A Fair and Reasonable Price

The lab was certainly nice; Dr. de Havilland had a marvelous view of the river, lots of natural light when she wanted it, and with the flick of a switch the glass completely polarized if she needed darkness. The equipment was much better than what she worked with back at Harvard or her old lab, she had excellent, capable assistants and a very deep research budget. And yet...

And yet she couldn't help but wonder if this was a PR thing, a way to bring in more clients; unfortunately her new-found superpowers didn't make her any better at her work, so she was definitely still out of Dr. Archeville or Daedalus' league, but they made her interesting and somewhat 'sexy' from an investor's point of few. Estelle knew very well that a 'hot' lab thrived while a 'cool' one slowly died.

Am I just something exciting to put in a glossy prospectus, or do they really need me here?

Today's work is not particularly exciting, a new heteropolymer with a few interesting features, and in fact Estelle has to stifle a yawn with the back of a gloved hand.

"Are you that bored here, Doctor?"

Estelle turns to see Dr. Brian Thomas leaning in the door frame, slowly shaking his head; a handsome man in his early forties, he's the head of the Organic Chemistry Group and her immediate superior. The young researcher can only sigh.

"I'm sorry, Brian, I didn't sleep all that great last night; still getting used to-" She jerks her thumb over her shoulder, where a glimmering golden ponytail as thick as a man's arm hangs down the back of her lab coat; the very tip occasionally twitches like the tail of a sleeping cat. She shakes her head in frustration. "The fibers are so sensitive, I can feel the thread count of my sheets. I hope to God I don't have to resort to chemistry to get some sleep; I hate bringing my work home with me."

Dr Thomas laughs as he strides into the room. "Well, your sudden metamorphosis has certainly had a lot of consequences. Have you had much chance to work out in the gym?"

She nods vigorously. "Mmm, yeah; it's pretty amazing, the things it can do." The thick braid loosens itself slightly, allowing a long slender tendril of gold work itself free and drape over her shoulder; she offhandedly strokes it as it writhes under her touch. "I still can't get over it; it may take years, I expect."

Dr. Thomas looks a bit unnerved as he watches her, but quickly changes the subject. "Actually, there's a reason I came by to see you; we got a call from the FCPD, and they want our help on something, and I was hoping you could handle it."

The hair tendril zips out of Estelle's hands and worms itself back into place as the young chemist becomes all business. "Do they need something analyzed? It will take me a bit to clean up in here, but I could be ready to handle any samples in a about an hour, less if you can spare somebody to help."

Her boss chuckles and shakes his head. "No, no, no, nothing like that." He points at the ponytail. "I was actually hoping we could use that amazing head of hair of yours; there's a situation not far from here that could really use some sort of containment, stronger than anything we could whip up on short notice."

The blond chemist looks rather appalled. "Wait, you want me to do what now? Form my hair into a golden lasso and 'round up the bad guys?" She shakes her head and steps right up to Dr. Thomas. "I told you when I came on board that I was not interested in so-called 'hero work'; I didn't go to Harvard grad school so I could beat up people with my hair!" She throws her hands up in frustration. "I refuse to be pigeonholed because of some stupid lab accident!"

Dr. Thomas shrugs. "Look, I remember what you said, but the fact of the matter is an eight-foot tall Viking is wandering the streets of North End and we're the closest available people; it's that simple. Now can you help or not?"

Estelle finally hangs her head in defeat. "Alright, fine, I'll do it, but this is the one time." She starts to take off her lab coat, then stops and gives Dr. Thomas a quizical look. "An eight-foot what?"

Ullgir walked down the sidewalk his head down and looking at a map in his hand. He could read the words on it, but it was a little hard for him. They were small and they were spelled a little differently than they were in England back in 1820. If he was following the map correctly, somewhere in the direction he was going there was something called a Pawn Shop. He wouldn't even have known to go here had it not been for a nice young man helping an elderly fellow in an alley to remove his shoes.

