Crash on Volturnus (IC)

GM

Athru listened as Starshot gave the vague outline of his plan.  The Ul-Mor will aid Star the Shot and his companions in dealing with the sky-villains.  While others from this world may not be Ul-Mor, they are still part of the One and leave the Ul-Mor in peace, existing in their own areas the Ul-Mor similarly avoid.

Ul-Mor not good at scouting outside the sea of sands, so unsure we could be of aid in Star the Shot's investigation of the sky villains.  We could begin preparations to move to where the sky-villains are.

Athru and those with whom he is One may need to call a gathering of elders to secure passage through portions of the sea of sands controlled by other clans.

The Ul-Mor went quite once more and then added.  Is there anything else Star the Shot needs of Athru and those with whom he is One at this time?

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starshot

Frankly, Starshot was rather overcome with the generosity of the Ul-Mor. No...not quite generosity. Their nobility. 

Your freindship. 

Was all he could answer. He hoped they could sense his admiration, his emotion, as well as his thoughts. 

He relayed the assembling plan to his crew-mates. 

"The Ul-Mor will need to time to gather themselves, their elders. They are from the desert, and whilst they will travel, they are not suited to the forests and plains. I think it is up to us to scout out the pirate camp and the Edestrekai" he explained. "I think our first goal should be to find out what we can about the Edestrekai, and, if possible, their religion...."

He furrowed his brow. 

"This is outside my understanding. I am a hunter, not a psychohistorian" he muttered. "I can observe them and scout the land as good as any, but I am not sure I can understand what I observe. And then there is the matter of communicating with them...." 

He turned to Soreen and Laark. "I don't suppose you studied xenosociology anywhere, did you?"

GM

That you shall always have Star the Shot, for we are One.  Athru replied to Starshot's mention of friendship.  The Ul-Mor then disengaged his tentacle from the space hunter's temple and turned back toward the other gathered Ul-Mor and began speaking to them in their unusual language. 

As the Ul-Mor conversed, Soreen had exited the flyer along with Emorda.  At Starshot's question about xenosociology, she shook her head.  "I only know how to fix things, not the intricacies of alien species and their customs."

Laark shook his head as well.  "I am afraid I will be of little help there as well.  I might be able to make some observations about these Edestrekai, but they might not be very different than those you can make as well."

"Kurabanda will help Starshot as well."  Emorda stated as he moved over as well.  "We should let my father know of our victory and the danger posed by other Sky Devils.  Our tribe has heard the stories of other tribes that have suffered much more from the Sky Devils."

Soreen was looking over at the Ul-Mor as she commented.  "A pity they can only use their telepathy by touching the subject, but still might be the only thing we will have to convince any of these Edestrekai they have been duped."

Starshot

"Its not the best odds, but we will have to do with what we have" replied Starshot, acknowledging the point gruffly. Doubt would be a disease they could ill afford. 

He turned to Emorda. "We should indeed. It is only...polite" he answered. "And a great victory it was. Worthy of celebration!"

Polite it was, but also, perhaps, valuable. A little celebration of well earned victory was in order. Everything had been to rushed in the desert. Time, at least, was (probably) on their side. 

"And maybe there is wisdom and insight to be gained from your father. Those stories would be good to hear..."

A little detour before the scouting, then. And time to set the grav drives towards the forest!

• 4 weeks later...

GM 

With the Ul-Mor set to start their preparations to join in any attack on the pirates Starshot might be able to coordinate, the space hunter and his crew boarded the flier once more with the Kurabanda and the pirate prisoners.  Soon the vessel was rising gracefully into the air and starting off once more over the desert sands.   

Again the travel that had taken several days passed easily below them as they flew out over the razor grass, spotting herds of the large creatures that moved through it as they went.  Soon they were carefully moving through the massive trees of the Kurabanda forest, making their way towards the village they had visited before.   

The arrival of the flying vessel caused a bit of a stir among the Kurabanda, many warriors gathering along the tree limbs and edge of the village to see who might emerge from the craft as it set down.  Emorda made his way cautiously out, identifying himself and letting the village know it was safe.   

