Geez3r

"My suit's new armaments are focused on energy based ordnance, rather than traditional kinetic rounds as was true in the previous model."

Not only did they let him out, they let him upgrade.  This keeps getting worse by the minute.  Kingsnake grabbed the top edge of the energy-cube and vaulted himself up over the "wall" and inside.  Right into the hungry lion's mouth.  Better me than them.  "If you can convince the fairy to take you to wear the weapon isn't, then feel free and good luck.  Otherwise, you follow us, and the hired guns live to fire another day.  Michaels, let's go.  And if your old toy has any weaknesses, tell us on the way."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grim pursed her lips and nodded.

I don't think Mr. Monochrome likes me very much; probably thinks I'm too flighty or something. Doesn't mean we can't still work together; Jackvenger and I didn't always see eye to eye, but I'd still help him in a heartbeat.

She cleared her throat and indicated Brandish with a nod.

"I think me and Johhny Switchblade will tag along with you guys; strength in numbers and all that."

She put her hands on her hips and considered the Spartan interior of her Vault, shaking her head.

"Y'know, I really should furnish the place; mini-fridge, Lava lamp, a few throw pillows..."

Then the changeling turned to the young swordsman and jerked a thumb over her shoulder.

"Alright kid, hop in; once I zip the door shut, you won't have any cell service, but you won't run out of air, either."

Edited by Heritage

Brandish twinged his shoulders as he heard himself be called by the wrong name, "It's Brandish, but whatever." he examined the inside of the portal as he put his sword into it's sheath on his back, "I'm guessing you'll pull me out when there's a fight? It looks like everyone else has everything I can do other than that covered..." he couldn't help but sigh as he looked around at everyone, "...very well." He cautiously put a hand through the portal before stepping inside and turning around.

"Just don't forget I'm in here alright?" he said as a small grin appeared on his face, "My phone only has about three hours of battery if I'm playing games on it."

It takes the motley crew of super heroes about 20 minutes of tracking the trail of ozone over the bay before they're back over solid ground. The thieves seemed especially cautious as even while they were airborne they zigzagged their path and even sent stray bolts of lightning in different directions to avoid being followed, but to no avail. Their search brings them to the edge of North Bay, one of the wealthiest districts in Freedom City.

The two thieves had made their way to a stately manor on top of a hill. The sprawling grounds, enclosed by a historic wrought iron fence, were well manicured and maintained with decorative topiary adorning many of the walk ways, which were well lit. There were two main buildings on the grounds; the main manor which was four stories of Victorian-era perfection transplanted to America, sat almost in the middle of the estate while the smaller manor sat just to the north, and while only two stories and on a much smaller scale than the main manor, was certainly still quite posh. Most of the lights in both buildings were on. Finally, there were several individuals, likely guards given their identical attire of dark winter gear, patrolling the premises, but they did not appear to be particularly on edge or alert.

Once they got to their destination, Grim returned to full size and dropped silently into a crouch. She then traced a circle in the air about five feet across, poked her head in and grinned at Brandish.

"Last stop! Everyone off the bus!"

Once the young swordsman disembarked, she dismissed the portal and directed her attention at the manor, arms folded across her chest.

"Huh! Not sure if that's enough mooks to say the place is officially 'crawling with guards', but if it's not, it's damn close. Looks like big electrical bills are also not a major concern."

The changeling turned to the others, thoughtfully stroking her chin.

"So unless I'm mistaken, we have two subtle people and two... less subtle people; how do we want to work this? Solid Snake typically works best alone, which I can respect, but how about the rest of us?"

Edited by Heritage

Whatever fuss the rest of them kick up, it should keep security distracted.  I hate to leave them alone with Malice, but if he does turn on them here, I'll be more use to them outside his trap than by their side.

Without a word, Kingsnake grabbed the edge of Bastion's hard-light basket, hurled himself over the edge into a somersault, and flipped hand-over-feet several times before hitting the ground running.  His footfalls barely made any sound as he attempted to vanish into the shadows.

