Ace Danger  

Ace plucked the ornate box from where it sat on the floor discarded when its contents were revealed and with a deft gesture folded it neatly flat to tuck away in his coat.  He flashed a too white smile to Eric, "Almost thought you were gonna let him get a hit or two in first."  he half joked as he eyed the doorway and Dimitris nearly finished workings, "Thanks."  he finished earnestly and took a step forward in front of Erik now, "Sorry about the next bit, but can't let her catch sight of what our icy friend is up to."  he apologized with a half shrug as he pulled a small sachet of some silken material bulging with a lightly glowing powder that pulsed with magical potential to those sensitive to such.

"But hey just remember your happy thought and remember second star on the right and straight on till morning."  Ace suggested with a smile and turned as the guards outside the door formed up around their queen.  As she crossed the threshold the immortal adventurer flung the pouch into the air and with lightning reflexes drew and fired an old revolver the slug blasting the fairy dust throughout the room in a flash of magical energies.  Twirling the pistol one Ace returned it to a hidden holster and called out, "Alright then time to go my old friend!"

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM  

The royal guards formed up in a protective phalanx around a diminutive woman in a deeply cowled robe of scintillating purple, even to the uninitiated she pulsed with magical power and dread sorceries of undeath.  Though her skin was pallid it remained trim in a kind of unearthly beauty.  She floated into the room cloak billowing behind her screaming in outrage, "What is the meaning of -"  Before the words left her lips Aces explosion of magical dust filled the room and she cried out in pain, "How DARE YOU!"  Eric could feel the fell energies of the realm gathering to her will to strike them down in her indignant fury.  As the deep cowl fell away it was clearly a much less full of life Taylor Chun who ruled this realm through her potent mystic gifts.  

As she reached out to strike them she saw the portal snap open and her eyes grew wide, "NO!  This power will be mine!"  her voice boomed as if coming from all sides at once as she knocked aside her guards to try and unravel the magic that had been wrought here.

"Oh we have overstayed our welcome, I think," Despite her glib response, Talya neatly sidestepped to put Jack of All Blades firmly between herself and the outraged necromancy flinging vampire. Magic and Talya never mixed well and her caution was heightened with a certain awareness of her condition. Still, she managed to make hiding not look quite so much like hiding although the grip on Jack's belt was firm. Talya did not intend to end up on her butt with whatever sort of unpleasantness was in store for leaving this realm. Dropping into it had been bad enough but she rather imagined the flight would be ever so much worse with the dimension fighting to hold onto them. 

"You have the worst taste in vacations, Ace Danger," she scolded from her spot behind Jack's shoulders, apparently intent on scolding until the portal tossed them hither and yon. "Throwing fairy dust at necromancers. Are you trying to give everyone a headache?"

The gateway rippled open behind Dimitri, the dimensional doorway solid enough but covered in an ominous, slick-looking red sheen. It looked like a pool of blood hanging on its side in space rather than flat against the ground. Boiling to his feet in an eruption of freezing white mist, Comrade Frost declared, "Women and children first! Not so fast, Danger!" He and Ace stood, shoulder to shoulder, blocking the way between the dark reflection of Taylor Chun and their all-too-human compatriots. "Hey, lady," he declared, "if you're so fancy-schmancy, come on and have a go with two hardest men in Freedom!" He struck his hands against his chest, looking at Ace Danger for support. "Or is little girl like you afraid men will know how to keep you in line, hmm?" 

Wincing noticeably from the maelstrom of malevolent power whirling about their less than gracious hostess, Jack took a cautious step back as Dimitri announced that the portal was open. "What are-- Oh. I'm the 'children' part. Hilarious." Despite the flat tone it was clearly going against his every natural impulse not to charge into battle before their opponents could get any more organized. One look back over his shoulder at Talya, however, and his jaw set resolutely, the swashbuckling joker washed away by the father and partner.

The violet flames dissipated from his hand, leaving fingers spasming slightly from phantom pains as the dark magics tried to retain their grip. "C'mon, cielo. I've seen the good version when she gets going, this isn't a fight we want." Putting an arm protectively around Talya's shoulders he moved them toward the gateway, teeth grinding as he heard Dimitri and Ace stalling for time behind them.

