All the Colors of the Sky

alderwitch

Hmm... Alex murmured, her psychic form raised one hand up, palm outward as if she were 'feeling' the content of this memory and those connected to it. It all looked right to Alex's discerning eye, with none of the rough edges or too smooth transitions that she'd expect from most created memories. It took a very deft psychic hand to weave together memories that weren't too roughly patched, or too carefully fabricated with none of the actual holes memories had. Perhaps it was because she was used to the faint 'echo' of Mike's presence that she caught what she did. If its created, its some of the better work that I've seen but, still, there's this faint.... Her fingers curled as if trying to tease out a thread from a tapestry, Almost an echo of something else through the memory. Can you hear it? Sense it?

For a while I thought that this might be me, that I somehow time displaced or an immortal who’d lost her memory...

Dancia sat thinking for a few seconds trying to put her feeling into words, with stray thoughts bubbling just under the surface.

Almost the first thing I did when I joined the Ledger was find Dee in the archives, it’s part of the reason I joined the paper. Every writer has there own unique style, little quirks and phrases that they always use. And her’s and mine just aren't the same, even if you account several decades of writing changes.

She looked at Alex with a determined look.

So I guess however nice this memory is, and this ensemble really show off my legs, I guess we’re going to have to dig a little deeper!

• 2 weeks later...

The glowing figure that represented Alex's presence in Dancia's mind reached out one hand to wipe the scene away. The images of these memories rippled like the surface of disturbed water, leaving them for a moment floating in Dancia's mindscape without a memory as backdrop. 

Its not unheard of for broken memories to be mended with another person's thought patterns, Alex commented as they floated, If there's a willing donor, its often much easier than creating memory from whole cloth. Of course, there are also less scrupulous psychics about permission. Borrowed memories are easier to patch in than creating whole cloth in general. 

She reached out her hands then, disturbing the mindscape once more as her deft touch peeled back another layer, There's also the possibility that the memories are a secondary effect. If it was necessary to borrow skills or more core-knowledge, memories can cling to that sort of a transfer. Like cobwebs. Or after images. 

The mindscape shimmered a little as Danica thought about Alex’s words, slowly a rather austere little office formed around them.

As much as I enjoy my job there’s only a few memories where I’m a journalist, most of the others were I’m not a hero I’m a soldier of some kind.

The clothes she had been wearing transformed into the uniform of a high ranking officer of some kind. Sat behind the desk she looked the part, but apparently Dancia seemed uncomfortable sat there.

But I’m hardly ever the desk bound kind, I’m the kind who is always in the field fighting alongside my fellow soldiers.

She got up from the desk and instead stood in front of it stood to almost perfect attention, her uniform was still impeccable but the kind worn by those in the field.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm... Alex paused for a moment before Danica felt her 'touch' stretching out in a different direction and there was a ripple- an echo almost - as she tapped Mike on the psychic link she shared with him. My knowledge of military matters is almost entirely academic. Mike, however, did the police academy and is more familiar with the nuances of that world and mindset.

As she explained the details to Danica, she rapidly caught Mike up to the context of what was going on, tugging him into shimmering existence in the mindscape. Mentally, their connection was a much more tangible thing - existing as a ghostly connection from Alex to the tall paragon. Mike?

Mikes mental image was at first foggy and indistinct as it tried to coalesce within the mindscape and his mind switched gears from developmental psychology to whatever this was.  As his presence firmed and he managed to somewhat better center his thoughts he absorbed the knowledge shoved toward him from his fiance.  He brought his mind to bear on the problem as he tried to pick out details offering a shrug, Seems more military than police though there are places the lines blur?  He suggested somewhat questioningly, Actual police work is much more the desk and paperwork than out on the street active work and unless you're part of some tactical squad you're not really out with brothers in arms so much as maybe a partner dependant on detail.  

He looked over the uniform and decor once more and made a guess, I'd guess officer though, I don't recognize it but pretty much everywhere the more bangles on the collar and chest the more rank you have.  He observed a moment longer, The salute is telling, high morale, true belief, there are soldiers, and cops, that see it as a job and those that see it as a calling, if you're there for a paycheck your salute may be perfect but it doesn't carry through the body and eyes like that.  He looked in the mindscape to Dancia, That might be the thread to pull, belief and faith like that can't really be suppressed, If you feel the call to action it never really goes away.

• 1 month later...

Mike’s words must have jogged some memory as the scene shifted again to one a a shattered cityscape. The tall ragged buildings of steel and glass could have been from any 21st, or even 20th, century city. Behind rather substantial barriers crouched a number of soldiers their equipment and insignia suggesting they weren’t from Earth-Prime.

A quick scan of the area showed two rather important things were missing. Dancia didn’t appear to be among any of the soldier manning the barrier and though the sounds of their attacks could be heard and seen for some reason none of whoever the soldier were fighting couldn’t be seen.

• 2 weeks later...

Strange. Alex's comment was thoughtful as they shimmered into this newest fragment of memory. Different, too.

She floated down, unseen, among the various soldiers, ghosting around and through the memory fragments as she took in the whole of the battle. She waved one ephemeral hand through where she thought the enemy might have been supposed to be. It's always hard to tell if this is because a memory has fragmented or if the enemies weren't actually present - you know, invisible, intangible, psychic, what have you. What do you think, Danica. How does this fragment make you feel?

Danicia flattened herself against the wall dressed in the same uniform as the rest of the soldiers manning the barricade. Obviously it helped her get into her the mindset of the situation as she explained her thoughts on the situation. On her uniform she wore a patch of what was obviously her unit, a styalised Greek warrior with XXX belove it, roman numeral’s for three hundred. Or in Greek Triakosia.

I feel anger, I should be here but I can’t I have something far more important needs doing. And I feel fear this is something that could threaten the entire world.

In response to this there was a shimmering in the air and several indistinct figure floating a short distance from the barrier, almost like it would be to much if they could be seen fully.