News Thread: Kanunu

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.
 Jovial Hawaiian powerhouse and hydrokinetic mutant balancing work, college, and super heroics in Freedom City. 

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?
My not so secret alter ego is Kanunu, back home 'Dat moke Kimo', Briefly Kanaloa but that didn't go well.

What is your full birth name?
 Kimo Keli'i  

Where do you live?
Currently southside Freedom City

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)? 
20 born in '96

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.
Male

How would you describe your heritage?
Hawaiian

How tall are you?
6' 4"

What is your body type?
Muscular

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?
not so much

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence? 
I'm pretty light on my feet for a big guy but generally move with a steady careful gait.  No reason to hurry most times.

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color. 
Bronzed skin tone darkened by long hours in the sun, deep brown eyes and jet black hair 

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?
Long hanging just below shoulder length in loose curls though clean shaven but for a bit of stubble

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?
I'm all right I guess?  Been known to turn a few heads at the beach.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?
Nah that is one dumb kid thing I managed to avoid.

Do you resemble anyone famous?
Not so much no.

Do you have a dominant hand?
Right

What kind of clothing do you wear?
board shorts, Sandals, loose shirt.  Keep it casual.

Do you wear makeup?
Not so much no.

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?
Pretty deep decent singing but nothing like my uncle Keone.

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people? 
People say I talk too slow and run late all the time but I just tell them I'm still on island time.

History

Where do you come from?
Hilo Hawaii

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?
Moved to Freedom City New Jersey for college, not sure if I'll stay lots of other heroes around but I miss the family.

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?
Kinda I guess.  I mean it's better than lots of places but not exactly a friend to the people of Hawaii.

How do you feel about the place you come from? 
Hilo is beautiful, the beaches and ocean is so clear and the waves are some of the best anywhere.

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?
Hilo's the big city on the Big Island, it's like most big cities even in Hawaii there are still the usual urban issues.  But it's home and the food is amazing and the beaches and the girls and yea it's pretty much the best meth shacks and all.

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you? 
Both?  I mean my neighborhood was pretty much all natives even the white boys been on the island three, four generations back  so they all like me but we not treated the best by the powers that be all the time ya know?

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life? 
Always been a strong swimmer, now it kinda more so sure.  Well like back when I was little not much but now, well now is a different kinda good at.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?
No nothing big like that.  I mean I got a big close family some of them real old so some pass but none before their time and none I was close with.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.
I swim and play in the ocean long as I remember, but I remember first time I caught a real wave, board under my feet just carrying the power of the wave right up into me as I head into the curl, I wiped out and grandma thought I was gonna drown but I was hooked.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?
Oh man, lots.  I used to get in fights with rich kids, and Haoles.  Worst though was the dumb stunt when I thought busting up an apartment block to get at some meth heads was a good plan.  People get hurt more from me stoppin it than them dealing.

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?
School is more an means to a end yea?  I'm in college now, got marks good enough to get and keep financial aid, at least so far.  Freedom might get distracting though...

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?
Not really.  I mean memories are important but stories and history shared is where it's at not things.

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?
Well I first thought I'd be a hero when I figured out my powers, it didn't go too well.  Kinda reinvented myself with more than a little input from my Grandma,  She busted my chops pretty hard about usurping Kanaloas name to be a dingus.  Now it's more subdued I got lots to learn.

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?
Oh I had this great speech about power and responsibility and and stuff all set with a great story about a dead uncle and stuff but me aunties they say it sounded hokey and they're probably right, truth is good enough.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?
Not so deep dark nor secret.  The Family came together to help out the people that lost things in the fire and flood when I went after those dealers  but they all know all about that.

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?
No way.  I am me all the way.

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets? 
Yea don't got em and that whole question is a real good reason not to.

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?
Not that anyone cares about.  Everybody jumped the barricades when the tides get high.

Family

What are your biological parents' names? 
Dad always just go by Junior, Mom is called Moana, Gran says I get my gifts from her side but pretty sure its just a genetic fluke.

