Cold War Relics [IC]

The Sailor

North Bay Yacht Club

April 23rd, 2016

9am, Sunny, 59 degrees

GM

Torpedo Lass organized some bags on the rented out yacht the nautical superheroine had loaded on. She had everything planned out for the day outing, right down to where to do the water sampling the science teacher that had sponsored the trip along with Torpedo Lass herself who used some reward money she picked up on a couple small patrols prior to cover insurance for the trip.

It would be a two day trip, with the duo returning home sometime in the afternoon.

She also recommended to dress warmly, although she also knew Casey's powers made her more than able to handle the cold.

She smiled as she sat on one of the well stuffed piles of bags. Being super-strong had it's perks. She was both stevedore, and sailor both.

She adjusted the suit that was her costume, and waited for her young charge for the next two days to arrive.

Edited by Sailor

Casey Blankenship was excited; not because she was getting the chance to do science experiments with an experienced hero, but because she was getting to ride public transportation! It might seem silly, but for a flyer like her, the opportunity to explore the city from the ground, without having to focus on all the variables of urban flight, was actually a special treat. Sure, it took a lot longer (two buses and three trains!), but Case was an earlier riser by nature, and packing for a day trip and studying bus and train schedules were her kind of fun. She got to do lots of people watching, too, which was also cool.

At nine am sharp, the eager young heroine marched into the North Bay Yacht Club, scanned the marina with her amazing eyes, and quickly picked out Torpedo Lass based on her description. She quickly made her way over to the slip, wearing a navy blue sailing jacket over her Claremont uniform and a bright yellow waterproof bag over her shoulder. As was usual in her civilian ID, her hair was up and she was wearing her glasses, with clip-on sunglasses attached. 

"Hi, Torpedo Lass?" She grinned and waved. "I'm Casey Blankenship, from Claremont? Nice to meet you!" Her handshake was warm, with a nice strong grip. She flipped up her sunglasses and scanned the water, shielding her eyes with her hand. "Forecast's not too bad, considering; sounds like it won't get bad until tonight."

Edited by Heritage

Torpedo Lass smiled, accepting the handshake... for someone who was starting to make waves in Freedom City, she didn't seem like she showed her strength, although the handshake was more a friendlier firmness. "Yep, that'd be me. Good old Torpedo Lass, AKA Mary Masterson, Master Chief, US Navy. Happily retired." She said with a grin. "C'mon aboard."

"Interesting school uniform you got... they issue those tracksuits to all the students? I might wanna talk with the staff there and get myself one if I do any motivational speaking there. Could use something for the daily jog." She jokes about, trying to break the ice. "Jogging in this sort of wetsuit I'm wearing isn't such a comfortable thing." Torpedo Lass was quick to take Casey's bag, setting it next to all of her's. "Okay. Seems you're ready for the "schoolwork" portion of your cruise here. We're heading near the spot where that plane went down a few months ago to check for any residual fuel or what-not in the water. Sort of in agreement with your Chemistry teacher on doing some samples. Then we're going to head out for lunch into the blue under the sun... although with the few clouds we got they might be more numerous as the day progresses... Then an evening of whatever you'd like. Unless the chop causes me to head over to a cove to make sleeping better."

The yacht's a motorized design, A decent length, sort of spoiling for someone like the two on her. And luckily all it really needed for a crew was two. She pointed out on the bridge where the life vests were, and there was what looked like a decent rainsuit sitting on top of it. Seeing the two life raft cannisters, one on the bow and one at the stern also seemed to assuade any doubts about being safe on this trip. The yacht looking brand-new was a help. "There's some waterproofs if you need 'em, and the mae wests are in the crate. From my supplies, I keep them around for rescues. I just toss one to a person in the drink or get one on them if they're unresponsive."

She sits at the helm of the yacht, gesturing to the other seat. "Ever piloted a boat out of dock? If you got problems I can take over."

The young Claremonter eagerly put on the life vest, clearly familiar with how to put one on; some people grumbled about putting on a vest, stating they were excellent swimmers or the like, but Casey made no objections. Once she had it properly adjusted and squared away, she joined Torpedo Lass at the helm, looking somewhat uncertain.

"Well, we definitely covered basic boating and boat safety in Scouts, but I've never piloted one this big before, Chief; with your permission, I'd love to give it a chance, though." 

She reached over and carefully placed her hands on the stearing wheel and throttle, then looked over her shoulder sheepishly. "I have to be honest, though; I don't even have my driver's license yet." It was true; as a flier, she hadn't really needed to drive, so she hadn't signed up for the class yet.

