Imperious Rex (PL 10) - 1st Draft

After talking in chat earlier this evening, I began working on the crunch for my submission ... so first, I draw alot of inspiration from images, so the picture that inspires the concept ...

Spoiler

Invictus_zpsrxekqdsn.jpg

And now for the build, this is an import from Herolab, so excuse the formatting ...

Spoiler

Imperious Rex

Power Level: 10; Power Points Spent: 150/150

STR: +12 (24/34), DEX: +2 (14), CON: +7 (24), INT: +0 (10), WIS: +2 (14), CHA: +2 (14)

Tough: +7/+13, Fort: +10, Ref: +5, Will: +7

Skills: Climb 1 (+13), Handle Animal 7 (+9), Intimidate 11 (+13), Knowledge (tactics) 5 (+5), Knowledge (theology & philosophy) 5 (+5), Language 4 (+4), Notice 3 (+5), Ride 3 (+5), Sense Motive 3 (+5), Survival 5 (+7), Swim 1 (+13)

Feats: Attack Focus (melee) 2, Attack Specialization (Unarmed Attack), Beginner's Luck, Challenge - Improved Feint, Chokehold, Defensive Roll 2, Dodge Focus 3, Eidetic Memory, Endurance (+4), Fearless, Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed Attack), Improved Grab, Improved Grapple, Improved Initiative, Jack-of-All-Trades, Leadership, Luck 2, Master Plan, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Skill Mastery (Climb, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Survival), Startle, Takedown Attack 2, Track

Powers:
Reflections of Jon Walker (Enhanced Trait 3) (Feats: Beginner's Luck, Eidetic Memory, Jack-of-All-Trades; Innate)
Warlord of Atlantis and her Realms (Container, Passive 8)
. . Blessed by the Gods (Immunity 2) (critical hits; Limited (Physical Damage & Effects Only))
. . Eldritch Endurance & Stamina (Immunity 6) (disease, environmental condition: Extreme Heat, environmental condition: Extreme Cold, poison, suffocation (all), Feats: Endurance (+4); Limited (Poison & Disease:  Half Effect))
. . Experience of a Thousand Battles (Immunity 5) (interaction skills; Limited (Feint Maneuver Only))
. . Impervious to Physical Harm (Impervious Toughness 10) (Limited (Physical Damage & Effects Only))
. . Protective Enchantments & Runes (Protection 4) (+4 Toughness)
. . Sorcerous Strength & Power (Enhanced Trait 10) (Traits: Strength +10 (34, +12))
. . Speed & Power of a Warrior Born (Super-Strength 4) ([0 active, 8/8 PP, 2/r], +20 STR carry capacity, heavy load: 22.4 tons; +4 STR to some checks)
. . . . Leaping 4 (Alternate; [4 active, 8/8 PP, 1/r], Jumping distance: x25)
. . . . Speed 4 (Alternate; [4 active, 8/8 PP, 1/r], Speed: 100 mph, 880 ft./rnd)

Attack Bonus: +4 (Ranged: +4, Melee: +6, Grapple: +18)

Attacks: Unarmed Attack, +8 (DC 27)

Defense: +7  (Flat-footed: +2), Knockback: -11

Initiative: +6

Languages: Arabic, Atlantean (Native), English, Hebrew, Latin

Totals: Abilities 40 + Skills 12 (48 ranks) + Feats 27 + Powers 44 + Combat 16 + Saves 11 + Drawbacks 0 = 150

Now, the basic premise is that an Atlantean Warlord was tasked with hunting down Malador, an ancient sorcerer who betrayed his oath.  As such, soon the Warlord was trapped in a soul gem of some sort.  Skip forward several milenia and some villains (henchmen) steal the macguffin, breaking it, the soul of the warlord seeks a host body, but the only body it can find is off Jon Walker, a fire fighter who was injured in the line of duty, and is brain dead.  While wife and son are contemplating whether or not to continue life support, he awakens, but Walkers memories have been almost entirely supplanted by the Warlord.  

I think it works, and there are some interesting complications to tap for the character, I will flesh out more later, but any comments, concerns or critiques would be more than welcome!

I usually recommend Complications over Drawbacks, since extra Hero Points during play are usually far more useful than a couple of extra Power Points at character generation.  However, in this case, I'd consider having the gem wake the firefighter out of his coma, and having him share time with the warlord, using the gem or a magic word or something to change forms.  That would get you an extra 3-4PP from a Normal Identity drawback, and it would give you plenty of roleplaying hooks (balancing the two lives, protecting his family, etc.).