Once it was known that the craft was not another attack by the pirates but the return of Starshot and his group, the mood of the village changed immediately, the weapons being lowered and cheers sounding out among the gathered Kurabanda as more made their way out of hiding to greet the returning war party.

Starshot

Starshot was not a warrior. He was a hunter. His time as a soldier for the Nazi's was a scar on his soul. He was dour, but less dour than he might have been. For this was a righteous victory, and the mood was of liberty and celebration rather than iron chains and wailing. He gave some effort to the cheers and salutes, but found himself withdrawing into himself. 

He found himself gazing at the night sky, his mind wandering to those times in Germany, under similar skies but different stars. Of snowy alpine mountains where he was free. 

He looked down again. Yes. As much as he loved the soil on his boots, and the sights and sounds of this planet, he must be free. And so too must its natives. 

He made his way to Emorda. "We should speak with your father. To celebrate is understandable, but the story is not ended..."

GM

Ermorada gave a nod when Starshot found him amongst the celebrations that had begun once the news of their return had been spread.  It was not long before Starshot, Laark and Soreen were gathered in a small hut off one of the main platforms along with Ermorada, a few other Kurabanda warriors and Chief Auramada. 

The old chief was seated in a chair, once again wearing his resplendent headdress made of hundreds of colored feathers.  As before, he wore dozes on amulets, pendants and other pieces of jewelry over his chest.  His keen eyes focused on Starshot once the cover to the hut was closed.

"My son has told us that you were victorious against the demons from sky near the black water.  Now he says Starshot intends to continue to make war against demons from sky in high rocks."  The chief began.  After a momentary pause, he then added, "what does Starshot wish of Kurabanda?"

Starshot

"War...."

No, I don't wish war. A hunt, yes. But war...

He shook his head unconsciously. 

"I never wish war. But the pira...the sky-devils will bring terror on this world, terror and slavery. This, I cannot stand for" he said, gravely. "Nor should you, nor any race that walks under the sky"

"For now, we are going to spy on the sky devils, to see what they are up to. A wise man knows his enemy before he makes war. And that is my intent..."

He grew even graver. 

"But if, or when, war comes, what will you do?" he asked the Chief. 

GM

Auramada listened carefully to Starshot, and then was in quite thought for a moment before looking over to his son before focusing back on the human.  "Kurabanda do not look for war either."  He stated in heavily accented GalStandard.  "Kurabanda prefer to hunt and live in peace."

"But….Kurabanda cannot ignore what demons from sky have done since arriving.  Already some Kurabanda clans have been devastated, in time demons from sky may do same to all."

"My clan is prepared to aid Starshot in war against demons from sky."  The chief finally stated, sitting up straighter, a determined look upon his face.  Beside the old chief, Ermorada had a fierce expression as he nodded in agreement with his father.

Starshot

Hunt and live in peace...my kind of folk!

Starshot nodded gratefully. So, two of the native species of this planet were joined. But one remiained, chained by the clasps of false gods. 

"Then it is time to rest, and..even celebrate" he said. For surely they could afford to wait - rushing this would go ill. Not too long...for the Pirates would surely soon enough start to understand what was happening, and develop their own strategy (and a brutal one it might be). But a days rest, sleeping and eating, would go well. 

"Celebrate not the spilling of blood, but the road towards freedom" he explained. No, he took no joy in death. 

"And then, we must make to the sky pirates again. To see their city with our own eyes..."

Starshot planned to take the small fliers as far as they could go, then travel on foot for the last part of the journey, to scout out the pirates.

First part of the war - understand the enemy....

GM

Chief Auramada gave a nod of agreement as they finished their private council meeting, and they then made their way back out to the festivities outside.  The rest of the evening seemed to burr away as Starshot and his crew joined the Kurabanda in their celebrations.

The next morning, everyone was a bit slower getting up than they might normally be, but soon enough they were starting to gather their supplies for the reconnaissance trip.  Once again Ermorada and a couple of Kurabanda were present to accompany Starshot and his crew.  The Kurabanda had agreed to guard the pirates that had been captured during the raid on the outpost (including a promise not to just execute them).

