When The City Sleeps

"Sure thing," Hub says to Nightrival. "I guess you've got everybody here, then?" He glances back as Monty leaves the room, then returns his gaze to Nightrival.

"By the way, call me Hub here, Nightrival," he says. He doesn't sound like he's worried about it, but he wants him to know that he's working on a secret identity to go along with the face that he knows. He pulls a chair around backwards and sits down on it, the back of the chair in front of the rest of his body. It looks comfortable for him. "Sorry that I forgot about the food. No pockets in this thing, and I couldn't stop by the convenience store in it. They'd probably think I was there to rob the place."

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sen nods to Nightrival as he enters. He does not take a seat but instead lurks near the door. "It is good to see you well," he says to the masked hero. Done with formalities he plunges forward. "You are going to explain your letter?" IT was hard to tell if he was asking a question or making a statement.

NightrivalHS.jpg

Thevshi said:
Velocity smiled at Nightrival as he made his way into the room. Ã"Good to see you again." She said.

Nightrival smiles underneath his mask. "You as well. Glad ya can make it."

Heritage said:
The young heroine smiles at her mentor's exchange with Monty, then plops down on the couch next to him with a goofy grin. "Hiya, boss; ya miss me?"

Nightrival senses Grim's unease, but he can't figure out why the young hero would feel in such a way. He adjusts himself on the couch and winks at her.

"Of course I missed ya. I need someone ta taunt th' bad guys in th' middle o' a fight."

Heridfel said:
"By the way, call me Hub here, Nightrival."

"Alright. Ya wear th' costume well."

Heridfel said:
"Sorry that I forgot about the food. No pockets in this thing, and I couldn't stop by the convenience store in it. They'd probably think I was there to rob the place."

"Don't worry 'bout it." Nightrival reaches beside the couch, picks up a plastic Go-Mart bag, and places it on the table. "I brought plenty fer everyone."

Warmonger said:
Sen nods to Nightrival as he enters. He does not take a seat but instead lurks near the door. "It is good to see you well," he says to the masked hero. Done with formalities he plunges forward. "You are going to explain your letter?"

Nightrival returns the nod. "You too, man." He settles back into the couch and stretches an arm over the edge. "I guess that question is on all yer minds right now."

Leaning his head back, he takes a deep breath then straightens up again.

"We 'ave worked alone or worked together, wit' each other or wit' other folks. And th' crooks, they're doin' th' same thing. Not jus' the guys like th' Crime League, but on th' streets - our streets - that's where they're buildin' up their ranks, gainin' strength everyday. Th' Freedom League take on the big time aliens an' monsters, but wha' 'bout th' the crooks workin' below th' radar, hurtin' the regular folks we swore ta protect?"

He leans forward and rests his elbows on his knees, pointing his fingertips at the group.

"That's why I brought ya together. I wasn't jus' butterin' yer buns when I said ya'll are th' best 'eroes in th' city. I meant it. And I think - no, I know - if we work as a team we can really make a difference."

Nightrival sits back. "That's what I gotta say. But I didn't ask ya 'ere so's ya can listen ta me jabber on; I wanna 'ear yer thoughts on this."

This time Velocity shifted slightly uncomfortably in her chair as she listened to Nightrival's proposal. She looked over at him and gave him a slightly apologetic smile.

"Yeah, I thought that might be what you were looking to try to do. But I am not sure how much I can be involved." She said, and then began to elaborate. "In the Fall, I am starting college out of town. While its not so far out of town that I won't be able to make quick visits back here, I will be having other responsibilities. I recently accepted an offer from Raven to join the Freedom League, so that will likely be taking up a lot of my freetime."

Hub looks thoughtful as Nightrival speaks (or at least as thoughtful as anybody wearing a full mask can look). He's about to open his mouth to respond when Velocity begins to speak - not much of a surprise that she reacted faster than him, given what her powers seem to be. He closes his mouth as she speaks, then nods slightly at the end. Now it's his turn.

"Well, ah, I didn't really swear any oaths or anything. I just saw that I could do more, with these powers and all, and someone had to. I don't know if you guys noticed in the news - this mob guy got killed a couple months back. I tried to save him, and I did for one night, but the criminals don't just quit when you stop them once. You need a team to be able to put them away for good.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd be proud to join. Sen and Nightrival know how I can help, and I've been studying - about my powers, and about how to fight crime," he says. He looks over the other people, trying to gauge their reactions to what he has said. His Texas accent thickens during the latter half of what he's saying, giving a good hint to where he's from.

