Eve had settled into placing the chairs into little clusters around the fire, with a set a discrete distance further from the fire than the others.  She was in the middle of setting up the cooking gear near the coolers, with the occasional bemused glance at the others as she caught snippets of conversation and playful antics when the sound of a phone came from the bag she brought.

The Frenchwoman practically abandoned her efforts as she bound toward bag, fished her phone out and flopped into her chair with a huge grin on her face.  "Bonjour, mon petit chaton!"

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A swiftly-moving black silhouette was briefly visible beneath the waves, racing towards the shoreline with great speed, before suddenly Aquaria erupted up onto the beach near the bonfire. She stepped out of the water, walking on two legs, running fingers through her springy crest with a look of goggle-eyed joy on her froggy face. "This is wonderful!" she bellowed in her deep bass voice. "This is the best party!" In her other three-fingered hand, she held a still-flopping grey-white fish that she proceeded to tear open with her fingers like someone ripping off the top of a plastic bag to get at the treats inside. As she hopped over to join the group, she tossed fragments of fish guts to Avro and Baxter before plopping down near the fire. "There are so many fish," she croaked happily, rubbing herself down with part of the fish still in her hand like it was roll-on deodorant. "I will wash it off in the water," she promised Jessie, "but they don't sell oilfish at the market. I can't get it anywhere else!" 

"Well there's a thought to keep me warmer than the fire," said Tarva, sliding one hand down Kimber's cheek. "You should go and surf, boon. Tempt me enough and I could even join you out there - when the shadows are a little thicker." She smiled and took a seat distant from the fire and closer to the far side of the beach, the better to encourage Kimber to join her there later. Her shadows, cast flickering back against the dune, were noticeably blacker than those of the others - and perhaps more numerous. "You should get out there and surf too, Jessie!" she added, joining Kimber in encouraging the shy powerhouse. "Master the waves!

"Does anyone mind if I have camera?" inquired Frost, producing from inside his shirt what looked for all the world like an old-fashioned flashbulb camera. "Don't worry, is all modern night-time camera, But I know better than to photograph ladies and gentleman at beach without a question."

Indira made an odd and amused - if entirely malice-less - humming noise, and took a moment to openly size Kimo up. "I did not mean to imply that I could not be taught," she clarified, politely, "and I did not mean to claim that you are not good enough at teaching. My concern was more practical. A...how did you say it, 'big moke'?...like you can surf very well, and I do not claim to be an expert in physics, but I believe I outweigh you by at least one hundred pounds."

She shrugged, smiling as if it was entirely normal for less than six feet of athletic young woman to weigh almost a fifth of a ton, and as if this was an entirely normal thing to talk about. "I do very much look forward to watching everyone surf, however. I may join others in the water if they go; I do not get many chances to swim. And, no food for me," she quickly added, holding up a hand. "I am not vegetarian, but my diet is unusual; I believe Kimber brought something I can eat if I do get hungry. Do let Aquaria and I know if you require fish, though; I do not know what is in the area, but if it is here we can catch it."

She glanced over at Aquaria as she spoke, just in time to catch her applying fish oil, and made a slightly embarrassed face. "....I do promise that any fish we bring you for eating will have been handled with care."

"In the cooler!" Kimber called to Indira with a thumbs up as she jogged by the grill, taking the long way toward Leilani and Dimitri to avoid getting too close to the bonfire. Close enough to hear the Russian ask about photographs she protested with only slightly exaggerated concern, "Oh, but then you won't be in any of the pictures!" She held her hand out with a grin that looked ready to dissolve into laughter at any moment. "Here, let me borrow the camera for a second so I can get one of you two before surf school! I don't think Eve's going anywhere for a bit."

The video on Eve's phone bounced around for a moment as the device on the over end was set down into a docking station. "Hey, foxy!" Becky replied as she came into focus, settling down in what her fiancé recognized as one end of the couch in her apartment's main room. If she'd had to guess she'd have said the lamp at the opposite end of the room was turned on at its dimmest setting but more of the light came from scented candles set up around Becky's phone, doing a reasonable job of replicating the light the bonfire was casting on the Frenchwoman. In the same spirit she was wearing a swimsuit not dissimilar to the one Eve had picked out for herself, its blue top piece printed with white fleurs-de-lis over red bottoms largely obscured from the camera's view by long legs folded atop the cushions. Eve happened to know for a fact that the suit Becky wore when she actually went swimming was a morphic molecule one-piece that looked like her True North uniform with the sleeve and pants removed - it was almost as difficult for a superhero to get through a day off uninterrupted in Ottawa as it was in Freedom City - meaning this one was entirely for her benefit, an assumption confirmed by the pleased smile the taller woman wore. "Can you see me alright?"

