Movies

Just watched the longer trailer for Ironman. I must say, the idea of this movie is growing on me. :D Looks like great fun.

I've never been a fan of ol' Shellhead or the Avengers in general (not sure why), but this looks like it may well leap up into the top 10 comic book films of all time, mostly because it's very well-cast and clearly has some great writing. The effects and stuff also look way cool.

:super:

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been a fan of ol' Shellhead or the Avengers in general (not sure why), but this looks like it may well leap up into the top 10 comic book films of all time, mostly because it's very well-cast and clearly has some great writing. The effects and stuff also look way cool.

:super:

I haven't seen many of said comic movies, so I'll readily admit that what might look fresh and exciting might be "old hat" to some of you. I like the fact that, from the trailer at least, it doesn't look like it is trying to be too serious. I like that in a comic book movie. :)

• 4 months later...

Since my last post (almost five months ago!), I have seen the following from Netflix:

Appleseed (2004)

Awakenings

Babylon 5: Lost Tales

Batman: Gotham Knight

Black Sheep

Colossus: the Forbin Project

The Court Jester

Dead Meat

Diary of the Dead

Dogma

Evan Almighty

Fellowship of the Dice

The Forever Dead

Gamers

Grindhouse: Planet Terror

I Am Legend

I'm Not There

Isolation

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

Jumper

Mallrats: 10th Anniversary Edition

MST3K: The Brain That Wouldn't Die

MST3K: The Clonus Horror

MST3K: Killer Shrews

MST3K: Manos: Hands of Fate

MST3K: Santa Claus Conquers the Martians

No Country For Old Men

Super Size Me

Teeth

Transformers

The Tuxedo

The Truman Show

Untraceable

Zombie Honeymoon

• 5 months later...

Since my last post (five months ago!), I have via Netflix seen:

Aeon Flux: The Complete Animated Collection

Belphégor – Le Fantôme du Louvre (Belphegor, Phantom of the Louvre)

Beowulf (Director's Cut)

Doomsday

Dragonlance

eXistenZ

Futurama: Bender's Game

Glory

The Golden Compass

Hulk vs.

The Machine Girl

My Super Ex-Girlfriend

Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow

Repo: The Genetic Opera

Roadie

The Signal

Zombies of Mora Tau

Zombie Strippers

Belphégor actually had nothing to do with demons, but was instead about a restless Egyptian spirit who was trying to cross over to the underworld. It did have Sophie Marceau, though.

Hulk vs. was quite good, though I much preferred Hulk vs. Thor to the Hulk vs. Wolverine one.

Repo was great, and I'm definitely buying a copy to keep.

I'm making vague plans to see Push and the Friday the 13th remake/revamp in theatres.

I had forgotten this thread's existence, and would like to tell you all to watch Yes Man. The romance can be a bit cheesy, but the film is brilliant. My friend, who ordinarily doesn't like any second of any film without people beating up/blowing up/shooting up/being Samuel L Jackson at/shouting obscenities at other people, loved the film. That's gotta be a sign. At least omen-level.

Man, sometimes I miss being in the States.

Recently, I've been keeping track of all the movies I see in the theater. I actually prefer it to DVDs. The atmosphere is just great.

Anyway, I managed to see 63 films in teh theater last year. Not a bad number considering that in 2007 I saw about 53. This year looks to be fairly good. I've already seen five and this month looks to have a new one come out every week. Now if only my wallet can handle it.

To make matters worse, I still enjoy buying DVDs. Yes, that's buy, not rent. I haven't rented a movie in years and I really have no plan on doing it anytime soon. It would really save me money, but I like collecting things. :D

Keep reccomending flicks. They'll reach my area at some point, usually a 3-6 month lag. :(

Hrm, the lag seems worse for my brother, who's in Utsunomiya, Japan (teaching English to middle school and elementary school kids since Aug '07). He says they still haven't gotten Diary of the Dead.

Not all movies get realesed here. It might have went straight to video so you might ask him to check the rental stores. They are just starting a "Netflix" style of service here in Japan anyway. That might help things out a lot.

Also there are a few free movie sites for the Japanese. Tell him to look up Gyao. There might be a movie or two that he wouldn't mind watching. It's free and they have things in English.

Not all movies get realesed here. It might have went straight to video so you might ask him to check the rental stores. They are just starting a "Netflix" style of service here in Japan anyway. That might help things out a lot.

Also there are a few free movie sites for the Japanese. Tell him to look up Gyao. There might be a movie or two that he wouldn't mind watching. It's free and they have things in English.

Thanks, I'll let him know. Though he's more likely to watch tv than movies; he'd rather send an hour and a half watching four episodes of a show than one movie.

• 3 months later...

Come now, my good man... it was a Uwe Bol movie!!!

There's a lot of interesting names associated with that movie though. Jason Statham was already a big enough star that he didn't have to get involved in this turkey, I usually enjoy Matthew Lillard's work, and of course we had The Burt.

Saw Kung Fu Panda a few weeks ago. I really, really enjoyed it.

I went in to Kung-Fu Panda expecting a parody of martial arts movies. What I got was a wickedly-entertaining love letter to them.

It's also apparently the favorite movie of Alderwitch & AngryDurf's son. By the time he was 18 months old, any time he walked into the living room and something other than Kung-Fu Panda was playing, he'd shout "NOT PANDA!", toddle across the room, and shut the TV off.

I went in to Kung-Fu Panda expecting a parody of martial arts movies. What I got was a wickedly-entertaining love letter to them.

It's also apparently the favorite movie of Alderwitch & AngryDurf's son. By the time he was 18 months old, any time he walked into the living room and something other than Kung-Fu Panda was playing, he'd shout "NOT PANDA!", toddle across the room, and shut the TV off.

This is truth. though he has expanded his tastes somewhat since then it is still one of his faves.

Also for the adults it actually has surprising rewatchablity without becoming too irritating.

The short spin off secrets of the furious five is also a good one. Very clasic kung-fu flick homage still.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently saw Wonder Woman. Pretty good.

Their take on Hades was, AFAIK, very different from how he's portrayed in any other DC work (comic or 'toon)... but it worked!

The scene where the dead Amazons rise up and fight (especially ragdoll-ish Alexa) are exactly how Dead Head would fight ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Up is amazing. Not only is it a fantastic movie, but it's even fantastic by Pixar standards. You should totally go see it. Right now.

It also holds up excellently to a second viewing.

Don't bother springing for the 3-D version, though. It doesn't add enough to be worth the extra $5. Not like Coraline, which knocked my freaking socks off in 3-D.

EDIT: I forgot to mention: This is one of the most truly imaginative and original films I have ever seen.

I saw an article on Digg about how all of the pixar films have grossed more than pretty much every other movie franchise in existence, and got a better rating on rotten tomatoes.

did better than: All 23 James Bond films

Did better than: All 6 batman films, plus all three spider man films

Did better than: All 6 star wars films, plus all four Matrix movies.

etc. You get the picture. It cracked me up.

• 1 month later...

Saw the Half-Blood prince last night. Needless to say it was very good. I say better than Trek my trekkie wife and housemate say otherwise but all of us enjoyed it a great deal. Really brought the book to life well and deffinately set teh stage to knock it out of the park with the next two movies. Ends on a bit of an empire strikes back note but kinda has to if you read the book you know why. Just incase there are those here who have only been folowing the films (Seriously the books are awesome at any age. Read them.) I won't drop any further spoilerish bits :)

Saw the Half-Blood prince last night.

Just in case there are those here who have only been folowing the films (Seriously the books are awesome at any age. Read them.) I won't drop any further spoilerish bits :)

HERMIONE DIES.