Mammoth (PL 10) - DeeL

Player Name: Deel                 
Character Name:  Mammoth
Power Level:10 (150/154PP)
Trade-Offs: -3 Defense/+3 Toughness

Unspent Power Points: 4

In Brief: An adventurous sasquatch leaves the big woods to check out the ‘little people’, and finds himself battling threats to peace.

Residence: Claremont Academy Dorms, occasionally returning to the woods
Base of Operations: Claremont Academy
Catchphrase: None

Alternate Identity:  Hau-Tayoomae (“Plays with Sharp Things”)
Identity: Public
Birthplace:  Somewhere in the deep forests of North America
Affiliations: Claremont Academy, The Hrnau (Sasquatch)
Family:  Kikyaumae (Mother), Terry Michelet (Legal foster father)

Description:
Apparent Age: 20.  Sasquatch – h. sesquac -  reach adulthood faster than h. sapiens.
Ethnicity: Not humanly recognizable; reddish skin covered in long brown fur
Height:  7’ 10”
Weight:  500 lbs         
Eyes:  Dark Brown
Hair:  Brown

Hau-Tayoomae is an average male sasquatch in most respects – nearly eight feet tall, with a youthful face that hasn’t quite grown into his obviously craggy features.  His forearms and lower legs are proportionally longer than those of a human.  His face and the ventral surfaces of his torso are almost hairless, showing naturally pink or red skin, but most of his body is covered in fur of varying length.  His head hair, which is dark brown, is longest, with decreasing hair length descending his body.  Fortunately this makes wearing pants convenient and he generally wears cargo pants.  He considers pockets a kind of miracle.

He does not like pullover shirts and never wears t-shirts.  He frequently wears a jacket or hoodie without a shirt.  If there is trouble, he quickly discards whatever top he is wearing, which is probably just as well. 

If he is expecting trouble, he typically wears pants and vest in the school colors.  Although willing to wear shoes as a courtesy, usually just kicks them off when in action to take full advantage of his natural traction.  The palms of his hands and the soles of his feet have jagged, angular prints; probably adaptations to sasquatch mobility.  It might be noted that while his feet are very large, they do not match the footprints of ‘bigfoot’ as found and documented by cryptozoologists.  This might mean that those footprints are hoaxes or left by some other creature, but the plain truth is that sasquatch do not leave footprints unless they want to. 

Power Descriptions:

Most of Mammoth’s powers are derived from normal sasquatch size, muscle tissue density, and capacity for adapting to move quickly and hide effectively.  Some of these abilities are metaphysical in nature; sasquatch animism is no mere superstition, though it is hard to say whether the results derive from an ability to communicate with nature spirits or simply a reflection of their own supernatural power. 

Mammoth’s skill set can be divided into three complimentary groups – first, he is a brawler, strong enough and tough enough to be completely out of normal combatants league (although he is not nearly at the upper limits of metahuman ability.)  Despite the fact that few Sasquatch learn how to fight, Mammoth has easily picked up some dangerous martial skills.

Secondly, he is fast, mobile in almost any environment.  He can run fast enough to outpace any land animal, jump about 200 feet with a running start or nearly 50 feet high.  For someone so large his affinity for taking to great heights is startling, and he seems to be able to fall from any height without harm.  His swimming speed is not record-setting, but again his affinity for water can be surprising. 

Thirdly, like all sasquatch, Mammoth is stealthy.  Unable to turn completely invisible, he almost doesn’t need to, with his soundlessness and combination of jumping and climbing he can be nearly undetectable to anyone who isn’t looking right at him.  Part of this is his sensitivity.  He can locate adversaries easily, and trace their blind spots with precision. 

Note that while he is capable of figuring out human behavior well enough to be deceptive when he needs to, he has no natural capacity for intimidation.  His size and power makes him frightening, but he doesn’t really know how to parley that into a useful social tool.  Sasquatch in general don’t use ritual combat or fighting displays.

History:

When he was very young, his mother found him breaking sticks and rocks and pressing them together to build things, like the Robed Ones – the little people who used everything they touched to build something.  She called him Plays-With-Sharp-Things, and laughingly told him he might have to go to the little people if he wanted to build right.

So it was that even though he followed his instincts and stayed out of the Robed Ones’ sight, he was fascinated by them.  Their building, their destruction, the way they could make stones run like water then freeze them again.   He came to know one, Terry Michelet, a firewatcher who enjoyed living alone – he didn’ realize that his tower was in a sasquatch thoroughfare.  Plays-With-Sharp-Things carefully set out to help him in little things, carefully letting the human know he was there and that he meant no harm.

