[IC] Strait Up Theft

olopi

At first acquiring the information was slow. Figuring out just how these keys applied to the various encryptions took some effort, many of them made little sense. Reading it backwards, then replacing every letter with the one ten letters further? Simple enough, compared to the nonsense some of them required. Either way, after the first step, the information was there. The first folder was full of purchase histories. Who had bought what, and how much of it? A few things stood out here.

The Acquisition of “7 tons of plastic”, “200 washing machines”, “800 barrels of oil” and “10 crates of porcelain” amongst other things, all bought by the market, sold by the same person. They stood out for many reasons. Most purchases were things fitting of a black market, illegal goods and substances. While these were not the only more mundane goods, the sheer amount of them stood out. One other thing that stood out to Flintlock was “Scale of Hydra”, which had been bought by the market only a few days prior, and was now in storage, according to these files.

The name of the seller itself was further encrypted. A second folder it was, perhaps things could be found there. Flintlock took her time, going through the names. She recognized some, companions and enemies from earlier adventures, but most of the names she did not know. However, luck was on her side. Only one Cik was listed, no others with the name. Cik Kunchai. According to the files, she had first appeared at the black market a few months ago.

Perhaps Cik and the sold goods were connected? Using what she had from both folders, the sorceress began to work through possible codes. Perhaps she could figure out a connection this way? After a good hour or so (and a bottle of rum which had been forgotten in the room), she’d stumbled across a result. The name selling all the goods, it actually had been two names. With the right code, the letters and numbers became “Kunchai/Osman”. A lead at last!

Edited by olopi
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flintlock was a pirate, not an accountant. Still, books and writing were part of any businesswoman's life. Her finger traced the lines, the ink, the scrawls. 

Scale of Hydra? That looked worrisome. 

Cik Kunchai was the jackpot. The vintage rum in the barrel of swill. She doubted the mysterious woman was the root cause of the mystery, but she was clearly connected. The middle man, or woman, in this case. Someone with whom one could have a conversation. 

She cracked her knuckles. 

Now, the trick would be finding Kunchai. Or Osman. Or both of them. Or both of them were one and the same. 

Hopefully, she could catch the Parkour expert this time. No trying to vault around Singapore. Flintlock was nimble enough but outclassed, clearly. This time, she would use sorcery!

Some time later…

The rest of the day had been rather uneventful. After getting out with all the necessary information, Flintlock had made her way back to the ship. According to the bartender Cik usually showed up at days like these, in the evening. Pete, Lucy and Rose already were at the pub, waiting there for the thief to show up. Flintlock would wait outside, behind the building and out of sight, and one of her Crew would come outside to notify Flintlock of Cik’s arrival. And from there on, what to do would be up to her. She could tell her Crew about her plans, perhaps they would chase her out? Perhaps they would leave and secure exits, while Flintlock went in, so Cik could not run away? Perhaps Flintlock had something entirely different in mind?

As the day continued, Flintlock made her way towards the pub. She did not know when exactly Cik would arrive, and being there before her would make it all easier. It would mean a lot of waiting, but it was most likely preferable. And also, there were other pubs in the area, so getting a drink was still possible. The sorceress was standing at the agreed upon spot now, waiting. And only a few meters away, an old-timey pub had a sign hanging from the wall, advertising a Happy Hour, starting … 5 minutes ago!

Edited by olopi

If Cik was there, and she saw Flintlock, it would be another chase, which would only lead to vexatious failure. 

No, this time, things would be different! She thumped her fist into her palm. 

"Pete, Rose, Lucy. Go in there, drink. When the young lady comes in, grab her!"

The Skeleton crew looked a little perplexed. Drinking was fine, grabbing women, a little more odd. 

"Aye Aye cap'n!" they muttered, a little unsure. 

Flintlock was sure that Cik would evade her crew. They were able enough, but not fast enough. 

Instead, she scouted the back of the Pub, looking for escape routes. The Crew would drive the rat out of another exit. And Flintlock would be waiting. The Kitchens were the obvious way out. She creaked open the back door, taking a peek inside...

It was a small kitchen. Enough to prepare basic meals, but not a whole lot else, a counter-top separating it from the pub’s main area, so food could easily be delivered. It had a shutter, currently closed, so there was no way to see into the rest of the pub. The kitchen itself was empty, the lights turned off. The door, a simple wooden door, was closed too, most likely not locked.

