"Right then." Raina leaned against Anibal's shoulder and surveyed her chosen target. "I've never even seen you before tonight, yet here you are dropping in on the party with some weird story about being the niece of an angel or a Freedom League member or I don't even know what. It all sounds pretty damn fishy to me. And your eyeballs keep changing color when you're not paying attention to them, and that's weird too," she opined. "So here's my Truth question for you, where the hell are you even from?" 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phaedra rose from the sofa's armrest, turning away from the assembled teens for a moment.  When she turned back her eyes were fully black and crimson and her entire demeanor had changed.  "I never claimed kinship with Heyzel," she said in a voice that was suddenly rich and velvety, "but since we are seeking Truth I will not deny it either."

"As to your question I will choose to interpret it as you meaning which Hell." she told Raina, flashing the witch a perfect smile that showed some teeth--teeth that were longer and sharper than one might expect.  The carefully controlled Phaedra who was nervous about revealing who and what she was had been washed aside by both the alcohol and Raina's frosty demeanor.

"I am from the Red City, the City of Blood, Bone and Brass, the City of the Fallen.  I am from Throne."  She plucked the fake horns off her head, horns that were suddenly ashed in a burst of hellfire, before taking another drink.  "This stuff is pretty decent."

"You don't sound too bad yourself," said Riley with a grin, kissing Robin on top of her head. He'd fought enough with his own hair that he was happy to shave, but Robin's hair was one of the many very cute things about her. "Could listen to you read the phonebook." He wasn't sure what that phrase meant, exactly, but he'd heard men say it to women on his homeworld so he said it here. 

He turned himself back to the conversation everyone else was having and realized he was equally lost. Riley had no idea what Phaedra was talking about - but he could understand the horns, and the flames, and the wings... "So are yademon, or what?" he asked the question out of curiosity, the same way he'd have asked someone what neighborhood they were from.

Winifred pulled a face at Raina's teasing, not entirely sure whether what the witch was describing was a real thing or not but she offered Phaedra a pleased nod anyway as the other girl complimented the drinks. "I think we can call 'pretty decent' a qualified success, Smith," she judged as she stood back up with one last scratch behind the ears for Matt's hound. "This certainly has been an eye opening few weeks from a theological standpoint." She straightened her skirt, almost hiding a little unsteadiness as she balanced what had to be her third glass in her free hand. Walking quickly over to Raina she nodded toward the adjoining room. "Might we have a brief word, Princess?" Her tone was light but the look she gave the taller girl was significant.

Just as easily as it appeared, the grotesque disguise went away, and Raina was back to her old, gorgeous self again. The queasy discomfort disappeared as expected, and Aníbal could bring himself to smile again, discarding his silly plastic sculpture on the sofa next to him. The smile turned into a triumphant grin as Raina sat in his lap like a queen assuming her throne and wrapped her arm around his shoulder. All was well with the world, for now. He shifted a little awkwardly, hoping the warmth and softness of her proximity wouldn't trigger any telltale signs of being "happy to see her", which would be hard to conceal in spandex tights. It was time for the next contestant, and Raina chose the new girl. Somehow he wasn't surprised. There was a definitely icy undertone to their interaction moments ago, and it seemed Raina was still a little jealous of the newcomer hogging the spotlight. 

He was still a little taken aback by the barely concealed hostility in Raina's voice as she issued her challenge. "Come on. Don't be mean.", he leaned in and purred into her ear. The girl's response came swiftly, a visible change coming over her features. Out came the devilish part of the angelic newcomer, and her reply clarified its origin. The words were meaningless to him - it certainly sounded like an ominous place, but for all he knew it could have been perfectly pleasant.

"Oh. You think that's scary? She's from... Indiana.", he pronounced the last word with suitably mystical gravitas and pressed Raina closer to his chest. Pretty soon, Winifred asked to see her in private.

"By all means.", he obligingly loosened his embrace, "I'll wait right here."

