So, I thought we could probably use a thread to throw out and discuss vignette ideas for upcoming months! Here's mine, and I'm tossing out a format that I thought might be helpful. Feel free to offer ideas on either format, or concept!

Also, as a reminder, anyone is welcome to comment or suggest ideas. You don't have to have funny colored names to participate at all!

Vignette Proposal

Month: December, 2016

Event Tie In: Potentially!

Concept: A blizzard (either mundane or not!), hits and hits hard. The vignette provides opportunities for characters to be snowed in together, caught in the weather, or just dealing with inclement weather. There's a potential for a concurrent thread dealing with the weather's source if its supernatural. I might even be willing to run that thread, especially if AD will give me back up on dealing with combat. (I hate running combat so much).

I love the blizzard idea; so many ways to get PCs involved!

I had a thought the other day, and forgive me if this was done once before and i missed it, but inspired by organizations like Make A Wish and that Spider-Kid event in SF a few years ago:

Hero For A Day!

There are lots of kids out there who struggle with all sorts of challenges, due to health issues, being in the foster care system, etc. The Hero For A Day Foundation works with superheroes to introduce young fans with problems to their heroes, who then spend the day with them, giving them 'flying lessons', taking them under the sea or enjoying other impossible adventures.

It could easily be a month long event to raise awareness of any number of issues affecting children.

Just a thought!

• 2 months later...

Vignette Proposal; How else have you helped?

Concept: Tell a story about a time where your PC helped the community in a way that wasn't super heroics. Did they visit sick kids? Did they volunteer their time? Did they organize an event or establish a charitable organization? It doesn't necessarily need to take place in Freedom City, nor does it have to be out of costume. 

• 2 weeks later...

December Vignette Write Up:

Mid December, in the midst of 'normal' east coast weather, Freedom City is hit by a sudden cold snap that dumps feet of snow on the city. Given all the strange activities that go on in and around the city, it's entirely possible that the weather is not natural but the storm lasts only long enough to snow in the citizens of Freedom City for a weekend. 

For this month, we invite you to submit a vignette to Winter Wonderland (will add the link in when the thread's up), which can focus either on being snowed in, or dealing with the sudden blizzard in one way or another. Perhaps your hero ends up stuck in a house with someone they love - or hate! Or maybe you spend the day out making sure that no good citizens of Freedom City end up suffering in the inclement weather. Or perhaps a typical criminal caper is complicated by the unfriendly weather.

• 3 months later...

Vignette proposal: How does it all end?

What causes your hero to stop being a hero?  Do they just get too old and retire?  Do they die saving the world?  Basically a vignette about the moment where they stop wearing the mask (by their own decision or someone else)

16 hours ago, Nick said:

What causes your hero to stop being a hero?  Do they just get too old and retire?  Do they die saving the world?  Basically a vignette about the moment where they stop wearing the mask (by their own decision or someone else)

Can Frost's be X-rated as he finally woos Vulcana?

Vignette Idea: Ultimate Hay-fever! Alien/interdimensional seeds from a place where the Green won land on Earth-Prime and begin taking root. How does your hero help fight off violently voracious vegetation and all the civil upheaval when the water mains are busted by three-foot thick roots.

Related to this: Vignette idea! Worst Fears

Fear-Master manages to create an aerosol version of his fear gas and makes simultaneous strikes on Emerald City, Bedlam, and Freedom City; or maybe a nightmare beast stalks the night, filling PC dreams to the brim with fright. Either way, what is your character's worst nightmare?

Edited by Raveled
  • 3 weeks later...

Draft

April-May Vignette (Terrans): What Did You Do In The War? 

In February 2017, Atlanteans invaded the surface world - besieging Freedom City and Emerald City, even raiding Wisconsin and Europe for their magical treasures, and causing considerably more trouble than the usually-peaceful people of the Lands Below usually cause. Eventually the war was won, the last great stand of the Captain Thunder-era Freedom League raided the Atlantean capital city and defeated the Deep One mystics who had mind-controlled the Atlantean royal family with sinister intent, but it was still a moment that truly united the heroes of Earth. 

Where when you when it happened? What did you do? 

April-May Vignette (Space): Your Right To Vote 

It's election season in the Lor Republic - the demise of the traditional political parties with Lor-Van has made this first post-Incursion election for Imperator a critically important moment in the history of the battered Republic. There are two major candidates in the running for office. The first is Senator-turned-Ambassador Diena Th'emme, a hero of the Republic and mother of another hero, Diana Th'emme's leadership has kept Coalition Station together since the Incursion, just as it helped keep the Senate together in the years before Incursion. Diplomat and peacemaker, her strongest base of support is with Lor citizens who are not from genetic Lor stock themselves. Under Imperiatrix Th'emme, no Lor will go to bed hungry again. 

The second is Grand Nauarchus Bucklin Frankan - a Lor's Lor and the commanding officer of the Star Navy, "Grandmother Frankan"'s campaign promises to make the Lor strong again - to give them the discipline and order to resist the challenges of the frightening new galaxy where they've found themselves. She was a famous figure on the Holonet in the years before Incursion, a sturdy figure calling for  a moral reawakening of Lor civilization. Warrior and engineer, her primary base of support lies in the military and military-supply worlds. Under Imperiatrix Frankan, no Lor would ever go to bed afraid again. 

All veterans of the Lor military, those born on Lor-settled worlds, member worlds of the Lor Republic, or in Lor-claimed starspace, and permanent residents are eligible to vote. 

I am quite down for both of these. But for Your Right to Vote, would the Vignette be centered around the skullduggery, false flags, and accusations of Khanate interference that come with the Lor election?

