He Danced with Me

Alex threaded her hand through Mike's arm, measuring her stride to his. "That would be lovely," Alex agreed with undiminished enthusiasm, a bright smile lighting her features. With her free hand, she gestured animatedly as she discussed the highlights of the show in glowing terms with the usher as they made their way down. Although she could manage professional and polished when needed, she felt no need to dampen her enthusiasm for public perceptions. "I especially enjoyed the blocking. It's been a long time since I've seen the live show, I admit, but I think this was every bit as engaging as ten years ago."

Her heels clicked softly on the floor, the little skip in her step that Mike knew meant she was resisting the urge to float rather than walk.

Mike comfortably laid a hand over her own on his arm and carefully measured his steps to Alex's own as the followed the usher.  The older man smiled at her enthusiasm, "We are quite pleased you enjoyed the show Mrs. Albright."  he intoned politely as he led them down and around to the backstage where cast and crew relaxed around drinks and food.  One of the shows producers caught sight of them and the Ushers signal and quickly stood to introduce himself and offer an introduction to cast and crew, "Deckard Tate." he spoke warmly with the slight ingratiating tone Alex had learned to expect form such meetings.  "Ladies and Gentlemen a moment?"  he called out as the crew quieted, "May I introduce the trustees guests of honor Mr. and Mrs. Albright."  

The crew quieted for the introduction then broke off into groups to greet the VIP pair in smaller more intimate conversation.  Mike for his part was careful to refer most of the conversation Alexs direction though he was quick to praise hte performance and the play itself as a favorite since his childhood.  A short while later as the cast and crew slowly filtered off to change and take care of the sundry needs of the post show one of the stage crew offered to have their car brought around while they finished their conversations, When the couple demurred he suggested that the cast entrance behind the theatre might be a less crowded point of egress perhaps noticing Mikes discomfort with the small throng of thespians.

Edited by angrydurf

"Thank you," Alex agreed, threading her arm through Mike's once more with a sunny smile as she was used to her more introverted compatriots limits. With another round of pleasantries and assuring them of her satisfaction with the evening once more, Alex nodded towards the door and fell into easy step with Mike as they went to exit the backstage into the winter evening. Alex tucked her coat a little more tightly around herself and leaned into the warmth that Mike offered at her side. 

"We could send the car back home and take the scenic route," Alex suggested as the door shut behind them, tipping her head up to take in Mike's profile. "It's a nice night for it - chilly but not unbearable."

"Yes thank you." Mike replied gratefully and flashed a smile at Alex he generally felt oversize and claustrophobic in crowds and rarely felt he had much to add to conversations such as these as happy as he was to see her relaxing among the cast.  Stepping out into the slight chill of the winter night he wrapped a hand around her shoulders to let her lean into him.  He didn't really feel the cold, at least not with context as to what was too cold for those more vulnerable to normal temperature ranges and raised a brow at her assertion, "You know it gets colder up there."  he whispered gently as he glanced up considering it clearly, "And I drove remember you'd have to send some out to fetch the car, as generous as AEONs compensation is that isn't something we need to send your staff out to deal with."  he countered with a shrug, "I guess I could come back and get it tomorrow we're already paying the overnight rate."  he considered out loud as if the difference between the eight dollars for a couple hours and the twenty four for the overnight had real meaning for those in Alex and by extension his own tax brackets.

Distracted by the company and conversation Mike at least took no notice of the nervous behavior of the pair of men walking towards them until they drew up blocking the couples advance.  As Mike and Alex came to a stop before the less underfed sickly looking of the pair held up a hand and pulled a snub nose revolver from his waistband aiming it roughly at Mikes broad chest from a couple yards away.  The other had one hand stuffed firmly in a pocket as he shiftily eyed the clearly well to do couple.  The first one spoke after a long moment, "Wallets now man."  he insisted gesturing with the gun toward the ground between them.  "Do it!"  he snapped uncertainly eyes full of fear and desperation, "No hero stuff and no one gets hurt."  he demanded voice quavering hardly the hardened criminal it seemed he was trying to be.

Mike tightened his grip on Alex slightly as the men stopped them his body tensing despite the unlikelihood of the gun managing to hurt even Alex no less himself.  His face however showed no fear at the man's demand, only a small sad frown at the muggers desperation.  He slowly dropped his hands to his sides palms out to indicate no threat and stepped forward to better block a shot at Alex just in case.  "This isn't a way to live."  he said quietly and slowly moved one a hand toward his coat's breast pocket, "I'm just getting my Wallet out we don't want anyone hurt."  he explained calmly meaning the muggers not himself.  Pulling out his wallet he offered the man the couple hundred in cash he had in reserve for the night out on the town.  Eyes following the gun he asked carefully, "You got a place to sleep?"  he asked voice carefully modulated tot he tones he learned in his crisis training at the academy, "Here."  he waved the handful of bills, "How about I buy that gun off you and you get you and your buddy something to eat, maybe somewhere warm to sleep for a few nights."  his voice was pained he couldn't offer more.   "You can be better than this."  Mike intoned willing the man against all odds to be his better self.