Now the only question was what to do with Phalen…..

Starshot

Phalen...

The man had bothered Starshot for days now. What was he? Insane? Shell shocked? He had seen, of course, some victims of WW2, but his knowledge of clinical psychology was essentially nothing. He had no idea how to deal with the man. 

One thing was for sure, he didn't think that bringing Phalen on a scounting expedition would be of any use whatsoever. Quite the reverse, probably. The man was dead weigh as it was - but they needed stealth and guile, on this expedition and he would be a liability. 

Still, it was worth trying one more time. 

He approached the man again, and tried his best to be patient and kind. Not his strength.

"So...Phalen...is it?" he started, not comfortable with this. "....how are you holding up?"

• 3 weeks later...

GM

With all the activity of late, Starshot had not paid much heed to Phalen, whom either one of his crew or one of the Kurabanda kept an eye on as they had dragged him along with them through the forest, desert and during the assault on pirate outpost.  Phalen was still mostly withdrawn, muttering at times to himself, but he no longer tried to attack anyone or run away if left unattended.

Kneeling down next to the outcast, Starshot was not able to get him to look him in the eye, but Phalen did mutter something that was more understandable than most of his ravings.  "Phalen must get back to his caves.  Red Devils will find him in the forest.  Red Devils will hurt Phalen again if they find him.”"

Starshot

Starshot decided to try his luck. Who were the Red Devils, in Phalen's shattered mind?

"The Red Devils will find you in the forest, and find you in the caves" he said, firmly, with a false certainty he did not have. "The only way to be free of them is to leave this planet. And you won't leave this planet by hiding in a cave" he said. 

"I can get us off this planet. I can get you off this planet. Once I get my ship back, you have a seat on it. Ill drop you off at the nearest civilized world" right into a psychiatric facility. 

"Who are the Red Devils, and where are they?" he demanded once again, trying to keep his frustration at bay. He had seen shell shock before, and he was not unsympathetic, but Phalen seemed to have lost the backbone of the soldiers he had seen. "I cant protect you from them if I don't know...."

GM

Phalen tried to slink away from Starshot as the space hunter pressed him with questions, but there was nowhere to go.  Still not looking at Starshot, Phalen shook his head as he muttered something of a response.  "Red Devils are in the mountains, the forest, space, everywhere.  But they do not go into my caves."

"Red Devils only care about workers for their mines in the mountains.  They do not try to explore or search my caves."  He then added.  "Phalen want nothing more to do with Red Devils.  Just wants peace of my caves."

Starshot

I'm not getting anywhere. Starshot sighed internally, his face stony and impassive. Despite his frustration, he decided to press again. The Red Devils only care about workers...that at least made half-sense. Slavery. 

"Tell me about these mines, then. What do the Red Devils want in the mountains? Why mine here?" he asked. Perhaps there was some geological peculiarity to this planet. Perhaps some valuable treasure or rare element. Or, most likely, Phalen would not know, or give some incomprehensibly cryptic answer. 

Still, words cost nothing, and it was as well to ask on a slim hope, for one would lose nothing by the asking. 

GM

Though Phalen did his best not to look at Starshot, he could not get away from him, and provided something of a response to the space hunter's questions, even it was clear he did not want to respond.  "Red Devils found vast amounts of rare minerals, vibrillium and tomarillium, in the mountains.  But not enough Red Devils to effectively mine the minerals, so they set about enslaving local species to mine minerals for Red Devils to sell on black market."

"Phalen wanted no part of Red Devils plans and tried to leave, had to fight for his life and fled to burning sands.  Found his way into his caves, which are safe from Red Devils."

Starshot

So, that was it. Vibrillium and Tomarillium mining. 

"What happens when the mountains run out of Vibrillium and Tomarillium, Phalen?" he asked, scratching his jaw stubble, keeping his eyes fixed on Phalen. "Where do you think the Red Devils and their slaves will come next?"

Why were they called Red Devils, he pondered. 

"I bet the caves. Easiest to mine. Tell me, what will you do then? Fight them alone with a depleted blaster rifle and dirty fingernails?" he asked. 

