Jump to content
Thevshi

Crash on Volturnus (IC)

Recommended Posts

Starshot

 

On this matter, Starshot was honestly torn. He scratched his chin. On any other occasion, he would comply with Phalen's request. But Phalen did not quite seem sane here. What was his duty? To Phalen, or to Phalen's wishes?

 

Bah! To go against a man's desires is the way to Tryanny. I am no lawyer, no philosopher, no psychiatrist! I never will be. And I would sleep better if I respected his wishes!

 

"Phalen, though I think it unwise of you, I will take you back to your caves if you so wish. Be clear, I think you will die there, sooner or later, quite alone. I think I can keep you safe. I think I can give you a better life. But, I will not go against your wishes, despite the grim fate that awaits you. What say you? Think carefully, do not think with your gut or your spine, but with your head. This is no light choice..."

Share this post


Link to post

GM

 

Phalen went quite for a few moments, seeming to actually be in thought about the choice Starshot had put before him.  Finally the man gave a nod and stated, "Phalen wants to return to his caves."

 

"Well, you gave it a shot."  Soreen stated with a small shrug as she got to her feet.  "Shall I get the flyer ready to depart?"  She asked, looking over to Starshot.

 

Laark stood up again as well.  "I will make sure the last of the supplies for the Kurabanda are loaded onto the flyer."  The large alien hoisted his massive club over one shoulder and started off along with Ermorada to finish the preparations.

Share this post


Link to post

Starshot

 

"I hope the fates are with you, Phalen. But I fear they are not"

 

That was all he had to say to Phalen. It was not without sourness, for he did find the decision unpalatable. But he was firm and without regret. It was at least an honest decision, and sometimes that was all a man could make. 

 

"Lets give him what we can spare" he told Soreen. "He has chosen his path, and although it will be a short and brutish one, it is his to make. I would extend him some charity, but a man has to live with the consequences of his decisions, and so shall he"

 

"I think we should now proceed as planned. We must understand what we face, and how to face it. The flyer may be too big for scouting, but it can at least take us partway..."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

GM

 

Soon enough the flyer was loaded and everyone was aboard for the scouting mission.  Moments later, Starshot had them airborn, skimming over the treetops once more as they flew west towards the exit to the cave system where they had first encountered Phalen on their way to the Ul-Mor's Test of True Warriors.  As they flew over the section of forest, Starshot got a better view of one of the floating jellyfish-like creatures that they had encountered on the way towards the pirate outposts.  Like the other one, the strange creature was parked over a Bachanda tree, its long tentacles reaching down to dissolve the foliage of the tree.

 

But it was easy enough to avoid in the fast flyer, and Starshot continued them on their way, over razor grass and volcanic plains until they reached the section of desert in which the location for the Test of True Warriors was located.  Accessing the navigational files within his helmet, Starshot was able to get them back to the caves where they had found Phalen.

 

Soon they had loaded Phalen up with a pack with two weeks worth of rations and water, several other pieces of survival gear as well as a spare blaster pistol and rifle and a few extra energy clips for each.  Phalen walked down the ramp of the flyer to the hot sand, facing toward the cave entrance with a grin on his face.  He then paused a moment and half turned back toward Starshot and the others.  "Thank you."  He stated, before starting over toward the caves.

Share this post


Link to post

Starshot

 

For the briefest of moments, Starshot had the urge to try and persuade Phalen again. He crushed the urge hard ane effectively. No. The decision has been made, the course laid out. He will die, or even live, by the fate he has made for himself. 

 

Without a word he turned back to the flyer. Phalen was better off now than when he had met him. Rations, water, blaster weapons and energy clips. And, if they ever got back to civilisation, perhaps Starshot would alert the authorities to the situation. Maybe a mercy mission could be sent out, and Phalen could be rescued with the right help. 

 

He turned his mind towards the task at hand. 

 

"We don't know how close we can get in the flyer. Time is, I think, on our side, so we shall fly cautiously, park the vehicle under cover, and make the rest of the way on foot" he explained. 

Share this post


Link to post

GM

 

"Sounds good to me."  Laark stated with a nod.

 

Soreen gave a small nod as well as she activated a screen near her seat.  "Yeah, I have a few ideas.  I have been studying the flyer's sensor longs since it has been here and have a pretty good idea where these Edestekai villages are located around the mining base the pirates have set up."  She said as she pulled up a map of the mountains to the northeast.

 

"There are a number of villages within a few kilometers of the base, here in this section of the mountains around it.  I was thinking we could look to the mountains to the west, try to find some place to set down an hide the flyer."

Share this post


Link to post

Starshot

 

Starshot did not jump to conclusions, but studied the map carefully. 

 

"The mountains would be best" he concluded. "We should find good cover, and if these logs are correct we could move inwards towards the villages first, and then the mining base"

 

He straightened up. "The down side to the mountains is the mountains. Tough going on foot" he summised. "But its still our best bet. Lets just make sure we can try to rustle up some mountaineering and climbing equipment. Even rope and axes would do" he said. 

 

"We could try making it back to the Xeno. Its well equipped. And, althuogh its a long shot, we could try digging the ATV out. Your thoughts?"

Share this post


Link to post

GM

 

"It should not take us long to get back to the Xeno"”  Laark stated with a small nod.  "Having quality climbing gear would help with traversing the mountainous terrain."