Jessie grimaced at Aquaria's exuberant fish-handling, though she did her best not to actually wrinkle her nose at the smell. "Just do it before we get back to the apartment," she reminded her roommate. They had enough problems with managing weird smells and mildew without Aquaria deliberately adding new aromas. "I'm just gonna go see if I remember how to surf."

With a smooth, ground-eating jog, she ran over and scooped up one of the surfboards from the sand, then headed into the waves. Her swimming was more effective than elegant, sheer power making up for lack of technique. She clambered upright as soon as a wave came along, and immediately wobbled dangerously as old remembered skills clashed with a very different body. That first time, she executed a clean dive off the board before she wiped out, then paddled over to retrieve it and tried again. This time was more successful, and she actually found herself grinning as the wave swept her toward the shore. 

Daphne loved to try new things and she’d practicing a natty little wetsuit for just an occasions, but she also had a real love for media of any kind especially if she could take part in someway.

“Oh I could help with taking a photo, I have certain abilities that could mean everyone can be in the picture.”

To demonstrate she stood up but stretched one of her arms so she could still scratch Avro in that perfect little spot. She’d used her abilities a few, well quite a few really, toget those just perfect selfie shots.

"I am an excellent hunter," boomed Aquaria, "I will use a sharp stick to catch any fish you want." She didn't seem offended - just eager to reassure everyone that she was an excellent catcher of fish.With the camera safely in Daphne's stretchy hand, Aquaria hopped over to watch the picture being taken. "You are a great surfer," she croaked cheerfully to Jessie as she crouched on the sand, smelling distinctly of oily fish. "No, Baxter, no kisses!

"Ah, well, let me just put down my hat..." Dimitri put his arm around Leilani automatically for the picture, her warmth matching his thermovoric nature so precisely that he couldn't resist the natural temptation to lean over and kiss her just as the camera snapped. 

Leilani's shoulders had relaxed under Dimitri's arm when it dropped around her. Crowds had never been a problem before her unplanned sleep under the waves, but she'd not burned hot enough to melt rock before then as well. With the arm around her shoulders came the certainty that any lapse on her part would be well contained before it rippled out to other, more flammable, guests. She tipped her chin up to offer a quiet thanks, only to be startled by the kiss that landed on her. The soft whoosh of heat, however, was well contained by the thermavore's nature thankfully, leaving her blush the only outward sign. 

"Haaah," the elemental mumbled eloquently before recovering enough to offer Dimitri a lopsided smile, her cheeks pink under her tan. It wasn't entirely unexpected, Leilani had been aware enough to recognize the timber of the Russian's affection over the last few weeks, but it wasn't certainly anything she felt comfortable moving on while so dependent on the Freedom League. Really, that had been one more reason for her internal push to stand on her own two feet in the strange city. "Maybe we'll get you on a board yet, hm? Do you have words for surfing in Russian?"

Kimo raised a brow at Indira's commentary though she'd acknowledged being an alien so odd diet wasn't to surprising and he was relieved if confused by the metallic lumps reserved for the Ferravore, better than cats or slugs or ... fish oil?  He'd spent his life by and in the sea but that was a new kind of stink, not as pungent as the canneries certainly but somehow more purely fishy.  He shook his head to Leilani, "Wooo Laka say you run a wild crowd Auntie an she no kiddin."  he teased lightly. He however was growing accustomed enough to the oddities that the extendo arm didn't even phase him at this point and after the picture he smirked at his great aunts antics with her weirdo of choice humming lightly under his breath, "Someone to laaaaavaaaa..."  as he set the assorted fair sizzling away on the grill.

Edited by angrydurf

Indira seemed to watch Daphne's stunt with near-professional interest, eyes voiding out to black again to watch her arm stretch its way out. "I have not seen many of your kind shapeshift in person. I am a bit...what is the word, envious?" she admitted, cocking her head.

Her left hand tightened its grip on her long cloth while the right snaked out, extending toward Avro to grace him with a second dose of spot-satisfying attention. The hand remained human, certainly, as did the arm still near her body...but everything else had become clean silver metal, like someone had pulled her limb in twain and installed mercury in-between, smearing the colors where the two met. "I can obtain the length, of course, but I am limited by my caste. I have always wondered what it might be like to control color so well - it seems like it would be very useful."