After a time, Michelet began to speak with the young sasquatch and teach, and learn.  He seemed to have only one voice, but Plays-With-Sharp-Things was willing to constrain his own words so that the human’s ears could hear him.  After Michelet taught him that the marks had meaning, that the ink and dye on dried pulp and other things could be a language like any other, Plays-With-Sharp-Things felt a curiosity like a lightning stroke.  He wanted to know more.  He began to range through the forest, looking for ways to prove his worth to the society of the Robed Ones… 

A few years ago, a violent gang making inroads in Vermont was arrested with the assistance of a tall, extremely hairy metahuman calling himself Hau-Tayoomae.  He revealed that he had been learning English from a parks employee named Michelet, and that with his sponsorship he wanted to establish a legal identity to promote good human/sasquatch relations.  Officials were not inclined to take this story seriously, but had to admit that Hau-Tayoomae’s ability to obscure himself made it just plausible enough to take a chance on.

After careful questioning Hau-Tayoomae was granted legal status.  Given that he was underage and unfamiliar with a great deal of modern culture and technology, arrangements were made for him to attend Claremont academy as an exchange student with special status.  Given his ability to sense trouble and tendency to get involved, he was given the official designation Mammoth and strongly encouraged to learn metahuman tactics and interactions.

Personality & Motivation:

Hau-Tayoomae is adventurous even for a human; for a sasquatch he is almost insane.  He insists, however, that he is called to be where he is by the ancestral spirits of the hrnau who have watched over his people for time beyond recall.  Sasquatch animism is clearly only part of the equation, given his curiosity and sense of comradeship.  He has a keen sense of justice, and likes the idea of people having a fair chance.  Laconic and soft-spoken, he is easily mistaken for retiring or dim especially given that he doesn’t seem to have a threatening bone in his body.  He understands the concept, but intimidation just doesn’t come naturally to him.

He is in the odd position of appreciating the value of various kinds of technology without understanding its use.  This includes everything from writing on up.  Oddly, he gets along with extremely advanced tech more easily than with more basic examples simply because voice-activation and interactive AI fits his animistic worldview – he talks to things, they respond, it’s natural.

He really wants to learn to drive – no-one else is enthusiastic about this prospect.

Sasquatch musical tradition tends to be wordless and arrhythmic – Enya and certain themes by Gustav Holst make him homesick.  But he does enjoy the human approach to music, and any metal band that includes him will have the most killer monster voice of all time.

Powers & Tactics:

“Most humans make lots of noise.  That’s alright, it helps to keep track of them.  I don’t make much noise, but I am big and strong.  Bad people don’t know I’m there until I mess with their stuff.  Or hit them.  That’s good, I don’t like being shot at, though it doesn’t hurt that much.  Sometimes I just hang around overhead and watch bad people for a while, just to make sure I know what’s going on, but if it looks like they are going to hurt someone, then I fall on them.”

Complications:

From a Preliterate Culture:  Mammoth is still learning how to read, and can be tripped up by complex literary expression. 

What does this do?  Mammoth is curious about the way technology works, and will sometimes make it work just for his own edification.  Several times early on he set off burglar and fire alarms just by pressing buttons because the buttons were unmarked and he wanted to see what they did.

My Friends Tell Me Things:  Sasquatch believe that everything has a spirit of its own, including concepts and philosophies.  This has little effect on day to day life, but sometimes Mammoth will seem distracted or even act on odd, out of context information.  It’s hard to tell if this is just some kind of cultural superstition or if sasquatch actually have some kind of spirit communion.

Abilities: 12 + 6 + 10 + 6 + 2 – 2 = 34 PP

Strength: 30 (22 before Growth) (+10)
Dexterity: 16 (+3)
Constitution: 24 (20 before Growth) (+7)
Intelligence: 8 (-1)
Wisdom: 16 (+3)
Charisma: 12 (+1)

Combat: 12 + 16 = 28PP
Initiative: +3 (+3 from DEX)
Attack: +9 Melee, +5 Ranged  (+6 bonus/12 PP, -1 Size Modifier, +4 Attack Focus (Melee))
Grapple: +19 (+5 Attack Bonus, +10 STR Bonus, +4 Size Modifier)
Defense: +7 (+7 Base, +4 Dodge Bonus), +3 Flat-Footed  (+8 bonus/16 PP, -1 Size Modifier)
Knockback: -0