Edited by Heritage

Torpedo Lass/Mary Masterson
"Well the controls are far easier." She said as the two started to get underway. Luckily the TV screens that served as rear-view mirrors helped with keeping a safe view of the surroundings.

It was a little hairy leaving the marina, but soon the two were out to open water. Soon the two came to where the sampling was supposed to take place at.

Torpedo Lass... Mary turned to Casey. "Excellent work, Skipper! Got us right where the plane foundered down below. We should start taking samples and get the work done fast so we can get lazy and enjoy this trip."

Mary winked. "Some role model I am, eh?"

Mary opens the yellow sack marked "Sample tools" and takes the vials and other sample equipment to the bow of the boat. "Okay, time to get this project started!"

She noted the clouds had started to gather up, turning the sky overcast. "Odd... that wasn't in the forecast."

GM

Indeed it wasn't in the forecast to have something whip up that quick. The wind had picked up slightly, and there was a slight chop to the sea. There was a smell of ozone in the air, things started to feel electric as the wind moved through the two mariner's hair. Something was happening. Something big. Mary and Casey could feel the yacht move as the smell got stronger. And it was obvious that a wall of fog was moving in. It seemed that the edge of the world was moving towards them, and the outer fringe of the fog was heading their way. This was not how Fog sets in. Everything about this seemed... unnatural.

And almost as fast as the fog was spotted and the weather started to shift, the yacht and the two sailors were now in the middle of the thickest fog they had ever seen. The smell was the strongest now, although the water had calmed as well as the wind. But now an eerie sense washed over the two... something was wrong. The only sound for now they heard was the static on their radio and the gentle lapping of the water against the hull, and the sound of their breath among the clinking of the glass vials in the sampling kit.

• 2 weeks later...

"This is all super-weird," murmured Casey as she pulled off her glasses and turned her senses to the world of fog around them. She was scanning for heat sources with her IR and cocking her head from side to side as she listened up and down the radio frequencies; it looked a bit odd, but in situations like this, practicality overrode all social conventions.

Plus she had a pretty good feeling that the Chief knew what kind of stuff went down at Claremont...

TL

Torpedo Lass was concerned... more for whatever was causing this, as it felt a bit too familiar. Then again it was storming when she had disappeared to modern times from the Pacific of WWII... but when she was fished out of the water by that research ship almost a decade ago, the conditions were just like this. When Casey took off her glasses and started looking over the area with more interest. Torpedo Lass got the idea quick.

"Don't have to hide it from me, kiddo. You got powers, right?"

She looked over to her. "I'm going to say this because I'm not being bossy, but your were left in my care. Keep your wits about you, watch your back, and whatever happens don't freak out. I wager you've done this before, so whatever happens, I got your back on this one."

She smiled. "At least the boat's not sinking, aye?"

GM

Casey saw it... a large ship. It looked like a cargo vessel, and it had warm sources heat radiating from the engine room... what was more was the picked up radio-signals. But from what she knew, those were old analog frequencies. That and there were small, moving heat-sources on deck, but they seemed too warm for people... As the ship moved it was obvious their motorboat and the ship would not meet in a collision. They were sailing parallel, although the shadowy ship's form was starting to become visible. The first thing Casey saw... was Russian markings, and a... Soviet Flag?

The little detail that could be made out visually through the fog also suggested the ship's been through salty air for about two years. It wasn't a rusted-out hulk by any means, but it was a ship on a long trip, without basic care a mariner would usually take. At least from what Casey knew when Sakurako pined for the open water and the duties she had on her parent's yacht on their open-water vacations.

Then the static was all that could be heard over the radio as the engine stopped and the smell of ozone reached it's peak...

Nodding in response to the Chief, Casey placed her glasses in a pouch on her belt, removed her life vest and shook out her hair as she took to the air. After several seconds of scanning, she hesitantly made her report.

"Okay, this just gets weirder and weirder; I think we've got a Soviet ship out there, manned by...either people running really high fevers, or they're not even human." She shook her head. "And I think they may be getting ready to discharge either a pulse or some sort of electrical burst weapon." She looked concerned. "Be ready for anything, I guess."

GM

There wasn't much time for a response as the Soviet ship stopped in the water. The warmth of the engine area of the ship started to cool as well as the Russian ship fell silent. Then the fog suddenly vanished as the wind kicked up. It was storming... and with sudden ferocity. The waves began to pick up... by the time things reached a crecendo, the waves were well over a foot.

There was no power on the yacht at this point, and the radio was completely silent. But everyone's watches and portable technology still worked. Particularly the GPS Torpedo Lass had clipped to her vest.

But also what was functional, moving on four mechanical legs, was a quadriped-like robot with a spherical body. It's reddish-amber eye was scanning the now rain-swept area. And it's sights were set on the Yacht suddenly... and more started to move to the side the larger robot was on.