"Uh.... yeah man.... just.... just go get a map over at an Info booth... find a pawn shop on it and go there. They buy... anything that you may have gotten legally....

His other hand was clasped tight around a solid silver Nordic wristband. The wristband was the currency for the Norse long ago, and he had never had trouble before trading one to somebody when he needed something. "Such a strange world this has become..." He thought to himself "...they no longer accept the most beautiful of metals that the Gods so graciously gave us. They now require some form of frail paper... seems to me Loki has had a hand in this..."

He had noticed for some time the looks people were giving him. He tried to ignore them as best he could. Try as he might, this would have to change when he heard one of them say they were going to call the police. He had to do something before this got out of hand. He slowed to a stop and looked up, hoping to see at least one kind face.

Estelle isn't sure which is more disturbing: the fact that ASTRO Labs has a highly-experimental protective suit they want her to try out, or the fact that it fit her perfectly. It was even in her favorite color! The techno-nerds from down in Force Applications & Robotics were practically drooling when they mysteriously turned up just in time for her to step out of the fitting room; it's a good thing Estelle works out, because the thing leaves nothing to the imagination.

But as it turns out, the thin material is tough yet surprisingly comfortable; a blend of Lycra, Dynakevlon and flexible carbon nanotubes, it doesn't bind or pinch and let's her body breathe. It also, according to an excitable young tech named Rudy, should stop most bullets.

"Most of them, yeah; some of big ones, or maybe like a railgun, might get though it. Railguns are totally awesome, dude; I built one my senior year at HIT, but they made me destroy it after I nearly shot down a plane..."

And now Estelle is swinging down the street, using streetlights and flagpoles as anchors as she zips over both pedestrians and traffic, making pretty darn good time actually. The bulk of her hair, that which is not involved in her current mode of transport, billows behind her like a shimmering golden cloud; needless to say, she makes quite an impression as she passes overhead.

In time, she finally spots the Viking standing in the middle of sidewalk about half a block away, and he’s big all right; Estelle comes to a stop suspended between two streetlights, and just sort of hangs there in shock.

“Wow. He is…a whopper.â€Â

However, she’s been experimenting a lot with her miraculous tresses, and she feels pretty good about the situation; just to be sure, she decides to check in with the boys back at the lab. She raises the internal radio link on her right wrist up to her lips and whispers, like she’s a hunter eying a bear.

“Okay, I have a visual on him; he’s very large, approximately three hundred kilos, and he looks…confused. Any suggestions?â€Â

There is a lot of clamoring at the other end of the link, with several young men whispering loudly in a heated exchange, until one finally raises his voice.

“Quit it! Ow! Okay, hi Dr. de Havilland, this is Barry Irving. Can you see if the target has a central power source, like a glowing symbol on his chest, or maybe like a ring?â€Â

The blond scientist squints as she tries to make out any details from this distance.

“I see a horned helmet…some sort of armor…and also a great deal of white fur trim, most likely polar bear. I do not see a visible power source.â€Â

It sounds like there’s a bit of a disagreement back at ASTRO.

“Why would he wear his power source where anyone could see it? They could just grab it!â€Â

“Well maybe it’s powered by our yellow sun.â€Â

“Maybe you’re powered by a yellow idiot crystal lodged in your skull!â€Â

“Ow!â€Â

“Wait, I want to talk to her!â€Â

“Shut up!â€Â

Estelle sighs and shakes her head, which causes her to sway from side to side; she does not have time for this nonsense.

"Alright, forget it, I’ll just go in without backup. De Havilland out.â€Â

"Wait! You don’t-" She clicks off the radio, squares her shoulders, and then closes the distance between herself and the Viking, eventually lowering herself down to the sidewalk beside him. Her hair hovers about her like a beautiful glittering cloud as she smiles and gives him a friendly nod; a few curious onlookers stop to observe the proceedings.

“Good morning! I don’t know if you speak English, but allow me to introduce myself; I’m Dr. Estelle de Havilland of ASTRO Labs. You appear to be lost; can I help you, sir?â€Â

She had surprised the techs by refusing to put on the domino mask they’d made for her.