Despite herself, Grim hears the blood rushing in her ears when Velocity starts to explain just why she won't be joining the group; whether or not that was her actual intention, it's how Grim hears her words :x

Then why the heck is she even here? Why is she wasting everybody's time?

The young vigilante is able to keep her temper on low boil while Hub is speaking, though her right leg does start pumping a bit, and she nods sharply as he makes his various points.

Well at least someone is on our side.

Once the Texan has said his piece, Grim shoots her hand up like she's back in school; when she speaks, her voice is tart.

"I'd like to say a few things, if that's okay."

Don't say it; she's been doing it longer than you and she could beat you to death in the blink of an eye if she really wanted to, and you know it. Don't be stupid, don't be stupid...

The tiny heroine wheels around to face Velocity and holds up her hands in an angry shrug.

"Why are you here? Why did you come? To show off some fancy cookies? If you knew you were going to take a slot on the League, and go zipping around the world to go to school in Paris or whatever, why even bother to show up? What's the point?"

She points towards the outside world beyond the walls

"I go out there night after night, and I get my butt kicked by people who are too big for me to take on, which is okay by me actually, I can take it; I mean, at least I know I'm working for a living!"

Grim steps up to the masked speedster, her hands gripped in a somewhat menacing fashion, but there are tears visible in her eyes.

"But you, someone who could really make a difference, who could really turn the tide around here, are too busy skipping across the ocean to go shopping in Paris, picking out the Egyptian cotton sheets for your orbiting space bed!"

She's never been this angry in her entire life, and it scares her; her face is throbbing beat red and there's even a bit of spittle.

"But y'know what, who cares! Who needs you!"

NightrivalHS.jpg

Nightrival is absorbing what Velocity and Hub have said, and is formulating a reply to Velocity when Grim stands up and confronts the speedster, interrupting his thoughts. He's not worried about a possible fight, though the thought crossed his mind; he's more concerned about Grim's heart. She does fight the good fight every night, and she's earned her stripes, but he is surprised that Velocity can evoke such rage in someone who is clearly an accomplished crime-fighter.

He slowly stands up and walks a few steps to stand behind Grim.

"Grim, c'mon - " The words get stuck in his throat. He backs away. I . . . I should let 'em sort this out themselves.

Sen watches the exchange impassively, though on the inside he felt a small flame flickering to life on the inside. Sen himself was passionate about his work and he recognized it in others. He answers as if nothing had happened. "I am not sure," he admits. "This city is infested with demonic cults. I had thought it would be only a few but it seems this city draws evil creatures like a load stone."

The young warrior fingered the evil blade at his side. After all had it not drawn him here as well? "I have made many enemies. You would be in greater danger from my presence."

Velocity listened to Hub's response, noting his Texan accent towards the end of his comments. But then the other girl stood up and to the teenage speedster's surprise, her comments were directed at her, asking why she even bothered to show up.

But the other girl did not stop there, she began to really act as if Velocity's choice was some sort of major copout and not good enough. This Grim was pretty worked up about things, and Velocity could not help but wonder if it had to be more than just saying she couldn't really commit to the team Nightrival wanted to form.

The teen speedster felt her jaw clinch slightly as some adrenaline flowed due to the tense situation. She had not come here to be screamed at by some girl that seemed to think you had to sacrifice all else to be considered pulling your weight. She wondered what this girl would think if she knew of the plot to replace hundreds of key business and political leaders that Velocity had recently helped disrupt, but of course she couldn't tell her that, for that was being kept secret.

Keeping her exterior calm, Velocity waited till Grim was done, and Nightrival had come up behind her. "Well, first off, I came here because I felt that it was polite to explain things to Nightrival in person. There is also the fact that just because I am not able to commit to this, it is always good to learn who some of the others working out there are."

"As for turning the tide and making a difference, I have been in this costume, or one somewhat smaller, for three years now, out as much as I can be. I stopped my first bank robbery before I could drive, and have stopped more than a dozen since. I've fought all sorts of other criminals, and even go out when I can and try to help people with my powers in ways that don't involve beating people up. I've also fought more than a few superpowered opponents, and I know just how difficult they can be for the police to handle. So I have made the choice on how I feel I might be best able to help, and that is by working with the Freedom League."