Having taken a quick few steps out of the way so that Daphne could take the photo of Dmitri and Leilani, Kimber placed her palms together under her nose and emitted a soft but high pitched sound of excitement at the brief kiss. Rather than make a futile attempt to hide her grin she spun about on one heel toward where the food was being prepared. The bonfire was still uncomfortably close but she focused on the lesser heat from the grill, likening it in her head to the oven she'd gradually gotten comfortable with. It didn't hurt to have Indira nearby, either, with her not unpracticed ability to turn into a broad, fireproof shield if necessary.

"Eee, I didn't think he was really going to do it!" she whispered energetically, bouncing up and down on the balls of her feet. Snapping her fingers she added, "Ooh, and speaking of misleading hard exteriors, before I forget, I made the kiln-cakes with softer metals in the middle so if you put them in the fire for a bit they should get gooey centres like you like."

Eve bit the inside of her lip and grinned, giving her fiancé a short nod.  "I love that suit," Eve cooed, tucking her legs under her as she settled back into the chair.  "You know I'm going to have to reciprocate," she added with an impish grin.  "Think I'd look good with some maple leaves?"

The Frenchwoman's voice was light as she looked on Becky fondly, and though the distance degraded their mental link somewhat Becky could feel that fondness.  Eve settled a hand on her thigh and concentrated on sending that sensation across the link, keeping her expression carefully neutral though her eyes betrayed some mischief.

With a few extra arms for support Daphne took a couple of photographs, and a couple of pics with her cell, before carefully returning the camera to it's owner. She then turned her attention back to Indira.

"Oh wow that's pretty good, I'm not so good with reflective surfaces but colors I seem natural at

Her arm cycled through a series of colors, many unnatural to humans, before settling on red.

"This is the color of my species, there though to be honest I prefer this colour really." Her skin returned to her human tones "Though I don't know much about my own species, I've only met my uncles who live here on Earth. And my genetic code was altered through my trip through space, so I'm not the most standard of Grue."

With Kimbers arrival to apparently gossip Daphne stepped back to allow them all to converse. In her mind she was the new character on an already running series so she'd have to step aside for the established characters. Maybe she could try that surfing now?

"In Russia, best surfing is off Kamchatka Peninsula," said Dimitri with uncommon warmth, looking like the cat with the cream after their kiss. "Land is full of volcanoes and water rarely rises above fifty degrees Fahrenheit. I take you there sometime - but I prefer surfing in your waters anytime, Leilani." He smiled at her and leaned in, his arm against hers. "Water is hazardous for man of cold. If I fall in, you promise to keep me warm?" he inquired of her. It was the first time he'd really let himself flirt. 

"Oh, it's not that surprising," said Tarva, her voice like exceptionally dark chocolate as she wrapped her arms around Kimber, watching the thermovore and the volcanic woman with a look of great interest on her face. "He's been wanting to plunge into that water for quite some time..." Her murmur into Kimber's ear was warm and affectionate. "Boon, If you surf, I'll surf with you," she promised Kimber. "But you go first, so I can enjoy you out there." Raising her voice to Daphne, she said, "Your colors are magnificent. How dark can you be?"

Aquaria croaked softly as she considered this conversation - she had just met Leilani, but she did not like being around Comrade Frost very much. She turned her upper body and croaked to the other women. "But isn't his seed cold and dead? How will they mate?

To her credit, it was Tarva who answered that one - rather seriously. "Well, water-bearer, as you know, Surfacers mate for reasons besides breeding - and there are manifold ways of mating, if you are so inclined."

"That's fine," Kimber agreed in a similarly hushed tone, pressing back against Tarva's torso and folding her arms over the pair encircling her. "That'll make us even when I enjoy you later." She very nearly managed to get through the sentence with a straight face. While she knew there were those present with hearing acute enough to have overheard she trusted they would be polite enough to feign otherwise. She traced affectionate circles on the other woman's wrist with her thumb as Aquaria's question was answered. The shadow witch was no shrinking violet where bodily fluids were concerned but defusing that metaphorical embarrassment mine was appreciated nonetheless; she would die a second time happy if she never had to think about Dimitri's seed again.