“Look, what’s the point? The story was in the paper, there’s an ongoing court case, and it’s not like this stuff is easy to hide. It’ll just be me, okay?â€Â

And now she waits, hoping for a peaceful response...

“Good morning! I don’t know if you speak English, but allow me to introduce myself; I’m Dr. Estelle de Havilland of ASTRO Labs. You appear to be lost; can I help you, sir?â€Â

Ullgir looks to the woman as she approaches him, gliding through the air before being lowered gracefully to the ground beside him. The woman reminds him of the Valkyries in Asgard, kind yet straight forward, and before she fully makes it to the ground he can almost visualize her in Asgardian Armor. Seeing the image in his head he realizes another similarity, and graciously bows slightly.

"By Sif's golden hair I greet you. I am Ullgir Wulfsbane, Viking warrior and Champion of the Aesir. Though English is not my first language, I have learned to speak it. I have traveled many lands in my time on this world, but the size of this city rivals that of even Asgard."

He looks down at the map, which to him is quite small, and the silver bracelet in his left hand. Looking back at her he addresses her question now that introductions are over.

"This land and the people that live in it seem only to like their form of trade. In times before this I was always able to barter with trinkets I had collected over the years. However I have been unable to find a craftsman or tavern of any kind that will accept this as payment."

Ullgir holds up the silver bracelet in his left hand, obviously old and holding some sort of runes on it.

"I was told by a young lad that there was something called a "Pond Shop" that buys things from people. I was in search of this Pond Shop when I seem to have gotten lost in this City of Glass. If you could be so kind as to help me along my way I would be much appreciative, for I have not eaten in some manner of time and I grow weary."

Estelle dimples at the comparison to Sif; she's no expert on Norse mythology, but she knows enough to appreciate being compared to a goddess! :D

"I was told by a young lad that there was something called a "Pond Shop" that buys things from people. I was in search of this Pond Shop when I seem to have gotten lost in this City of Glass. If you could be so kind as to help me along my way I would be much appreciative, for I have not eaten in some manner of time and I grow weary."

She steps closer to have a look at the piece and whistles in appreciation. "Wow, that's so beautiful!" She shades her eyes and peers up and down the street. "Well whoever your friend was, he was at least partly right; a pawn shop would give you money for that, but nowhere near it's actual worth. Unfortunately anyone who would pay would most likely not give you cash; they'd want to write you a check or do a wire transfer, which I doubt would help you."

She turns back to scrutinize Ullgir, and the intensity of her clear blue gaze is a bit off-putting. "So you're the genuine article, a Viking in our era; if you don't mind, I'd like to help you, if for no other reason so that the police, the local lawmen, don't harass you."

Estelle pulls her cellphone out of her 'utility belt' (groan!) and starts scanning through phone numbers.

"But first we need to get some food into you; I'm guessing you're a meat and potatoes man, but none of the good steak joints around here would ever seat you. I'm going to phone ahead so we can get it to go, maybe eat out in the park or something. How do you like your steak cooked?"

Ullgir didn't know what a check or a wire-transfer was, but listening to Estelle he gathered it would be completely useless to him. Had he gotten to this place, he may well have lost a valuable heirloom. The fact that the woman before him has offered to help him raises his hopes. He has only met a few people in this city and the fact that it seems easy enough to make friends once he gets past the culture difference is a good sign.

"But first we need to get some food into you; I'm guessing you're a meat and potatoes man, but none of the good steak joints around here would ever seat you. I'm going to phone ahead so we can get it to go, maybe eat out in the park or something. How do you like your steak cooked?"

He smiles at this suggestion, as his stomach had been rumbling for some time now. The meal she spoke of, both in location and food suggested gladdened him. It had been quite a time indeed since he had enjoyed a meal with good company.