"As for my decisions regarding the part of my life that does not involve wearing this costume, I really don't care what you think of the choices I have made there."

By the time Velocity has finishes list her achievements, which are far more impressive than the papers have reported (Grim senses this is because she actually doesn't like to brag), most of the anger has finally drained away from the young heroine, leaving her feeling stupid and tired. She rubs her face with her hand and sighs.

"I'm sorry," and here her voice cracks a bit as she yelled herself hoarse. "I have no right to criticize; the fact that you do this at all, and don't just, like, make money off it somehow, says a lot."

Grim stops and hugs herself fiercely as she looks away in shame. "Sometimes I just feel...so alone out there. And not to knock you Rival, you've been great; beyond great, actually."

She laughs sadly and gives Velocity a crooked smile. "It just...it just would have been cool to have a girl my age on the team. And I get jealous of people when I think they've had it easier than me, which I know you haven't, but that part of my brain doesn't really run on logic, y'know?"

She puts her hands on her hips and nods. "Okay, Idiot Girl is gonna go get the chicken; I'll be right back."

Grim heads out the door, but then sticks her head back in a moment later. "By the way, I have really good hearing if you're gonna talk about me while I'm gone. Just so you know." She grins and then goes to gather up the chicken and rummage around for paper plates, finding some comfort in the activity.

When Grimalkin begins to tear into Velocity, Kevin starts looking around at the other people in the room. Without thinking about it, he starts to view their chi, and his eyes glow viridian once again. He can see exactly how the two women are getting upset - he can't put it into words, exactly, but it's like watching a thermometer start to rise. He looks at it and sees a way that he could turn it back down.

He's just about to do that when he thinks about what he's doing. This isn't like aligning someone's chi or healing them - that's just returning them back to how they should be, or helping them maximize their potential. This is changing something about them because he's not comfortable with it. These aren't villains; these are potential teammates, and calming them down against their will wouldn't be right. He lets his power fade back to normal, and the eyes stop glowing. He remains silent throughout the argument, and lets Grimalkin leave without saying anything as he brings himself under control.

NightrivalHS.jpg

Nightrival looks at the floor to avert his gaze from the tense argument between Grim and Velocity. Fear crawls up his chest and encases his heart in a block of ice. Was the team going to fall apart before it even started? Feeling on edge, he decides to stay where he is for the moment and let Grim simmer down.

"I . . . " Nightrival's voice trails off as he tries to find the right words. He really just wants to sit down. "I'm sorry 'bout Grim," he finally says to Velocity. "She's one 'o th' best 'eroes I know. I dunno wha's eatin' 'er but I'm sure she'll work it out."

He sits on the coffee table, facing the group. "I unnerstand if ya can't commit," he explains to Velocity. "Ya got yer responsibilities - we all do. An' I know yer record, that's why I asked ya ta join."

He leans back and drops his shoulders. "But, I 'ope I can keep yer number. If ya got League connections maybe ya can send some info our way. If ya need ta know wha's happenin' on th' streets, ya can give us a ring. Jus' 'cause ya can't be on th' team don't mean yer not on the team, if ya know wha' I mean."

Nightrival glances over to the door and wonders if Grim will be alright, then quickly returns his attention to the conversation.

Velocity was glad that Grim seemed to calm down, feeling a bit bad about having to talk to her in such a stern manner, but also feeling a bit justified in defending herself. The speedster was still preferred that things were appearing to be less tense now.

When Grim further explained why she acted the way she had, Velocity could not help but understand a bit where the other girl was coming from, having spent a lot of time acting on her own with no one to really talk to about the things in her hero identity. These thoughts had her not immediately react to Grim, who then quickly left to the other room.

Before she could follow after Grim, Nightrival spoke up. Velocity gave him a smile as he apologized about Grim's outburst. "No worries, she is clearly dedicated to helping make a difference. I also understand some of her feelings."

"And of course you can keep my number, that was part of the other reason I came tonight. I figured we could help each other out at times."

The speedster looked back over at the door Girm had gone though and then back over to Nightrival. "So yeah, I'd be happy to be a contact for you guys with the League. Now, I think I might go see if she's okay, and talk a bit."

Then, with a blur of motion, Velocity moved over into the other room where Grim was getting herself some food.

"Hey there."  She said, giving Grim a friendly smile. "No need to worry about things, I understand, things can get pretty stressful when your risking your life."