Alex caught the movement before Mike did as she noticed the chaotic thoughts of the muggers, jittery and agitated, approaching them as Mike weighed whether or not twenty bucks was worth it for a night-time flight. Her hazel eyes landed thoughtfully on first one criminal and then the other although, like Mike, her expression showed concern rather than fear. She reached up to touch Mike's bicep as he stepped in front of her slightly. "They're both on drugs, Mike," Alex said gently, her fingers lightly squeezing his arm through the suit. "And crashing out."

She paused then, her head tipping to the side thoughtfully as if she were listening to something only the slender young woman could hear.

It likely seemed like a non sequitur to the criminals as she added helpfully to her fiancé , "You're going to want to take the guns too."

Mike let a small sigh escape his lips at Alex's assertion, she was right, of course she was right, but he had hoped it would not come to that.  It was such a nice night after all.  The muggers seemed at first to be wary of Mikes calm demeanor the quieter one off to the side fondling the likely gun in his pocket like a talisman against repercussions for his misdeeds, "Yea we'll take that and be keeping our guns."  he snapped angrily clearly the worse off for coming down off whatever they were hooked on.  The one who had spoken first seemed to hesitate, considering Mike's offer before his partner in crime spoke up bringing him back to the moment.  He reached out carefully and plucked the wad of bills from Mike's fingers cramming it in a pocket, "What kinda idiot you think I am man."  he growled feeling his withdrawals acutely.  He stared at Mike's face uncertain for a long time the internal struggle writ on his face, going clean was never really an option though and when Alex's ring glinted in the hazy light of hte streetlamps he snapped to attention, "An the jewelry."  he demanded firming his slack grip on the pistol and waving it more erratically.

Mike shook his head, "Can't do that."  he said firmly and met the man's eyes, "This isn't going to end how you think."  he said quietly, "Don't do this."  the big man begged, "You don't have to do this."  his voice was kind even now though resolved that this was not going to end peaceably.  The muggers grew in confidence at his words thinking him afraid, "The ring!"  the thief screamed, "Now!"  his movements more agitated and eyes growing wild.  Mikes refusal outraged him and with a grimace and bellowed curse swung the short barrel toward Alex and squeezed the trigger the quiet alley filled with the flash and boom of gunfire.  

The drug addled thieves didn't even see Mike move and stared at Alex where she stood unharmed after the series of wild shots, "That *&%*#( &*$#$%."  the addict howled, "Mickey sold me a bum gun!"  he bellowed at his partner who slowly drew his own dilapidated pistol.  Mike shook his head, "No."  he stated flatly, "He didn't."  opening his hand letting the spent slugs fall from his grip to rattle across the pavement.  The thieves eyes grew wide with fear, "Tha- thats not possible."  the first stammered and began to backpedal.  The other raised his gun toward the pair preparing to fire but was too slow.  In a flash Mike was in front of him plucking the gun from his grip and crushing it into a lump of ruined metal.  "This is no way to live."  he said firmly to the pair as they began to scatter and flee the other gun clattering to the pavement in the thieves desperate flight. 

Alex gave Mike's arm a very gentle pat as the men scattered, the gesture soothing. She'd flinched automatically at the loud rapport but no real fear had flickered across her features. Retrieving her hand, she held them out as the weapons and bullets floated towards her slender hands. "No need to give a police officer extra paperwork." Alex told the large man, her voice gentle as she added, "I have given them both a very small... impulse to get clean. AEON will foot the bill if they follow up on the thought but, you know, change is best when it comes from within."

Between her slender hands, the weapons warped and twisted into unrecognizable scrap metal before floating towards the dumpster off to the side as she brushed her hands together. "Unless you'd rather drop them off in person, of course but it is such a nice night."

Mike nodded agreement, "They were fresh from a dealer not worth anything to the police."  Mike said solidly as the men vanished around the corner.  "They won't get clean sitting in lockup for a few weeks."  he shrugged dejectedly, "At least they have a chance."  he took a deep breath of the chill night air and let it out slowly letting the disappointment with how the encounter had run its expected course out with the breath.  "It is isn't it."  he said with a small smile and offered her a hand, "Lets go home."  he suggested giving her a small wink and looking up to ensure they were clear of any obstructions or low flying aircraft.

Alex's low laughter lingered as she went to take his hand, the other wrapping around his shoulder as she floated up. It had taken years to manage to fly, but she still didn't manage it even a fraction of the speed that Mike cleared. She tucked her cheek against the side of his neck, arms twined around his shoulders. Remember how many times you took me flying before I managed it on my own? Alex smiled against his skin, Let's loop the Plaza on the way home - but don't rattle the windows too much.