TL

Torpedo Lass held to the side of the Yacht getting low to keep her center of gravity properly set. She saw the robots on the deck of the cargo ship and she narrowed her glowing blue-green eyes. It had gotten darker from the sudden storm above but she could still see it. "Casey... I think that ship just came through a time rift... This is EXACTLY how I remember conditions when I had popped to modern times from World War Two... That research ship that picked me out of the water was havin' electrical issues when a sudden storm popped up after moving into a fog-bank that had suddenly appeared. This isn't a 1940's Liberty Ship by any means, though..."

She tensed a bit, seeing the robots taking an interest. "So... what ya think we should do? I'm startin' to think of jumping on to that ship and find out what's up. You know Russian? If those things could even talk..."

Edited by Sailor
  • 2 weeks later...

Weather control. Greaaaaaat.

Casey was now thoroughly drenched, but her spirits were undampened as she floated back down to the deck. 

"Unfortunately, I only know English and Spanish, so unless they have some Cuban robots onboard, that's not going to help." 

She sighed and pushed wet hair out of her face. 

"I'm all for going over to take a look; I never like to assume anyone's hostile, but conking out our electrical systems isn't a good sign. Watch out for ranged attacks!" 

She turned to TL.

"Do you still want to jump? I can give you a lift, if you want."

TL

Nah. If you're gonna fly. Follow my jump path. We go together.

She looked at the boat, pulling out the tube to her vest puffing it a little. "Slight precaution if I miss my mark." She said before crouching for her leap. "Once we hit that deck, be ready for anything."

She looked over to Casey. "And I got your back..."

"Three... Two... One..." Torpedo Lass leaps with precision, heading for the rear portion of the deck, luckily away from the roving robots...

Casey quietly nodded, then followed after the older heroine; she basically hopped off the deck and flew low, just above the waves. When she kept her speed down, there was minimal glow from her bioenergy field, perfect for situations like this. Once she got around the rear of the Soviet ship, she gracefully rose up and dropped soundlessly to the deck.

Once there, she gave TL a quick thumbs up.

• 4 weeks later...

TL

Torpedo Lass put her back to the bulkhead, peeking around before turning back to her young companion.

"Here's what I'm thinking... I just spotted a couple of those things... they're like spiders with four legs... some have tank treads. Most of their armament looks light. Anti-infantry at best. I did see a couple Grenade launchers. I think I saw some Russian written with normal numbers, and Soviet Hammer and Sickles..."

The storm wasn't letting up. "...seems this ship just jumped through time and this storm the jump created won't let-up for a while."

She sighed, feeling the engines of the large ship begin to shut down. "Seems this boat'll be dead in the water for a while too."

"Back to task... Here's what's on the table... we could see if they are in fact hostile, and deal with it the old fashioned way." She said, punching her hand. "Or we open a dialogue, and hope those things aren't just automatons..."

GM

The complexion of the matter became apparent.

"AMERICAN... HOLD YOUR POSITION AND SURRENDER. YOU ARE OUTGUNNED."

The largest of the drones challenged the Seaworthy Sentinel, it's three glowing red eyes glowering at her, while a laser pointer had a bead on her forehead.

"IDENTIFY YOUR MILITARY ASSOCIATION."

Apparently though... the other drones with the large one didn't see Miracle Girl who managed to get near a couple crates... One seemed quite able to be climbed into.

"SCANNING... YOU ARE MARY MASTERS... PLEASE COME TO THE DECK. WE ARE AWARE YOU HAVE A ADOLESCENT HUMAN WITH YOU, BUT CANNOT LOCATE HER... FOR HER SAFETY YOU WILL COME WITH US."

Torpedo Lass crossed her arms. "What if I don't?"

The large drone fired off at the Yacht the two had been sailing on before jumping on to the ship, it explodes in a massive fireball from the missile it launched. "We will find your friend and toss her to the storm. We do not care of the other, although if she doesn't present a threat we will not harm the girl... our mission is clear... To bring you back to Moscow."

When the Soviet-bots blew up their boat, Casey winced as if in physical pain; all her clothes, gear and laptop were safely packed in waterproof, buoyant bags, but she wasn't sure if they were explosion-proof. 

Thank God I started backing up my files on the Cloud!

Stuff could be replaced, but not their lives; it was time to focus and get back to work. The blonde heroine quietly climbed up on the crate to get a better a view when an idea struck her; not her best idea ever, but worth a try. Clearing her throat, she adjusted her vocal chords to match the odd metalic speach patterns of the robots before calling out, "ADOLESCENT HUMAN LOCATED ON FOREDECK ... MOVE TO HER LOCATION AND SUBDUE."

