[IC] Irradiated Intervention

olopi

Ethan paused, finished unwrapping his stick of gum, held the pack out to Warne, and smiled mid-chew. "I'd love to take the AMP," he said. His voice was moderately wistful, and it was obvious that he viewed the machine the way other men might view their car or motorcycle. It had become a natural extension of his body, malfunctions and all, and he couldn't help but feel at home within the cockpit. "I don't see why we couldn't have the best of both worlds," he mused. "Good old Roosevelt: 'Speak softly, and carry a big stick.' The threat of force can be as persuasive as actually throwing the punch." He frowned. "Besides, I'm practically useless without it when we're dealing with elevated threat levels." Ethan shrugged. "Ultimately, it's not up to me. It's the boss's call -- I don't own the AMP." He chuckled. "Though it'd be nice if I did."

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

Becker looked a bit doubtful, but nevertheless seemed to understand Stone’s concerns. She was handed a tablet by one of the fellow agents, and clicked a few buttons, before making eye contact with the two agents (and Bonfire), again.

“I’ll get you the necessary permissions. In the end, it’s up to you. Chances are you’ll be going into the building, so the AMP might be a bit obstructive. If you think you can handle that, without getting us any damage claims, then I have no objection. And as I’m responsible for all of this now, I leave it up to you. “

Sometime later

Neutron Industries. Offices, Hanover, Freedom City

It was starting to get late in the day. It was still within office hours, but the sun was starting to edge closer and closer to the horizon. Neutron Industries ‘s main offices were part of its research facility, the one where this entire mess had started at. It was a fairly simple building, it would not win any beauty contests, but also didn’t stand out for looking terrible. The upper floors had glass walls, whereas ones between there and the reception just had the occasional window.

The black car pulled up in the parking lot. Finding an empty spot wasn’t easy, as most seemed to be taken, but there still were a few empty ones on the edges. There was another car, also full of officers, standing by in the vicinity. Usually not an issue, but it was better to be careful.

Becker had driven the car, and as she parked it, she gave one final check to the radio. The research here caused some interference, but it was still audible.

“Okay. Here we are, let’s go. “

Upgrade split the sky like a bolt of silver lightning as it approached the building. It flew gracefully, one arm outstretched in a classic pose, before pausing mid-air and hovering. The mechanical man floated there, unnervingly still, as though considering something. Then, without warning, it fell. Several tons of armor, armament and ammunition plummeted to Earth at a terrifying speed before once more halting. The landing was smooth, almost mockingly so when compared to more conventional aircraft, and the AMP knelt down so that its chest could split open and allow its pilot to exit. In through the back, out through the front, that was how they did it. Ethan Stone stood in the parking lot, his flight-suit tight around his body, a form-fitting helmet obscuring his features. The AMP closed shut behind him, bowed in obedient supplication, before it stood to await further commands. "God," Ethan muttered. "I love that machine." He smiled at the AMP and then turned smartly on his heel to approach the car containing agents Warne and Becker.

In the car, Warne glanced to Becker and rolled his eyes.  "He's a flashy one," the agent said. 

He lit a cigarette immediately upon exit, hoping to get his fix before going into the building.  Warne wanted a moment to judge the reaction from Neutron's staff anyway; he expected to have to answer a few questions soon, in light of his partner's entrance. 

"The city's going to have to write up new parking codes, just for you, " he told Ethan.  "I'm amazed you don't bust the concrete with every landing."

Stone laughed, his head arching back to accommodate his guffaws. "Ah, we worked that out in the beta-phase," he said. "I mean, it took a few million dollars, but we got it fixed." He frowned, remembering the machine's performance with the Green Dragon. "I just wish we'd caught more bugs back then, instead of finding them now." There was a huff of breath as he sobered and shrugged. "Ah, well. So long nobody gets hurt that doesn't deserve it, it'll all balance out."

Edited by Sophistemon

GM

The agents didn’t have to wait long for a response. When the AMP landed, the few bystanders’ first response was to back off, be it a few careful steps, or to simply run. Living in FC gave you certain reflexes, and those generally flared up whenever something dropped from the sky all the sudden.

Most waited in some distance, and as the AMP opened and Agent Stone emerged, slowly moved closer. At least one of them had already gotten out their phone, and started to take pictures. As nobody really knew what came next, they all waited, anxiously, for the next move.

Which, in this case, was two security men, both rather well trained, with buzzcuts, storming through the office’s front doors, pistol in hand. Their gear showed that they were private security, one of the few firms that operated in FC. Seeing the AMP open seemed to confuse them slightly, and having Stone walk away all casually only seemed to make them a bit more anxious, as one of them yelled out.

