"Gold" Player Status

Barnum

First of all . . . no, we are not going to ask you for money.

:D

As you all probably know, getting people to stick with a site in PbP (much less a game or a character) is no easy task. We have a few remarkable people who have been with us from the beginning, and we have high hopes that some of our newer players will still be around with us this time next year.

Sticking with a character around here is, in a way, its own reward because of PP accumulation, but we are contemplating rewarding long-term players who stick with the same character with an additional reward . . . "Gold" status. Other than the spiffy "Gold" label (or some other more heroic name), we just aren't sure what the reward should be.

1. We want the achievement we reward to be something substantial. Right now we are thinking that to become "Gold," a player would need to earn 30 PPs for one of his/her characters. At the current rate of PP awards, that would take most players 8-10 months to earn. I think that's about right.

2. We also want the reward to be something substantial. Some ideas that have already been suggested:

• -The privilege of being able to create a 3rd character.

-The privilege of being able to create replacement characters at a higher PL (either by allowing them two PL 10s or something else like allowing them to "cash in" an existing character to recoup some of the earned PPs for a new character).

-Less restrictions on character creation (though working out the detail on this would be very difficult).

So . . . what do you think of these as rewards? What other "rewards" might be good to consider? What would you like as a reward for all of your hard work? :D

I would say, getting another character slot option at a higher pl is an appealing choice/reward. It would allow for, for instance, having a hero and villain char both at similar power levels, for those that want the experience of either. Or if someone had a hero or villain idea they wanted to try generally, etc.

I like this idea. I was thinking about the ability to cash in points. Something around the 70-80 percent mark would be my idea. That way if you do it at a low level, it's only a little different then starting over, and if you get bored of a high level character, you don't feel trapped.

I like this idea. I was thinking about the ability to cash in points. Something around the 70-80 percent mark would be my idea. That way if you do it at a low level, it's only a little different then starting over, and if you get bored of a high level character, you don't feel trapped.

We have talked about 50%, but we'll add your suggestion of 70-80% to the mix.

So, for example, once a player hits Gold status they could cash in their PL 13 (182 PPs) character and replace it with a new PL 12 (166 PPs) character.

That is fast becoming my favorite option.

I too would greatly appreciate even just the prospect of a second PL 10 character. In the case that this ends up as a privilege for "Gold" status players my biggest worry will likely be lasting until I meet the requirements; I've already got a third prospective character lined up...