Movies

I'm one of those guys who used to go see movies in the theater opening night, or soon after, on a weekly or bi-weekly basis when I was in my late teens and twenties. Now that I'm older with a family and busy schedule, I usually have to wait for the movies to come out on DVD before I can see them. I'm just finally getting around to watching all the summer blockbusters as they file out on disc format.

With that being said, I actually enjoy Spider-Man 3 more than I do the Transformers, which goes against all of the conventional wisdom I've read on the internet. I find the Transformers to be enjoyable, and full of great action and effects, but the characterization felt sort of flat for me. On the other hand, Spider-Man 3 had great action and effects as well, but I found that the number of subplots and the overarching storyline held me more captive, everything from Peter's up and down relationship with Mary Jane, his love-hate relationship with Harry, and the battle between his puppy-eyed do-gooder/emo-self-indulgent halves.

Anybody have anything that surprised them after watching, or do you find my analysis off?

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm one of those guys who used to go see movies in the theater opening night, or soon after, on a weekly or bi-weekly basis when I was in my late teens and twenties. Now that I'm older with a family and busy schedule, I usually have to wait for the movies to come out on DVD before I can see them. I'm just finally getting around to watching all the summer blockbusters as they file out on disc format.

With that being said, I actually enjoy Spider-Man 3 more than I do the Transformers, which goes against all of the conventional wisdom I've read on the internet. I find the Transformers to be enjoyable, and full of great action and effects, but the characterization felt sort of flat for me. On the other hand, Spider-Man 3 had great action and effects as well, but I found that the number of subplots and the overarching storyline held me more captive, everything from Peter's up and down relationship with Mary Jane, his love-hate relationship with Harry, and the battle between his puppy-eyed do-gooder/emo-self-indulgent halves.

Anybody have anything that surprised them after watching, or do you find my analysis off?

I didn't go to Spiderman 3 expecting gold. In fact, I didn't go at all. It was on a flight back to my home state where I saw it. Like all the reviews said, it was far too busy. Three villains, one switching sides, an "evil" Parker, (who was fairly nerdy even in an evil capacity) office rivalries - all too much for one film. You could even see the poor Marvel writing poke it's ugly head in with the revisionist history on Uncle Ben's actual killer. Not the best movie, but I wasn't expecting it to be.

Transformers, on the other hand, had so much hype that I half expected it to be able to cure cancer. In reality, though, it fell far short of that lofty goal, or even the more reasonable one of sustaining suspension of disbelief. The dialogue kept killing it for me. Not the human dialogue, though. For the most part, the actual on-screen actors got some good writing. (With the notable exception of John Turturro. Don't even start on his performance.) But Prime saying "my bad"? Excuse the leet speak, but WTF? And Jazz. My god, could he be any more stereotypically black? I half expected him to start break dancing - OH WAIT, HE DID! That, plus a million other little things ruined it for me. Another good example of the director missing the trees for the forest. (I know that saying is backwards, but that's what happened.)

In short, I agree with EF.

I didn't go to Spiderman 3 expecting gold. In fact, I didn't go at all. It was on a flight back to my home state where I saw it. Like all the reviews said, it was far too busy. Three villains, one switching sides, an "evil" Parker, (who was fairly nerdy even in an evil capacity) office rivalries - all too much for one film. You could even see the poor Marvel writing poke it's ugly head in with the revisionist history on Uncle Ben's actual killer. Not the best movie, but I wasn't expecting it to be.

Transformers, on the other hand, had so much hype that I half expected it to be able to cure cancer. In reality, though, it fell far short of that lofty goal, or even the more reasonable one of sustaining suspension of disbelief. The dialogue kept killing it for me. Not the human dialogue, though. For the most part, the actual on-screen actors got some good writing. (With the notable exception of John Turturro. Don't even start on his performance.) But Prime saying "my bad"? Excuse the leet speak, but WTF? And Jazz. My god, could he be any more stereotypically black? I half expected him to start break dancing - OH WAIT, HE DID! That, plus a million other little things ruined it for me. Another good example of the director missing the trees for the forest. (I know that saying is backwards, but that's what happened.)

Spiderman 3 - Sandman was a nice idea but with the hobgoblin we knew was coming and the decent job they did with venom [i was hoping for more], they could have easily saved that for #4 and then bring in Carnage :twisted: . I still liked it but as was said it was too busy. I would have liked to see the extra screen time for more venom development.

Tranformers - Just like any movie that is made from a cartoon, video game or old TV show, they change some things. I wanted to see the real Bumblebee, they should of given BB's speach problem to Jazz [it would have been closer to the original] and I would have liked to see Megatron turn into some kind of weapon instead of an alien jet. I enjoyed the dialog, I knew it was going to be updated, after all they didn't start interacting with the human culture until 2007 not 1980. I loved Ironhides attitude [real funny for me], Optimus Primes voice was very simular to the original and I missed the old soundwave.