“Show your hands and get on the ground! Now!”

Stone complied, lifting his hands with a careless nonchalance. He was smiling, but the guards wouldn't be able to see it through the blank mask of his helmet. His syncsuit, fit tight to his body, had many zippered pockets but no obvious weaponry. He was the very picture of unarmed compliance. "Easy there, fellas," he said. "Easy. We're the good guys." Hands still up, he arced a thumb at Agent Warne. "Adept, flash a badge, won't you? We're not all bulletproof."

Edited by Sophistemon

The air around Warne took on a shimmer of heat.  Behind his force field, the agent managed to make a face of both displeasure and a horrible kind of excitement.  Slowly, he used one hand to pull back the left side of his black jacket, so that the security guards could watch the other fingers as they reached into an inner pocket.  Out came Adept's leather-encased badge.  He flipped it open and held it up. 

"Better put those guns away, boys.  I've got a whole list of people to arrest today, and you're both very close to making the cut."

GM

Once they saw the badge, the guards lowered their guns immediately. They both looked embarrassed, and after quickly exchanging a few glances, one of them began to speak.

“My apologies, sir. We were just following protocol. Security has been a big concern recently. I imagine you have your various warrants and whatever else you feds have, right?”

Meanwhile, the other guard spoke into a radio he was carrying on him, most likely notifying those inside of the agents’ arrival. He backed off a bit, probably also to make it more difficult to hear him.

The various bystanders still were a bit anxious, but many resumed with whatever they had been doing before the AMP’s sudden arrival. Some still took pictures, but especially once Adept showed his badge, they became a lot more subtle about it.

Inside, the agents could see a small crowd gathering at the windows, all of them following the happenings outside their office, all observing the situation with curiosity.

Recent security concerns?  Hmm.  Is it just the Bonfire issue that started all of this, or has another complication arisen?

Well, they'd know soon enough.  Adept strode forward with his badge still in hand, soon to be joined by their warrant.  "We have documents, yes," he agreed.  "...Why don't we let your boss have a look at them?  This seems like a job for the head of security.  I'm sure Mr. Green will be delighted to take over this matter for you, if you'll point us in his direction."

Ethan lowered his arms, slowly, and nodded his head. "That's smart thinking there, partner. Why don't we pay Green a visit? A chat would do me good, after having guns pointed in my direction." He turned his head to look at the guards. "But seriously, you two are on point with the whole 'scary security' thing. That was intimidating. How often do you practice? Is there a guidebook I could borrow? I'm a little too friendly, sometimes, and people get the impression I can't kick their ass."

GM

The two guards looked rather uncomfortable after what had just went down. They were gruff and all, but seeing the look on their faces now was quite a pleasure. As the various onlookers, both inside the building and outside, went back to doing what they had been doing before, one of the guards replied.

“Mr. Green is in his office; he will be waiting for you. Just tell the reception and one of them will show you up. “

Meanwhile, the other one addressed Stone. With perhaps, just a bit of anger on his face, what for having been made the company’s laughing stock, just for doing his job.

“Basic training. Ask the Reagan Security hotline if you really want to know. They probably printed up a manual at some point.“

Shortly afterwards…

The trip through Neutron’s building was rather unspectacular. The office area was mainly narrow hallways; like the ones one saw in most of these places. Of course, the two agents got a few strange looks, but people went on with their day, they had work to do after all.

Green’s office was at the end of one of said hallways, where it got ever so much wider, in order to account for a secretary’s desk. She looked up at the two arriving agents, and simply hit a button. “Ah, yes, Mr. Green has been waiting. “

And then, they entered into a fairly spacious office. A large desk towards the end, various security feeds on screens around the room, and both a bookcase and a locker standing at the walls. Green wasn’t a particularly interesting looking man, truth be told. He sat at his desk, looking at his PC screen, before turning over to the side, and pointing to two chairs set up close to the desk.

“Gentlemen. What gives me the pleasure?”

Edited by olopi

Warne cast a practiced look around the room, taking note of its details, before sitting down.  This gave him time to formulate a plan; much as he wanted to roar in, demand answers, and then give out handcuffs to whoever even vaguely deserved them, he considered that subtlety might be a wiser approach. 

"I would not call this pleasure, Mister Green," he said solemnly.  "Much the opposite.  I must admit, we are not pleased.  Why, I must ask, did you not contact AEGIS sooner about Neutron's recent troubles?  I understand that private corporations may prefer to handle their business in the same way, privately, but you should know better.  Have you kept us uninformed because of pressure from your superiors?  I can only suspect as much; the trust fund babies upstairs, sitting in the board room with their heads in the clouds, can't understand the gravity of this situation, but surely you do."