Ace  

With a smirk Ace shrugged his shoulders at Talyas question, "I have it on good authority everyone needs a little more glitter in their lives."  he countered and slowly turned to face the outraged necromancer and ensure the 'women and children' made it through first.  Slanting a glance to his old soviet ally, enemy, and now friend he let out a small laugh, "Still got a way with the ladies I see."  he remarked with amusement.  Turning his full charm on the vampiric sorceress standing before them he softened his features, "Sorry love.  It would never work out between us."  he apologized earnestly earning an even more outraged glare as the sorceress vampire queen summoned a growing sphere of necrotic darkness between her hands.  Turning on his heel to make a stylish exit he slipped in some of the pooled blood and tumbled forward knocking his rescuers through the portal and hopefully to safety as the Dark Phantom Queen unleashed an unholy armageddon upon the the castle they had been in moments before.

The swirling gateway deposited the group of heroes elsewhere - on the deck of a Norse longship that floated on a sea of stars rather than a sea of water. There was no sign of a crew on the drakkar, only a wizened old giant whose eight feet in height made him practically a dwarf among the jotunn. Dimitri immediately began an animated conversation with the elderly giant, whose rusted helm and long, bone-white mustache made him look like he'd been standing there on the deck for an age. As the vampire and giant spoke in vigorous Old Norse, with much arm-waving and gesticulating, the group was able to take a look at the structure of the empty vessel and realize that they were standing on a ship made not of wood, not of bone, but what appeared to be some organic materials pressed together with great force into the shape of planks and carved vessel parts. 

The sail, painted with a beautiful woman's face that was half-cast in shadow, was clearly woven out of tightly-bound hair; there was no actual paint on the hair, just multi-colored strands of fiber. 

Frost came back to the others with a ready smile on his face, clapping his hand together even as the ship's captain made a gesture in the air and began chanting. "Great news! Hyrm can give us ride to waters of Freedom City, no troubles!" As he spoke, the night sky around them was already beginning to fade and warp, the gradual outline of a shoreline beginning to form as out of a deep fog. "Yes, no political troubles at all, most likely. If any of you have troubles with Asgardians after this date, you just send them to Frost, eh?" He grinned as a shoreline rippled into being alongside them, looking like one of the usually empty beaches near Lonely Point, the sand there too rocky to encourage the tourists. 

Talya stumbled out onto the deck of her ship, the grip on Erik's belt a stabilizing her from an ignominious fall as her heel caught between things better left unexamined on the deck. "No more magic portals until after the babies are born," Talya complained as she released Erik's belt to lean on the railing, with the borrowed coat still around her shoulders. Glancing over at Erik, she realized that he was still sans shirt and while she had no complaints about the view, loitering around Dimiri's magic with nothing but boots and breeches couldn't be too comfortable. Reaching up to pull the coat from her shoulders, she held it out with a ghost of her usual stunning smile, "You dropped this."

Her hand went back to the railing once it was free and she turned that blue-eyed gaze on two men that might as well have been brothers, if not of blood. She pointed one finger at Dimitri, "No more age jokes about this spouse," she said firmly, gesturing between Ace and Dimitri, "I have years of ammunition on you both. Years. I'm sure you have other things to spar over verbally for the next several decades without it."

Erik started to suggest Talya keep the coat for the time being but noticing that the cold was already having a perceptible affect on his exposed torso he relented and swung the heavy garment over his shoulders. "Thanks, cielo. Would have hated to leave this behind." He moved to stand beside her at the railing, not too subtly checking her for any signs of injury or strain while attempting not to pay too much attention to the boat beneath their feet.

He looked amused at the dressing down she gave the other immortals, though he did sigh and mutter, "I really need to hang out with people who don't think aging is weird. We're pretty sure Phant-Vamp back there won't want to try following up home, yeah? And you need to talk to that captain guy, back with the magic robots and stuff, man!" Remembering why they'd been looking for Ace in the first place he exchanged a look with Talya. "Uh. Later, though."

Ace  

Ace caught his balance as they found themselves on the rocking deck of a longboat of material best not thought long on.  Glancing around and straightening his hat he nodded politely to Dimitri, "I'll keep that in mind if they com asking about that mead cauldron thing again."  he replied with a smile and laugh.  He ambled to the side to peek over the edge and watch as the fog lifted and the 'seas' below retreated from the unfathomable darkness to the deep blue of the atlantic, "Besides not like they have room to complain about our doings after their antics last they visited."  he pointed out with a shrug.

Walking back toward Talya and Erik he shook his head, "Oh no she's very interested, "S'why she wanted to hang onto my goods and services and what not."  he assured them blankly, That's why I had to blind the magic senses so she couldn't see where we went!" he declared proudly and looked between them with a smile, "I-"  he paused as the captain was brought up, "Ah yes most likely,"  he agreed and patted his pocket where his book was lodged before quirking a brow, "So he was able to get word to you all after all!"  he said brightening, "I do appreciate the whole calvary riding in thing."  he suggested appreciatively and with a grin added, "You all owe me one less now."  flashing a winning smile that had derailed many an outraged compatriate in the past.

