Downtown Train

angrydurf

Kingsnake snapped his right arm out toward the woman who had been pretending to be the armored man's hostage, sending his whip flying toward her.  The braided leather wrapped around her legs.  He yanked back on the whip, hoping to pull her to the floor.  At the same time, he shifted his left leg back and forth in small semicircles on the floor, before jerking it up faster than the eye could follow and stomping down on the armored mercenary's stomach.

He turned his head slightly over his shoulder to growl at the German in the gas mask.  "You have power I don't.  Make sure the trains stay on the tracksThis is what I do."

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miras lurched forward with the momentum of the train, bracing herself against the console and then stumbling back against the rear wall as the entire vehicle began to slow down. She turned and very deliberately flowed through the hole she had made, ending up back in the train car. The superheroine was exhausted, running on fumes all of a sudden; all of her energy had been concentrated in that one strike, and now she was paying the piper.

Heh. Paying the piper. She was so tired the thought made her laugh.

She stumbled drunkenly down the train car, holding onto the upright rails and doing her best not to trip over her own feet. Eventually she neared the rear door and hung half-way out of it, watching the few remaining mercenaries. "You know," she called over to one, "this isn't really going to go your way. I mean, we already out number you and we have better fashion taste. Some days it's just not worth getting out of bed and strapping on your rocket pack, you know?"

"Not so fast."  Phalanx intoned and sped after the escaping mercenary.  He arrived just as Miras emerged from the train drawing their armored foe off balance and setting him up for Phalanx's attack.  The potent paragon sped across the skies of Freedom raising his arms over head as he drew up aiming a double handed blow of crushing force upon the maladjusted mercenaries back buckling armored plates and destroying flight and motive systems with the force of hte blow.  The mercenary crashed to earth impacting the ground with an audible impact.  The exertions of the battle had taken their toll on him certainly though he bore through the worst of it with solid resolve as he hovered observing as the police already moved in on the unconscious soldier of fortune.  He looked to his fellow hero weakened by her own part in the fight and inquired with genuine concern, "Are you injured, in need of aid?"  though he was in little better shape himself.

GM Post  

As the final of his cohort spun toward the ground vanquished by the heroes of the day the leader of the mercenary band slowly staggered to his feet weaving slightly in place but still defiant, "You may have stopped her escape."  he growled through his vocoder and barked a laugh, "But she won't survive to testify."  he gasped out breathlessly.  On the ground behind Kingsnake the woman in question was frantically crawling away not bothering to try to stand after being so unceremoniously dumped on her delicate if shapely behind.  "It was just supposed to make me miss the court date."  she was whispering to herself, "What did I get myself into."  she panted desperately.

Gauss was a little taken aback by the vigilantes rather rude reply to his offer of help. "Fine, du kleine Schweinhund" he muttered under his breath. He went towards the front of the train when the last mercenary flew off and the whoever that was on the ground broke down, he decided to hes back. "Well, it looks like we have someone trying to evade a court-date. I don't suppose you can fly?" he asked the vigilante. 

Kingsnake heard every word from Gauss clearly, but he didn't speak a word of German.  The armored mercenary and the false hostage, however, made perfect sense to him.

"She won't survive to testify."

Kingsnake gritted his teeth.  His face twisted into a snarl beneath his mask.  "She'll outlive you."  He clenched his hand into a fist and threw all his weight behind a brutal haymaker punch to the armored man's jaw.

GM Post  

It was hard to say if the mans lurching to the side was the result of hte telegraphed punch, his own unstable footing, or an untimely lurch of the halted train car.  None the less Kingsnakes brutal blow did naught but graze the unsteady mercenary.  "We'll see about that yet."  he rumbled his vocoder staticy with the damage the suit had sustained through the vicious beating.  On the ground below the woman looked with fearful eyes to the heroes, "You don't know what they're capeable of, I can't.."  she babbled before dissolving into a mass of sobs.

Miras waved the flying man off, keeping a tight grip on the train car door. "I'll be fine," she called up. "I just need forty winks and a large coffee." She pulled herself back inside and fairly fell into a seat, bracing herself as the train continued its rapid deceleration. "Like, a whole carafe of coffee." She yawned suddenly as a wave of fatigue washed over her, not even bothering to cover her mouth. "And maybe a few nights to practice those forty winks. I wonder if I can magically accelerate a nap..."

"You have more than earned it today."  Phalanx agreed before tilting his head as the threads of hte distant conversation in the train cars beyon reached his ears, "There is still a matter I must attend."  he added as he vanished in a blur of blue and gold streaking across the skies.  Landing with a resounding *whump* of compressed air from his rapid flight as he came to rest behind the merc so carefully edging clear of the heroes.  "You are outnumbered and outmatched."  the big paragon intoned and snapped his hands out to root the man to the ground, "You will not escape justice today."  he affirmed, voice steely and resolved, "You have risked the lives of innocents and clearly seek to undermine the due process of the courts.  That can not be allowed, perhaps if you are cooperative it will ease the judgements against you."  Phalanx finally suggested and glared at the sobbing woman, "Someone set you this task, do the right thing and tell us what we need to know to keep this woman safe."  It was perhaps naive to expect the mercenary willing to kill a train full of people to fulfill his mission to have a moment of conscience over one woman likely an informant of some kind to begin with.  Yet for the Paragon the opportunity to turn over a new leaf ought at least be offered.  