He removed his sunglasses--a very rare move--to make direct eye contact and leaned forward seriously.  "So, speaking as one man of action to another, let me be plain: why have you not involved AEGIS in this Bonfire fiasco?  A brash hero shuts down power to half of the east coast, and you...what?  Thought we would not care?  We do, Mister Green.  We very much care.  So forget whatever restraints your CEO has imposed and talk to us."

Ethan winked at the security guards, though of course they couldn't see it through the opaque visor of his helmet, and strode off to follow Warne into the building. He took in the details that he could, though he didn't have the eye for it that Warne did. Stone wasn't as much of a subtle man, as the AMP could attest. He preferred direct and physical confrontations. Hidden things, and hiding things, displeased him. They made him uneasy and nervous. He stood, silently refusing the seat offered to him by Green, and listened at Warne made his speech. He didn't speak, didn't nod in agreement. He simply folded his arms across his chest and waited. Stone was not a small man, a lifetime of exercise had made him relatively bulky, and in his syncsuit and tight faceless helmet he was moderately imposing. He hoped to use that to his advantage. Leave the browbeating to Warne, and don't let on that the other agent was far more powerful in this circumstance than he was.

Edited by Sophistemon
  • 2 weeks later...

GM

The head of security didn’t seem entirely pleased either, his expression shifting a few times throughout Warne’s speech, casting a few glances as Ethan all the while, with mistrust. Once the agent had finished, Green took a few seconds to consider his words, then began to speak.

“We believed that your Department was already involved and did not want to interfere with that. We were, and still are, willing to share any information you may require, we assumed you would come to speak to us whenever it came up. As it did now.  It is good to see you care, so what can I help you with? I believe we have already made most of our information public, but there is always something more to find. “

“If we have it, I can offer it. Including detailed reports of Bonfire and his weaknesses, even if some of them are a work in progress.”

By now, he was quite pleased. He was leaning back in his chair, casually, waiting for a response, one hand resting on his keyboard, the other moving towards a glass filled with some sort of drink.

Maybe this'll work, Warne thought to himself with satisfaction.  He moved ahead lightly, hoping to continue drawing Green out.  So far, the security chief hadn't given them anything incriminating, but they might be on the path to an easy conviction. 

"Please do.  If we coordinate our efforts, I'm confident that we can bring this matter to a satisfactory conclusion."  Well, for some of us, at least.

"What efforts have you taken already, if your reports are 'in progress'?  Bring us up to speed; once we're all on the same page, we can decide how to proceed from here." 

The details might vary, but Warne suspected they would involve handcuffs. 

Handcuffs and a beating, thought Ethan. Probably not in that order. There was something about Green he didn't like, some serpentine smugness to the man that dug under his skin and laid eggs of cynical irritation along the contours of his brain. He seemed to evoke every image of the corporate sociopath that Ethan's mind could draw up and show him. The AEGIS agent remained silent, but inclined his head in the man's direction in an unspoken encouragement to continue. He wanted Green to keep talking, to keep digging that hole until it was too deep to climb out of. Then, and only then, would they have him.

GM

Green looked quite pleased. He hit a few buttons on his keyboard, and immediately a printer in the corner of the room went to work. All the while, he continued to entertain the two agents.

“As I’ve mentioned, we’ve launched a full investigation into his weaknesses, using what data we have available both from our own encounters with him, and with some mistrust regarding their validity, his own reports. As well as a variety of reports and studies that have been conducted of subjects with similar powers. Be believe we may have found a way to permanently neutralize him and use his powers for something good at the same time, but it will require a lot more testing before we can confirm it. I am printing you what we know right now. “

With that, Green stood up and walked over to the printer, grabbing a few sheets of paper. Judging by the size, it was at best, a small summary, but either way he walked up to Agent Warne and handed it to him.

“We’ve also been making some inquiries into who Bonfire really is, but we don’t have as much to go on there. “

"Please do pass along whatever you have.  We will compare it with our own records."  Warne seemed to already start doing just that; he took his phone and began photographing the pages.

When he messaged them to Becker, his text concluded with the simple question: Enough for arrest?

Warne doubted it.  He really needed Green to admit that he was behind the Gas Man; even if he wouldn't outright say that he forged a federal warrant--Warne wasn't that good--then just proof that Neutron hired him, plus the bounty hunter's own testimony, might be enough. 