Noticing Daphne stepping backward the poltergeist interjected, "Not everyone can pull off as much black as you, liquorice whip. And not everyone is lucky enough to be blue!" Kimber's briefly allowed herself to shift into varied shades of beryl and azure before returning to a semblance to flesh and blood. She flashed the alien shapeshifter a broad grin. "Red's good too, though! I know a guy back in Canada who used to live in space too and he definitely makes it work."

Meanwhile Eve's efforts were awarded by a flush across Becky's cheeks that even on the small screen on her phone she could see extended down the brunette's neck to her chest. "Oh my god, stop that!" she chided between laughter, not sounding like she meant it at all. "I was hoping you'd like it. Took a day trip over to Montreal for it." Her lips curved upward in an expression that mixed warm adoration with a hint of predatory teeth and she leaned forward toward the camera. "Were you thinking just maple leaves...?"

Indira had, in a lull, managed to make her way over to the food, gently digging out a couple of her metal 'cupcakes' and inspecting them with a smile. "I could gain a little weight," she noted to no one in particular, weighting a pair in her hand before setting them next to the fire to warm. "I believe it is tradition to exercise before eating such things, so I will go for that swim. I...ah, I would not touch those, however. They are likely to get very hot."

She offered the group a short bow and just...walked off into the water, strolling through the waves and down along the underwater floor until she disappeared from view entirely. Shortly thereafter, something could be seen cresting the water's surface here and there, like some kind of alien manta ray, trailing multiple tendrils and a long, thin cloth.

Daphne gave a little smile and without any effort her skin went the velvety black of space, with little points of light glittering among the darkness.

“When I was very little,before I was fully cognitive I would look out into space and copy what I saw, this is the sat field about fourteen light years from Earth. Cause not long after that I started watching Earth’s broadcasts and started to copying what I saw there.”

Her skin slowly returned to her “natural” human skin tones

“Didn’t someone mention that they’d show people how to surf?”

Shapeshifting aliens, frog people, shadow witches, and ghosts aside this really wasn't any different than a normal cookout Kimo thought as he glanced at the soft center ingots and shrugged, mostly at least.  "I'll be careful yea."  he replied and seemed now casually curious about the attendees powers and natures as he observed the stretching and color shifting with a small smile, "Seems handy though."  he agreed without acknowledging the probably unintentional pun.  

Smirking slightly at Kimbers excitement and wincing at both the frog girls forthright concerns and the not even inuendo any more Tarva returned with Kimo shook his head, "I pretty sure the lack of babies is a bonus dere."  he suggested with a laugh and glanced at the almost couple with a wry smile, "I can't say I get it but Auntie seem happy."  he shrugged, "An if she not he can probably handle her temper, mostly."

As the conversation drifted back to the surf and he pulled the first set of grilled meats from the fire he called out, "Foods up if ya hungry." and set the plate to the side and smiled at Daphne, "Auntie say she give lessons an I spent a few summers teaching tourists if you wanna wait till these all done."  he gestured at the grill with a shrug and picked up a burger in one hand as he continued to monitor the next batch of probably too much food given how few attendees ate.

Leilani, thankfully, missed both Aquaria's question and the ensuing answer as she let her bare shoulder brush Dimitri's, "Don't got too many skills, but I can keep the water plenty warm," she replied - flirted, really - back in return. "I'm even a certified life guard now. I won't leave you to freeze, if you decide to jump in."

She arched both brows, in subtle challenge and invitation, a small smile curving her lips before she pivoted to shed her sarong by the fire. Bending over, she scooped up the new fiberglass board, purchased with the largess of her first beach paycheck. "I did promise surfing lessons, though. Grab a board, Daphne. Getting the hang of its easy - mastering it can take a life time, though." Her bi colored gaze fell on Dimitri over her shoulder, "Take whatever pictures you want - and wave me over if you wanna join in, yeah?"

"While she is teaching Daphne, we should play a contest," croaked Aquaria cheerfully to Kimber and Tarva, glad to leave behind the subject of Surfacer mating and its many bizarre foibles. "We should play beach volleyball!" Raising her head as much as her thick neck allowed, she put her hands to the sides of her gigantic mouth and bellowed out to Jessie, who was still out on the water. "JESSIE! LET'S PLAY VOLLEYBALL!" Turning back to the others, she said, "All the Surfacer females play volleyball at the beach, I have seen it on the television. I saw the net and ball!" she added, pointing to the beach supplies laid in by Kimo and Leilani did indeed include both net and volleyball. 