Saving Throws: 4 + 2 = 6 PP

Toughness: +13 (+7 Con, +6 Protection)
Fortitude: +7 (+7 Con)
Reflex: +7 (+3 Dex, +4)
Will: +5 (+3 Wis, +2)

Skills: 28RR = 7PP

Bluff 2 (+3)

Concentration 1 (+4)

Gather Information 4 (+5)

Handle Animal 2 (+3)

Language 2 (Hrnau (Sasquatch-Native), English)

Medicine 1 (+4)

Notice 6 (+9)

Perform (Singing) 2

Sense Motive 4 (+7)

Stealth 2 (+ 5)

Survival 2 (+ 5)

Feats: 16PP

All-Out Attack

Animal Empathy

Attack Focus (Melee) 4

Endurance

Hide in Plain Sight

Improved Grab

Improved Grapple

Improved Overrun

Interpose

Power Attack

Skill Mastery (Escape Artist, Gather Information, Medicine, Survival)

Stunning Attack

Takedown Attack 1

Powers: 2 + 2 + 3 + 13 + 1 + 10 + 6 + 3 + 6 + 8 + 5 = 59 PP

Concealment 2 (Soundless Step; All Auditory) [2 PP] (Mystical)

Damage 1 (Arm like a Club; PF:  Mighty)  [2 PP]  (Natural)

Features 3 (Fur – Immunity to Cold and Sunburn, Iron Stomach - +4 bonus to Survival Checks to find food for himself or other Sasquatch, Mimicry - +10 bonus to Bluff or Perform checks that involve imitating sounds or voices) [3 PP]  (Natural)

Growth 4 (Extra: Duration (Permanent) [+0]; PF: Innate; Modifiers:  +8 to STR, +4 to CON, -1 to Attack and Defense, +4 to Grapple, -4 to Stealth, +2 Intimidation, +5 STR for Carrying Capacity, 10 ft Reach)  [13 PP] (Natural)

Immunity 1 (Cooling Spirits; Environmental Heat) [1 PP] (Mystical)

Impervious Protection to Toughness Saves 10 [10 PP]

Protection 6 (Dense flesh) [6 PP] (Natural)

Regeneration 3 (Mending Spirits; Bruised or Unconscious 3/1 per round with no recover action, )[3 PP] (Mystical)

Spirits of the Chase Array 2 (4 PP array, Power Feats:  Alternate Powers 2)  [6 PP]  (Natural)

·         Base Power:  Speed 4  [4 PP]

·         Alternate Power:  Swimming 3 (Power Feat:  Environmental Adaptation – Aquatic) [4 PP]

·         Alternate Power:  Leaping 4 [4 PP]

Super Movement 4 (Light Feet and Sticky Hands; Slow Fall, Swinging, Trackless, Wall Crawling 1) [8 PP] (Natural)

Super Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Scent, Tracking 1 – Olfactory, Ultra-Hearing, Power Feat:  Uncanny Dodge – Hearing) [5 PP] (Natural)

DC Block

ATTACK              RANGE      SAVE                           EFFECT
Unarmed             Touch      DC 20 Toughness                Damage (Physical)

Totals: Abilities (34) + Combat (28) + Saving Throws (6) + Skills (7) + Feats (16) + Powers (59) = 150/154 Power Points

Right, a couple of things!

I like the history, classic, simple, no horrible tragedies, but maybe expand it a little. What his life was like before coming to human civilisation, why he wanted to leave sasquatch civilisation, that sort of thing.

Also, he's pretty undercapped. At Attack +5, Damage +11, he's only PL8, and Defence +5, Toughness +10, he's PL7.5. You might want to buy up his Attack and Defence, maybe with Dodge Focus and Attack Focus (melee).

Also, little thing, I get he has no Ranged Attack, but he just has flat Attack +5. It took me a while to figure out your maths there, so part of it is semantics, part of it is to avoid confusing Refs :P

Other than that, I just wanted to say, I like the build and the concept, and especially the blend of natural and mysticism-based powers!

Thanks Ecal.  Did a little number shuffling, and while my math might do with a bit of checking I think I have the caps sown up.  

Added a bit to his history, though my ultimate goal is to answer most of the questions of his background in the Questionaire - My plan was to insert links to that and the HellQ somewhere in the character sheet.  Come to think of it, though, I haven't seen that done much in other character sheets.  Would that be a problem?