Upgrade (PL10) [150/150PP] -- Sophistemon

Upgrade

Power Level: PL10, 150/160PP.

Trade-Offs: -1 Attack, +1 Damage; -1 Defense, +1 Toughness.

Unspent Power Points: 10

In Brief: An agent of AEGIS pilots a walking tank in defense of truth, justice and the American Way.

Residence: Freedom City.

Base of Operations: Lonely Point Navel Base.

Catchphrase: “It's time for a little shock and awe.”

Alternate Identity: Ethan Stone.

Identity: Classified.

Birthplace: Eglin Air Force Base (roughly three miles away from Valparaiso, Florida).

Occupation: AEGIS agent tasked with piloting the XO-9 Armored Mobility Platform.

Affiliations: The USAF, AEGIS, DARPA and the DoD.

Family: Meryl Stone (wife), Lilly Stone (daughter).

Description: Ethan Stone is a tall, athletic man with bright blue eyes, cropped black hair and an easy smile. When on duty as Upgrade he pilots the XO-9 Armored Mobility Platform, an enormous powered exoskeleton designed to showcase all of the very latest in American experimental weapons technology.

Apparent Age: Mid-thirties.

Ethnicity: Caucasian.

Height: 6’1”.

Weight: 185bs.

Eyes: Blue.

Hair: Black.

Power Descriptions: The XO-9 AMP has been equipped with a staggering array of cutting-edge weaponry, nearly impenetrable armored plating, reactive defenses, strength augmentation, supersonic flight and an autonomous repair system – all powered by a uniquely compacted LFTR thorium reactor.

History: Seven years ago USAF pilot Ethan Stone was shot down over enemy territory and spent three weeks trapped behind enemy lines. Despite overwhelming odds he managed to evade capture, sabotage multiple enemy installations and eventually commandeer the aircraft with which he made his escape. His escapade resulted in a recruitment offer from AEGIS and his competency there made him worthy to serve his nation in a new way: as the pilot of the XO-9, soon to be known to the world as Upgrade.

Personality & Motivation: Ethan has dreamed of flying since he was a very small child and his choice of a career in the Air Force was no surprise. Fittingly, Ethan has a light, breezy personality that is backed by a steely, patriotic determination to see things through. As Upgrade he serves as equal parts a superhero and piece of living propaganda designed to show the common American that their government doesn't have to rely on supernatural powers: a man and his machine are more than enough.

Powers & Tactics: Although Ethan doesn't have supernatural powers of his own, he is a highly skilled agent of AEGIS and his training makes him more than a match for most mundane opponents. As Upgrade he has access to an indestructible war-machine equipped with state of the art weapons. In combat Upgrade will position his substantial bulk between his enemies and any noncombatants in the area before attempting to overcome his foes with all of the force afforded to him by superior firepower.

Complications:

Accident: The XO-9 is more of a vehicle than a suit and its size can be disadvantageous.

Honor: As propaganda, Upgrade is expected to conduct himself in a way befitting of a hero.

Responsibility: Upgrade's actions are beholden to the whims of the Department of Defense.

Abilities: 6 + 4 + 6 + 4 + 6 + 4 = 30PP

Strength: 32 (+11) / 16 (+3)

Dexterity: 14 (+2)

Constitution: 16 (+3)

Intelligence: 14 (+2)

Wisdom: 16 (+3)

Charisma: 14 (+2)

Combat: 5 + 0 = 10PP

Initiative: +2 (+2 Base)

Attack: +9 Melee, +9 Ranged / +5 Melee, +5 Ranged

Grapple: +37 / +20 / +8

Defense: +9 (+5 Base, +5 Dodge Focus; +3 Flat-Footed) / +5 (+5 Dodge Focus; +0 Flat-Footed)

Knockback: -12 / -3

Saving Throws: 3 + 4 + 3 = 10PP

Toughness: +11 / +7 / +3 (+3 Con, +8 Protection; +3 Impervious)

Fortitude: +6 (+3 Con, +3)

Reflex: +6 (+2 Dex, +4)

Will: +6 (+3 Wis, +6)

Skills: 44R = 11PP

Acrobatics 4 (+6)

Computers 4 (+6)

Diplomacy 4 (+6)

Disable Device 4 (+6)

Escape Artist 4 (+6)

Intimidate 4 (+6) [+2]

Notice 4 (+7)

Pilot 4 (+6)

Search 4 (+6)

Sense Motive 4 (+7)

Stealth 4 (+6) [-4]

Feats: 12PP

Benefit 1 (AEGIS Agent)

Dodge Focus 5

Equipment 5

Move-by Action

Equipment: 5PP = 25EP

Communicator (0EP)

Tactical Vest (4EP)

Arsenal (21EP Container)

Base Power: Tear Gas Grenade (18EP)

Alternate Equipment: Blaster Rifle (1EP)

Alternate Equipment: Fragmentation Grenade (1EP)

Alternate Equipment: Smoke Grenade (1EP)

Powers: 81 = 81PP

Device 20 (100PP Container; Flaw: Hard-to-Lose; Feats: Restricted 1; Tech, All Tech) [81PP]

• Density 4 (+8 STR, Weight Multiplier x2, Immovable 1, Impervious Protection 2, Super-Strength 1; Extra: Continuous; Flaw: Permanent) [12PP]

• Growth 4 (+8 STR, +1 Size Category [Large: -1 ATK/DEF, +4 Grapple, -4 Stealth, +2 Intimidate, 10ft Reach]; Extra: Continuous; Flaws: Permanent, no CON bonus) [8PP]