Inside the kitchen, the soceress found nothing out of the ordinary. Knives, spoons, forks. Plates and pans. As well as a fair amount of food, everything that didn’t have to be cooled stored away at the corner. Sounding through the wall, Flintlock could hear people walking through the door. A group clearly, but how many people?

And then, things got interesting. Some more people walking around, inside the pub this time. Flintlock knew these steps, the very distinct steps of her crew. It seemed that Cik ahd arrived, as planned. A bit of silence, then some shouting. First, Ginger Rose, then, two other voices Flintlock did not recognize. Just afterwards, the sounds of a bar-fight, Pete had now joined in if Flintlock’s ears didn’t lie. It was followed by the sound of glass shattering, which sounded over the scuffle still happening.  

Edited by olopi

Ah, the smells of Singapore! It reminded of her of Gutboy fighting over a spice rack in a sleazy opium den, why, not a few leagues from here. That had been a raucous and violent affair. Swords had been swung, and Guntboy had lost a thumb. It had grown back later, of course. Such was the way of the dead. 

It was not, perhaps, surprising that the Skeleton Crew had got into a fight. They were loyal and obedient enough, and besides which chained by sorcery best not spoken of. But they were rapscallions and rogues, the lot of them. In a drinking establishment that estimation of their personality could be doubled, at least. 

Flintlock was not overtly fond of shattering glass, for perhaps Cik was making her escape via another route. Curses! She would not get away a second time. 

In she burst, to the main pub, to see what was happening...

Thin Lucy was standing at the exit, guarding it, like it had been agreed upon. Part of her wanted to join in with the scuffle happening in front of her, but making sure nobody could easily escape was more important in this case.

The bar fight was one between Ginger Rose and One Eyed Pete on one side, and the woman Flintlock now knew was Cik, as well as two of her friends, on the other. Rose and Cik had been exchanging blows, while Pete had been fighting with a man and a woman, both looking about as old as Cik. The man was holding what appeared to be the remains of a broken bottle in his hand, various shards of glass scattered around Pete’s feet. Not that Pete looked any worse off than before, he had simply shrugged it off. They too were exchanging blows, but Pete was fighting quite defensively, doing his best to avoid attacks coming towards him while always keeping an eye out for Cik.

A bartender was cowering behind the bar. The old man clearly hadn’t signed up for this, and was just waiting for it to be over, hoping for little property damage. Wen Flintlock burst through the door, everything was silent for a second, all eyes drawn towards her. Everybody was waiting to see what the newcomer would do, nobody willing to continue with the fight just yet. Cik’s eyes were wandering around the room, but all the exits were currently covered, so she too just stood there, waiting.

Edited by olopi

"You!"

Her voice travelled, velvet and rumbling, through the fight. Cutting the air and the ambience. 

By every fetid witch, this was no time for holding back. Horrible though such magicks were, horrible as they peeled away at her brain, more horrible yet was the elusive Cik escaping once more. 

Sometimes, the consequences must be tossed overboard, even if they fed the storm. 

Raising her arms, horrible spectral tentacles rose from the floorboards, wicked and ghostly, and far too many. They curled and swam through the ether, in ways most unnerving, even to Flintlock who had seen them before (and more solid, mores the pity). 

Around and around they curled, in the blink of an eye, to hold Cik fast...

The tentacles were a sight nobody had expected, not even the Black Flag’s crew, who had probably seen them a few times before. Everybody was taken by surprise, some manged to take a step back. The bartender, still cowering behind his bar, simply hit the floor, having fainted.  Cik’s friends looked around, their eyes darting across the room, their faces showing anger, but primarily fear and concern.

The young man, now outside of Pete’s striking distance muttered, quietly but still audible. It was a wild mix of emotions, but it was clear he didn’t approve of this.

“...What is going on…..”

Meanwhile Cik was struggling, trying to move her limbs. The tentacles proved to be stronger, not really being fazed by Cik’s sudden movements. She was using every bit of force in her body, struggling, trying to get away from the tentacles still holding her in place, and slowly affecting the mind of everybody around them.

“Ah! Why! What do you … want? “

Edited by olopi

Ignoring the crowds, wrapping herself in a most resplendent cloak of confidence, brave Captain Flintlock marched to the struggling thief. 

"Why? Well, you may recall, ye little rapscallion, ye stole something from me. Snatched it right off me, ye did! More than a few doubloons, too" she declared. 

