Entrance Exam (IC)

Azuth65

Jann paced ahead of the others for a few steps, and as soon as he had reached the table, he put down his tray, and took a seat. Immediately, he simply laid his head down in the bowl, and grabbed for one of the glasses of water he had on his tray, emptying it out by pouring it over his head. A few cubes of ice got stuck on his head, while the flowed down into the bowl, pouring over into the tray itself. Jann continued resting his head, the ice cubes still on top of it, while mumbling a bit, audible enough for the others but rather quiet.

“Finally. Much better. “

He stopped for a bit, letting the others catch up to the table to, before inserting himself again into the conversation. His entire body was slouching down, the wings completely relaxed, only some breathing still indicating that he was still alive.

“I fly, yes. Not very fast, but it’s what I do. “

Edited by olopi

"Not directly?" Alex says after a moment of thought "Though i could theoretically could." he adds with a slight nod of his head "Yeah, i definately theoretically could."

"Though at the moment im only really experienced in punchin' stuff." he admits

"I haven't tried but still, my top speed has to be over seventy miles per hour.  I might try that.  Maybe a surfboard shaped one?" Selena mused as she speared a salt potato on her fork.

She chuckled at Jann dowsing himself in ice water.  "You're going to have your air conditioning cranked to 'Arctic cold' levels all summer aren't you?"

When Alex mentioned theoretically being able to fly she directed her attention towards him, "And now I'm curious, what is your power Alex?  Still, punching stuff is a good skill to be proficient in."

"Ah whoops, totally spaced on telling you what my trick was..here lemme show you." he says as he casually grasps his fork and with a few moments of concentration assimilates its properties, his skin transforming as shining metal replaced tanned flesh his seat giving way almost immediately as he crashes to the floor with a thud.

"Whoopsie...I forgot that steel is dense." he says embaressedly as he stands up and starts plying his strength to slowly bend the chairs legs back into shape. "Still, if i copied something that could fly...or is lighter than air i would also be able to fly...or lighter than air." he muses to himself as much as explains to his new friends.

"Well you could become Latex, because then we could fill you with helium! You'll be tied to the wind, but depending on how big you could inflate, you might be able to carry a few people too, Alex." Sakurako said.

She looked over to Selena. "I could come up with something that could collapse into something portable, then deploy into a board that would be easy to lift by your abilities, Selena." She said. "Shouldn't be too difficult."

She looked at Jann. "A... Are you okay, Jann?" Sakurako asked. "You... don't look okay."

Upon the mention of Air conditioning Jann’s head turned towards the side, one of his eyes now looking over the bowl’s rim, looking towards Selena.

“You have Air conditioning here? Praised be the Star Gods, I don’t die of heat just yet. “

When Alex did his thing, Jann was looking too, most of his head still inside the bowl of ice-cubes, his body still completely relaxed. The only part of his body that was really moving was his chest, indicating the fact he was breathing, and his pupils, following everybody’s actions. As Sakurako addressed him, he lifted his head out, so he’d be able to look at her properly. He moved his arms a bit, while also starting to speak, sounding less slow and fatigued now.

“Just heat. Not used to … this. Everything fine, mostly. As for materials, try something strong but light. Best result probably. Aluminium? “

Edited by olopi

Selena chuckled, "You'd hate my home town Feathers.  It doesn't drop much below 70 degrees."  She could practically see him flinch at the thought.

Seeing Alex turn himself into living steel and hearing the explanation of his powers she nodded.  "Awesome.  You're not limited to solid objects right?  Sounds like a fun power to play with."

"Nah, not aluminum.  Would need to be magnetically active.  Iron, steel, copper, or cobalt.  Or at least several strips of one of those metals...  maybe a couple plates," Selena mused.

Sakurako lifted up a finger. "Actually your power works on the properties of magnetic fields. All that would be required is a conductive metal, particularly a conductive metal that has a slight charge. I could make the collapsible hoverboard out of a durable metal that has internally a coil system that produces just enough of a field to be magnetically compatible."

"I could place a EMP shielded sensor that can detect your personal "polarity" so it can adapt to any changes of your own personal electromagnetic "aura" as it were."

She pulled out her data glasses, adjusting them into position. "I'd have to research how well you can access the Lorentz force as well. Perhaps the board could be used as a defensive weapon, or even offensive against non-biological threats."

She grinned, pointing to the others. "I could see what I can do for you guys too, anything you need, I can research a solution. I... might be able to fabricate some things, others might be a "do it yourself" job, but I can point you in the proper direction."

Jann’s head had by now fully emerged from the bowl of ice, and the ice cubes that had still held on had slid down onto the tray, table or floor. The only thing still telling of Jann’s short bath was his hair, wet, and, upon closer look, resembling feathers more than actual hair, just cut really short, so it wasn’t easy to tell.

Upon Selena’s remark, he simply looked at her in disbelief of almost comedic levels, while, yes, also flinching.