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.
Well mostly, I mean Mom and Dad were around but both worked Gran and me Aunties they mostly took care of the little ones nad when we old enough we take care of ourselves, mostly.

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?
Mom worked one of the hotels concierge desk, Dad worked in the factory canning nuts.

Where are your parents now?
Still Working still singing like hte family does.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?
Hilo is home for long time we not going away.

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).
they were hard workers and did good by us kids, we coulda done better by them but most kids can say that.

How do your parents view you now, or how would they? 
They're proud I got into college and didn't just slump into being a beach bum and part time surf instructor like my cousin keanu

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.
Middle kid of five, Hiapo, Malie, me, Makaha, and Noelani.  Malie used to help me with homework and is doing grad school at UoH Probably closest to her, Hiapo just think I'm lazy and we argue when we get together, big brother stuff yea?  Makaha, and Noelani still in high school I miss em they're good kids but we're not super close.

What was your birth order in the family?
uhm Haipo is the oldest then Malie, Me, Makaha, An lil Noelani.

Where are your siblings now (if applicable)? Do they have families of their own? What do they do?
They all still in Hilo, Hiapo got a fiance, his bosses daughter, Malie says she doesn't have time for boys.  Makaha an Noelani best nto get families or there gonna be words.

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?
Still go back for holidays.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?
Me an Hiapo always but heads but we love eachother it's family thing you know.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?
Oh my gran Laka, she schooled me good about hte old ways after I try to claim Kanaloa as a name for my clowing super hero work back in Hilo.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.
Not really, we worry about Makaha he got a real bad temper, Gran says he has a touch of the pele in him like her sister leilani that drowned bay long time ago.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.
We're simple people not royalty or nothing but we work hard and everyone in Hilo know anything skow we good people.

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.
Noooooooo.  I still trying to have a good time that all for later, much later.

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?
Not like I get a choice really, me aunties will find me some girl and get it all set before I even know if I'm not careful.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?
Pretty, Athletic, fun.  Gotta love the beach and sun.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.
Most of my old crew from Hilo is off doing this an that, int he service or working or in school like me so we grown apart.

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?
Not really, not around here at least.

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?
The whole family yea?

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?
I said I was dating this girl in eight grade then she was dating another kid an I almost got expelled for crakin him one.

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.
Hey no way everyone loves Kimo man.

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?
Well eventually I'll probably bust up someones heist and they'll decide they're my nemesis or something that what happens in the movies at least.  But so far not so much.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?
Gran told everyone what an idiot I was, also got them to chip in to help me clean up the mess so best and worst maybe?

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?
The family, the islands, then just people I guess gotta help out where you can.

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?
My family all the way

Who or what do you despise? Why?
I don't despise anyone, I mean I gues the total psychos out there that hurt folks for fun but mostly even the bad filks got a reason.

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?
Wisdom and thoughtfulness.  I try but lets face it I'm twenty hardly a keeper of grandiose wisdom.

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?
Greed.  Just bettering yourself at others expense is just wrong.

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why? 
Kinda?  I go by Kanunu when in costume such as it is but I don't do the whole mask thing and the apartment incident is pretty well known from back in the day.

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?
I can work on a team if I need to.  More a follower but if no one else is doing it someones gotta and I can at least manage loud if I need.

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?
No not right now

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?
Not anything official like but the FC surf scene is pretty tight knit.

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?
Gran would want me to say the old ones, like Maui and Kamehameha, and it'd be easy to say the Freedom League and all that but there are lots of heroes really in different ways.  From My dad working a crappy job to put food on the table to Keanu living his own dream and of course the big guys too.  Just all in different ways.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?
Not really no.  I mean at the root hey are all people no matter what people might expect.

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?
I dunno sometimes I worry I like the idea of it more than doing it.  One wrong step and you can erase all the good you did ya know?

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?
Probably not.  I mean mistakes and problems are there to learn from and overcome.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?
be passing all my classes Man I wish I got powers to let me not sleep.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?
Man I've only been alive twenty years how I'm supposed to know what I be doing in twenty more?

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?
The usual stuff, losing the family, messing up and getting people hurt.  But all you can do is make sure you don't.

