Preying Mantis (IC)

Blarghy

Ethan turned to Warne. "That's one the more extreme reactions to getting arrested that I've heard." He paused, considering. "Not the worst, but it's up there." With that, he looked pointedly at Becker. "Evening, Deputy-Director. Glad to see you. So, this Mannis guy... there can't be too many people out there with the technology to rebuild him after being that badly damaged. I mean, if he'd spent that long in a coma wouldn't he also be suffering neurological damage? So it wouldn't just be a matter of repairing the body, but the brain too, right? Guys like that -- or girls, or whatever -- can't be very common." He shrugged. "I figure, we find out who fixed him, we find out where he is and who he's working for." Then, after some more thought. "I haven't heard anything back from the Engineering Department. I know I only sent my report a few days ago, but I haven't heard anything. I mean, if that engagement had gone any worse..." He cast a glance to Warne. "Well, it would have gone badly."

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

"Mm," Warne agreed darkly.  He had seen enough of the AMP's malfunctions to want it reviewed and repaired as well.

"I'm afraid I can only be of so much help there," Becker replied.  "Your pride and joy is too much of a joint project for AEGIS to solely make whatever arrangements you need, and even if we could, you'd probably have to go over my head.  I'll make a few calls, but this is the price you pay for being more expensive than most small nations.  As for your suggestion, I agree: Mannis himself may be difficult to track down, but his physician and the extensive laboratory that must've been used to essentially resurrect him, that has to leave a trail.  The two of you will be following it, once Warne is back on his feet.  Lord willing, you'll have a redesigned battlesuit by the time that happens...although given the situation in Wallders, I'd say you didn't do too poorly."

High praise, by Becker's standards. 

Ethan chuckled. "Thank you, Ms. Becker; I appreciate it. But that's just the thing; Upgrade isn't just a weapon; it's... well, it's a symbol of our ability to protect people, to win their hearts and minds. Upgrade can't fail. He can't afford to. So he needs to be constantly top of the line, retooled, reworked, perfected." He rubbed his hands together. "I have some ideas related to that, some calibrations to the internal systems, some additional combat variety -- definitely some more sensors, which would have come in handy in that factory, and a different way of rerouting the power flow. Lots and lots of stuff. If I could get a meeting with someone, I could bring them around." Realizing he'd waxed long about the machine, he coughed. "Anyway. Yeah, I'm definitely down for following up on Mantis and his maker. The dude was already more machine than man -- a total Darth Vader knock-off, or an evil flying RoboCop. Like in RoboCop III, which was the bad one. What I mean is, he's more metal than meat, so repairing him again, or making modifications to his systems so that he's more likely to beat us next time... that's a given. It's going to happen. It's probably already happening. We need to move forward on the XO-9 and we need Adept out of this hospital bed. ASAP."

GM

She accepted this enthusiasm with her usual stoicism.  "Yes, yes, I agree.  I'll try to put together a conference with designers from all the relevant branches.  We have satellite video of most of your duel, after you exited the factory.  Even though you were victorious, those close calls speak for themselves."

Silent, Warne frowned.  If that was true, then what did his failure, so quick and pointless, have to say?

"Come back to Freedom City, and I'll see if I can arrange an audience for you by tomorrow.  Warne, once the doctors here decide you're safe to relocate, we'll bring you back as well to finish your recovery.  Here in the superhero capital of the world, I'm sure we can find a way to speed things along."

"Yes, ma'am." 

Becker looked between the two agents.  "Well and good.  Is there anything else?"

"Just one thing," Ethan said. "I'd like to encourage a revitalization initiative for the town of Wallders. At the very least, we should finance a restoration of the homes damaged during the engagement with Mantis. That's the sort of thing people talk about, that they remember, and it would be a positive source of publicity for AEGIS. Once it's repaired, I'd be happy to pilot the AMP back and help with the rebuilding." In all likelihood, Upgrade would be too large to do anything more than assist with the heavy lifting, but to the people of Wallders, it might just be the thought that counted most.

GM

Becker smiled faintly.  "Now that is certainly not my call to make.  But I can pass along the idea, yes.  I think repairing the damage caused on our watch is wise.  I may be cynical about Wallders' long-term prospects, but this would serve as a gesture to the public as a whole.  'AEGIS did not even make the mess, and yet they still helped clean it up.'  A responsible, caring decision compared to the image of most modern agencies."  Her smile turned a shade brittle and she added, "Let us just hope that no one takes this sort of charity for granted.  We have an impressive budget, but if we try to rebuild every home that lacks supervillain insurance, your next war-mech will look an awfully lot like a secondhand crop duster."

She leaned closer to the screen, probably reaching for the power button on her end.  "Prepare yourself, gentlemen.  We have discovered yet another threat to AEGIS, and it does not seem to mind catching innocent civilians in the crossfire.  If they want war, then I intend for us to be the ones still standing when the dust settles.  Remain vigilant.  Remain heroic." 

The TV went black with a soft blip.  Alone again, Warne's frown tilted up, becoming not a smile, but something narrow and menacing, like the razor's edge they often walked in this career. 

"Remain dangerous," he concluded to Stone.  Their enemies surely would. 

~Fin~