She stopped a moment and looked at the table before looking back at Grim. "I also understand some of where your coming from. For most of the time I've had my powers I have not had anyone to talk with about them and the things I was doing as Velocity."

""It has always been tough keeping secrets from my friends and family, and I am pretty sure that this has been a contributing factor to ending more than one relationship. So, while I might not be able to be around all the time, I am always available to talk to if you need it."

NightrivalHS.jpg

Thevshi said:
"So yeah, I'd be happy to be a contact for you guys with the League. Now, I think I might go see if she's okay, and talk a bit."

"Well, alright then. I'm glad that worked out. But, um, ya better hurry 'fore - " He feels a powerful gust of wind rush past him and Velocity is gone. " - she disappears on ya. Hm. Never mind."

He shakes his head and looks to Sen. "I hear what yer sayin' 'bout attractin' trouble. By workin' as a team we can watch each other's backs. I don't mind takin' on a few dudes wit' horns."

Grim is gathering up the chicken to bring back into the meeting, unconscionably eavesdropping as is her bad habit; she smiles when she hears what both Nightrival and Velocity have to say in her absence. Thankfully this means she's expecting the speedster's sudden arrival, which is good because otherwise she'd probably have a heart attack when she showed up.

Thevshi said:

"Hey there."  She said, giving Grim a friendly smile. "No need to worry about things, I understand, things can get pretty stressful when your risking your life."

She stopped a moment and looked at the table before looking back at Grim. "I also understand some of where your coming from. For most of the time I've had my powers I have not had anyone to talk with about them and the things I was doing as Velocity."

"It has always been tough keeping secrets from my friends and family, and I am pretty sure that this has been a contributing factor to ending more than one relationship. So, while I might not be able to be around all the time, I am always available to talk to if you need it."

Grim nods and smiles. "Yeah, that would be cool; we'll have to exchange cellphone numbers or something, or maybe I can make like a big 'Velocity signal' to shine on the side of Pyramid Plaza, y'know, to summon you." She giggles as she picks up the food, then speaks in a fake announcer voice.

"Whenever there's boyfriend trouble or she's just down in the dumps, Grimalkin activates the 'Velo-Light', knowing full well that Freedom City's Fastest Teen will soon be there, double chocolate ice cream in hand, to make things right!"

She busts out laughing as she comes back into the room, holding up the KFC. "Hey, I'm not screaming or yelling, and I brought chicken! It's like a whole new Grim!" :D

Velocity laughed at Grim's fake announcer speech and the thought of some signal shining on one of the towers of Pyramid Plaza to alert her to trouble. "Yeah, we will certainly exchange cell numbers." She replied. "I have my phone on all the time when in costume, and usually check it pretty regularly when I'm not, so I should be able to get back to you pretty quick."

She followed along with Grim back to the other room, moving at a more normal speed as she did.

Sen's face contorts strangely at Nightrival's words and the warrior went dead still. Then suddenly a hard bark explodes from his mouth, before the samurai clamped a hand over it. It almost sounded like a laugh. He turned away briefly and mumbled something under his breath about 'dudes with horns'. He looks back up at Nightrival composed. "Very well, I will be willing to assist you. I have not forgotten either your aid or K-" He began before he realized. "Hub's help with locating my father."

NightrivalHS.jpg

Nightrival lifts a single eyebrow when Sen's stoic facade seems to melt and then solidify again. He stands and sits back down on the couch, then reaches across the table to open chip bags and the box of pastries. Lifting the bottom of his mask over his nose, he grabs a handful of chips and crams them into his mouth. He takes another handful before settling back and gesturing to the group with his open palms.

"Four outta five ain't bad - now we gotta team goin' on. But I ain't the leadin' type, so I'm not goin' ta force a name on us. Ya guys 'ave any ideas on what ta call ourselves?"

As Grim starts to set out the chicken, biscuits and cole slaw fro those who what them, she gives Ren a nod. "I'm cool with demon-fighting, too, mostly 'cause I'm too dumb to know any better; also I think my powers are magic-based, so that might help. Or maybe make things worse."

She shrugs and smiles.

"Whatever."

Now that the chicken is finally open, to Grim's hyper-sensitive nose the smell has gone from overpoweringly delicious to downright stupefying, and the young heroine digs in with gusto, piling her plate high with grub.