Addressing the crowd with a sweep of her arm and modest courtesy, she announced that Cik was a cutpurse, a rouge, a pickpocket, a thief, a scoundrel, and a few less savoury and polite terms that should not be repeated to gentlefolk. 

With a theatrical spin of body and skirt, she turned back to her captive. 

"Now then, I don't mind the loss of a coin or two, to be fair. But I would say you owe me a favour or two...what where you doing, and why were you doing it?"

The various crowds looked on, curious but also doing their best to stay out of the way of the rambling woman. The crowds, in this case primarily being Cik’s friends, the crew of the Black Flag, and a handful of patrons at the pub. Most the patrons had already taken safe distance once the brawl had begun, and contined backing off as well as they could.

As Cik was still struggling with the tentacles, trying to free herself but failing, she looked at Flintlock, not quite reaching up to her throat. Mustering her, while also starting to speak. In her eyes, fury. Her words carrying force behind them.

“I was going out with my friends, like usual. Have a good time, enjoy some drinks, nothing special. … Hrk… And then somebody tries grabbing me. And now I’m dealing with a scene out of some bad movie. Not sure what genre just yet. “

Edited by olopi

"It could get rum worse" replied Flintlock, hand on hip, finger directed, spear-fashion towards Cik. 

She relaxed her mental grip on the tentacles a little, which constricted...

The dread Gog-Sothoth writhed in its dimension of madness, whistling and popping its bubbling form. Flintlock did not want to see the day the beast with a thousand mouths entered this world. 'Twas enough just some of its tendrils reaching forth like a spectre. 

Rum worse, it could get indeed. 

"Loosen ye lips, loosen ye tongue, ye scallywag! Ill send ye home with a kick up the arse and a doubloon or two for ye troubles. Don't say I am not generous. I could flay your hair from yer scalp, but I'm not here to scrape the blood from the walls. I'm hear to hear you spill your secrets!" she said, imposing her will. 

"Why did you steal from me, and what were you doing in the market? Yes, you know the market I mean. What did you see?"

Cik continued fighting against the tentacles, now managing to get a bit more done in her struggling. She was still caught, but could not at least move her body a tiny bit, no longer completely forced into one position. By now her expression had gotten a bit curious. Angry still, but some amount of curiosity, and maybe just surprise at Flintlock’s way of speech. Upon the sorceress’s question, she pondered for a second, before suddenly realizing something.

“Ah. You’re … that one. “

“It’s pretty simple, isn’t it? I need money. Lots of it.  Which answers both of your questions. “

A bit of a snarl, and a degree of arrogance. She had stated all answers, she didn’t need to say anything else, right?

Her friends, in the meantime, were looking on. They were a bit hesitant, looking like they might want to involve themselves, but also exchanging glances with the Crew, and just staying ready for the brawl to flare back up for now.

Edited by olopi

Flintlock spared a glance for the onlookers. 

"I like a pugulistic party as much as the next gal', ladies, and gent. But today is not the day. One more step and Ill send a tentacle up your..."

The tentacles must surely have had a most fortunate effect on the jukebox, for it chose to malfunction at precisely this moment and blare out, at full volume, a Queen Song. 

"Be-elezBUB!"

The entwined voices blocked out Flintlocks most awful description. 

"...with a melon and a bottle of gin!" she finished, full of cocked eyebrow. 

Returning to Cik, she continued. "Why did you need the money, and why go to a black market to try and steal it? Not that I object...errr....too much..." she added, meaningfully, mindful she had an image to cultivate in this new world of multimedia. "But surely, not the best target? What was going on there? why the shooting?"

Everybody in the bar just took another few steps away from Flintlock, just to be sure. Which meant most patrons were now cozying up to the walls, but even that was more comfortable than … tentacles. They looked, but also did their best not to listen. It didn’t seem like they wanted to know this information, for the sake of not “knowing too much” and “being dealt with appropriately”. Cik, in the meantime, continued her attitude, while also still moving her arms to try and break free, still as unsuccessful as before.

“Steal? Excuse me, I was involved in legitimate sales. “

“Well, and some stealing. They only take cash down there, and they all carry around a fair bit of cash.  And good luck complaining about missing cash. You either end up banned, ridiculed, or … yeah, not nice. “

“Wish I had an idea about the shooting. From what I hear it’s Yaks. Might be somebody else, can’t ever tell with those freaks. And the less I’m involved in their biz, the better. “

Cik did her best to talk around her reason for actually stealing, not even mentioning it a single time. Even in her arrogance, as well as her peculiar situation, she acted like an experienced talker. She clearly had experience when it came to talking, even in situations like these.