• Primary Array (22PP Array; Feats: Alternate Power 3, Dynamic Power 3) [30PP]

• Base Power: Healing 10 (Extra: Total; Flaw: Self-only; Feats: Persistent, Regrowth) [22PP]

• Dynamic Alternate Power: Blast 11 (110-1,100ft) [22PP]

• Dynamic Alternate Power: Flight 11 (25,000mph, 220,000ft/rnd) [22PP]

• Dynamic Alternate Power: Snare 11 (110-1,100ft) [22PP]

• Dynamic Alternate Power: Super-Strength 11 (up to 90 Effective Strength) [22PP]

• Secondary Array (12PP Array; Feat: Alternate Power 1)

• Base Power: Autofire 11 (Blast Extra) [11PP]

• Alternate Power: Penetrating 11 (Blast Extra) [11PP]

• Enhanced Trait 5 (Attack Bonus) + Enhanced Trait 5 (Defense Bonus) [10 + 10 = 20PP]

• Immunity 9 (Life Support) [9PP]

• Protection 6 (Extra: Impervious 1) [7PP]

• Super-Senses 2 (Darkvision) [2PP]

Drawbacks: (-4) = -4PP

Normal Identity (Common, Major)

DC Block

ATTACK RANGE SAVE EFFECT

Blast 11 110ft DC 26 Toughness (Staged) Damage (Energy)

Blaster Rifle 8 80ft DC 23 Toughness (Staged) Damage (Energy)

Frag Grenade 5 50ft DC 15 Reflex Blast Explosion 5

Smoke Grenade ––ft DC –– Reflex Obscure (Visual) 1

Tear Gas 4 40ft DC 14 Reflex Dazzle 4 + Nauseate Explosion 4

Unarmed 11 Touch DC 26 Toughness (Staged) Damage (Physical)

Unarmed 3 Touch DC 18 Toughness (Staged) Damage (Physical)

Totals: Abilities (30) + Combat (10) + Saving Throws (10) + Skills (11) + Feats (12) + Powers (81) + Miscellaneous (???) - Drawbacks (-4) = 150/160 Power Points.

• Pilot 4 (+7) is actually Pilot 4 (+6)
  • We have basically removed the 1EP Commlink.  Per our house rules, you would need to build the Communication power for the commlink, which has some limitations on it.  Although one can buy a 0EP cellphone flavored as a commlink according to those house rules.
  • So  Base Power: Autofire (Blast) 11 [11PP] and Alternate Power: Penetrating (Blast) 11 [11PP] both cost three times that price.  I suppose you could be buying the extras for the blast in the primary array.  Though you'd pretty much be better off just getting them in the primary array then.  Of course it'd bump up the array's rank, but c'est la vie.  If you want to keep it separate it'd help make it less confusing if you make it clear that you're buying the extras for the former.
  • Toughness from Equipment doesn't stack with Toughness gained from Powers.  Meaning he doesn't actually reach his Defensive caps

T

Thanks for your input!

I'll make the corrections shortly.

I set up the secondary array that way because I like the idea of alternate 'weapon modes' that Upgrade can switch through. I suppose that I could add another 11 points to the initial array, if that would be preferable.

I'm sorry for the other mistakes; I can simply decrease the ranks of Impervious to increase the ranks of Protection; that's an easy fix, as is the math on the Pilot.

Edited by Sophistemon
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm so sorry for the delay in posting the changes. I'm on a job-hunt, so filling out new applications takes up a lot of my time.

I've edited the math errors found in the Pilot skill and the Protection power entries.

In Equipment, I've replaced the Commlink with a 0ep 'Communicator' that takes the place of a cellphone. I've used the spare EP to purchase smoke grenades.

I've also taken a look at my arrays. I think that I'm going to leave them 'as is' if that's okay -- I tried it the other way and found that I wasn't able to get the kind of efficiency out of my points that I like.

Plus, having the XO-9 be quite that strong and fly quite that quickly doesn't really appeal to me for some reason; those numbers should be the purview of gods, not machines.

I did, however, go back and edit the entry to make it more obvious that the Extras are affecting the Blast power purchased in the primary array.

Additionally, Vahnyu mentioned that I need another drawback on the Device to qualify for the Normal Identity drawback that I've anti-purchased. He suggested a 'Full-Round Activation' drawback, for a -1 point. Would that work?

Edited by Sophistemon

Points efficiency wise.  There's no difference in overall cost actually if you put it in one array.  Especially since no one would force you to fill out the other array slots in that fashion.   But, like I said nothing rule breaking about how you have it.  So you won't hear mum from me.

That said with Normal Identity, you'd want it to be a -4 drawback.  That way it only takes a full round to get into it.  You can put 5 points if you want.  But it'd take at least a  minute to put it on.  Which if combat has already started that's 10 rounds to don the suit.  That said if it's what you want go for it.

I'm sorry, HGM, I'm really not trying to be difficult. I know that I'm kind of particular about this stuff and I apologize if it's coming across as silly.

I'll go over the sheet and look for a point to shave off so that I can lower the Normal Identity Drawback down to a -4.

Thank you, again, for all of your help.

Edited by Sophistemon

You're not being difficult at all.  You're the one playing the character, you should be the one most satisfied with the result.  I suppose if nothing else it's one way to get around Dynamic Powers limitation on having to put in points to include the modifiers at a minmum when configuring an array.  Only issue seems to be your listed knockback and flat-footed.  I'll go ahead and fix that for you.

APPROVED

• 2 weeks later...