Dimitri glanced at Talya, then at Erik, and Talya could practically see the calculation on his face from long experience. "Of course, of course." He shook his head and focused on Ace, waiting until Hyrm and Nagflar had left them all alone again on the rocky beach before he spoke. He would let Talya speak of pregnancy and romance later. "Danger, is your father." He did not insult Ace by giving him the details - or assuming Ace would not be able to guess the magnitude of the situation. "Come come, I will call car, we will see him," he said, brooking no arguments as he turned and marched away from the beach, reaching into his pocket to pull out his well-insulated personal cellphone. 

"You'll want to return this to him next time you see the man," Talya commented from where she was standing by the railing still. Pulling out the book, from who knows where, she flipped it through the air at Ace. "Or not. Really, your choice. I think he thinks you're actually dead-dead, truth be told, despite our assurances to the contrary."

Talya did not volunteer that she'd stolen it. That, after all, was a given. "I have a letter from your family which I'm not sure I'm giving to you, for the record. Your family communicates terribly and this is really no exception." Which meant that at some point Talya had paused to read the 'private letter' from Ace's father. She'd known the family a rather long time and held little love for the patriarch. "He's dying, Ace. For real, for good, and I don't think there's much time left. You're one of my oldest friends which is why I hope you understand that I will absolutely and sincerely let Dimitri and Erik drag you to see your father before its too late. I think it would be best, though, if you went of your own accord."

She tipped her head to the side, her voice surprisingly gentle despite the content of her words, as she volunteered Dimitri and Erik for possible physical altercations. "You know I'm doing it for you, not for him."

Ace  

Ace stared for a long moment at Dimitris revelation almost missing the book as talya threw it.  It hung in his limp grasp as he let out a slow sigh his face a fixed impassive mask for a long moment.  Turning to talya finally he shook his head, "No need, I'll come along peaceably."  he assured her sparing a smirk for her baby daddy with a wink and hollowly flirtatious, "We'll have to find a less somber occasion for the wrestling sad to say."  

Trudging up the beach toward the street he was uncharacteristically quiet, shoulders hunched and hands clenched in his pockets.  Despite his words his body language said in every way he was ready to sprint away in hopes of escape.  Of course if that had been his intent he'd likely not telegraph it so clearly.  It didn't take long for a spacious if nondescript dark blue sedan to arrive, perhaps they had been dispatched in advance when the longships arrival was noted, or Danger industries had cars around the city waiting for their return,  either really was possible.  Ace silently sat in the back seat arms crossed as he waited for the others to get in staring for a long moment at talya he sighed, "I'd expect no less of you, I don't need hte letter I'm sure I'll hear all I need from him soon enough."

Edited by angrydurf
  • 2 weeks later...

Talya settled herself in the seat, taking up one of Ace's hands in her own. Her brow creased faintly, her expression pensive, "Dearest, I know - we all know - how hard it is to face the death of a loved one. It's better to have a chance to say your farewells, though it might not feel like it at the time. Pain subsides but the regrets linger on of things unsaid, paths untaken."

She sighed, squeezing the immortal adventurer's hand once before she released him to lean back in her seat. Talya laced her hands atop the swell of her stomach, all too aware that there was no way of knowing if one day she'd watch her own children grow old and fade. "You have to stop running, Ace. I'm so very sorry." Never did immortality feel a heavier a burden than days like this.

• 2 weeks later...

The Freedom League sent a car - after a moment's consideration, Dimitri gave the civilian League employee a sizable 'tip' and took the driver's seat, making sure there was room enough for everyone on board, and privacy for all. He started it up, loaded everyone on board, and headed off down the street towards the Danger mansion. He tilted the rearview mirror so he could watch the others, having put Ace and Talya in the backseat and Erik next to him. He was dead silent for the first several minutes, thoughts processing internally, before he turned to Erik and declared "So! Is pretty awkward, eh, man so young and all these ancient people with their many problems! Would be easier if we were all fighting over which big band leader was the best, eh?" He winked. "Was Glenn Miller, by the way, whatever they tell you!" 

Erik had been conspicuously quiet since the news about Ace's father had been delivered. What initially might have been played off as a respectful silence had stretched into the car ride and it wasn't difficult to guess what was on his mind. He could practically feel the immortals in the car watching the sand run through his proverbial hourglass and while he'd never been one to dwell overlong on the idea of his own death the thought of the people he'd be leaving behind gave him pause. Even if he didn't meet an untimely end - unlikely given his lifestyle - what of old age, when he'd look to be Talya and Min's withered grandfather? Worse, if the children were as mortal as he was... It was probably fair to say Ace wasn't dealing with the situation well but the swordsman didn't imagine there was any good way to do so.