Also, an idea I've had in mind:

Icons

Your hero is a role model. Your hero is an example. Your hero is a champion for justice. Your hero is also an icon. The causes they embody, the costume they adopt, the professions/groups they belong to, their subculture, their race, their faith, their orientation - people stand up and notice your heroes for reasons beyond their deeds, but which their deeds certainly color and reflect. How has your hero been taken up as an icon by others? What does he or she represent to others? How does he or she feel about this? 

(This whole Vignette came from the idea of Temperance turning on the latest Solange video, seeing someone wearing a recreation of her Venetian carnivale-style ice mask, and letting out the world's most graceful, controlled spit take.) 

On 4/4/2017 at 9:08 PM, Avenger Assembled said:

Draft

April-May Vignette (Terrans): What Did You Do In The War? 

In February 2017, Atlanteans invaded the surface world - besieging Freedom City and Emerald City, even raiding Wisconsin and Europe for their magical treasures, and causing considerably more trouble than the usually-peaceful people of the Lands Below usually cause. Eventually the war was won, the last great stand of the Captain Thunder-era Freedom League raided the Atlantean capital city and defeated the Deep One mystics who had mind-controlled the Atlantean royal family with sinister intent, but it was still a moment that truly united the heroes of Earth. 

Where when you when it happened? What did you do? 

April-May Vignette (Space): Your Right To Vote 

It's election season in the Lor Republic - the demise of the traditional political parties with Lor-Van has made this first post-Incursion election for Imperator a critically important moment in the history of the battered Republic. There are two major candidates in the running for office. The first is Senator-turned-diplomat Diena Th'emme, a hero of the Republic and mother of another hero, Diana Th'emme's leadership has kept Coalition Station together since the Incursion, just as it helped keep the Senate together in the years before Incursion. Diplomat and peacemaker, her strongest base of support is with Lor citizens who are not from genetic Lor stock themselves. Under Imperiatrix Th'emme, no Lor will go to bed hungry again. 

The second is Grand Nauarchus Bucklin Frankan - a Lor's Lor and the commanding officer of the Star Navy, "Grandmother Frankan"'s campaign promises to make the Lor strong again - to give them the discipline and order to resist the challenges of the frightening new galaxy where they've found themselves. She was a famous figure on the Holonet in the years before Incursion, a sturdy figure calling for  a moral reawakening of Lor civilization. Warrior and engineer, her primary base of support lies in the military and military-supply worlds. Under Imperiatrix Frankan, no Lor would ever go to bed afraid again. 

All veterans of the Lor military, those born on Lor-settled worlds, member worlds of the Lor Republic, or in Lor-claimed starspace, and permanent residents are eligible to vote. 

First one sounds pretty solid, feels like one of our classic "where were you" vignettes (in the best way possible).

I don't have a Space Character but I guess I'm trying to grasp how the 2nd idea plays out....would we have all the people on the board cast votes or something? 

54 minutes ago, trollthumper said:

I am quite down for both of these. But for Your Right to Vote, would the Vignette be centered around the skullduggery, false flags, and accusations of Khanate interference that come with the Lor election?

Also, an idea I've had in mind:

Icons

Your hero is a role model. Your hero is an example. Your hero is a champion for justice. Your hero is also an icon. The causes they embody, the costume they adopt, the professions/groups they belong to, their subculture, their race, their faith, their orientation - people stand up and notice your heroes for reasons beyond their deeds, but which their deeds certainly color and reflect. How has your hero been taken up as an icon by others? What does he or she represent to others? How does he or she feel about this? 

(This whole Vignette came from the idea of Temperance turning on the latest Solange video, seeing someone wearing a recreation of her Venetian carnivale-style ice mask, and letting out the world's most graceful, controlled spit take.) 

Hm. So the idea is that the "icon" angle could be good or bad? 

It's an interesting idea. Not sure how it'd play out for any of my characters, but it's got some grip to it!

• 1 month later...

Given how much schlauging a lot of folks have been having piled on in the last few years/all time, what if all Vignettes are now two-month affairs? I feel that extra time would help with participation and, for THOSE PEOPLE for whom that is not a problem, with additional polishing time.

Father's Day

Most heroes have a father or perhaps a father-like figure (Inventor? Designer?) in their lives; some of them are fathers themselves. What does it mean to be a father in the FCU, or to not have a father? 

This vignette does not have to be focused on the US holiday or even set on Earth, but it should explore issues of fatherhood from either the parent's or child's perspective.

Edited by Heritage
On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:30 PM, Nick said:

I really like this one. I really do. It's good character work, even if it's not something we necessarily want think about.

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:11 PM, trollthumper said:

Icons

I would definitely be down for this one. The adults would be both flattered and horrified at the same time.

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 0:20 AM, Heritage said:

Father's Day

Most heroes have a father or perhaps a father-like figure (Inventor? Designer?) in their lives; some of them are fathers themselves. What does it mean to be a father in the FCU, or to not have a father? 

This vignette does not have to be focused on the US holiday or even set on Earth, but it should explore issues of fatherhood from either the parent's or child's perspective.

This one is practically tailormade for a melancholy Terrifica vignette. This one also has my support.

11 hours ago, Tiffany Korta said:

I'd suggest bundling them together and maybe giving people two months like we have been doing. More choice is always good!

I feel like, if we offer more than 1 option, the Father's Day and Icons ones fit together well. They're similar ideas, and that gives a bit wider range of ideas without jumping to the much more tonally different "The End" idea (which I like!). 

Push The End to October.

... all because of a quote from The Sandman.

“October knew, of course, that the action of turning a page, of ending a chapter or of shutting a book, did not end a tale. Having admitted that, he would also avow that happy endings were never difficult to find: "It is simply a matter," he explained to April, "of finding a sunny place in a garden, where the light is golden and the grass is soft; somewhere to rest, to stop reading, and to be content.” ― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman, Vol. 4: Season of Mists