"Four outta five ain't bad - now we gotta team goin' on. But I ain't the leadin' type, so I'm not goin' ta force a name on us. Ya guys 'ave any ideas on what ta call ourselves?"

Grim looks thoughtful as she noisily sucks her fingers. "Mmm, good question, boss; I think any name we pick should reflect either our types of powers, our tactics, or maybe both." She points at the various heroes in the room with a drumstick as she continues.

"Like I know me and Nightrival are both kinda sneaky, but we shouldn't generalize based on just our powers, right? For instance, Ren, are you a sneaky demon hunter or are you more upfront about it, daring them to come out of the shadows and fight you? And Hub, other than making your eyes glow and peeping at people through closed doors, what exactly do you do, anyway? And where did you come up with the name 'Hub'? All I'm coming up with is bikes, hubcaps and wagon wheels."

Hub smiles, though it isn't easy to tell behind the mask.

"Let the papers name us. It's not like we're going to get a bunch of cheerleaders chanting our name when we're out fighting one of the Crime League, after all," he says. He looks around a little to see if he sees a glass for some water. If he can't find it, then he'll just let it go.

In response to Grimalkin's question, he just smiles again. "Sen and Nightrival can tell you. I'm no great shakes in a fight myself - though I can hold my own - but I can help everyone around me. I tend to be the center of a team, even if the other team doesn't realize it."

"Sen and Nightrival can tell you. I'm no great shakes in a fight myself - though I can hold my own - but I can help everyone around me. I tend to be the center of a team, even if the other team doesn't realize it."

Grim nods her head in appreciation.

"Oh that's cool; you're like one of those guys in those online fantasy games, what do they call it, when you 'buff' someone? I like it." She continues nodding, then frowns for a second before it turns into a wary grin.

"Heyyy, you didn't really answer my question, did you?" She waves her hand. "S'okay, you want to play the mysterious card, that's fine by me."

NightrivalHS.jpg

Nightrival grabs a chicken leg and a napkin and tucks into the morsel. He hasn't eaten dinner, since he chose to spend a few extra hours on patrol. The meeting would cut into his routine and he wanted to make sure he can devote the same number of hours to his current responsibility. Their meeting is important; managing his time is of paramount importance at this point. His stomach has been grumbling since he arrived.

"I'm fine not committin' ta a name," he replies. He wipes his fingers with the napkin. "An' I think we can figure 'ow ta organize ourselves on th' field." He finished the leg and deftly tosses the bone in a wastebasket. "But Hub has got me thinkin'. I'm not gonna lead this crew, so who is? I'm not inta workin' in some . . . collective. I like hierarchies; keeps things runnin' smoothly. Should we 'ave a vote or what?"

Sen sat and watched the others eat. "There myriad ways to fight the darkness," he answered. "Either of the two have been effective."

He turned to regard Nightrival. "You underestimate yourself." There were only three people in this city who's call Sen would heed. And the Shinobi before him was on of them.

NightrivalHS.jpg

"You underestimate yourself."

Nightrival tips his head to one side as he fetches another piece of chicken.

"I'm flattered, but I generally work alone. I don't got th' experience needed ta lead others. In time, maybe. I could give it a shot in th' future. But, I think yer more capable - ya got a commandin' presence."

He stands up and steps over to the cupboards above the coffemaker. He finds a set of mismatched dishes inside, pulls out five plates and sets them down on the table.

"I'll lead if ya all vote fer me, though I'm castin' my vote elsewhere."

"I'll lead if ya all vote fer me, though I'm castin' my vote elsewhere."

Grim can't help but chuckle and shake her head. "Boss, have you looked at your masked face in the mirror lately? You have 'commanding presence' up the wazoo! You called this meeting, the team was your idea, and though you might hate to admit it, you're a natural leader."

The diminutive crimefighter smiles and shrugs.

"Now, no one said a leader can't delegate things so he doesn't have the weight of the world on his shoulders all the time. Being a leader is about setting an example, and telling someone if they're doing a good job or not, and not being a jerk about it either way. It's listening to others' opinions before making a tough call, and yeah, taking the responsibility if you mess up, which can suck, but still."

And now her eyes are practically glowing, and Grim chokes up just a little.

"You're a hell of a leader, boss; why do you think I'm still with you? I'd follow you to hell and back."

Then she makes an off-handed gesture in Hub's direction. "And he can be like your co-captain, like Riker on Next Generation, only less annoying and no beard."