The Traveller
Whilst she was more than capable of handling the diplomacy it always set her teeth on edge, especially when dealing with professional politicians. So she was more than happy to let Cavalier deal with such matters, whilst she could explore other options.

Fighting a hologram was out so that left the technological option, however, the hologram was generated was probably the best option though it was important to determine if it was a fancy AI or a live transmission. If they were lucky and it was the later they'd had time to prepare for whatever retaliation they might do of the signal was block.

the other option was to let this all play out, though she suspected they wouldn't accept a no so planning for this she bought up the data her suit had been gathering to look at what options they had.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moon-moth for his part was all but spent! He'd done a lot of impromptu magic and had to defend himself and others from electricity.

Lanturnians were very open to the energies of the universe, it was part of why they had such intuitive grasp of magic but as with all things there was a cost, in this case they were highly flammable and conductive to the fragmented fundamental forces that magic worked with.

So he just opted to sit on the floor and attempt to centre himself for what was to come next 

GM

As Moon-Moth sat down on the floor to try to collect himself, Seresk held back and bent down towards the Lanturian.  "Are you alright my friend?"  The towering reptilian asked in a low voice.

Meanwhile, the focus of the planetary council was on Cavalier and Traveller.  The elder Zultasian spoke up at Cavalier's questions.  "Yes, we heard the demands of the Justicar's demands, and have seen data on the colossus the Khanate has apparently been able to deposit on our threshold.  We have been trying to contact our representative on Co Vic Station to request aid from the Council, but it appears long range communications are being disrupted."

Another of the council members spoke up at this point.  "We have little desire to return to Khanate, but in the current situation do we have much choice?  If we are isolated, we have no way of knowing how long it might be before aid arrives, and that machine out in the bay was able to shrug off the combined fire power of our defense fleet.  Who knows how much destruction it could cause if it moves into the city." 

The Traveller

Sitara took in the information as she worked on other things, to be fair she'd dealt with other greater stakes with much fewer people. It didn't take much to come to a solution, she might have had certain plans in place for just such emergencies. Or at least something similar, she was many things but not psychic.

"I just happen to have the essential materials to create an Ansible to the Praetorians stationed on CoVic. Very few races can mess with Quantum entanglement signals, and the Khanate are most definitely not one of them." she paused before adding the more serious detail of this

"Even if we do this though there will be some bloodshed, we'd have to hold out until our allies could respond. No one would blame you if you chose the more peaceful option."

"Oh friend seresk moth is having the bad day!" He complained cutely as only a he could "moths floof is ruined!" He huffed moodily as he sat there pouting.

"seriousing now though Moth needings to rest now so if things turning nasties can do more than flailings angrily, please to be awakenings when neededs ok? Thankings you!" And with that he flopped on his back and began to snore, apparently fast asleep.

"I can aid with this effort," said Cavalier, turning to The Traveller. "Technically, this is a diplomatic mission, which means the Star Knights have license to use the quantum channels that run through Citadel. I'm probably going to be dealing with one hell of a roaming charge, and Mentor's gonna want to have a talk with me about my minutes..."

Cavalier then realized that he was likely confusing the hell out of everyone else, which was not the right thing to do in a time of high tensions. "Never mind, Star Knight stuff. But The Traveller is right. We may be waiting for backup, but every minute we spend not bowing before the Khanate is another minute they spend getting angry. We'll help you to deal with the hostilities, and we'll be right there on the front line to take the brunt of the blow... but we can't guarantee that we'll take all of it. Ultimately, this is your choice to make, and we will default to it." 

• 2 weeks later...

GM

"I am sure your floof will recover in due time my friend."  Seresk replied with what passed as a smile for his reptilian features.  "Rest easy my friend, I will stand guard over you."  As Moon-Moth drifted off to sleep, the towering reptilian Praetorian focused back on the room around them.

The council members looked amongst themselves for a moment at Cavalier’s question.  Finally the elder turned back toward the Star Knight.  "We greatly appreciate your aid.  While we are inclined to resist this aggression on our rather newly found independence, we would like to see if communication can be established with CoVic Station so we can at least get some gauge on how long it might take for assistance to arrive."

When Cavalier tried to establish his connection with Menton, he found the connection was far from perfect, being rather garbled and cutting out at times.  Traveller set to work trying to help with the signal, quickly realizing that despite her prior statement, it appeared that the Khanate was employing some form of jamming system that was disrupting even Quantum entanglement signals.  After a few minutes of effort, she was able to boost the signal enough that they were at least able to more clearly communicate over it, even if there was more static than there should be.

After a few moments the Citadel had routed them to the Praetorian headquarters and an image of Elite materialized in the council chambers.  "Cavalier, Traveller."  She stated, nodding slightly toward each.  "I am afraid we are a bit pressed for time at the moment here, but if this is a quick matter I can take a few moments."

• 3 weeks later...

The Traveller

Communications weren't her strongest field, a point being she hadn't expected there trick to almost flood subspace and drown out a signal, but she managed to improvise something that appeared to be working. But she couldn't tell how long they'd managed before the signal was cut off for good. Still, she used every trick she'd learned over her many centuries of engineering to keep the channel open.

