A Very Unlikely Assembly [OOC]

Vaalus

It looks like I just miss hitting the Norseman and the skinhead he's fighting, though I get just about everyone else. The standard action is to re-activate the Gravity Control with new targets (everyone and everything I can see within range except for the canister); the move action is to pick up the canister.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to make some things clear. First off, the canister is still within the truck, though the doors are open. Icarus needs to make a DC 15 notice check to notice that the canister has been cracked. A Dc 20 notice will reveal the extent of the damage to the canister.

Ah, no problem. My usual assumption is that if something is described without asking for a skill check, it can be sensed without one.

Thankfully, I rolled extremely well (22), so I don't think I'll need to re-write my action. Let me know if this isn't the case.

It is fine. No need to rewrite your post other than it's going to take you an extra movement to get into the truck to get the cansiter. I'll PM the information you learn about the crack.

Norseman manages to stagger his foe. Shui knocks out his opponent. Colton is skipped due to no post. Icarus brings down everything effecting the buildings with his gravity pull. two buildings are weakened structurly while one is brought down completely. Icarus also reaches the container and notes the damage to it has sustained. He can grab it in Rnd 11.

INITIATIVE

Norseman 22

Shui 14

Colton 8

Icarus 6

Thugs

COMBAT INFO

Name -- PL -- Attack -- DEF -- Damage -- Tough -- Fort -- Ref -- Will

Icarus -- PL 12 -- Attack +8 -- DEF 18 -- Damage +13 (blast at full power), +14 (punch)-- Tough +16 (6 Imp)-- Fort +13 -- Ref +7 -- Will +11

Shui - PL 10 - Attack +5 - Def +5 - Damage +10 (Blast + Knockback 7/Indirect 3)

Strike +10 (Linked Nauseate +10) - Tough +10/2 (2 without force field) - Fort +7 - Ref +7 - Will +6

Norseman -- PL 10 -- Attack +7 (Melee)/+9 (Sword), -5 (ranged) -- DEF 15/12 Flat-Footed -- Damage +5 punch, +10 Sword, +10 Sword (Auto-Fire) -- Tough +14 (Impervious & Reflective 9) -- Fort +10 -- Ref +5 -- Will +15 (+5 if stunned)

Colton Browning -- PL10 -- Attack +5 (+10 ranged)-- DEF +6 (+3 flat-footed)-- Damage Varies by weapon-- Tough 14-- Fort 9-- Ref 9-- Will 6

NPCs

Minion Skinheads-- PL 4 -- Attack +4 -- DEF +4 -- Dmg +4 -- Tough +4 -- For +5 -- Ref +3 -- Will +1

[submachine guns dam +4, Balistic. Autofire] [unarmed]

Powered Thugs -- PL 8 -- Attack +6 -- Def +6 -- Dmg +10 -- Tough +10 [impre 3] -- For +10 -- Ref +5 -- Will +4

[Melee damage, Power attack, various powers ]

ROUND 11

Hey MBCe,

My Gravity Control is Subtle, so I think that the Norseman should have to make a Notice check to determine that I was the cause of the sudden gravity increase. Granted, I am the most likely suspect, but if he can tell automatically, then there's really no reason for me to have bought Subtle.

Hey MBCe,

My Gravity Control is Subtle, so I think that the Norseman should have to make a Notice check to determine that I was the cause of the sudden gravity increase. Granted, I am the most likely suspect, but if he can tell automatically, then there's really no reason for me to have bought Subtle.

You right, he does need to make a notice check. To save time, I'll do the roll now.

Notice check DC 20 (1d20+9=21)

And it looks like he has it.

But this does bring up a point. The subtle feat makes a power more difficult to detect its usage but the results are still noticeable, right? So far Norseman has seen Icarus do a number of groundstrikes, knocking people to the ground. The cause and result is easy to see. A physical hit of the ground causes the results. The source of the power is clear. Now my question is does the subtle feat hide the source of the power, the power itself, or both?

I think it depends on the power itself. A mental effect like Mind Control is Subtle, and that means that an onlooker generally can't tell who did it, or that a power was used. With Gravity Control, it just means that the energy that Icarus is manipulating isn't noticeably emanating from him (at least, not without a check). The effect itself is easily seen if it works on a target - they do fall to the ground, or start to bend and buckle.

Now, if he were the only super-villain in an area, dressed in his battlesuit, and everyone in an "X"-foot radius around him fell down to the ground, it'd quickly be obvious that he did it. However, if he were disguised as a normal person, or there were other super-people around, or he only chose some people within that radius, people would have to use deduction to tell that he was the one.

I just figured that in the chaos of battle and other super-powered baddies around, he would have enough figurative cover that a successful Notice check would be needed. It doesn't matter too much - he was planning on making a quick getaway once the building began to crumble anyway.

For part of my action, Icarus is making a Notice check to see if anyone was/is caught inside the building. I think that's a move action since I'm taking time to do it; the rest of my turn will depend on what I see. Unfortunately for Icarus, he only got an 11.

• 4 weeks later...

Shui hits and staggers the thug. Icarus maanges to release the buildings from his effect and hfind no lifesigns in the downed building.

Icarus also hears the sound of water hitting the sid eof the truck.

