What are you reading?

cosmicarus

I think Whedon and Bendis came from the same school of episodic writing.

Whedon certainly has a brilliant mind for arcs.

Has anyone read Buffy Season 8 yet?

I've read the first trade, and I quite enjoyed it. Although I really like Buffy, I'm not as into it as some of my friends, but I think that helped me enjoy it more - I wasn't going to be as critical. It really takes a sidestep from the usual Buffy-ness, but stays within the same universe. That's my opinion, anyways.

Has anyone read Fray? It's Whedon's slayer in the future epic. I really liked it. A nice self-contained story with some good changes.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Whedon and Bendis came from the same school of episodic writing.

Whedon certainly has a brilliant mind for arcs.

Has anyone read Buffy Season 8 yet?

I've read the first trade, and I quite enjoyed it. Although I really like Buffy, I'm not as into it as some of my friends, but I think that helped me enjoy it more - I wasn't going to be as critical. It really takes a sidestep from the usual Buffy-ness, but stays within the same universe. That's my opinion, anyways.

Has anyone read Fray? It's Whedon's slayer in the future epic. I really liked it. A nice self-contained story with some good changes.

Although I really like Buffy, I'm not as into it as some of my friends, but I think that helped me enjoy it more - I wasn't going to be as critical.

I wish I could have been more objective! I'm a big Buffy fan, so I couldn't withhold my critical eye.

From what I've read, the latest Buffy really intrigues me, but there were some moments that took me aback. Faith using a Batman-style zipline? That was unsettling for some reason. Overall, I agree the series does appear to stick to the show's tone. The art's not too shabby. Apparently there's a canonical season six for Angel, plotted by Brian Lynch and Whedon. I think it's called Angel: After the Fall.

*checks Wikipeida*

Yep, that's right. I suppose after Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight did so well, it makes sense to further Angel's story along, too.

I've read Fray and I liked it, but I wasn't crazy about the art. It looked hastily drawn to me, and the backgrounds were far to minimalistic for my taste. I'm really picky about art. The story is worth reading, in my opinion.

Although I really like Buffy, I'm not as into it as some of my friends, but I think that helped me enjoy it more - I wasn't going to be as critical.

I wish I could have been more objective! I'm a big Buffy fan, so I couldn't withhold my critical eye.

From what I've read, the latest Buffy really intrigues me, but there were some moments that took me aback. Faith using a Batman-style zipline? That was unsettling for some reason. Overall, I agree the series does appear to stick to the show's tone. The art's not too shabby. Apparently there's a canonical season six for Angel, plotted by Brian Lynch and Whedon. I think it's called Angel: After the Fall.

*checks Wikipeida*

Yep, that's right. I suppose after Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight did so well, it makes sense to further Angel's story along, too.

I've read Fray and I liked it, but I wasn't crazy about the art. It looked hastily drawn to me, and the backgrounds were far to minimalistic for my taste. I'm really picky about art. The story is worth reading, in my opinion.

*checks Wikipeida*

Yeah, I've read Fray and liked it too. I was a bit more impressed by the art, though. Maybe it's just been a while since I took a look, but I thought it really had the whole "future distopia" thing down.

Other than that, though, I haven't checked out Whedon's comic work. I am a big fan of Buffy and Angel, so I figure I should.

Yeah, I've read Fray and liked it too. I was a bit more impressed by the art, though. Maybe it's just been a while since I took a look, but I thought it really had the whole "future distopia" thing down.

Other than that, though, I haven't checked out Whedon's comic work. I am a big fan of Buffy and Angel, so I figure I should.

I really liked the Fray art, so it seems we have all levels of appreciation here :D But comic art is really a personal thing.

But speaking of art, a few of my mates have actually picked up the first Angel: After the fall issue and the big problem they had with it was the art. I got the impression that it was very dark and sometimes hard to see, which was good for the demons, not so good for the rest of the story.

That said, they said the actual narrative was worth the price of admission at least.

I really liked the Fray art, so it seems we have all levels of appreciation here :D But comic art is really a personal thing.

But speaking of art, a few of my mates have actually picked up the first Angel: After the fall issue and the big problem they had with it was the art. I got the impression that it was very dark and sometimes hard to see, which was good for the demons, not so good for the rest of the story.

That said, they said the actual narrative was worth the price of admission at least.

Oh, if you want to check out a good trade that's also very keeping with the times, pick up DMZ. It is very America-centric, but if you are at all familiar with the political situation here, it's a frighteningly plausible take on a worst case scenario in the country.

That is, by the way, the only time I will mention politics. :)

Besides that, the narritive is tight, to the point, and engaging, the art fits perfectly with the setting, and the characters actually inspire sympathy instead of nausea. Check it out.

Oh, if you want to check out a good trade that's also very keeping with the times, pick up DMZ. It is very America-centric, but if you are at all familiar with the political situation here, it's a frighteningly plausible take on a worst case scenario in the country.

Besides that, the narritive is tight, to the point, and engaging, the art fits perfectly with the setting, and the characters actually inspire sympathy instead of nausea. Check it out.