GM Post  

The mercenary struggled feebly in the steely grip of his captor though his suits servos were not equal the task and he soon gave up.   He shook his head with a off kilter laugh ringing tinny and small through the vocoder, "Oh no chance there, I'm not about to give my life up for some snitch with second thoughts."  he announced, "Even if I did know I wouldn't tell you, and I don't but I do know what kind of people they work with and I do know none of you lot can do a damn thing to stop it."  he sneered cocky still even in defeat.

"Oh really, Du kleine Scheisse?" Gunther said as he walked over to the armored mercenary. Despite his weariness, the german sttagered over to the mercenary, said to Phalanx "You should probably get the woman to her court date, ja? Unless someone else can do it?" Then Gauss started the build-up kinetic energy in his fist. "Now you listen to me, thug. These men, they won't hurt or kill you. No, because there nice guys. I," he said holding up a hand crackling with kinetic force, weakened by his wounds but still deadly "am not. Perhaps you have heard of the first world war? I imagine so. I thought in that war, you little Schweinhund, in firt and filth and muck, and I killed men like they were rats, men who were much better than you, much more innocent, much less deserving of death. Now think of this, if I was willing to kill those men like rats, what does that make you in my eyes?" Gunther slammed a kinetically charge fist into the mercenary's midsection. "And think about what you can do to keep me from making your life hell!"

Phalanx was no expert in German, he really hadn't even passing understanding of the time displaced heroes native tongue.  He understood the use of grandstanding and intimidation however but there was a line and the blow Gauss aimed at the helpless mercenary was crossing it.  He whirled quickly the armored criminal still locked in his grasp and took the blow intended for the enemy on his own invulnerable flank.  A flicker of a frown crossed his features before he intoned respectfully, "I understand this is not your time nor your native land sir."  the tall paragon admitted, "But we do not strike a helpless foe.  We are better than criminals such as these, he will pay for his crimes but not by our hands."

Kingsnake's low, coarse growl came from behind Phalanx.  "You're better than that."  He walked around the linebacker-sized hero, inclined his head slightly toward Gauss, then stared at the armored mercenary in Phalanx's grip.  "That makes you a minority."  He slowly reached up over the armored thug's shoulders, under the rim of his helmet, and pulled it off.  "Of course, you're the big gun, so you call the shots...for now."  He leaned his face in closer to the thug, almost touching noses.  "But he has better things to do than watch over a dime-a-dozen rent-a-thug.  I don't.  So give me something better to do with my time."

GM Post  

Phalanx may not have approved of the methods bit it was hard to argue with results and results Kingsnake and Gauss indeed wrought from their interrogation.  The helm came loose in Kingsnakes hand with a hiss of equalized pressure revealing the swarthy face within.  Sweat beaded on the man's face the defiance in his eyes dying with the vigilantes grim proclamation.  He dropped his gaze and hung his head gong slack in the tall paragons grip, "She knows who she's testifying against,"  he countered not quite willing to give up his employer entirely, "We were supposed to extract her make it look like a kidnapping."  the mercenary revealed, "Deliver her to a boat offshore."  he looked up to meet Kingsnakes eyes, "If we didn't take care of it her boyfriends employer had secured the services of someone who would."  he rumbled fearfully and ghosted a whisper, "Orion."  he shook his head, "I don't know the name of his boss."  he said flatly, "But I can count on one hand the guys who can call Him in to take out snitch like her."  If rumor was to be believed the famed hunter of men had given up on normal quarry to hunt supers exclusively, who or what could hire him for a job so below his standards was something to be concerned with. 

Asli leaned back in the chair, closing her eyes and breathing deeply. The quiet of the train was intoxicating, but her conscience needled her and kept her from falling asleep. She sighed heavily and stood, becoming fog long enough to drift tiredly out the car and back towards where the other heroes were congregating. She coalesced near the group, giving the crowd a wary look. "So who can tell me," she said loudly, "why we all worked so hard to ruin everyone's commute?" She shot Kingsnake a look before rounding on the armored thug, pingeonholing him roughly. "What part of 'pulling a heist in Freedom-damn-City' feels like a sound career plan to people like you? Is it the capes on every block or the prison just off the coast?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Orion," Kingsnake growled.  "We need to get her off the street and out of sight now."  He briefly turned his head to face each of the other assembled superhumans.  "Whoever can fly and shrug off a sniper's bullet, get her out of here.  I'll catch up.  Don't worry, I'll find you, and I'll make sure no one follows me to you."  He turned his face down and to the side toward the woman, and pointed at her.  "And you need to start talking.  Anyone who can afford Orion can buy their way past the weak links in the police department.  And it sounds like you already wasted their time once.  They're not your friends anymore.  That makes us the only people in the world who care about keeping you alive."