"You said 'encounters,' plural.  Has Bonfire fought with your people since the original confrontation at your nuclear plant?  The more we know, the better legal case we can build."

Warne's favorite lies were the ones that were technically true.

When Ethan spoke, the voice that emerged from the helmet he wore was artificially enhanced. While in no way as loud as that which issued from the AMP when he was Upgrade, it was nevertheless much more bold than his own, unaltered, speech. "Is Bonfire targeting Neutron?" he asked. "If so, why? What reason does he have to single your company out, to come after you again and again? Has he issued any demands, any changes in policy, that might explain his grudge?"

GM

The response came in before Green even had a chance to reply. Doubtful. Not very nice, but only questionably illegal. Becker left it at that, not following up with further messages for now, probably taking a closer look at the sheets.

In the meantime, Green sat back down, his chair fitting perfectly. Probably custom made. He listened, hit a few buttons on his keyboard, then continued.  “He has not been directly involved with Neutron Employees ever since the days after the event. At least, not that we are aware of. And that’s the dangerous part. We know he can infiltrate an area without our cameras catching it. We’ve been upgrading security, but as you may imagine, it’s not cheap. “

“He’s planning something. All it’ll take is one slight screw-up, and we’ll have something way worse than the last event on our hands. He is admitting he did it, and judging by his character, he’d do it again. As for us, no idea. There’s a lot of companies here in Freedom, we don’t stand out by any means. “

A statement which wasn’t entirely true, that much was clear. Bonfire had been working together with a certain Fallout. An extremist who, during an assault on one of Neutron’s other facilities shortly after the first blackout, had nearly been killed. She’d been a researcher at Neutron, before, according to her, gaining her powers (and a brand of unique, uncureable cancer) from her work. According to Bonfire’s statements, both in an interrogation and publically, taken shortly after the event, she had recruited him specifically to target the company, in an act of vengeance.

Warne began to grow a little irritated.  He hoped for faster progress; apparently Green wasn't a complete fool.  Still, they seemed to be slowly moving toward a solid conviction, if they could just prod the security chief to say the right (or wrong) things.

Careful to keep judgment out of his tone, Adept agreed, "Yes, vigilantes like him certainly are motivated.  In this instance, we think Bonfire may not even be alone.  We have some reports that he has worked with another problem-hero, who may also have a grudge against Neutron.  'Fallout,' I believe is the name.  Between the two of them, they could cause untold damage to this corporation, so the sooner we resolve this issue, the better.  I'm afraid you may need more than just some new cameras."

"Hard to catch smoke," Ethan agreed. "And that's when it doesn't have a mind of its own." He leaned forward and laced his gloved fingers together, between his knees. "You mentioned enhanced security? What are you installing that could catch and contain a meta like Bonfire? It'd have to be some pretty sophisticated equipment."

GM

Green looked a bit uneasy at the mention of Fallout. If he didn’t know more than he let on regarding her, then the Agents’ training and experience clearly didn’t apply to all of these kinds of situations. He was glad to immediately jump to, and answer, Stone’s question, speaking the first few syllables faster than usual.

“Ah yes. During the incident, we used a version of our company’s registered mining robots. They proved to be somewhat efficient, even if their output of heat ended up being a major flaw. Still, they’d managed to affect him. So we have taken measures to take the robot’s laser drills, and mount them on something more resistant to heat. Together with some autonomy programs, and the right sensors, they should be able to be deployed in such a way any further attacks would immediately be dealt with. “

“We have also looked into acquiring new equipment for our security forces, made specifically to counter him, but have not gotten far with that yet. “ Some more unease, perhaps he once more wasn’t letting on to everything.

...Hrm.  You are more slippery than I expected, Green.  Then again, nothing about this mission has been simple so far, so why would you?

Do I pursue the Fallout angle?  He wholly ignored my comment, but that wasn't a direct question, either.  Asking one could likely put him on his guard.  Best to try a new direction. 

"All very impressive, Mr. Green," Warne said.  He adjusted his tone to sound a little disappointed, yet still not judgmental.  "Solid defenses are always wise.  Unfortunately for Neutron, I fear that scrambling to prepare for outside threats can only accomplish so much.  Bonfire is mobile and evasive; if he has a grudge against your corporation, then he seems fully capable of near-indefinite hit-and-run tactics.  No, the solution to such a problem must be active.  Hence why AEGIS chases down criminals instead of waiting for them to come to us."

Just like you asked the Gas Man to do.  Admit your role, Green.  Try to impress us by saying that you haven't been passive after all.