Everything's Squishier With Cephalopods (WIP)

N/A

Possible new alien PC for next veteran reward?

376958-119206-octoboss.jpg

b4345b7b25dae398a9ffd9f84cdf1cae-d51rhp3

untitled1.png

Power Level: 12 (10)

Power Points: 194/180

Abilities 40PP

Strength 30 (+10), 50 Lifting

Constitution 30 (+10)

Combat 16PP

Initiative +0

Attack +4, +10 Melee

Damage +10 Unarmed

Grapple +24, +28 Elongation or Additional Limbs, +32 Elongation + Additional Limbs

Defense +4, +2 Flat-Footed, +10 Dodge

Knockback 10

Saving Throws 20PP

Fortitude +10 [0PP]

Reflex +10 [10PP]

Will +10 [10PP]

Skills 48R = 12PP

Disguise 0 (+0, +20 Morph)

Intimidate 15 (+15)

Knowledge (Galactic) 2 (+2)

Languages 1 (Galstandard)

Notice 10 (+10)

Search 10 (+10)

Sense Motive 10 (+10)

Feats 20PP

Attack Focus (Melee) 6

Chokehold

Dodge Focus 6

Improved Disarm

Improved Pin

Improved Trip

Startle

Takedown Attack

Uncanny Dodge 2 (Olfactory, Visual)

Powers 86PP

Additional Limbs 4 (10 Extra Limbs) [4PP] (Tentacles...lots of tentacles)

Array 6 (12PP, Feats: Alternate Power 4) [16PP]

Concealment 4 (All Visual Senses, Flaws: Blending) [4PP]

Dazzle 10 (Olfactory + Visual Senses, Flaws: Action [Full], Range [Touch], Feats: Extended Reach) [11PP] (Targeted Ink Spray)

Morph 4 (Any Form, +20 Disguise) [12PP]

Obscure 4 (50ft radius, Olfactory + Visual Senses, Extras: Independent, Total Fade, Flaws: Range [Touch]) [12PP] (Ink/Mist Cloud)

Paralyze 10 (Flaws: Requires Grapple) [10PP] (Venomous Bite)

Elongation 4 (50ft) [4PP]

Immunity 3 (Environmental [Cold, Pressure], Suffocation [Limited: Water]) [3PP]

Immunity 7 (Disease, Environmental [Heat, Radiation, Vacuum], Poison, Suffocation, Flaws: Limited [1/2 Effect]) [4PP]

Immunity 2 (Critical Hits, Flaws: Unreliable [50%]) [1PP]

Insubstantial 1 [5PP] (No Bones)

Impervious Toughness 10 [10PP] (Regeneration)

Leaping 6 (x100) [6PP]

AP: Swimming 6 (100MPH) [6PP]

Regeneration 9 (Recovery Rate: Bruised 3 [1/round, No Rest], Injured 6 [1/round, No Rest], Feats: Regrowth) [10PP]

Super-Movement 3 (Swinging, Wall-Crawling 2) [6PP]

Super-Senses 4 (Normal Vision, Extras: Counters Concealment [Descriptor: "Darkness"], Extended [100ft Notice Increments], Microscopic [Dust-Sized Objects]) [4PP]

Super-Senses 4 (Normal Smell/Taste, Extras: Acute, Extended [100ft Notice Increments], Tracking 2 [Normal Speed]) [4PP]

Super-Strength 4 [8PP]

Edited by ShaenTheBrain

I'm thinking an alien race of humanoid cephalopods, from a world where they rose to become the apex predators.  That isn't too far off from reality.

Octopuses are deaf.  I think that would be a pain in the @$$.  But I could see this race's language incorporating a lot of tentacle movements and skin-color changes that would be impossible for most other races to mimic.  Real octopuses do change color in response to their emotional state as well as to blend in with their surroundings.

Male octopuses die shortly after mating, while the females lay hundreds of thousands of eggs, protect them until they hatch, and then die because they haven't been eating during their vigil.  I'm thinking this race could still lay a clutch of eggs, but the parents could stay together and share the vigil.  The young could hatch as octopuses and then go through a tadpole-to-frog metamorphosis.  Other predators cull the numbers of real-life newborn octopuses, but since these would probably be raised in an enclosed tank, and since octopuses will eat just about any other creature, including other cephalopods, I could see the young cannibalizing one another until only the few strongest remain.

Octopuses have blue blood.  That's cool.  Keep that.

Octopuses have tongues, but they can also smell and taste with the suction cups on their tentacles.  I imagine a race of anthropomorphic octopuses would place a great importance on the culinary arts, and eating would take on a whole new dimension when you simultaneously feel and taste your food before you eat it.

Octopuses can squeeze through very narrow openings because they have no bones, just a beak made of chitin.  I'd keep that, only they'd have teeth instead of a beak.  But no bones, just lots of muscle.

Octopus tentacles can stretch and contract significantly, so the length of this guy's tentacles could vary greatly.

Haven't decided just how anthropomorphic to make them, if at all, hence the multiple inspiration pics.

Critical hit resistance can be justified not only by the regeneration, but by the fact that octopuses have multiple redundant organs.

Octopuses can swim fast by expelling jets of water through their bodies.  I imagine these guys could do the same with jets of air, for a Leaping or Flight effect.

I can imagine how terrifying it would be to turn around and see the filing cabinet in the corner morph into a tentacled monstrosity.  That mental image tickles me.

Well they could always be mildly telepathic, because aliens. Telepathic monster octopi isn't too big a stretch considering the Cosmic Handbook already introduced sapient octopus and squid species in the hexxim and kailur(telepathic octopi and telepathic giant squids!) Maybe this species and those two are long-time rivals for the same homeworld, or another comrade race.

EDIT: My mistake, the kailur were first introduced in Worlds of Freedom with the Starro ripoff Kalamus.

Edited by Ari
3 hours ago, Raveled said:

You're taking three images for bad guys/monsters and turning it into a cannibalizing PC that can't speak?

Clarification:

1) The brainstorming idea was that the "larva," for lack of a better term, would cannibalize each other at that stage, not that cannibalism would be a part of their adult lives or society.

2) Dark Is Not Evil.  Y'know who else takes stereotypically evil motifs and uses them for good? Batman.  If I played this guy, then playing with the Creepy Good trope would kinda be the whole point.

3) Real-life octopuses are deaf.  When I said "That would be a pain in the @$$," what I meant was "If I played this guy, I wouldn't make them deaf."  I'd make them capable of normal speech.  I just meant that their native language would incorporate more visual elements than spoken.