 

Soreen had a slight frown on her face.  "Well, with the flyer and the extra hands we have aboard, should not be too hard to dig out enough sand to get the ATV out.  But the flyer might have some trouble lifting something that heavy."  She stated.  "And, it is not going to fit in the cargo area, it would have to be suspended beneath the flyer, which will completely throw off its balance and make it rather unwieldy."

Share this post


Link to post

Starshot

 

Was it worth it? 

 

"Lets go then" he concluded. "At least we can get the climbing gear, some rations. If we can dig the ATV out, lets dig it out. We don't necessarily need to fly it out. Distance depending, we can drive it out. It would be good to have, but not necessary". 

 

He would rather be prepared if they could. 

 

"Scouting is best done on foot. But the ATV would be a good comprimise between foot and flyer" he reasoned. "Lets decide when we get there...."

Share this post


Link to post

GM

 

"Well, by my estimate, it is about 400 kilometers from where the Xeno is to the pirates' base, and that is without accounting for the kilometers long lake near the Kurabanda forest that lies right between the two points."  Soreen replied.  "That is a lot of desert, volcanic rock, razor grass and other terrain to try to cross.  I don’t think even the ATV will make particularly good time in trying to traverse all that."

 

Regardless of whether or not the ATV would be of use, there was still the need to travel to the Xeno to gather climbing gear and other supplies.  So the once again Starshot took the flyer up into the air, the flight from the caves to the downed ship not taking particularly long.

 

The Xeno appeared to be in the same condition as when they had left it so many days ago.  If anything, it seemed to be slightly less buried in the sand now than it had been.

Share this post


Link to post

Starshot

 

Which was concerning. 

 

As pleased as he was to see his ship, the fact that there was less sand than more didn't seem to make sense. In fact, it put him on alert. 

 

He pulled out his rifle. Just to be sure. 

 

"Soreen, Laark...be on your guard. It is just possible somebody else is on board". He surely hoped not, but it was a niggling worry. The pirates could have picked up the crash on long range sensors. Even if they shut down the power systems, it was still a big lump of metal in the middle of the desert. 

 

"Just to be on the safe side" he explained, flipping on his rifle and helmet. He gave the ship an X-Ray scan; it wouldn't reach everywhere, for the Xeno, like many star ships, was full of heavy metals. But it would do no harm. 

 

"Lets get the climbing gear. I could do with a few more grenades too. And then check on the ATV, see what we got...."

Share this post


Link to post

GM

 

Both Laark and Soreen readied their weapons as Ermorada and several Kurabanda exited the flyer with them, looking in awe at the Xeno.  Scanning the vessel, Starshot did not see any sign of anyone inside the vessel or any indication that anyone had entered it since he and his crew had set off into the dessert.

 

Now that he studied it a bit closer, Starshot realized that only portions of the vessel were less covered than before, the sand having shifted off them, while other parts were by contrast buried under even more than before.  Looking back at the aft section where the ATV was kept, it was still about half buried, but at least some of the sand had shifted away, meaning it would be a bit less of an effort to dig it out if they so choose. 

Share this post


Link to post

Starshot

 

"Its probably just the shifting sand" commented Starshot. He lowered his rifle, but did not sling it over his back. Better safe than sorry. Or worse, dead. 

 

"But that brings its own problems" he said to Laark and Soreen. "The sand could shift in our favour. Or shift against us. It could even swallow the Xeno". Unlikely, but certainly plausible. 

 

"Lets see what we got. It may be worth taking the ATV, but first things first, lets restock and resupply what we can. Also, we may even be able to effect repairs on the sensor array. Even if the Xeno stays here, we might get a scan" he said, although it was doubtful. The Xeno did indeed have a top end sensor array, but they might be halway round the planet. 

 

"Soreen, see if you can do anything with the sensors. Laark, lets go resupply what we can, and then see about the ATV..."

Share this post


Link to post

GM

 

"I'm on it."  Soreen responded to Starshot’s orders, moving toward the entrance to the Xeno and making her way inside once Starshot and Laark had managed to manually open the hatch.  As Starshot and Laark set off the get some fresh supplies, Soreen made her way down to the ship's engine room to get the power core back online.

 

Starshot and Laark used flashlights to make their way through the somewhat cold and dark corridors of the Xeno.  Although the darkness slowed them slightly, they still knew exactly where to go for the supplies they needed, gathering up several of them before the main interior lights flickered back on as the vessel's core became active once more.

 

The improved lighting helped speed up the gathering of supplies, and soon Laark and Starshot were gathered in the cargo area where the ATV was stored.  The wheeled vehicle was still there, but as Soreen had noted, it was far too large to fit into the cargo space of the flyer they had appropriated from the pirates.

Share this post


Link to post

Starshot

 

Starshot examined the ATV carefully, checking its power supply. It looked functional, at least. 

 

The fact it was too big for the flyer was unsurprising - expected, even - but he was dissapointed. As a hunter, the ATV was an optional extra. He was just as happy on his boots wading through jungle (although the paying safari customers often preferred its convenience!). But he was out of his comfort zone now. He was ending back in a war. And he didn't like wars. 

 

But he was familiar with them. And having every asset he could get his hands on was a good strategy. 

 

He clicked open the radio comms on his helmet. 

 

"Soreen....what's your status? We are clear here. ATV is intact but like you said, we can't get it on the flyer. We have to drive it out. That may take some time given the distance....if we can get the sensor array back maybe we can plot how long...."

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...