When Dimitri addressed him he muttered a distracted, "Sure, yeah. Lots of problems," and continued to stare out the window.

"So I have heard."  Ace glibly replied to Talyas concerns and let out a sigh, "I am so very good at running you know."  he smirked but the light wasn't there he was not able to stir his full devil may care persona, not for this.  Smirking at Dimitris personable if intentionally awkward small talk the old adventurer shook his head, "Mingus and don't let these old timers tell you otherwise."  he scoffed with a hint of a smile though it did not last and he settled in to finish the short journey to the Danger Estates in contemplative silence.

As they pulled up to the large circular drive a somber crowd moved to meet them, an appreciative Rachel Danger at the lead, "Uncle Ace."  she greeted warmly as she hustled him away from his cohorts, "Grandfathers upstairs waiting for you."  turning back to the others she graciously welcomed them into the manor and saw too it they were offered refreshment.  As Ace entered his father's sickroom she turned warmly to Talya, Eric and Dimitri, "I can't express our gratitude."  she intoned softly, "Our family owes you all a debt for your service."  she insisted and looked to each of them, "Do not hesitate to ask should any of you need call upon us, My uncle need not even know."  she added with a hint of a knowing smile aimed at Talya and Eric in particular.

• 2 weeks later...

Talya waved the offer off with exactly the right degree of faint smile for the offer to cover any personal emotions about the passing of their friend's father. "No, no. But thank you. Please, I'm sure you want to be with your family. We'll be fine." Talya murmured with the polish upper-class manners she had so painstakingly acquired. At this point they were as ingrained as if she'd grown up with them herself. As Rachel was coaxed away to family business, she turned to the two men who'd seen her through this rather long and arduous errand.

"Thank you," she said simply to Dimitri and Erik, not elaborating further. She had, however, noticed the swordsman's distraction and uncharacteristically taciturn behavior since they'd gotten out of the midst of things. His actual name was on the tip of her tongue but Talya had been at this too many years to make so simple a mistake, "Dearest," she said, the touch on his arm making it clear which man she was trying to get the attention of. Talya wasn't entirely certain whether it was the recent magic or the current situation that had stolen Jack of all Blades' tongue.

"Everything alright?" Talya asked, her other hand dropping down to rest on her stomach. 

"Yeah, yeah, of course," Erik responded quickly, doing an admirable job of looking nonchalant for a masked man with only his coat over the notable absence of his ruined shirt. When he actually met Talya's eyes he deflated noticeably, offering a small shrug. "Well, okay, I mean obviously not really. I get what the attitude's about, y'know." He glanced over to where Frost was standing before turning back to the blonde woman. "Bottom line, I'm a ticking time bomb for something like half of the people I care about, yeah? And you can never really tell with healing powers and regeneration, really and I think the new girl has a time thing going on or something? I wasn't really paying attention when she explained..."

Catching himself beginning to ramble he instead placed a gloved hand over his eyes with a brief grumble. "Anyway. Nothing I didn't already know it just sucks to have somebody point out when you're being a selfish prick. Also I might still throw up from all the vampire planet magic." He dropped his hand and gave her a wan smile. "This is Ace's... thing, not trying to make it about me, honest. How're you holding up? Should we get one of the eggheads to check the twins?" The fencer's stepped a little closer, instinctively moving as thought to shield Talya's midsection with his own body.

Approaching, Dimitri looked from Talya to Erik and back again for a moment or two, then seemed to change course from whatever it was he'd been about to say. "I am doctor," said Dimitri, "and that is probably good idea. You never know what things can shape child in womb." He scratched his chin, then turned to Erik. "Pardon just a moment, Erik, need to speak to my friend on urgent matter." He'd opted not to share his thoughts about immortality with the younger man - this was not the time for that. 

Turning back to Talya, he switched to Russian to ask, "Why didn't you tell me you were pregnant?" He threw his arms wide. "In the Devil's name, Natalya, we've been friends for seventy years and I am your...your occasional physician, when there are no human physicians about," he conceded. "I know you play your cards close to the vest, but for pity's sake, you told me you were going to prison before you went in!