"Long past are the times of my peoples, our civilization and culture scattered into the four winds. I tried to find what happened to the Folk when last I woke from my long slumber, but to no avail. It seems that I am the last of a dead breed. I know not what has happened, though in nothing else I know that my Gods have not fallen in my absence. This at least I take comfort in, as I have not missed the final battle. Indeed I am a Viking in your time, out of place and yet at home."

He takes a pause to look around him. He looks up the buildings and down the street before returning his eye to the woman who, to him, seems to be somebody he can feel comfortable talking to. The woman who reminds him of the Goddess he saw once long ago.

"This place is strange to me indeed, the structures all look the same, and the people dress themselves in a manner which seems to blend to my vision. I have been blessed by the Gods to have found a soul to help me in this, my time of confusion." Pausing again, he smiles. "You spoke of steak, I like mine cooked through, with some blood still in the middle."

"This place is strange to me indeed, the structures all look the same, and the people dress themselves in a manner which seems to blend to my vision. I have been blessed by the Gods to have found a soul to help me in this, my time of confusion." Pausing again, he smiles. "You spoke of steak, I like mine cooked through, with some blood still in the middle."

Estelle smiles and places an order for two steak dinners to go at Nathan's, a North End restaurant known for its steak and chops. "Okay, if we walk over there at a leisurely place, our order should be ready by the time we arrive." She tucks her phone away and gestures for him to follow her.

"I can't imagine the profound sense of dislocation you must be feeling right now; I'm not sure when the last time you woke up was, but it must have been at least a hundred years ago. The world has changed so much since then: the innovations in technology that we've become so dependent on, our culture and outlook on life."

She chuckles and shakes her head, sending cascading ripples through her hair, then she turns the focus back on Ullgir.

"So just what do you do as a Champion of the Aesir? I know a little bit about your pantheon; Odin, Thor and Loki, and of course the Valkyries, mostly things I've picked up from Wagnerian opera."

"I can't imagine the profound sense of dislocation you must be feeling right now; I'm not sure when the last time you woke up was, but it must have been at least a hundred years ago. The world has changed so much since then: the innovations in technology that we've become so dependent on, our culture and outlook on life."

Ullgir looked at the vehicles passing them on the street as well as the street lights and buildings around them. The last time he was active in the world the United States consisted of 6 states. Cars and street lights were nothing but a dream in a scientists head, if that at all. The last 20 years didn't bring much understanding to him, as his attention was focused on finding the stolen artifact. Had he known more about the technology he might have been able to find it.

"Indeed the world has changed much from that which I knew. My eyes have seen over 1400 summers and winters here on Midgard. The world my heart had come to understand and care for ended with the coming of the gun. Gone are the days of magic here, lest ye be a mage or trained in the ways of the runes. Technology, as you called it, is the new ruler in these lands, and it has brought a dark cloud with it."

He scoffed as a city bus passed by, looking at the people inside. He could feel a feeling of contempt rise up through his gut. His head shook slightly before exhaling.

"So just what do you do as a Champion of the Aesir? I know a little bit about your pantheon; Odin, Thor and Loki, and of course the Valkyries, mostly things I've picked up from Wagnerian opera."

"I possess abilities similar to those of the Gods, granted by them for the purpose of protecting Midgard. I am hear to bring honor to my people and protect those who can not. Something is coming, Odin spoke of it, and I need to be here to help when it arrives."

"Indeed the world has changed much from that which I knew. My eyes have seen over 1400 summers and winters here on Midgard. The world my heart had come to understand and care for ended with the coming of the gun. Gone are the days of magic here, lest ye be a mage or trained in the ways of the runes. Technology, as you called it, is the new ruler in these lands, and it has brought a dark cloud with it."

The blonde superhuman winces as she continues to stroll with the Viking. "Hmm, sad to say I'm part of that 'dark cloud', as you so eloquently put it. Magic has always frightened me because it doesn't seem to make sense; something that doesn't follow the laws of logic, at least as I understand them, seems terribly dangerous."

She laughs ruefully.