Edited by Heritage

GM

The robots at first looked towards the bow from Casey's attempt at subterfuge. It was a clever ruse one that could have worked if the robots weren't simultaneously communicating to themselves over radio as well as vocally. They started to look around. the smaller drones with obviously soviet markings scanning crates, looking wildly for Miracle Girl with their small rifles whizzing about to match their laser rangefinders... but there was a delay. From the look of the attached rifles, they might be using mostly 1980's technology.

"FIND THE INTERLOPER!" They said in unison starting to look wildly for Miracle Girl.

There are 3 drones actively looking for you, they look lightly armored, and the rifles look like a small caliber.

Torpedo Lass

Torpedo Lass had her hands up at this point. "Wait... I have a question."

The "leader" stopped in mid-search. "What? If this is to buy time for your charge it is irrelevant how long you delay me, the others will find her and report. We are united in purpose."

"Are you aware of what year this is? Look at what I'm wearing."

The robot scanned her. "You are wearing an advanced neoprene and rubber garment, called colloquially a "wetsuit", over that is a large air bladder connected to a gas bottle designed to inflate it for swimming purposes. To be expected considering your higher body density to regulate buoyancy. You have several unknown technological devices putting off EM fields that we are registering."

"Yes... but doesn't that tell you how long you've slipped through time?"

The robot holds. "What year is this?"

"2016. And the Soviet Union has fallen."

"LIES!" The leader opens fire at Torpedo Lass with it's missiles.

It seems that negotiation is out of the question, and for these robots, the cold war has gone hot.

Edited by The Sailor
  • 3 weeks later...

"Oh, nuts," Casey murmured to herself; well, it was worth a shot.

Rather than just charging up them and duking it out, the blonde powerhouse decided to try something a little different; scanning her immediate surroundings with her infrared vision, she spotted a nice length of cold, steel pipe, which had some nice heft to it. Holding like a harpoon, she quickly stood up and hurled it right at one of the smaller drones, neatly impaling it with a cloud of sparks!

"Yes!" she cried out with a pump of her fist, which was quickly followed by an "Oh, darn!" when she realized she'd completely exposed herself.

• 4 weeks later...

GM

The Drones were shocked by Casey's attack, was she stronger than she looked? The drones transformed into turrets in response, their rifles starting to fire, but their old sensors were not doing them very well. Something was very evident these drones had been on the water for quite a bit before their time-jump. The drones looked frustrated that they had just given their opponent a distinct advantage. With how they shook, you'd think you had become nervous!

Torpedo Lass

Torpedo Lass was grinning. She hadn't had a fight like this in a while, colliding her fists against the giant drone's limbs. Her fists glowed as she fired off blasts with snaps, being deflected by the machine. It was a tough customer, until Torpedo Lass swung once more. When she connected, she saw the armor break on it's "chest" as it were, exposing many wires, some sparking. She saw a target but in her distraction she was hit. She slammed against the bulkhead of the ship near it's "Bridge".

"Dang... got distracted." She said, spitting out... blood and a tooth? "Lost a tooth on that one..." She gritted through the pain. "Ow." She said, not impressed. Leveling her rage filled gaze at the machine. "Luckily I got a good dental plan."

The drone bends back into combat position, defending it's damage section. "If you were with us, you would be taken care of."

Torpedo Lass grinned. "I'm already taken care of, machine. By America." She said, her eyes flaring up. "That's all I need."

She turned her gaze to Casey for a second, seeing her do extraordinarily well against her drones. "I see Javelin is your favorite track event, eh?" She turned back to the heavy drone before her. "I'm more a Boxing fan, personally." She said, bringing up her fists. "So Drone, whatcha say? You think you got enough of that Soviet honor and pride to knuckle up?"

It's eyes glared. "Very well... FOR THE MOTHERLAND!" It said, casting away it's claw-like appendages, revealing two spiked pile-driver like weapons.

Torpedo lass gulped. "Had to open that big mouth... sailor girl..." She thought. But she had Casey to protect.

Edited by The Sailor
  • 4 weeks later...

It was time to finish this fight; Casey took to the air, rising up in a graceful arc before slamming back downwards, her booted foot neatly decapitating the drone with a powerful spinning kick. The head went sailing off into sea as she dropped into a ready stance, feet planted and fists up before her, a determined look in her eyes as the rain continued to pour down. Shaking her damp hair out of her eyes, the blonde powerhouse grinned at the last drone, and it was not at all sunny or cheerful.

"Looks like it's just you and me now, little tin can; show me what you got!"

Edited by Heritage