Edited by ShaenTheBrain

After taking a moment to put his phone away, Brandish stepped out of the portal and back into the gloomy night, his eyes do a poor job of adjusting back to the darkness for a few moments before he could make out just what the group was up against.

"Well, um. The two 'not-so-subtle people' could cause a distraction while the two 'subtle people' sneak in...?" he said just in time to see Kingsnake run ahead, "...and there goes 'Solid Snake'...? So now we uh.. make a distraction?" he scratched his chin as he tried to think of a plan, looking to Grim then to Bastion for help in turn, "Maybe we'll want to wait until they pull some guards from the outside first though? Just to keep them on their toes?" he said a bit uncertainly, trying to think of this like how he would play a strategy game.

"If we had longer to prepare I could have devised a better stratagem, but as time is of the essence, I feel a two pronged approach will suffice.  Grim, follow Kingsnake and gather reconnaissance about the premises and our foes contained within; neutralize if an opportunity presents itself, but priority is identification of key targets inside the compound.  Rendezvous with Brandish and myself after you complete your sweep, and the two of us rout the guards, or barring that, leave markers on the inside so we know where to follow.  If possible sabotage any means of escape.  And if you get a chance, knock some sense into Kingsnake.  Brandish, I'm the more durable of the two of us, and I prefer ranged combat.  I'll set up an initial distraction and gather as many of the guards as I can in a single place as I can.  They'll seek cover and hunker down when I begin my assault; that's your cue to flank them and cut them down from behind when they're forced into close quarters.  Get into position and wait for my signal, you'll know it when you see it." relayed Bastion, taking the tactical lead.  

After a moment and everyone had gotten into position to begin their assault, a giant light lit up the compound. Its source was 50ft tall replica of the Bastion armor, constructed out of the same hardlight that had carried Kingsnake just a few moments ago. Bastion's amplified voice rang out over the grounds “Return what you have stolen from me!” The guards took exception to that. And wait, were they shooting lightning back at Bastion? From their fingertips? Yeah, this just got more complicated.  Bastion quickly returned fire, downing one of the guards now that he knew they were not dealing with ordinary individuals and could therefore freely use more robust munitions. 

Edited by Geez3r
Adding the action bit

Kingsnake kept to the shadows as he ducked, weaved, and tip-toed across the grounds, following the distinct combination of ozone and machine oil belonging to the thieves and their loot.  I don't like leaving the fight them.  Or leaving them alone with Malice.  Or having to admit that Malice is right.  There isn't much to like about any of this.  But he is right.  I can do more good by taking advantage of the distraction and finding the stolen weapon than I could by brawling with a few hired thugs.  He took a few deep breaths, trying to sort through the tangled knot of sounds and smells and shapes around him.  Give me something...a door, a window, even an air duct, as long as it's empty...

Grim nodded in approval.

"Sounds like a plan; I'm on it."

It was indeed a solid plan, which have her a decent amount of room to do what she did best, which was sneak around, spy on people and cause mischief. Wrapping herself In the night, the changeling became nearly undectable, though she had a hunch Kingsnake might still twig to her presence. Following him by scent wasn't very hard, but the last thing she wanted to do was cramp the taciturn hero's style; unless she heard him stuck in a battle for his very life, she planned to keep her distance. 

So instead, she focused on noting guard positions, dropping any solitary guards, and usung her claws on any communication or surveillance gear she came upon, and slashing any tires that fell into her path. She also made a note of the gear the guards wore, in case she had an opportunity to shift into one and create more mayhem.

She smiled a wistful smile none could see.

Just like back on Mars, hon; 'Greetings from Olympus Mons!'