"Long story short we're in the middle of an Khanite invasion, the locals would like to stay out of the Khanite and we need as much help as you can muster as quickly as possible!"

Sitara looked around at everyone else, feeling a little sheepish at how simple she managed to break everything down.

"Did I miss anything important?"

• 2 weeks later...

GM

Elite listened at Traveller quickly ran down the situation they and the Kembelians were facing.  If she seemed surprised or alarmed by anything said, it did not show on her face.  When Traveller finished, Elite gave a small nod.  "Well, that fits with what has been going on here.  Less than half an hour ago a Khanate cruiser arrived through the wormhole, wanting to speak with the Coalition Counsel on behalf of the Khan.  The emissary from the Khan is currently in the assembly hall with the counsel, and has declared the Khan’s intention to reclaim all the former Khanate worlds that have broken away since the Incursion."

"Meanwhile, some Khanate affiliated bounty hunters began a firefight in the Spinal Core with the Voidrunners, while hacking into the system station security uses to control the security drones, shutting them all down.  The bounty hunters are currently lose, while something is happening out at the Tower of the Sacred Assembly on the Main Plaza, apparently an attack by Khanate forces, if the High Prophet of the Assembly is to be believed."

"But I will notify the Lor Navy and other local Coalition forces to get as much aid dispatched your way as possible.  But if the Khanate is already making good with its threat to reclaim lost worlds by attacking Kembel, it is a good bet that other free worlds are under attack right now as well."

• 1 month later...

The Traveller

Sitara listened to the situation going on throughout Khanite space it wasn’t unexpected, that was why she’d been gathering intel after all, but the size and audacity was something.

“We’ve faced worse before, and hopefully we’ll face it again. Besides I still owe you a drink for these boots you tracked down for me. Be careful and Goddess speed to you all.”

She cut the link and looked out at the assembled Kembelans being as confident as she could manage, which was for her quite a lot.

“It’s as we though we’re going to have to hold them off for a short while. So what resources do we have at hand to hold them off? I’m open to anything, especially if it’s something they’d wouldn’t have thought of.”

• 3 weeks later...

"First priority should probably be enclaves," said Cavalier. He was trying to figure out a way to phrase this that didn't make him sound like a complete bastard. "The Khanate... you know as well as I do. Dissent's up there with 'poison in the royal champagne' when it comes to things that don't go down well with the Khan. Your people have likely already evacced from the major population centers, but if you have any kind of redoubts, any sort of doomsday bunkers that you organized for the great people in charge in case everything got lit on fire... I'd consider opening them. Just in case. Because it may not stop with that 'meteor.'"

Having greatly crapped on the carpet, Cavalier took a deep breath. "The second thing we could use is interference. Given the announcement from the Justicar, odds are they're planning some great 'nuke it from orbit' tactic beyond just the meteor. If there are other ships coming for backup, we could use something that could scramble comms, make it harder for them to coordinate whatever they might be planning - plus, if it interferes with whatever's puppeteering the big bastard, that could help, too."

He snapped his fingers, which didn't have as much of the desired effect, what with metal scraping on metal. "And there's number three. Is there anywhere we can try to lure this Khanate Mecha-bastard so that it punches through some soft loam and ends up on some really rough footing?" 

• 1 month later...

GM

The council members had been talking amongst themselves after learning the information of what was going on elsewhere from Elite.  When Traveller and Cavallier spoke up, they focused back on the Praetorians.  "We will get as many as possible to the most secure areas we have."  One of the council members responded to Cavallier’s comment about getting people to safety. She then began making calls.

"We still have our defensive fleet in orbit."  Another council member responded.  "While they might not be enough to stand up to a full invasion force from the Khanate, they could serve to harass any such attack and possible interfere with communications."

"There are a number of civilian vessels on world that we may be able to call upon to assist with trying to jam communications in the system."  Another added.  "They might be quick to run from any sign of a fight, but at least could temporarily cause some disruption in any invasion force."

"We have a sizable militia."  Added the older council member finally.  "They are fairly well trained and quite brave, but they might not be any more effective against that mechanical monstrosity in the bay than our fleet was.  As for a possible location where it terrain could be used against it, there is a sizable area of swamp land about ten miles north of the city.  There are many subterranean caverns and soft land that could cause it problems."

• 4 months later...

There. A plan starting to come together. 

"Okay," said Cavalier. "Keep the militia in reserve. As you said, they may not do much against the craft, but if he's already invited a bunch of buddies to the party, they'll be good against any landing party that may be coming down the line. That will be if the signals get through the jamming frequency." 

That just left the matter of the swampland. What would make the device want to go there? Obviously, the Praetorians, but the device would likely decide that chasing opposition wouldn't be worth breaking position, and any attempt to actively lure it by dancing in front of its sensors might result in another round of getting fricasseed.

Unless it senses an opportunity...

He turned to Sitara. "The Khanate would likely mess the royal breeches if it found out this planet had some sort of A-class munitions. One way or the other. Either that means the colony's managed to point a big freaking gun in their faces, or they might be dumb enough to set it off and press the big instant 'I win' button of quashing planetary rebellion. If we could find a way to mock the signature of such a weapon and 'suddenly' create a holding pen in the depths of the swamp, we might be able to get that thing ready to do a little digging."