"Of course, science has probably proven to be far more terrible, at least in the last century, than magic has ever been."

"I possess abilities similar to those of the Gods, granted by them for the purpose of protecting Midgard. I am hear to bring honor to my people and protect those who can not. Something is coming, Odin spoke of it, and I need to be here to help when it arrives."

Estelle frowns. "Something bad, like apocalyptic? What's it called...Ragnarok, isn't it? The final battle of the gods..."

She shivers, and her hair wraps around her shoulders like a protective cocoon.

"Hmm, sad to say I'm part of that 'dark cloud', as you so eloquently put it. Magic has always frightened me because it doesn't seem to make sense; something that doesn't follow the laws of logic, at least as I understand them, seems terribly dangerous."

Ullgir looks to her and nods, a look of regret on his face. He continues forward as he talks, weary of his words.

"My tongue has come before my brain, I did not mean for my words to cause disrespect. This technology has brought many advancements I am sure, and man has prospered here on Midgard for it. Yet as my eyes do look around me I see people riding in metal carts, vehicles I believe a man told me. They sit infront of electrical crystals that show them things. Man has become lazy, no longer do they walk to go somewhere, no longer do they work hard everyday, at least as a whole. If they do these things it is either because they are forced to, or they want to, and it doesn't seem very often.

"Something bad, like apocalyptic? What's it called...Ragnarok, isn't it? The final battle of the gods..."

"It may well be, though my heart wishes not. It could very well have been the Invasion from Omega, but I think not. It was horrible to say the least, but not cataclysmic." He brings his right fist over his head, chest, and shoulders, making the form of a hammer over his upper body. "Whatever it may be, let us all be ready."

Estelle smiles and waves a hand at Ullgir's apology. "Don't worry about it, I've heard far worse, mostly from my own family as of late." She sighs and looks somewhat forlorn, but then shakes off her gloomy mood. "But enough of my moping, we need to get you properly fed."

The pretty scientist strokes her chin thoughtfully. "Actually, I can get us over to the steakhouse a little quicker, if you don't object to a girl like me carrying you."

She flexes her rather modest muscles in a classic body-building pose, which is however mirrored by two massive twined limbs of hair from either side of her head, making her look a bit like a character in a Dr. Seuss book before she allows them to unravel back into the golden cloud. A few onlookers gasp but others chuckle; Estelle herself laughs at the ridiculous display, a laugh much louder than her outer sophistication would suggest were possible.

"I'm sorry. I actually could carry you, you know; swing all the way there with your legs kicking in the air...or do you fly like the gods yourself?" She smiles and shrugs. "I wouldn't want to slow you down."

Ullgir chuckles at the display, noting the hair move as if the goddess Sif commanded it herself. The thought did amuse him however, and at first he believed it a joke. "I'm sorry. I actually could carry you, you know; swing all the way there with your legs kicking in the air...or do you fly like the gods yourself? I wouldn't want to slow you down." With the realization that her suggestion was not indeed a joke, he shook his head gently before looking to her.

"Nay I do not fly, though even if the Gods had saw fit for me to move as a man I would feel dishonorable to allow a lady such as yourself to carry me. That said I would be honored if you would allow me to carry you, lest you feel safer moving by your own means."

Ullgir puts his right hand out while pointing to the road with his left, looking out at traffic. There are numerous cars out, though traffic is not at bumper to bumper conditions. There is space enough for a man, or viking, with speed enough to run between them easily.

"My eye needs only see the path before me, and you know the way to this house of steaks."

"Nay I do not fly, though even if the Gods had saw fit for me to move as a man I would feel dishonorable to allow a lady such as yourself to carry me. That said I would be honored if you would allow me to carry you, lest you feel safer moving by your own means."

Estelle's eyebrows go up at the Viking's suggestion.

"Carry me? Well, I...suppose we could go with that option..."

The thought is at first mildly offensive to her, a hulking man toting a modern independent young woman around, but then it occurs to her that perhaps it wouldn't be so bad; sometimes it's nice to waited on hand and foot, and the scientist in her is intrigued to get a sense of his level of strength.