The norseman and Colton remain stunned.

INITIATIVE

Norseman 22

Shui 14

Colton 8

Icarus 6

Thugs

COMBAT INFO

Icarus -- PL 12 -- Attack +8 -- DEF 18 -- Damage +13 (blast at full power), +14 (punch)-- Tough +16 (6 Imp)-- Fort +13 -- Ref +7 -- Will +11

Strike +10 (Linked Nauseate +10) - Tough +10/2 (2 without force field) - Fort +7 - Ref +7 - Will +6

Norseman -- PL 10 -- Attack +7 (Melee)/+9 (Sword), -5 (ranged) -- DEF 15/12 Flat-Footed -- Damage +5 punch, +10 Sword, +10 Sword (Auto-Fire) -- Tough +14 (Impervious & Reflective 9) -- Fort +10 -- Ref +5 -- Will +15 (+5 if stunned)

Colton Browning -- PL10 -- Attack +5 (+10 ranged)-- DEF +6 (+3 flat-footed)-- Damage Varies by weapon-- Tough 14-- Fort 9-- Ref 9-- Will 6

NPCs

Powered Thugs -- PL 8 -- Attack +6 -- Def +6 -- Dmg +10 -- Tough +10 [impre 3] -- For +10 -- Ref +5 -- Will +4

ROUND 12 ---

I was hoping to see a post from the other two players in the thread, but I guess they are busy or not interested in finishing the story. Sorry for the hold up.

I'll advance now.

No problem MBCE. I've been playing on small Play-by-post sights for almost 3 years now, and I usually find only about 1-2 new arrivals for the year actually stays on the sight, the rest usually stay for a few months before dropping away. But of cores that is just my observations from another sight. ;)

Shui's attack hits, but is unable to further damage the down thug. Tough DC 25 (1d20+10=29)

Icarus feels the van rock more from the water blast.

Colton decides to follow the Thug that got away.

Norseman follows after the Thug that ran last round.

One of the thugs manages to stand. Str check DC 22 [10+gravity control (12)] (1d20+12=28, 1d20+12=14)

INITIATIVE

Shui 14

Icarus 6

Thugs

COMBAT INFO

NPCs

ROUND 13 ---

My power stunt uses my half of my Power Reserve to be Force Field 6 (Extras: Affects Others +1, Impervious +1; Others Only -1). I still have Flight 1 that I'm using to head east along the map. Icarus' hope is that the thugs will hold up Shui more than they do him, allowing him to make his escape. I haven't yet spent a hero point to remove the fatigue (I'm not even sure if I have one), so that factors into my attack and defense.

No new map. If Shui does something to try to stop Icarus then we get to continue. The Skin heads have had enough and will be running next round. Ball's in Shui's court. Right now, Icarus is still within range of Shui but next round I doubt that he will be. Shui can deal with the remaining Skinheads if he wants.

Right now, the Thugs are out of the fight. It's a chase between Shui and Icarus at the moment.

With Icarus moving only at Flight 1 and Shui moving at Speed 2, Shui will catch him fairly quickly. What he does then is up to him. As for Icarus, he can try to lose Shui by doing opposed Dex checks.

This way will be simpler than using power ranks and so forth as speed isn'T the problem.

For each 5pts over the other, equals a success. Icarus needs 5 success to get away.

Everytime Shui wins a success, lowers the successs that Icarus has gained. Total of 0-2 successes means both players are in range of each other. 3-4 means slightly out of sight and unable to affect the course.

• 2 weeks later...

I rolled a couple of times in that last post to help speed things up a little. The first 12 left him with a net score of 0 successes toward getting away. Shui can make three rolls and compare them to my next three all at once. He won't be able to catch me, but he could get a lot closer (especially with the low numbers I'm rolling).

Based on our relative Dex modifiers, we'd probably have to roll for a very long time before we get a string where one of us has five successes more than the other. I think that from what you're saying, Shui is nearly next to Icarus if I have a net negative number. I'm ok with saying that Shui catches me before I try to make a last-ditch effort to escape with one of my powers. Then we can continue the overall storyline after finishing this thread up. Does that sound good to you two?

Same here. I'm on the back burner here as it is just the two of you in the thread now. If you need me for anything else, let me know. YOu can play out the interaction with each other any way you wish as the Skinheads will not be able to do anything against you.

I'll still be watching the thread so if something pops up, I'll be right on it.

Icarus is power stunting for what will hopefully be the last time in this particular fight. This moves him from fatigued to exhausted. The power stunt is as follows:

Power Reserve 9 (inside device) becomes

AP: Spatial Control 9 (Extra: Accurate; Flaw: Long Range Only)

Icarus teleports to the Pyramids, figuring that a desert would be the best place to make a stand against a water hero if the hero can teleport somehow.

Kavos, I was figuring we could end this fight here. Icarus still has other things to steal, and one of them is a glass tank from the aquarium. If that isn't a place that Shui could put up a great fight, I don't know what is.

Well, unless Shui can think of a way to follow Icarus, I'd have to agree the encounter is pretty much over. Shui can put up a concluding post before the thread gets locked down so there's still one more chance for Shui to keep this alive if he wants.

Ball's in your court Kavos.