Edited by TheRedGuy

Huang had been somewhat prepared for Phaedras response after her earlier display, after all she was at the least part demon though a part of him had clung to hope she was not in fact a potential interloper.  The full revelation and actual naming of the hybrids native realm on the other hand still caused him to hiss in a breath and glance around nervously.  The party getting back to his parents was likely enough as it stood, but potential interloper was another level over never get to make kissy faces with Set again.  He winced and in hushed tones suggested, "Hey maybe not so loud."  he glanced to the crowd with a weak smile, "How bout that eh, exciting stuff!"  He looked to Phaedra urging her on, "So who's next?"  he suggested and under his breath added for the half demon, "And if my parents get home early you might want to keep your head down and stick to the back."  he smiled wide with an unintentional flash of fangs, "Not that they'll be home early... probably."

"It is scary," Raina told Anibal, giving him a sober look. "If she's from Throne, that means she's either a fallen angel or an infernal creature. The whole angel-cousin thing probably means fallen angel, but that's not really much safer than an out-and-out demon." She turned her gaze on Phaedra, giving her a long, suspicious look. "It makes me wonder a lot about what a fallen angel would be doing here, living on Earth and going to mortal high school. 

She shook herself when Fred wandered over, the practiced smile sliding back onto her face. "I'm all yours," she told Fred, sliding off Anibal's lap. "Well, what parts of me aren't spoken for already. Don't forget to ask truth or dare, Phae," she advised as she strolled out of the room. 

"Yes, unattainability is surely the greater part of your allure," Winifred hummed in a light tone as she ushered Raina out of immediate earshot of the rest of the group as casually as possible, putting her recently drained cup down on an end table as she went. Once they were in the other room, she folded her arms and looked the much taller girl in the eyes as steadily as her somewhat inebriated state would allow. "Tiresome disclaimers about my deficit of modern context aside, what was that?" she demanded in a hushed tone, gesturing back into the room with her chin without looking away. "You clearly knew her origins would be a sensitive topic, if not the specifics." It was about as animated as the witch had yet seen the alchemist let herself become, usually so careful to maintain muted control rather than risk crossing the threshold that kept her alter ego at bay.

"What, no romance after all?" Raina mocked lightly, folding her arms and leaning against the edge of an ornate, if dusty, desk. "Anibal's gonna be so disappointed. And Phaedra can't be that concerned about her background if she comes in here fricking dressed as a fallen angel, not to mention reeking of infernal magic. I have been informed by pretty much every authority figure I've met in the past year that even dabbling with infernal magic makes you evil and worth suspicion, so it seemed like she might need a little checking out. Why you flipping out about it?" she asked in return, lowering her chin to regard Fred. "You're not pissed that I didn't like your wine, are you?" 

"This isn't... 'flipping out'. You've seen what happens when I 'flip out'," Winifred shot back coolly while she perceptibly took a deeper, steadying breath. "And you'll need more than a flash of ankle to turn my head. I am irked because you are meant to be better than that. All you ever talk about is the injustice of people judging you for your parents supposed crimes." The time displaced teenager was willing to give Raina's parents the benefit of the doubt having seen more than one rogue scientist branded a dangerous anarchist, though she got the distinct impression that in this case innocence was unlikely. "I thought that was why you were kind to me or to Cathy when she can't control her abilities or to Robin when other students call her a thug. Or are none of us-- Urk." Winifred's complexion had grown increasingly flushed along with her rising tone and a nauseous look interrupted the point she was trying to make. "...you may have been correct about the wine, however."

Raina hastily looked around and found a wastepaper basket, thankfully empty, under the desk. She took it over to Fred, at the same time nudging her into the seat. "Okay, how about you just have a little sit-down and let your stomach settle down, cause I don't think that wine will be any better if you see it again." She handed Fred the basket, positioning it so any vomit would be likely to hit it first.

Taking a risk, she crouched down next to Fred, which was something of a feat in her dress. "Look," she said, her voice a little softer, "I get that you don't want to see anybody get bullied. That's fair. But Phaedra's not like you or Cathy or Robin. At best, she's more like me, and we don't need anybody to defend us in social combat. At worst, she's something a lot different than any of us, and doesn't give a crap what any of us think about her anyway. Either way, there's no reason for you to be getting all upset. You want some ginger ale or something?" 

