Lights, Camera, Action! (OOC)

Exaccus, having you roll a Knowledge: Technology check for Doctor Deoxy would be a formality at best. Please read through the following spoilers are relay your findings to the other players as desired.

DC10

Spoiler

The high-definition photographs of the villain's imposing black armor reveal it to be slightly less so when seen up close. It's well-built, constructed by someone who understands the fundamentals of what they're doing... but it's ugly.

Replete with rivets, weld-lines and flaking paint, the armor was put together with no real sense of artistry -- the very picture of function over form.

DC15

Spoiler

Ugly as it is, the armor certainly looks prepared to function properly as such. Constructed of thick plates, Deoxy can conclude that it would take a quite a bit of force to even dent it, let alone break through.

Additionally, the presence of integrated pneumatic systems are a tell-tale sign of simplistic (though undeniably effective) strength augmentation.

DC20

Spoiler

The energy emitted by the armor -- the blast that laid low Rhekgar the Red-Handed -- has been process through several filters. One of them reveals it to be electromagnetic in nature.

Deoxy, smarty-pants that he is, recognizes that the energy signal closely resembles a kind of 'line of sight' radio wave.

DC25

Spoiler

Finally, for a few short frames the man in the armor turned his back on the camera to gloat over the prone body of the barbarian. This revealed a bulbous 'node' on his back, between the shoulders, right above the cape.

On either side of the node, pointing up, are two miniaturized antennae. The good doctor would recognize that one is broadcasting and the other receiving -- though what, and from where, is still unknown.

Edited by Sophistemon
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, let's do a roll for Casey, just for fun.

Knowledge: Technology: 1d20+4=10

Oh well, fairly lame; that's why we've got the doc with us!

On the plus side, she csn use her Quickness to thoroughly read everything in the folder several times in the blink of an eye!

Edited by Heritage

Of course! I'm sorry for the delay; I had been trying to think up some results for your rolls.

Blarghy, if you would like to contact said ex-con magician, please PM me with whatever questions that you'd like Adept to send his way.

Everyone, please roll if you feel it's appropriate.

If you can think of other rolls you'd like to make, please let me know and I'll write out some results.

Gather Information / Knowledge: Pop Culture

DC10

Spoiler

The three kidnapped characters are Rhekgar (the barbarian), Dirk Saber (the contemporary action hero), and Sgt. Helen Ridley (the sci-fi survivor). All were introduced to moviegoers in the 1980s, to various degrees of financial success, and all three of their debut films had achieved cult status by the time the mid-90s rolled around. At the time of their kidnapping all three of the franchises were in the process of being rebooted for a modern audience.

DC15

Spoiler

The idea of rebooting these beloved films was not always well-received by the public. Alongside the tepid optimism that accompanies most movies of this nature there also came a veritable tsunami of vitriol -- a seething tide of cynical pessimism centered around the argument that modern Hollywood, being the creatively bankrupt hive of scum and villainy that it is, would 'miss the point' of the original films and produce a bunch of steaming garbage.

DC20

Spoiler

Nowhere was this more apparent than on FilmFanatix.com, a website devoted to the musings of the cinematically-obsessed whose puerile user base had become increasingly vocal about their displeasure at the constant strip-mining of their childhoods. Film-Fanatix.com had recently come under fire for starting up a controversial online petition -- it is to laugh -- demanding the immediate cessation of the films for the good of basic public decency.

DC25

Spoiler

One of the website's users, DarkFan1134, had been banned several weeks ago for proclaiming that if said petition failed and the production of the movies continued in earnest, those responsible for their creation would be the target of their great and terrible vengeance. After the ban, DarkFan1134 seemed to vanish from the Internet entirely -- all of their social media accounts were deleted and they simply disappeared... as though they'd never been.

Knowledge: Streetwise

DC20

Spoiler

Someone's been buying up a bunch of old appliances. Teevees, radios, microwaves, ancient rabbit-ear antennae and the like, they're all being snapped up like yesterday's junk has become today's hot item. Like a Furby, maybe, if Furbies were still popular. Several of Freedom City's second-hand stores are now completely out of stock of those items, and other items like them -- not that the owners are overly concerned; they've made a lot of money.

Edited by Sophistemon

Skills: 44 r = 11 pp  
Climb 3 (+10) 
Knowledge (Theology and Philosophy) 8 (+8) 
Languages 3 (Atlantean, English, Galstandard, Lemurian [Base]) 
Pilot 1 (+4) 
Notice 8 (+10) 
Sense Motive 8 (+10) 
Stealth 8 (+10) 
Survival 3 (+5) 
Swim 6 (+13) 

I don't think any of those are likely to come up! No worries here - just do your thing! 

Films staring Rhekgar include:

• Rhekgar the Red: Flame of Eagland
  • Rhekgar the Red 2: Thundergeddon
  • Rhekgar the Red 3: Beyond Thundergeddon
  • Rhekgar the Red 4: Rhekgar in Space

Films starring Dirk Saber include:

• Three Nights in Paris
  • All the King's Men
  • Corinthian Blues
  • Eye, Spy

Films starring Helen Ridley include:

• Xeno
  • Xenos
  • Xeno 3
  • Xeno: Resuscitation
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You already let me roll Streetwise and Gather Info earlier in the thread, but essentially this is Adept actually going out and learning what he learned.  Do you wanna play it out, or just bring him back to headquarters to rejoin everyone else?  I dunno how long you plan for the group to be split up, and I don't want to delay everyone else by asking for a scene that runs longer than the others.

If it helps, Adept's next move (post-investigating) will probably be to start poking around Film-Fanatix.com to see if he can figure out who runs it.  'Course, he doesn't have any computer skills, so perhaps that'll be easier said than done, unless he can get by with AEGIS clearance.  I'd like to follow up on all the electronic purchases too, but I'm not really sure how to go about it at the moment.  I assume that none of the pawn shop owners gave sufficient physical descriptions, or credit card numbers, and so on?

Hey, everyone! I'm so sorry about the delay; real life grabbed me and between some unexpected trips and a bit too much focus on person projects I couldn't shake it off. I'm back now, though, and I'm going to try harder to update more often.

@Blarghy

Okay, that sounds about right.

@Exaccus

Would you mind typing out just what it is that Deoxy is attempting to invent? I'd like to work things into a timetable so that everything adds up even, more or less.

Basically its a biotech tracker, cause the dudes obviously well versed in radiowaves and such so a mechanical bug would either be a none issue or something he'd be able to spot himself. probably just feature 1 "Creator Knows Precise Location." with some extras for dimensional and such? just incase he makes a bolt for it.

Oh, something that you'd be able to whip up in only a few minutes of real-time, then?

Your character is going to have at least a few hours before everyone else is 'caught up' with what they're doing -- Sea Devil and Miracle Girl are watching a bunch of films, and Adept is combing the streets for information.

Was there anything else that you'd like for Deoxy to do?

I assume it's ok for Adept to look into this other lead; you didn't bring it up IC so far, I don't think, but that last Gather Info roll turned up the website.  If you think the scene would take too long for a quick solo thing, you can always have our handler need some time to get an address, and maybe send us all in as a group!  Miracle Girl can be the Good Cop.  :P