The situation outside certainly caused the distraction that was planned for, in mere moments, bolts, blasts and explosions of everything from lasers to hellfire were raining down across the lawn of the stately manor.  With the first part of the plan, Bastion's set up and Brandish's knockdown, working quite well, and the guards realizing that they are quite outmatched, begin to think more tactically.  The guards at the far ends of the courtyard beat feet towards their respective closest entrances, namely the east and west entrances, attempting to get out of the line of fire.  Meanwhile, their compatriots laid down some suppressing fire, the two on the roof used their height advantage to send bolts of lightning at the airborne Bastion, both hitting their mark, though stopping short of putting him down.  The guards in the interior of the building on the second floor opened up the windows nearest them and began taking shots at Brandish from their position of cover. 

Elsewhere in the manor, Kingsnake was hot on the trail of the stolen power armor, as he was able to dodge around the guard patrols unnoticed.  Following the trail, he finds himself in the east wing of the manor, which seems to be a single, multiple-story library that would be the envy of most the academic world.  That however is not the center attraction of this room; that would be Malice's power armor floating unassisted 10 feet off the ground in what Kingsnake's substantial super-senses tell him is the exact dead center of the room.  At geometrically significant regions of the room, six to be precise, strange obelisks positively hum with power.  On the second floor are the only two other people in the room, at opposing north and south sides of the armor.  They are garbed in heavy black robes, bathed in incense and wearing ceremonial masks.  Kingsnake recognizes them as the thieves they have been tracking; the one on the south side closest to Kingsnake is the woman and the other the man.  They are chanting in a language that is unknown to Kingsnake, but at a volume that is scarcely audible, even to Kingsnake's ears. 

Kingsnake tried to keep the bookshelves between himself and the robed figures as he quietly stalked through the library, closing in on them.  Chanting...robes...masks...big chunks of rocks in weird shapes...Magic.  Or science and technology exploiting the trappings of magic.  Either way, not my area of expertise.  The fairy can probably fill in the blanks later.  But whether they're wizards or scientists, whether they're trying to reverse-engineer Malice's hardware or augment it, they have to be stopped.

Oh God, Grim groaned internally as she slipped from room to room of the big house. They're frickin' occultists, aren't they? Greaaaaaat!

Then it sounded light the whole compound woke up and opened fire; sounded like Bastion and Brandish were playing their role to the hilt. The changeling decided it was time to get some answers; she waited until she was alone with a guard to grab him, hold her claws to his throat to silence him, and then drag him off into the shadows for a little questioning. Now that she attacked, she would be fully visible, but that was usually better for intimidation purposes anyway.

"Hey there, big fella," she murmured as she knelt on his chest, tracing light red lines on his face with her claws. "Mind telling me why the head honchos want with Malice's suit?"

The guard seems to come out of some sort of haze before nodding his head as enthusiastically as he can without Grim's claws tearing into his face.  "Y-you gotta help us!  They're totally crazy!  They came here two months ago, I don't know what happened to the real owners, I was just working in the kitchen.  They did... things to us.  One by one they dragged us into this room they had done up with a bunch of that magic mumbo jumbo.  Giant pentagram with rings carved in the center of the room.  That creepy guy- think he's in charge- crushed some red crystal and rose petals and put the dust on our foreheads and then I could start hearing and seeing stuff that wasn't there.  I wanted - I wanted to help them.  I just had to."  Grim knows that this is a fairly common ritual, it shoves a spirit into the person making them suggestible, also gives them a bit of magical ju-ju which is probably how these guys are throwing lightning.  The connection is easily severed, pretty much any injury (or a good scare) ought to do it.  "I didn't know what they were stealing.  They called it 'hatred's vessel' and said its offering would please 'The Hollow One' whatever that means." 

Grim knows that The Hollow One is an extra-dimensional entity that was once a normal man.  It gave up its soul for power, but was brought low in eons past.  It can only escape its prison should it fill the void that was left where its soul once was.  They would likely need The Hollow One's original soul to release it completely, but it can offer boons to those that offer it pieces of other souls as the doors to its prison loosen the more it is fed.  Grim also knows that the phrase "pouring one's heart and soul" into their work takes on a far more literal meaning when magic is involved.  In all likelihood, the cultists aren't interested in Malice's suit per se, but because it was created out of raw hatred when Eric is at his worst, it can act as a tether to his soul, which they will likely offer to The Hollow One.  They've probably done something similar before, which is probably the source of their powers. 