Is there anything you would give you life for? 
Uhm not if I can help it?

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?
Mo Money Mo problems you get enought o eat and keep a roof maybe have a good time with the fam and you all good.

How do you generally treat others?
I try to be kind and help out.

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?
Hey Hilo a pretty place but it's still a city.  Trust only gets you so far.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?
I like people so I guess extroverted, I'm comfortable with who I am.

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex? 
Uh, usually hit on them see what comes up you know.

What are your most annoying habits?
I talk kinda slow and run late alot.

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?
Dealers man.  They just like live off of selling others suffering.  Junkies can't help needing junk but the guys wwho hook em int eh first place and first rank a-holes.

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?
Oh man, there this diner by my house in Hilo does a honey glaze breakfast spamburger it is the best thing ever.

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?
Don't really drink since the change.  Doesn't do much and without a buzz no why drink something that tastes like Ass.

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?
Sno Cone

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?
Poi, that's one slimy weird tradition that can be lost to time.

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?
I like neon, my lil sis says I was born in the wrong decade.

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?
I'm pretty opne minded in general but angry hard rock or alternative tends to be a bit much.

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?
Oh the beach right after a good rain, everything just smells cleaner

Do you have a favorite animal?
Uh no?  Is that a thing after first grade?

What is your most treasured possession? Why?
My gran gave me a Kukui nut Lei before i left.  She made it herself and insists it'll hold my Mana for me and keep me safe out here.  I dunno if I believe it but that kind a care gotta mean somethign right?

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?
Depends how rough?  I like hte outdoors and will camp out on the beach for a week if the waves are good, but not just for nothing.

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?
Can macadamia nuts.  My dad is a strong man to keep at it most boring thing ever.

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life?How important is it to you?
I didn't used to be but since Gran took me in to teach I been wondering if there isn't some truth to be had in the looking at least.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?
My Gran taught me all about the old ways there might be something there ya know.

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization? 
No nothing that formal

Could you kill? Have you killed?
I haven't but maybe if I had to?

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?
I haven't been tested in that way so I dunno.

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?
Sometime they don't give you a choice I guess though I'm basically bullet proof so harder sell there.

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours? 
I'd stop them if  could?

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?
Try an get it back?

How would you react to public humiliation?
People take themselves too seriously if it's in good fun you can get them back.  It it isn't then well why do it?

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?
I'd be mad, and sad.  I dunno I'd probably try and find the guys but cops're probably better at that?

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?
Uhm infanticide?  I mean like straight up crazy earl putting babies on spikes not just like some poor woman with postpartum psychosis.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?
Go see the fam, Surf, Eat a double meat double egg breakfast spamburger from salty's, Surf, say goodbye.

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?
No not so much pretty much just me.

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?
Me Gran taught m e how to think before I act that's a big deal for me.

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?
I can hold my breath for hella long.  Part of hte whole rest of the deal I guess.

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?
Student At least for now.

What is your preferred combat style?
Bare Knuckle brawling.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?
Won some surfign trophies in my day but not first place or nothin.

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?
I can beat up a thug just fine.  Catching sneakier types is rough and I probably need to eventually.

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?
Watch And Learn?

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?
Not big on routine.  Get up in time for class and get there, hopefully grab food.  After classes get work done then socialize or surf some if the tides are good.

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?
Surfing, anytime I can.  Been surfing almost as long as I could walk.

What do you do for fun?
See above?  Also parties.

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?
Kinda?  doesn't do much for the ID but I try and make it work.

How do you normally dress when not in costume?
usually wear a shirt and shoes or sandals 

What do you wear to bed most nights?
Nothin no one likes to b e constrained.

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?
My Grans Kukui necklace.

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?
Not really no.

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?
Public transit here is amazing.

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make? 
Nope maybe I should are you telling me something test?

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?
Uhm not many nigh indestructible samoans?

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?
Being kind.

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?
I can.  Need to be careful is all I guess.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?
Uhm my strength?

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?
Not the brightest tool in the shed

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

Keep doing what you're doing and don't let it get you down if you have a setback.

Edited by angrydurf