I don't think Attack Specialization (Unarmed) is worth it for an unarmed melee character, since it doesn't help your grapple bonus.  And for a super-strength character, it doesn't help you with improvised throwing weapons.

The Sense Motive skill works against every variant of the feint maneuver, and for the points you're spending on that Limited Immunity, you could just buy a high Sense Motive bonus, which would be less janky.

You have a lot of skills with 1 rank in them that can be used untrained.  That's not making a big difference.  And your skill bonuses don't really line up with the skill DCs in the book.  Like, why have +13 Climb, when Climb is one of the many skills with DCs in increments of 5?  You don't get much out of +13 that you'd get from +10, and you don't get nearly as much from +13 as you do from +15, because you can't take 10 and reliably hit the next DC tier.

I could see Beginners Luck being useful, but with his ability scores, I don't think he gets anything out of Jack of All Trades.

Our house rules give you +2 Toughness for each rank of Defensive Roll, and we did away with the janky Reflex bonus option.  So he's breaking his defensive PL right now.  And I'd reconsider Defensive Roll for a guy who's supposed to have a Toughness tradeoff and be a brick anyway.

Here's what the formatting should look more like, along with a suggested potential rebuild:

Power Level: 10

Power Points: 150/150

Abilities 15 + 4 + 15 + 0 + 4 + 8 = 46PP

Strength: 35/25 (+12/+7), 50/25 Lifting (Heavy Load: 12 tons / 800 lbs.)

Dexterity: 14 (+2)

Constitution: 34/25 (+12/+7)

Intelligence: 10 (+0)

Wisdom: 14 (+2)

Charisma: 18 (+4)

Combat 8 + 8 = 16PP

Initiative: +6 (+2 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)

Attack: +4 Ranged (+4 Base), +8 Melee (+4 Base, +4 Attack Focus), +8 Improvised Throwing Weapons (+4 Base, +4 Attack Specialization)

Grapple: +23/+15

Defense: +8 (+4 Base, +4 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed

Knockback: 11/3

Saving Throws 0 + 6 + 6 = 12PP

Toughness: +12/+7 (+12/+7 Con, Impervious 10/0)

Fortitude: +12/+7 (+12/+7 Con, +0PP)

Reflex: +8 (+2 Dex, +6PP)

Will: +8 (+2 Wis, +6PP)

Skills 68R = 17PP

Climb 3 (+15/+10)Skill Mastery

Handle Animal 6 (+10)Skill Mastery

Intimidate 15 (+19)Skill Mastery

Knowledge (Tactics) 8 (+8)

Knowledge (Theology/Philosophy) 5 (+5)

Languages 4 (Arabic, Atlantean [Native], English, Hebrew, Latin)

Notice 3 (+5)

Ride 3 (+5)

Sense Motive 13 (+15)

Survival 8 (+10)Skill Mastery

Feats 30PP

Attack Focus (Melee) 4

Attack Specialization (Improvised Throwing Weapons) 2 (+4)

Beginner's Luck

Chokehold

Endurance

Fearless

Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2

Improved Grab

Improved Grapple

Improved Initiative

Interpose

Leadership

Luck 2

Master Plan 2 (Can use Knowledge [Tactics] instead of base Int)

Move-By Action

Power Attack

Skill Mastery (Climb, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Survival)

Startle

Takedown Attack 2

Track

Uncanny Dodge 2 (Auditory, Visual)

Powers 9 + 10 + 3 + 4 + 6 = 32PP

Immunity 9 (Life Support) [9PP]

Impervious Toughness 10 [10PP]

Leaping 3 (x10 [Running Long Jump: 220ft]) [3PP]

Speed 4 (100MPH / 100ft per Move Action) [4PP]

Super-Strength 3 (Lifting Strength 50 [Heavy Load: 12 tons]) [6PP]

Drawbacks -3PP

Normal Identity (Frequency: Common [Free Action], Intensity: Major) [-3PP]

Totals: Abilities (46) + Combat (16) + Saving Throws (12) + Skills (17) + Feats (30) + Powers (32) - Drawbacks (3) = 150/150 Power Points

Combat Block

ATTACK   RANGE  SAVE                        EFFECT

Unarmed  Touch  DC27/22 Toughness (Staged)  Damage (Physical)