When the guards began fleeing, Brandish assessed the situation and saw the guards running back in. Did the others get found out or were they just regrouping? 

Either way, he was sure that he couldn't let them just run away from this fight. Running with his body low to the ground, he came up behind the nearest group of fleeing guards before jumping over their heads. He did a turn midair and landed facing them in front of their path. "Did I say you could leaave?" he belted out as he swung his sword, letting loose a gout of red hellfire at his foes.

Brandish's attack prevents one of the guards from entering the premises as he quickly dives behind a nearby statue, flames licking his feet.  He didn't stay that way for long though as a moment later, he stuck his head back out from behind the safety of the stone statue to launch another bolt of lightning at the sword wielding hero.  His compatriots on the second floor quickly joined in, raining lightning down from their vantage point.  Above them, the battle between Bastion and the guards on the roof continues.  The guard slings more lightning at the armored hero, but misses his mark as Bastion rockets forward.  The latter tags the last guard with another shot from his repulsar blasts, knocking the guard out.  Bastion circles around to the front where Brandish is combating the remaining guards, floating nearly even with the guards on the second floor.  "Roof is clear." he informs Brandish as the sound of his repulsars recharging is heard over the din of battle. 

Kingsnake let half a wry grin spread under his mask as he heard the terrified thug outside blubbering about the trappings of mysticism he now saw firsthand.  They're as distracted as they're gonna get.  Now or never.  Kingsnake pulled a smoke pellet out of a pocket with one hand while pulling his whip free with the other.  The braided leather unspooled as he hurled the pellet low over the ground, directly under the floating armor.  It shattered, instantly filling the center of the room with thick black smoke.  Kingsnake could smell the smoke, could hear and feel the vibration of the pellet hitting the floor and the compressed gas rushing out of it, but of course, he couldn't see it.  He darted out from behind a bookshelf.  "Playtime's over, Children," he growled at the robed figures.  He pulled his bullwhip up over his head in an arc, then brought it slashing down at the hooded man.  A *CRACK* like a gunshot echoed through the library, and possibly outside.  "You know NOTHING of true hatred, or true darkness.  But you will learn."  You're not the only ones who understand the power of theatrics.

The masked duo had no idea Kingsnake was in the door, but the masked man in particular got a very rude awakening.  He stood defiantly in the smoke, shouting at Kingsnake (or where he thought the latter might be), pointing his finger "You dare come into our sacred circle and--PLEGH!" The rest of Hatred's likely very "important" and "memorable" speech was cut short by the distinctive sound of a full grown man in a kabuki mask getting bitchslapped with a bullwhip.  Thankfully Kingsnake was something of a connoisseur of these types of noises and he was able to appreciate the subtle intricacies as Hatred was flung bodily through the air until he impacted rather painfully with one of their ritual obelisks before crumpling to the ground in a heap.  "Hatred!" called out the woman concerned, throwing back her hood as Kingsnake could hear the hum of electricity begin to build.  Technically he was still moving, but the experience was likely painful for him.  The obelisk failed better, being knocked out of place somewhat, and getting a small crack in its exterior.  Kingsnake did seem to note that there was a distortion in the air of unknown origin and direction at the time of impact. 

Grim nodded as the poor schmuck explained the situation; yeah, innocent civilians always got it the worst in these damn cults. gently patting him on the cheek, the changeling rolled off of him and got to her feet. "Okay, buddy, you need to get up and basically run away from here as fast as you can; pretend you're Orpheus leaving the Underworld, and that looking over your shoulder might kill you, because for all you know it will." The she held out her hand and offered him a conjured bit of gauze with soothing lotion on it. "This is for-" She indicated her own cheeks. "Sorry 'bout that; you should be fine. Now get outta here."