"If I was you, I'd fight them now. At least you have a chance...."

GM

"Fight them?"  Phalen asked, pausing a moment as if he seemed he was in thought.  "Phalen tried to fight them, the Red Devils almost captured and killed him.  He could just barely escape, flying away until he crashed in the burning sands and found his caves."

"If Phalen fights Red Devils again the outcome would be the same, they might capture him this time."  Phalen shook his head.  "Better to hide in his caves. Phalen is safe in his caves.  If Red Devils come to the caves, Phalen find new place to hide."

GM

Starshot stepped back. Phalen was less mad, by his inexpert judgement, but there would be no convincing him on the matter.

"Nevertheless, I will fight them. And I will win. Perhaps then you can sleep more easily" he said. "Go back home, wherever home is. Do you have anyone who is missing you? A place or people to call home?" he asked aloud, gazing at the stars. 

"When I win. I will take you to wherever you may wish to go. No man should hide in caves"

He looked down again. "Even if you will not fight, perhaps you might tell me what you do know of the Red Devils, and how you come to know it? For instance, why are they mining here?"

Edited by Supercape

GM

"Phalen likes his caves.  Phalen safe there."  Was the initial reply, but Phalen seemed to listen to the other questions Starshot asked, and after a brief pause, he replied.

"Red Devils are pirates from far away, seeking prey far and wide.  The Red Devil himself is dangerous and ruthless.  Phalen could not fight him.  Red Devils intercepted cargo transport working for independent prospectors that had found this world, located its prime recourses and began working on mining them.  Prospectors traded with inhabitants of this world, leaving them to their homes."

"First peoples where ones who taught words of those from far sky to Kurabanda."  Ermorada stated in confirmation of Phalen's statements.

"Red Devils killed or drove out prospectors and began enslaving this world's inhabitants to increase the mining operations."  Phalen continued.

Starshot

The Red Devils were the pirates then. A point Starshot had assumed, but was glad to have confirmed. But here was something new. The Red Devil, who was presumably their leader. And some history to go with it. Interesting- possibly academic - but interesting all the same. What had beeen an embryonic trading agreement seemed to have been taken over by a parasitic pirate one. 

And the first peoples - the traders - had taught the Kurabnda. 

Starshot turned to Ermorada. "Are there any of these first peoples left? Maybe they can help. If not with weapons, then with information....?"

GM

Ermorada shook his head at Starshot’s question.  "No, Kurabanda last saw first peoples some time before sky devils arrived.  It has been many seasons."  The Kurabanda replied.

"Red Devils killed most of the prospectors."  Phalen stated again with a shake of his head. 

"It appears they will not be a potential ally."  Laark stated grimly.  "But we have learned a bit more about our enemy."

"Well, we generally knew they were unpleasant."  Soreen stated with a smirk.  "But still, somewhat interesting that they decided to change from pirating to employing slave labor to mine this planet.  Though, I suppose that the risks might be somewhat less given how remote this world is, compared to risking being hunted down by the Lor or Star Knights."

Starshot

"The Star Knights wont help us now" said Starshot. Even the Xeno couldn't send hyperspace comms this far from the galactic hub. 

"It was a long shot, but nothing to be lost by asking. As you say, Phalen gave us a little bit more information. I...don't know what to do with him. He makes my teeth grind. No backbone. But I have seen soldiers in similar shape, even if it was many years ago" he conceded. 

He scratched his chin and his scar. 

"What do you think we should do with him? I am half minded to let him go back to the caves he loves so much. I am not sure what is more cruel - to send him back, or to keep him here..."

• 3 weeks later...

GM

Soreen gave a small shrug.  "Your call I guess.  It would be easy enough to fly back over to the caves we found him in.  Should not take much more than an hour or so round trip."

"It would be helpful to not have to keep watch over him."  Laark chimed in.  "Although, he is not nearly as difficult to deal with now as he is no longer trying to escape any chance he gets.  The larger concern now is primarily he might wander off and get lost, or worse, wonder away and run into some of the pirates when we are closer to them and needing to be stealthy."