Talya had opened her mouth to respond when Dimitri's exclamations in Russian forestalled what she might have said. "Mitya," she said, her tone conciliatory. She remained where she was standing at Erik's side, her Russian fluent and flawless. Reaching out one slender hand towards Comrade Frost, "We grew up in a different time. I haven't told anyone. Even with my reputation, even fully content with the particulars of my situation, can't you see that it isn't the easiest thing to bring up? Even my silver tongue can only do so much with, 'So, I'm pregnant and the father is married to someone else'."

She waved one hand absently. Dimitri, after all, had been there for her transition from Natalya Browning, loyal officer in the army, to Bombshell, femme fatale. The articles had been salacious. Once, it had bothered her. "It isn't like that - of course it isn't like that - but still. I am happy about it - I am, truly - and I am sorry." Talya let her fingers find Erik's then, bringing his hand up so that he could feel the insistent outrage of one foot thumping against her ribs. 

"I'm fine - we're all fine. Angry, and apparently with a great future in football, perhaps, but fine." Talya replied reassuringly to them both, before adding to Erik, "And you are many things, my love, but rarely selfish. It's not exactly your fault that you happen to keep company more with those cursed with immortality, than not."

"Maybe I understand Russian, you don't know," Erik grumbled under his breath, letting Dmitri have his conversation. He didn't need to be fluent to get the gist of what was being said; the draugr was an emotive speaker to say the least. Still, picking up some books on tape to get some basic phrases under his belt was starting to seem like a good idea.

Once they were finished he let out a long breath with an expression that said he wanted to argue the point on selfishness but not just then. "You guys do tend to gang up some," the swordsman noted with a flat look in Frost's direction. Kneeling down he placed a hand gingerly on Talya's stomach. "Hey, no stabkicking your mum, yeah? Who do you think she's going to take it out on?"

"Ah, I still can't believe it..." Dimitri looked at Talya's abdomen for a moment, then put his hands in his pockets and looked away, composing himself. "There has never, and there shall never be, a time that I judge you. I am happy for you, Natalya." By the time he looked back, he was composed. "To see life come from one of us, after all we have seen, is a beautiful thing." It was considerably more sentimental than he usually got in front of strangers, but he supposed Erik didn't count as a stranger at the moment.

"...the incineration!" He snapped his fingers, a triumphant look on his face. "That's what it was! Ace's old curse must have been reset by incineration by shadows! Ah, fascinating! You know, this could be worth some study," he opined, an excited look on his face. "Many of the lady magic practitioners want to have children but are worried about the terrible curses and children with wings and what have you, so there is much professional market for talk of ferteelity of various sorts." He grinned at Erik. "And you too, fellow, such interest there may be!"

Talya covered Erik's hands with her own; a domestic gesture that very few people would have been allowed to see. More than anything else, it telegraphed the level of her trust with Comrade Frost. The smile on her features was one of the rare ones normally reserved for when she was hidden away at home. She laughed at Dimitri's comment about 'interest' in Erik. "I keep teasing him that his family must have some fertility charm worked on their line." Talya commented with a chuckle, "But while our third might be more than happy for descendants to be spread far and wide, I think four might be about his limit for genetic contributions."

Her red lipped smile turned teasing for Erik briefly before she slanted her gaze up towards Dimitri once more, "As to judgement, I know, dear one. You have only ever been my stalwart supporter. Still, it was not something one would talk about in our youth. Your respect; it matters. When I started to let anyone know, I would have started with you."

Talya dropped her gaze down to the hand on her stomach. It was still such a new thing. Talya was very good at keeping up with the times but months did not have the same sort of weight they once did as her life stretched on. With her free hand she touched Erik's cheek then, running her thumb along the edge of his mask in a subtle, tender gesture. "I'm sorry, my dear, though I have little doubt you'll pick up the language in short order."

Edited by alderwitch
  • 3 weeks later...

"Congratulations, that was the longest it has ever taken an immortal to go from meeting me to making some reference, veiled or otherwise, to my junk," Erik sighed with the weariness of a man who had come accept very specific trials as part of his day to day life. "Well, not counting Fleur but she was dating her asshole ex when we met and Willow brought it up with her eventually anyway." He raised his hands as he got back up from his crouch. "It's a pattern, s'all I'm saying. And if you ever meet my old man's side of the family the fertility charm thing is going to seem a lot less comically wacky, cielo." He placed his hand overtop of Talya's as she touched his face, offering a small smirk.

Looking off in the direction the object of their dimensional quest had gone he made a sound of consideration in the back of his throat. "Are we waiting for Ace? Seems like something that might take a while but if you want to be here when he's done, I get it. Pretty lousy situation." Given the importance Erik placed on family and what might have been called an overabundance of empathy he didn't have to exaggerate his concern, any past friction between himself and the adventurer easily set aside for the moment.