Well, maybe not “Tentacles from another dimension”, but “Danger”.

Edited by olopi

'Twas a fair point; much money would flow at a Black Market, where elsewhere 'twould be of the newfangled electronic type.

Bah! Give me the smell and bite of a gold coin any day!

"The Yaks? What are they, some kind of mafia? yakuza?" she asked, peering her face close to the struggling thief. 

"And spare me your lies and deception, madam! I can hear them whistling through your teeth!" she declared. Such was three centuries worth of listening to such lies and deception. 

"And why, tell me, are they freaks? do they have horns? two heads? a taste for octopus suckers?" she asked, insistently. 

"And more to the point, where can I find these freaks? If you can lead me to them, I might even forget to collect their money once I tear their castle to the ground..."

By now, Cik just looked confused. All anger had just vanished in the strangle mumblings on the strange sorceress. The curiosity was still there, buried beneath a whole lot of confusion. The same went for the few people in the building listening into the conversation. Confusion. Just who was this strange woman? What was her deal? Any why, oh why, did she have to show up in this bar at this time, where they too had been here?

“Yakuza, yeah. Do you have any idea of their culture? Applies to all the organized crime out there. Freaks, best way to describe ‘em. All with their own strange things, all weird at best. They’re spread out all across the island. If you want to take ‘em down good luck, will take some work. Chances are if there’s a popular place, some organization’s involved. “

“Alternatively, whenever the next Market’s determined, go bust some heads there, and then go after whoever didn’t attend. If you don’t mind painting a giant target on yourself, that is. “

Edited by olopi

Taking down a criminal organisation was not on the menu; for one thing, it would be virtually impossible, even for a sorcerer like Flintlock. Put a dent in them, maybe. Inflict a grave wound, perhaps. But criminal organisations were mercurial. And even with dedicated soldiers and courts, it would be a herculean task, she did reckon. 

"The Market you say? Aye, that sounds a finely business. But I don't know me way around Singapore, much less the market!" she conceded, finger tapping chin. 

"So tell me, me rapscallion friend. Would you like to take me there, and show me round. Maybe I might make ways for you to steal some gold. No harm coming from stealing from a thief, methinks!" she said. 

"Ye can see what I can do, so your pockets should be full. Alternatively, I can let the beast of a thousand eyes loose on you, and I can tell you, the tentacles are the least of your worries then..."

“Not sure if there will be any soon. That attack scared some, made others angry, and others just lost all their goods. And police presence is higher than usual too. I assume most vendors won’t be willing to show their heads anytime soon. “

“Now, that applies to vendors that are bound to their supply. Or vendors with loyalties. I just sell to whoever offers most. I know somebody in most of the freaks’ organizations. I highly doubt anybody’s interesting in anything I’ve got in stock right now though. No use in a war, unless there’s a lack of cover for the eventual firefights. Or people need to burn evidence. “

“I can lead you to a few places they’re at. I have my ties, can discuss things. But they’re gonna be suspicious, and doing anything around a suspicious yakuza, vory, mafia, triad or others of their kind never ends well. And you bet they’ll be keeping an eye on everything they own. “

Cik had been speaking a whole lot, having relaxed a bit now that it was clear Flintlock wasn’t just gonna dispose of her all the sudden, so she hadn’t really struggled against the tentacles any further, instead just talking and mustering the sorceress, as well as the others standing in the room, both the crew, but also her friends.

Edited by olopi

The gang of freaks must be thieves. And 'twas thieves she was after. Surely they were the culprits of the missing cargo? One could never count on anything, for life twisted and turned, but it was the road to traverse, most rightly. 

The questions of how they stole it, and why, were more burning and vexatious. And, at the end of the day, what exactly did they steal?

"I have crossed swords with worse. The three armed strangler of Boston, the Weeping Giantess of storms, the mad half breed of Azathoth!" she said, proudly. And with a little shudder at the awful face of the last villain. 

"I'm sure we can handle a bunch of crooks" she said, insidious manipulation creeping in. 

"And I fancy you have some history, and black history, with them. So what do you say? Take me to them, I'll let you pick up the pieces like a vulture. Ill even throw in a whistle, if ye fancy!"