Once the former flunky was out of sight, Grim quickly followed Kingsnake's trail, where she the 'boss fight' already in progress. Through the smoke, it sounded like Mr Black and White was occupied with the crazy dude, which left her with the crazy chick; following her ears, she quickly made her way over to the female cultist, offering her a cheerful wave.

"Hi, I'm here to disrupt your twisted ritual!" And with that, she took at swipe at her with her claws.

Edited by Heritage
  • 2 weeks later...

Brandish growls a bit in frustration that that guard got a bit lucky and that there are other guards attacking him as well. He curses himself for his own poor battle field awareness, reminding himself once again to better pay attention to what's going on around him. He glances at the other guards out of the corner of his eyes, making note of their positions. He then lets out a wild yell as he leaps next to the guard he tried to attack before. This time he goes for a more direct attack, swinging the flat of his hellfire-lit blade at the mook with the tip of the blade gouging out some material from the statue as it moves. 

Whoever that guard is, he deserves a raise, as he continues to dance just out of range of Brandish's attacks.  His own retaliation against Brandish fairs just as well however as the swordsman is able to nimbly sidestep the attack.  Trusting in their apparently skilled compatriot to finish the job, the guards on the balcony turn their attention towards Bastion.  While the armored hero is faster in a straight line than Brandish, he is far more predictable and the twin bolts of lightning strike true.  Bastion lets out a strangled "GAH!" in surprise as his suit momentarily locks up and he careens into the ground rather gracelessly.  He seems slow to get up, but otherwise not too worse for the wear. 

Elsewhere in the compound the sounds of Grimalkin and Kingsnake kicking the snot out of the cult leaders has drawn the ire and attention of their guards, who come storming into the room, with more on the way. 

Kingsnake sighed beneath his mask as he felt the vibrations from the stomping feet of the incoming guards, as their thumping heartbeats and matching footfalls painted glowing lines across his mind's eye, as the stench of their sweat and gun oil filled his nostrils.  Damn.  They held some in reserve.  Smarter than I gave them credit for.  He sidestepped into the smoke cloud, the fumes lightly caressing his skin through his jumpsuit.  He heaved his bullwhip up over his head again, building a few swings worth of momentum, before snapping it down at the standing cultist.  The air around him hissed as the braided leather cut through it, and another explosion echoed across the library like a firecracker or a gunshot.

When her claws failed to make as much of a scratch on Cultist Lady's person, Grim pursed her lips and nodded.

"Okay, my mistake; you're actually kind of a badass!"

Then she heard the sound of pounding feet from the doorway, and she sharply sucked air between her teeth.

"Jeez Louise, this is a private ritual, people! No paparazzi allowed!"

She did a quick backflip to get out of Lady Marbleskin's reach, then threw up her hand in the direction of the doorway; she couldn't see much through the smoke, but her audio picture of the room was still pretty sharp. Within the open door frame she conjured up a thick barricade of solid oak, one solid foot deep and filling the entire space; it did nothing to stop the goons already in the room, but at least it would keep out any more unwanted guests, though through a trick of her will she or any of her companions could walk through it like smoke.

Brandish is able to quickly dispatch the luckiest guard once the latter's luck runs out.  At the same time the battle in the library reaches a fevered pitch and the guards believe that now would be the opportune time for a tactical retreat.  Bastion shakes out the cobwebs and promptly gives chance to the retreating guards, landing on the balcony they just left.  Meanwhile in the library, the guards attempt to enter the fray, sending bolts of lightning into the smoke where Grim and Kingsnake were hiding out.  One of them was actually lucky enough to almost hit Kingsnake.  That being said, apparently this magic circle had a particular... reaction to magical lightning being thrown about; likely why this was one of the meta-humans that came to the manor with the suit, and why the guard's wills were bound with enchantments binding them to that particular element.  The lightning forked to the different obelisks, seemingly unerringly drawn to them.  Without being done in concert with the precise ritual that had been interrupted, three of the obelisks were overloaded and cracked open violently followed by an agonized wail of thunder echoing off the library walls.  "No lightning you idiots!" cried Mirth too late as the ritual area quickly became wrecked.