. But I feel like whatever we did today, we’ll get to feel the aftermath. Either it tracks us down, or we stumble across it. Not sure which is preferable, truth be told. “

And just like Leviathan has seen Bonfire do it before, suddenly his expression changed completely, as casual as casual could be. “Now, after these things I usually grab a coffee. Considering how it all started that’s probably not the best idea, but whatever. Wanna grab one too? My treat.“

"Man, I would almost rather go to a bar after today," Leviathan laughed.  He shuddered back to human form, a somewhat gruesome sight that for a few seconds left the monster in a bizarre limbo between lizard and man, more like a huge hairless rat than either of the end results.  Still, it soon passed, and he dressed himself in simple pants and a T-shirt from his own body.  The "fabric" was leaf-like and wouldn't stand up to close inspection, but it beat walking around naked.

So glad I learned that trick.

"...Anyway," Leviathan went on, "I'll settle for coffee.  Maybe we can even get back to talking about the blog, if no one tries to kill us again.  You know, last year this whole thing would make me have second thoughts about getting anymore publicity, but I guess this is just the life we live.  At least it's never boring."

GM

“Oh, you can say that again. That’s the one thing this job will never lack: Action. But gotta say, a bar wouldn’t be terrible either, let’s just see where this all takes us.”

Epilogue 1/2

Later…

While the actual punching was over, that didn’t mean that Leviathan didn’t have a few more things he could deal with before he was completely finished. Analyzing the sample of Bonfire’s blood he’d gotten revealed a few interesting things, even if, unfortunately, the sample was hardly good enough for anything more than those insights.

It was blood, but it didn’t quite behave like it. As the temperature changed, so did its consistency, much more than that of any mundane being. And then, there was the fact that it was able to carry much, much more oxygen than other blood, even if that oxygen disappeared much quicker.

Solemn’s armour was interesting too. Its design was simple, with the actual plating slotting onto the shirt the hacker wore. Hydraulics in the joints and limbs allowed for more strength and faster movements, while a HUD inside the visor allowed for all sorts of information, and aim assist with the rifle, which also slotted into the armour.

There seemed to be a few minor flaws however, as the armour quickly reached temperatures that made it impossible to wear, which usually vented though both the rifle, and various small vents in the back. The extra plating was arguably the most interesting thing about it all. Even after some analysis, Leviathan couldn’t figure out how exactly it worked. It probably had something to do with the hydraulics, and them changing, but at his level of experience he couldn’t quite explain it.  

GM

Epilogue 2/2

Sometime later…

???

“So, he failed? That is what he gets for pursuing personal vendettas.”

“Yes. He was captured and arrested, but only through chance. A few of the armour’s recordings managed to reach us before being disabled. And please, if you would, look at this.”

“It doesn’t quite add up. There is more to all of this. To them. Have we accessed his files yet? They will offer us the same leverage. “

“No, we have been unable to. They are no longer operating under the same security, it appears somebody else has taken over. And not contacted us. We will commence with more aggressive measures if you authorise. “

“Authorized. Now, what about the armour? It wasn’t the best we had, but getting it back would be preferable to anybody else learning more than they absolutely have to. “

“Almost everything has been disabled. The direct trackers, the camera, the bio-feed. You name it. However, it appears they didn’t find the hidden tracker. It is active, and slowly sending its location data to us. And, if you would have a look at it…”

“The ocean? And you say they didn’t sink it? We may need to bring more than a retrieval team…”

~ Fin ~