“… Seventy? Seventy! How? Seventy is warm summer back home. Warm summer, so too hot. “

Then, Jann listened in to Sakurako’s ideas. He didn’t understand most of it, which could easily be observed but it still seemed to intrigue him. When she asked him and Alex, he thought for a second, before speaking up, looking rather enthusiastic.

“My armor perhaps. Add more things, not just enhanced reflexes. Can show it to you at some point, high tech already, but adding more should be possible. Lots of utility that could be added, I imagine. “

Edited by olopi

"Are you sure?" she inquired, "I tried moving some of my jewelry, a brass door knocker, and some aluminum cans with my power.  None of it budged even an inch."  Taking a sip of her soda the magnetokinetic shrugged, "Then again, this is why I'm here, explore my power and learn to control it better."

As Sakurako continued exploring costume extras and fancy toys, Selena had to chuckle, "It's a shame you're heading for space after graduation.  I imagine you'd have one hell of a costume consultant here on the mudball spinning around a giant nuclear fireball.  If I might be so bold as to throw my two cents towards Alex's?  Lots of pockets and containers of handy substances to turn into.  Sand, water, steel, and so on."

While Jann blinked water from his eyes and calmed down a bit she shrugged, "I'm from Puerto Rico.  Relatively speaking, not far from the equator.  I'm guessing you're from up by Greenland from your reaction to these temps?"

"Well I'm not intending to dissappear... this planet has my full attention. I just plan on living in orbit." Sakurako said. "Dot some I's, cross some T's, and I can run my matters from LEO."

She smiled. "I can work with ideas. I seem to have a nack for building, and in Jann's case, I could  set up a temperature regulation system." She said with a wink.

She leans a elbow on the table as she eats. "What's botherin' me right now though? Hobbies." She said waving her fork.

"As in... can't be a cape all the time." Sakurako mused, sucking up some noodles. "Tried skydiving a couple weeks ago. had my flight pack in case there was a malfunction with the parachute, of course. Went pretty well. Sort of getting to know bits of emergency equipment I might be using." She says, patting the half-inflated swim-ring like device attached to her utility vest.

"I've been thinking of taking up SCUBA diving... my training time in the pool's sort of got the bug in me. Although I'm used to having a always there oxygen supply... not a hour-long time limit."

She stretched. Her physique, as petite as it was, had definition. "Now if only I could convince Casey's dad to let me behind the stick of a Jet... Gotta know how flying fast effects my overall reaction time as I go for my pilot's licence, then get certified for a high-speed aircraft." She said, drumming her fingers on the table a little.

"Starting to think I'm taking this a little too fast."

Jann’s head turned back over to Selena, looking at her with a fair bit of surprise written across his face. He stretched his arms out for a bit, their bones making some quiet and usual sounds, the ones you’d usually hear when stretching for the first time in a while, then started speaking, his voice rather monotonous for once.

“Greenland … that is the name my home has in your tongue, yes. “

“This is the closest I have ever been to the equator, and I do not think I will venture much further south, not during summer. “

He then continued listening in with Sakurako, who had continued speaking, and offered some advice once she had finished.

“A heat regulation system does sound useful, yes. When it comes to … hobbies … have you ever considered martial arts? They are a good way to train, both physical and mental. “

Jann picked up the other glass of water he had brought, the one that still had water in it. As he lifted it up, some water dripped off the bottom back onto the tray, but it didn’t faze him. He drank some of it, before continuing to speak.

“Considering the line of work this school sets us up into, self defense is good to have. “

Edited by olopi

"I've had some experience with energy, Liquids and the like...but im most experienced with solids, takes a lot of effort to not..uuh drift apart which i think is bad." he says as he sets the repaired chair down and returns to his regular form before proceeding to sit down.

"I was thinking of getting some rings for that actually, ya know? need to get faster at it before i start storing samples out of direct skin contact." as he begins to shovel pasta into his mouth.

"Maybe a suit with lots of diffrent materials? mostly been using my beltbuckle."

"Well, before the cape, my go to hobbies were sci-fi and fantasy novels, surfing, and anime.  Though SCUBA does sound fun," Selena said before popping another potato, drowning in butter, into her mouth.  After finishing her morsel she added in regards to the idea of self-defense, "I wouldn't mind some training in Kumdo.  Maybe some sort of staff or knife fighting."

To Alex she cocked her head, "Not a bad idea though I'm now curious, do you know how your power differentiates between you grabbing a rock and picking up a handful of sand to copy?"

Jann followed the conversation, doing his best to keep up. Occasionally he looked like he was trying to think of something, but for the most part, he just listened. A bit more stretching, and some more water making its way into his mouth. The others all were eating various foods, meanwhile he was sitting there with just a glass of water, and water spilled across his tray. He took one of the ice cubes in the bowl, and placed it in his mouth, which was followed by some crunching noises.  

“If you want to train, tell me. I can teach most things, probably. And have all the weapons needed. “

As he had primarily addressed Selena with that, he paused for a second before looking at the other two.