Dimitri kept his jaw closed - but he smiled, obviously very much enjoying the sight of Leilani entering her element. "I will keep best pictures in here!" he promised her, putting his hand over his heart (or rather, where his heart should be) as he watched Leilani and Daphne head for the water. He was still smiling as he sat down again by the fire, the bonfire notably dimming for a moment or two. He was very distracted! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hardly containing her excitement Daphne grabbed one of the boards, not actually bothering walking over to one, as she morphed her costume into that cute little wetsuit she’d been practicing. With a pang she’d hoped she wouldn’t miss the volleyball, from what she heard it was a vital part of the beach experience, but she also really wanted to try surfing.

“Okay I’m ready to go! Not to sure about the whole balance thing but on the plus side I don’t need to breath so the water won’t be a problem... and oh yeah I can grow really big as well.”

Jessie didn't seem entirely enthusiastic over Aquaria's volleyball idea, but she gamely trotted over and began helping to set up the net and mark off a court with beach rocks. While she was at it, she filled Aquaria in on the rules of beach volleyball, which were somewhat different than what the amphibian had picked up by watching televised events. When the court was set up, Jessie took the server position and carefully, oh-so-gently and carefully, served the ball over the net. It whumpfed down into the sand just barely in front of the out of bounds lines. It was close enough. "Who else is playing?" 

"Ooh!" Kimber turned about enough to kiss Tarva's jawline before extricating herself from the taller woman's arms. "This'll give you something to watch," she suggested sotto voce with a smile that was aiming for teasing but was a few shades too excited at the prospect of beach volleyball to pull it off. Raising her voice she called to her friend, "Indira, let's go! Original cheerful and stoic immigrant roommates versus version two point oh, eh?" Floating a few centimetres over the sand she sped over to the other side of the next across from Aquaria and Jessie before touching down with at least enough corporealness to leave footprints. The phantom didn't get much use out of physical exercise but she still enjoyed flexing her ectoplasmic equivalent of muscles in actual games when the opportunity arose. She also wasn't sorry for the excuse to move a little further away from the bonfire.

"Well, if you fall off, you just get back on again," Leilani offered the reassurance as she guided the Grue towards the waters. A kinetic sort of creature, Leilani demonstrated more than explained but she was actually good at providing the instruction in how to set the board into the waves and paddle out towards the surf that Kimo was providing. Sitting astride her board, her legs in the water, Leilani bobbed up and down in the swells as she gestured towards the surf as it rolled in. "So, watchu wanna do... is you gonna paddle out towards the waves and then, turn the board 'round. When there's a good wave, you paddle into the wave and pop up when it starts to go, yeah? Lemme catch a little one, an' I'll show you."

Leilani leaned forward on her board until she was laying flat on her stomach. Paddling out with quick, sharp strokes, she turned the board around and caught the first wave back that seemed decent. Pressing up with her hands, she rose up quickly as the wave rose, a whoop of pure glee as slight shifting of her feet drove the board along the wave. Calling out as she passed Daphne, "Is okay if you gotta get up one foot at a time too. Whatever feels right at first is where to start!"

Of course, most people started by practicing padding on sand but Leilani had never been the most patient of creatures.

Aquaria wasn't entirely sure what position to adopt when playing volleyball - it was pretty clear she'd never actually played the game other than watching it on television. But with a little help from the others, who after all had actually gone through high school gym classes (albeit atypical ones), she was able to figure out where to stand and what position to adopt as everyone got ready. She was looking forward to playing with their friends - Kimber the cheerful and Indira chaos restrained, and in helping Jessie have a good time. She still smelled distinctly of fish oil, but the wind and salt air were beginning to drive that away. Soon she'd need to soak herself again - but not just yet! "Good surfing! We should let them shoot first," she croaked merrily to Jessie, "because we have challenged them to the duel!

For his part, Baxter settled down on Tarva's lap, knowing from experience that the tall shadow woman was a soft touch when it came to dog treats and scratching behind the ears. She sang a few bars of an old song to the dog as they watched the players on the makeshift field, one in a language no one quite recognized but was beautiful enough for that. "Show them your power!" called Tarva, "Give them a show they won't forget!

With Kimber busy with the game and Leilani heading out to sea, Dimitri walked down to the edge of the surf and watched Leilani and Daphne begin their lessons. Standing on the edge of the wet sand, the liquid beneath his feet was beginning to crystallize into ice did he step back, a wistful smile tugging briefly at his features before he stepped back to begin taking pictures. "Magnificent!" he called. "Like watching Esther Williams brought to life!"