"My eye needs only see the path before me, and you know the way to this house of steaks."

At last she nods firmly.

"Alright, we'll do it your way."

To keep her wild mane from blinding the poor man, she twists most of it into a thick braid that will hang down Ullgir's back, but leaves a slender tendril free to point the way, as she's fairly sure she will be holding on to the Viking for dear life.

I'm ready when you are."

"I'm ready when you are."

Ullgir nods slightly, picking the woman up gently in his arms. He brings her up off the ground so that one arm is supporting her back and the other is under her knees. Her hair moves behind his back as a single tendril points the direction that he needs to travel. "Hold tight, we move."

They move quickly through the street, easily keeping up with traffic and moving faster when the need arises. He makes sure Estelle is secured well, as he is fairly sure that mortals in this time would not do well to fall at this speed. Following her directions they quickly make way to a building, which to Ullgirs' standards doesn't look very private.

"If this is a house, why allow everyone to see inside?"

The 'ride' over is...bracing, to say the least; Estelle hasn't been carried by someone since she was rather small, and finds that despite the breakneck pace it's rather pleasant.

My next boyfriend, whoever he is, will have to carry me everywhere.

"If this is a house, why allow everyone to see inside?"

Estelle laughs as she slides easily to the ground.

"It's a public house, like a tavern or alehouse; the windows let in light and allow passersby to be tempted by the food everyone's eating inside. I'll just be a moment, and then we can find a nice place to sit outside; why be cooped up on a lovely day like this?"

Platinum card in hand, the blond scientist heads inside to pick up their steaks.

Ullgir waits outside patiently, his eyes fixed on Estelle as she walks in. She is the only person she knows in this area of town. While this would not have worried him in his own time, it brings a very odd feeling in this city of glass. He looks around the inside of the steakhouse, observing the people inside as if they were a thousand miles away. Indeed, they may well have been, for these people were nothing what he remembered of the folk, the human race, when he was younger.

He turns his head, his helmet allowing him to see further. With each glance he observes more people, realizing the number in this city is staggering. Never before have I seen so many gathered together. There are more here then all of Germania in its' days of glory. His eyes dart back to the building infront of him, bringing a sudden realization to the front of his brain. For all the gifts the Gods have given him to protect humanity, of all the powers he has gained, never before has he felt so small in such a large place.

After a few minutes, Estelle returns with several white plastic bags held up by loops of hair, leaving her hands free; an older woman passing by gives both her and Ullgir a sharp disapproving look, which seems to draw the hairweaver's ire. She crosses her arms and levels a stern gaze in her direction.

"It's impolite to stare, ma'am; my friend and I are minding our own business, so I suggest you do the same."

The woman sniffs and continues on, and Estelle just rolls her eyes. "You'd think a citizen of Freedom would be a bit more considerate, but I suppose we are an odd-looking pair to some. C'mon, let's find a place to sit down and eat."

She nods up the street, and a thin strand of gold snakes out to gently rest across the Viking's broad shoulders; the sensation is odd (though the contact is light, he can feel the little tendril's strength) but suggests a feeling of camaraderie.

As she leads Ullgir closer to Liberty Park, the blond scientist-turned-superhuman chats about many things, including her family's Norman heritage ("We might even be related!"), the wonders and pitfalls of life in the modern world ("Reality TV will be the death of us all.") and the high cost of quality shampoo ("I'd make my own if I could afford the raw materials in bulk.") They draw a few more looks, not so much because they are supers but because they are casually walking down 48th Street carrying take-out.

A cop car has been slowly following them, but once they finally get to the corner of 52nd and Wading it speeds off. Estelle points at an impressive building across the street.

"That's the Hunter Museum, where I'd suggest you let them have a look at your piece." She then points at the opposite corner. "And there's Liberty Park, where I'm hoping we can find a little peace and quiet for our meal."

• 2 weeks later...