“Same goes for you. Any style, and weapon or unarmed. Should be able to give basic instructions, maybe more depending on the style. Just tell me, no plans on my side until school starts. “

Edited by olopi

"tough question!" Alex exclaims inbetween mouthfuls of food "Not Sure really....Maybe its like a mental thing you know? like subconscious control that came with em?  "i want to be sand not what sand is made of." and kaboom i am ; really all there is too it for me." he offers as he places his cutlery down on his now spotless plate "Just sorta touch the stuff and focus and it happens...gotta focus on keeping my shape too but other than that...."

He sets his cuttlery down on his own empty plate with a quiet clatter "How 'bout you? you got any hoops to jump through when you wanna do specific and precise stuff?"

Stopping to ponder a little at Janns offer "Maybe! mostly been swinging like an ape and hoping for the best and so far that has been enough...i have a feeling it wont last though." he confesses "You box?"

"I'm... in sore need of sharpening my defensive skills. My energy blade can only do so much to compensate for it's weight. Some skill behind it will be nice."

She sat back in her seat, starting to eat again. "You know, if I don't get an opportunity, Selena, to set up some SCUBA out at a beach somewhere before school starts, the simulators will provide a better, and much safer venue."

"Might be more picturesque, although not sure if simulated water can provide the feel."

Considering her answer, Selena's left eye once again glowed with violet light as her fork floated from her hand and speared into the small pile of pulled pork she had taken.  After a second she reached out and lifted a forkful, saying, "Not really.  As long as what I'm trying to move is ferromagnetic, I can just will it to move.  Trying to do anything complex is like using my left hand.  After it's fallen asleep.  One of the things I've been doing to try and improve my precision is spin ball bearings like baoding balls.  I also have been practicing with how many I can spin around me at once.  As of about fifteen minutes ago, my new record is seven."

"Do you think the simulator can also do surf?  I'm itching for some waves and if I can't get to the beach before classes start it might drive me crazy.  Actually, on the subject of the sims, maybe we can combine the SCUBA plan with the combat training?  Pick a couple random threats, Feathers notes our technique as a baseline before starting the instructions?" she mused.

Jann listened into the conversation, doing the best to follow it, but looking somewhat confused at a few words. He then addressed the others once they had finished speaking, talking a bit slower, and less confident, than before.

“I do some boxing, yes. Not the best style with my body, but I have basic experience. Good for training movements in short distance. “

“Have more experience in weapons. But should be able to do basic unarmed training too. Energy blade does sound interesting. Not held one before. “

“Simulator does sound like a good way. Should be able to see some technique, and also help with training, yes. “

Jann then looked at Selena a bit, perhaps a bit distressed and nervous, but doing his best to hide it, but the way he spoke showed that he wasn’t sure this was the right thing to ask.

“What is ... "surf"? ... Have not heard of that before. “

Edited by olopi

"Oh, you mean the "Wreck Room"?" he asked sincerely, having not heard it refered to as anything else by faculty or peers alike before now.

"Yeah that sounds good...do we need to like book it or something though?" he asks earnestly "I only been in it briefly when they were takin' my measure ya kinow?" he says as downs his melted ice-lolly drink and picking up his now empty tray "'Scuse me whilst i rack this up."

Edited by Exaccus

"It can do all sorts of things. I've been learning it's ins-and-outs in terms of programming, although they don't want to show me the actual hardware just yet."

She sighed. "I could set it up to give all sorts of oceanic conditions, with the mercy of being able to breathe the water if gear fails, or to surface fast without catching the bends. Reality breaking yes, but it's one of the room's safety features."

"As for combat it can provide as well. Although the last time I was involved in a crisis on the open sea it was... more hairy than I wanted to deal with."

She slurped up some more of her Spaghetti. "The room is generally more open over the summer as there's fewer students here, although I haven't regained my privileges until recently to the room due to a sabbatical a while ago. I'll probably only get a couple weeks of time for space training until I have to start competing with students and classes again in the new year."

"To be honest I'm finding that one of the major hurdles I'm feeling here... I sense I'm both outgrowing this place and not feeling adequate enough to leave at the same time."

• 2 weeks later...

"I'm not sure really how to explain it well.  You paddle out on your board and when a suitable wave comes along you pop up and try to ride it for as long as you can," she answered Jann.  "If we can't get a session of the Room in, maybe we can hit the beach and I'll show you?"

Selena ate a few more bites of sauce covered pork while Sakurako explained her knowledge and some of her experiences with the school's training room.  "I've got to try and get on the list, this thing sounds amazing.  I can't help but wonder if on Halloween someone's ever programmed in some kind of horror LARP experience.  I'm picturing metahumans fighting xenomorphs and it's going to take forever to get it out of my head now."

When the gadgeteer expressed her feelings about the school she commented, "I think I get what you're feeling.  Well, you've got three decent reasons to stick around.  I mean, who else am I going to accidentally hurl pinballs at when you go?"