GM Post  

The mercenary looked almost smug at the heroes reaction to his news and he fixed a steely gaze on the woman, "Nothing you say will save you."  he sneered caustically though a tightening of hte grip he was held in silenced him before he could further threaten the frightened woman.

The frightened woman stared up in fear at the merc and heroes in almost equal measure, "It's Jimmy."  she said breaking down, "Jimmy Baglioni, we met a few moths ago at a bar, an he, well he treated me good."  she stuttered twisting one diamond encrusted bracelet that suggested exactly what she meant when she said treated her well.  "Jimmy talks in his sleep an was talking bout some shipment an a maze or something."  she looked down at the floors, "I axed him about it and he told me it was nothin an was a real jerk so when he got a call later I listened in."  she huffed petulantly rubbing her cheek where he'd 'been a jerk about it' before continuing, "Some guy sounded like a german name, Jimmy's boss or something, They were bringing in some stuff for the maze thing an Jiminy needed to make sure customs didn't look too close you know?"  she sighed, "I got picked up for possession, an it was my cousins I was just holdin it fer her," she clarified with a wave of her finger, "So I told the DA I had a thing on Jimmy bout fixing customs to cut a deal." 

She glared at the merc where he squirmed in Phalanx steely grip, "These yahoos was supposed ta get me outta here so I could meet Jimmy in the riviera"  She shrugged at kingsnake, "He was pissed but he knows a good thing unlike that cow of a wife of his."  she said snidely, "So he was supposed to make sure these losers took good care of me."  She looked to kingsnake then the others before settling on Phalanx, "But now if theres a hit out I gotta get outta town, no wheres safe from that kinda heat."  she all but begged, "I'll tell the cops all I know but they can't keep me safe you can see that."

Phalanx nodded along to the revelations of the mercenary, "I'll be sure your aid in this matter does not go unrewarded,"  He promised though he tightened his grip as the man began to once more bluster and threaten.  "The DA and Authorities will be made aware of your cooperation."  he added flatly as the merc began to panic at the implication he'd ratted out his employers.  The towering paragon however had no further need for the man and soon would need his hands free to aid the woman it seemed.  With a sudden movement he grasped the suits power pack and tore it from the frame of the powered armor with a mighty heave leaving the weighty armor no more than an inert prison around the criminals limbs.

He listened carefully to the woman's story and nodded grimly, "We'll see to it you're kept safe ma'am, I fear however your boyfriend has like as not set you up."  he explained bluntly, "You ought in the future seek better companionship."  he advised as he reached out a hand to take her own, "I have a place where she ought be safe."  he suggested and looked off in the distance for a moment as if distracted as his lips silently worked as he inquired about exactly where that ought be.  "At least until the police can be contacted to turn her over."  he looked to kingsnake warily not fond of the mans methods but understanding that not all could afford his cavalier attitudes, "Perhaps you would be best served ensuring that she is safe once back in their custody."

Miras dialed her most reassuring smile for the woman. "Don't worry," she said. "We're not going to let the bad guys win. You're going to give your testimony, and your ex-boyfriend is going away for a long, long time." She walked past him and grabbed one of Kingsnake's overdeveloped biceps, pulling the hero around so they weren't all facing into the same circle. "You and me have to have a chat about how you were fighting out there, buddy. Or you've got to get a pilot's license, one of the two."

"I don't owe you an explanation," Kingsnake hissed at Miras.  He was momentarily surprised when, finally "seeing" her up close, he realized how tall she was.  Her eyes were at the same level his would be if he still had any.  "But I will give you some advice: What you will and won't do doesn't matter as much as what the enemy thinks you will do.  You don't have to be a sadist.  You don't have to be a killer.  But your job is a lot easier when they think you are, or at least when they think you might be.  The more terrible things they think you're capable of doing, the fewer of them you'll actually have to do.  And I didn't worry about the jet for the same reason I didn't worry about the train: You.  And the Boy Scout, and Herr Doktor Von Braun over there."

"Great to see that the rest of us exist to pick up after you," Miras shot back. "Let me know when you need your suit pressed. And then you can let me know how you're helping the people who had their car crushed, because someone dropped a damn jetplane right underneath the city rail." She took a deep breath and stepped away from Kingsnake. "If all you care about it punching assholes, go find the gym that smells the most like Axe and go wild. 'Cause my job is not to clean up your misses."

Phalanx returned to the here and now focusing once more on the external rather than his mental dialog and looked between the argueing supers almost saddly.  "We are all on the same side here friends."  he intoned earnestly fixing his gaze on each in turn, "Our methods may vary but the good of the populace is always our goal I am sure."  he said with honest faith in each of them, "Unpredictable tactics and intimidation have their place."  he assured Miras with a nod and swung a stern gaze to Kingsnake, "But there is a thin line betwixt unpredictable and reckless and I pray you never find out too late which side you land upon when an innocent pays the price."  he suggested with the heartfelt concern of one who had seen the other side of that particular coin before.

Reaching out to the woman with one hand he offered a gentle smile, "Come with me Ma'am I'll see you safely away until the police can take over."  he promised and drew her to his side nodding to the others with a bright smile, "Until the next time friends."  he called out as he arced up into the sky in a blur.