Ullgir watches the woman as she passes by, her disapproving stare seeming to cause him discomfort. It has been so long since he has been near the public, yet even with this fact he is unprepared for looks of disapproval. He was a hero, one who stood for the people and protected them, yet this woman looked as if he was some sort of monster. Ullgir doesn't know much of the history of the past few hundred years which confuses him on the feelings of the people which now live in this age.

"Doth my appearance bring disdain or unwanted feelings to this woman? Hath I brought pain to her in some way to warrant such a look?"

As if an unspoken answer was made he feels the hair on his shoulder. Though the feeling is strange it does bring a smile to his face, the touch helping to calm him and to an extent bring his mind to ease.

As they draw closer to the park he is relieved that the conversation has moved to lighter subjects. As the subject of her heritage comes up he chuckles a bit. "Though I smile at the thought of the folk living on in one such as you, I believe those of your lineage come from a different region than myself, as I believe my family line ended with me." He smiles at that, not thinking of it as a bad thought but a proud memory of earning ultimate glory in battle.

Ullgir takes note of the two locations, looking for a moment at the museum before turning his attention to the park. Walking toward the park Ullgir takes not of a particularly beautiful tree in the middle of a grassy area. Pointing to it with his hand he looks down at Estelle and smiles. "If it suits you, I believe that location would be wonderful."

"If it suits you, I believe that location would be wonderful."

Estelle nods in agreement. "Yes, that looks like a wonderful spot."

Once they arrive at the tree, the blond super spreads her about half her hair over the grass like a blanket, lengthening it a bit to cover more ground; she takes a seat and gestures for the Norseman to join her. "Believe me, it's very clean and won't get into anything." The surface is very soft and surprisingly comfortable. She continues talking as she uses both hands and several tendrils to start spreading out the food on disposable Chinette plates. "Don't worry if you spill anything, I can stop by the fountain for a quick rinse later."

What's most striking about Dr. de Havilland's power is how natural she makes it seem, all of her extra 'hands' working in concert like she's been this way her whole life; her attitude does much to preserve a sense of normality, but it cannot banish the oddness entirely.

Ullgir sits slowly, unsure of how to go about sitting on another persons hair on purpose. His eyes look over the hair now below him, following it up to the woman it belongs to. Watching her place the food out he wonders to himself what manner of magic gave her this gift.

"If I may be so bold, by what manner were you gifted with these beautiful lochs? Did the dwarves make them for you as they did Sif, or did some form of magic bring your golden hair to life?"

He waits politely for her response, looking at her with a smile before removing his helmet. His head uncovered she is able to see long brownish-blond hair and a short beard. A scar runs down the left side of his face from above his eye brow to just before his jaw line, his eye whited over.

• 2 weeks later...

"If I may be so bold, by what manner were you gifted with these beautiful lochs? Did the dwarves make them for you as they did Sif, or did some form of magic bring your golden hair to life?"

Estelle snorts as she finishes laying out the spread. "Not exactly, unless if by 'magic' you mean 'an industrial accident brought on by a duplicitous brother'; I'm lucky to have received a 'gift' instead of horrible burns or scars-"

She cuts herself short with a start when the Viking removes his helmet, for a moment losing her composure at her poorly-timed comments; she places a hand on her throat and takes a moment before continuing her response.

"I am so sorry, I didn't mean...sorry." She shakes her head and smiles as her fair cheeks go a bit pink and she laughs self-consciously. "Well, good thing I'm wearing comfortable shoes, or else I might have injured my mouth, eh?"

The blond hairweaver sighs as she opens a bottle of wine and pours two glasses (they're plastic with stems). "So no, no magic, though from what I know of the Norse pantheon you're probably more than familiar with duplicitous brothers; mind you, I don't think he planned on injuring me, but his deceit was a key factor in all this. And now he's being punished...as am I."

She offers a glass to Ullgir and raises her own in toast. "To surviving one's family. Skoal!" Somewhat surprisingly, she actually takes the whole glass in one gulp!