Raina's comments were partially true, for the moment the combination of the alcohol and her unsuppressed demonic side resulted in a Phaedra who was very relaxed and uncaring about what people thought of her.  She had settled back down on the couch arm she had previously vacated, crossing one perfectly formed leg over the other and smiled.  "I believe the rules permit just one question," she remarked to Raina's back as Fred took her aside, "and I trust I satisfied the first reasonably well."

"Now," the half-demon began fixing her black-and-crimson eyes on Riley, "Truth or Dare?"

"Truth," said Riley without blinking, feeling pretty fearless between the alcohol and Robin right there. He wasn't stupid enough to try anything physical right now, though, not with the unfamiliar turf and the booze. He didn't have Robin or Raina's ability to shrug off harm - or for that matter Huang's ability to not be hurt at all. "Got nothin' to hide," he said confidently, raising his glass in a toast to Phaedra. 

Phaedra cocked her head to the side to regard Riley, making a noise that sounded both surprised and thoughtful.  Not that answer she expected from Riley, and part of her rather wished he picked dare.  "Very well," she said after moment of silence.

"Have you ever, through action or inaction, caused the death of someone you knew?"  Phaedra didn't know much about the boy, but she heard some rumors as to his reputation, though she didn't really believe it.  Part of her expected, and hoped, that the answer to the question would be no.  Another part, the part that was fixing Riley with an intense look, eagerly desired for that answer to be yes.

"Missing the - urp - the point, as u-usual," Winifred managed to get out peevishly as she took deep, shuddering breaths and squeezed her eyes shut waiting for the room to stop listing about so distressingly. The muscles in her left arm twitched visibly as she gripped the edge of the wastebasket Raina had given her but for the moment at least it looked like so long as nothing else upset her they weren't going to get an unwelcome visit from the Alkahest. "Wouldn't - hah - let anyone speak to you that way, either. Have to - have to band together or - or - Oh, why do I keep drinking things I make...?!" Whatever train of thought she'd been pursuing seemed entirely abandoned in favour of keeping the contents of her stomach under control.

"It's a mystery," Raina agreed sympathetically, giving Fred a light pat on the back. "The trick is to give the stuff you make to people like Riley who don't know any better, until you eventually manage to come up with something drinkable. And even with the good stuff, at your size you gotta be careful, cause you can't hold very much. When my mother started teaching me about wines, I was about as big as you, and I'd get about a thimbleful of each one at a time. But I was like eleven then." 

She straightened up, perched once again on the edge of the desk. "Okay, how about this? If I'm wrong, if we go back to the party and Phaedra looks like anything I said to her bothered her, I'll take her aside and we'll talk about it. I'm like 99% sure she doesn't give a damn and I won't need to, but if she's all upset, then I will. Good?" 

Riley's eyes narrowed as he looked at Phaedra, his face and posture not looking like a bootlegger's anymore - more like a predator sizing up another. Nothing to be afraid of. "Someone I knew? No." 

In a heartbeat after that, Riley was on his feet, the alcohol and adrenaline in his system mixing like fuel and flame. "I bet you think that's really funny, huh!? You and the god team sticking together?! You gonna ask where my dick is too?!" he spat at her feet before turning and stalking out of the room, throwing open the door (even now, without slamming it) as he glowered his way past Raina and Fred and down the hall.

Robin was glad she'd only stopped at the few sips of alcohol. Her instincts had told her the party might turn volatile although she'd been expecting the outburst from Alkahest and not her boyfriend. She rose in one smooth motion, casting a glance over towards Phaedra's bewilderment and giving her a small shrug, "Had to know that was going to hit a nerve."

Robin pointed out before she slipped over the back of the couch to follow Riley, snagging her jacket and backpack on her way out of the room. A wave of her fingertips indicated that she had the archer in hand to the assembled room and gestured towards Huang to indicate it was his job as host to pick up the thread of the party game. She added to Phae's question an explanation of, "Riley's ex-roommate had an issue with him being trans. He's got wings and some sort'a holy magic and he's an asshole. I got it. I got him."

Without explaining further she turned to follow her boyfriend down the hallway, hopefully before he found a hiding place. Riley was much better at hiding than she was at finding him. She, too, passed Raina and Fred in pursuit of her significant other. "Riley. Wait up."