But really, think about all the re-makes we have seen over the last 10 or 20 years [witht he exception of all the last 2 years of marvel movies] that have not had a positive outcome. I think they did a wonderful job with this one. I was on the edge of my seat and got goosebumbs watching it. Yes Spike and Sparkplug were not there, but I for one was very happy they did not ruin the movie like they have done on so many other re-makes. The only re-make that I remember that was well done and stayed true to the TV show over the last 10 years was "Lost in Space". [That was cool]

Spiderman 3 - Sandman was a nice idea but with the hobgoblin we knew was coming and the decent job they did with venom [i was hoping for more], they could have easily saved that for #4 and then bring in Carnage :twisted: . I still liked it but as was said it was too busy. I would have liked to see the extra screen time for more venom development.

Tranformers - Just like any movie that is made from a cartoon, video game or old TV show, they change some things. I wanted to see the real Bumblebee, they should of given BB's speach problem to Jazz [it would have been closer to the original] and I would have liked to see Megatron turn into some kind of weapon instead of an alien jet. I enjoyed the dialog, I knew it was going to be updated, after all they didn't start interacting with the human culture until 2007 not 1980. I loved Ironhides attitude [real funny for me], Optimus Primes voice was very simular to the original and I missed the old soundwave.

But really, think about all the re-makes we have seen over the last 10 or 20 years [witht he exception of all the last 2 years of marvel movies] that have not had a positive outcome. I think they did a wonderful job with this one. I was on the edge of my seat and got goosebumbs watching it. Yes Spike and Sparkplug were not there, but I for one was very happy they did not ruin the movie like they have done on so many other re-makes. The only re-make that I remember that was well done and stayed true to the TV show over the last 10 years was "Lost in Space". [That was cool]

I haven't seen either. :oops: Knowing myself, however, I like the idea of Spiderman 3 far more than I like the idea of a Transformers movie. Spiderman seems more grounded to me: family, school, love interest, etc. And I have more of a history with Spiderman (the other two movies as well as a few issues of Civil War). I have no history with the Transformers at all except for a few movie trailers.

I'll see them both eventually. I'm sure they'll make it to TV sooner or later.

I haven't seen either. :oops: Knowing myself, however, I like the idea of Spiderman 3 far more than I like the idea of a Transformers movie. Spiderman seems more grounded to me: family, school, love interest, etc. And I have more of a history with Spiderman (the other two movies as well as a few issues of Civil War). I have no history with the Transformers at all except for a few movie trailers.

Idk..I loved them both, but spiderman was kinda busey to me, the movie was great, but now who's spidey gonna fight? I'd like to see the lizard or scorpion, and while i'd be extatic over seeing carnage, I think he's more of a grad-finalee type..considering if they used him spider-man would have to have some help...transformers was what it should be..big, violent, kinda scary, ect..not autobots hugging little kids, or decepticons with speech disorders.. :lol:

Idk..I loved them both, but spiderman was kinda busey to me, the movie was great, but now who's spidey gonna fight? I'd like to see the lizard or scorpion, and while i'd be extatic over seeing carnage, I think he's more of a grad-finalee type..considering if they used him spider-man would have to have some help...transformers was what it should be..big, violent, kinda scary, ect..not autobots hugging little kids, or decepticons with speech disorders.. :lol:

I really likes Spider-Man 3, although I reckon they could have built up the Venom story and had his as a fresh villain for number 4 (which I have grave worries about). I thought they did a good job of capturing much of the spirit of Spidey, whilst having fun with the formula, by making Harry a good guy, for example. I think that the latest Superman film is an example of someone twisting the canon in the wrong way by giving him a kid - but that's just my opinion.

As for Transformers, I really liked it. Big robots, explosions, laughs, more explosions, chases, escapes, some semblance a romance and more explosions... also more big robots - what's not to like? :D

I really likes Spider-Man 3, although I reckon they could have built up the Venom story and had his as a fresh villain for number 4 (which I have grave worries about). I thought they did a good job of capturing much of the spirit of Spidey, whilst having fun with the formula, by making Harry a good guy, for example. I think that the latest Superman film is an example of someone twisting the canon in the wrong way by giving him a kid - but that's just my opinion.

As for Transformers, I really liked it. Big robots, explosions, laughs, more explosions, chases, escapes, some semblance a romance and more explosions... also more big robots - what's not to like? :D

Sometimes while watching the Transformers (and even a movie like Batman Begins), my eyes glaze over because the action happens too fast. That is, the characters are basically blurs and you can't tell who's the good guy and who's the bad guy at certain points. In fact, that's my biggest beef with the new Batman movie.

Sometimes while watching the Transformers (and even a movie like Batman Begins), my eyes glaze over because the action happens too fast. That is, the characters are basically blurs and you can't tell who's the good guy and who's the bad guy at certain points. In fact, that's my biggest beef with the new Batman movie.

• 1 month later...

I'm not a big action move fan, but we just watched Live Free or Die Hard. That was the funniest movie I've seen in a long time. I really enjoyed it. It was excessively silly, but it was still a lot of fun.

"I recognize that tone. I'm just not used to hearing it from someone with hair."

Classic stuff.