Cik’s expression went back towards a raised eyebrow, being surprised, yet also amazed by Flintlock’s statements. Just what was going on right now, was there a hidden camera somewhere? Her eyes actually scanned the room, trying to look for anything of the sort, but not finding anything.

“Oh, I have no history with them. They buy my stuff, they pay. That’s as far as that goes. Not the best clients, but they don’t care about the goods’ origins. “

“I can lead you there, you can do whatever you want to, be it talking or fighting. But that’s as far as I’m getting involved. They’re customers. I bring stuff, they buy it, that’s everything. ”

The volume in her voice suddenly dropped, speaking a lot more quiet than before, almost whispering.

“You do realize we’re doing this inside a bar, right? Might want to talk somewhere else, between 4 eyes. I can tell you more, but I’m not gonna talk about it in here.  

Edited by olopi

Flintlock was not one to shy from publicity. She was dressed like an antiquated pirate, after all. Still, she should have realised that talking skullduggery was not to be done in public. 

With a puff of tepid mist, with a puff of horrible rotting aroma, the tentacles evaporated. 

"Plenty more where that came from" she said, sternly, hands on hip. 

"I'm a fool for trusting you, aren't I?" she asked the thief. "But it's what Ill do anyway. I hope you don't make me look a fool. It will be gaping, gumming maws next time, full of disease, pustules, and slime". 

She cracked her knuckles. 

"Come take a stroll then, to the park. Trees don't have ears. And you can tell me everything you know, and, if you fancy my help, exactly how much debt you are, and to whom..."

When the tentacles released, Cik fell down on one knee, getting abck up into a sntading position in one swift motion. She listened to Flintlock speaking, while scanning everyone currently doing their best to avoid the center of the room. Her eyes narrowed on one person, but she didn’t do anything beyond that. Instead, she looked over to her friends, still in an uneasy standoff with the Black Flag’s crew.

“You heard her. Let’s leave.”

As everyone made their way towards the entrance, normalcy returned to the room. The bartender still was unconscious behind the counter, but other than that the only thing still telling of previous happenings were a few glass shards scattered on the floor.

As the group arrived at the park a short walk later, Cik addressed Flintlock again, this time her voice sounded different, more genuine.

“I can get you to a bunch of places. Usually a good amount of people there. I won’t go in, got a reputation to protect. But if there’s any money, I’ll take it. “

“Now, just one question. Why are you doing this?”

Edited by olopi

Theft was part of Flintlocks history. She wouldn't condone it, but frankly, she had bigger fish to fry that petty thievery. So be it. 

Honesty was not on her usual menu, but it could serve its purpose at times. 

"Because some cargo went missing in Singapore. In the blink of an eye. Normally, I don't much mind a bit of piracy..."

The atmosphere still for a moment, as if a lens was focusing on her costume. 

"...but when it vanishes like that, something is up. Someone is either very clever, or very powerful. Either way, could be trouble. And not trouble of the fun sort, either. I have me questions; who stole it? what was it?" she said, the questions still honestly burning her belly. 

"And I mean to find out. Aye, I know you are probably only interested in getting the wolves from your door, perhaps just interested in getting rich quick. you certainly have the legs of a thief. But this is beyond gold and silver. Something like that happens, it could take a chunk out of Singapore. And you with it" she explained. 

"I sailed many seas, not just of this world. I stole more gold and silver than you, let me tell you. And I did it back in the days they hung people until they shivered their last breath. There may be no honour amongst thieves, but consider this. If a rapscallion like meself be bothered, then so should you!"

A grin formed on Cik’s face, visible even in the current low light conditions. She looked at her friends, who nodded real quick, then took a step backwards.

“Oh, I think you’re overreacting. I don’t think this will affect too much. Bigger things have made less of an impact. “

Cik held her arm out to her side, stretching it out all the way. As she held it outwards, a glow started to surround it. And as she pulled the arm back inwards, the glow stayed in place, until it was only covering her hand and the space surrounding it, where it manifested into what appeared to be a crate. A crate like the ones usually found on ships, labelled “Fragile” and “This way up”. It was not a huge crate, about one meter in length, but it had appeared out of nowhere. 

And just as suddenly as it had appeared, the glow disappeared. Cik took a step forwards again, stil looking at Flintlock, not having moved her head during the entire summoning. And then she spoke, quietly, without much emotion.

“There you go. That’s the deal behind that. “

Edited by olopi