Riley spun on his heel, heedless of Fred and Raina standing right there, the former looking rather green. "Well what am I supposed ta do 'bouthat, huh?" Riley demanded, gesturing backwards at the room they'd hastily vacated. "Walkin' around this place fulla people who could rip my head off with their bare freakin' hands, and everyone acts like I'm a crazy psychapath because I come from a place that isn't as shiny bright as Happy Cloud Heaven?" he demanded. "It's not like demon girl's the first person to ask if I ever killed somebody, dammit!" He ran his hand over his shaved head; "I don't care what kinda place she's from, or what kinda place this is, that isn't something ya joke about at some...some drunk party." 

With an unfortunately times and unfortunately loud retching sound Winifred emptied her stomach and filled the wastebasket held between her knees. "Mmnnh... Leave you people alone for two bloody minutes..." she half-muttered and half moaned, complexion alarmingly grey apart from the flush across her nose and cheeks. She turned to look up at Raina with a miserable expression born only in part from her nausea. "I appreciate you n-not saying that you told me so. It w-would appear I owe you-- hhugh--!" Another surge of vomit came up as she hastily turned her head away and back to the wastebasket, doing a remarkable job of keeping it contained all things considered. "...I don't believe I enjoy Hallowe'en at all. S-sorry to waste our hard work, Smith."

Matt had been pretty happy to sit back and watch the others socialize, rusty as he was, but even he had to wince a bit at both the question Riley was asked and the boy's reaction to it. The would-be psychopomp and his dog both turned their heads to watch their roommate storm out of the room, frowning.

The dog's frown lasted a lot less time than Matt's did. "Well! That was exciting," it said in a voice like rich smoke and gravel, craning its head back around to look at Matt. "Your drink must be very good if it does that to people. I want some."

"You can't have any," Matt replied, taking a defiant sip. "Ain't good for you."

"Fine. Then I want more sausage?"

"Ehh...later. You'll get sick." "I won't." "Yeah, you will. And don't worry too much about Riley," he belatedly added, shrugging at Phaedra. "He's...he's a little Riley sometimes. He'll be okay. Maybe don't push that button in the future, though."

Once he wasn't picked next for the game Huang jumped on the opportunity to step out and grab some snacks to bring in while Riley picked his poison and what not.  He stared a moment at the spread and grabbed a bowl before backing into room with everyone else and turning to present his prize, "Hey guys I brought Combos!"  he announced celebratorily because nothing kept a party going like a snack of stale cracker stuffed with the flavor of broken dreams.  His timing was perhaps unfortunate as he missed the question and most of the answer his words trailing Rileys retreat as eh shrugged at Robins meaningful glare, "Uuuuuuuh,"  He murmured and nodded, "Alright then."  

As the dog spoke he snapped around to look at the unfamiliar voice and blinked, "Whoa talking dog, sweet."  the dhampir responded with more curiosity than shock a the revelation and decided to go with it, "Alright alright cool, So uh talking dog, Truth or dare!"  he asked with a grin and mouthed, 'truth' at the animal with a wink and nod toward Matt.  HE was either unaware or more likely artfully ignoring ht retching from the other room after all this is why one had magic and ghostly servants.  Not like the ghosts hadn't seen worse after Jacks parties before Taylor had forbid them at the manor.

Edited by angrydurf

To its credit, the dog looked to Matt before answering - whatever its sass-laden or food-seeking behavior might have been, it was clear who held the leash.

Matt hesitated before taking a quick sip of improvised alcohol and waving permission...an action he almost immediately wished he could take back when his dog laughed, flashing canine teeth and thumping its tail against the floor. "Haha! There are not enough of my brothers and sisters here for a dare. Truth! And then sausages."

Matt took another sip and grimaced into his cup. "I'm gonna regret this. I already regret this."

Well, that went badly... Aníbal winced at the awkwardness that ensued after Phaedra directed a bizarrely pointed question at Riley, who left in a huff after a terse, hostile non-reply. Sure, truth or dare was about revealing uncomfortable secrets, but this was ridiculous. Perhaps causing the death of one's acquaintances was not a matter of great import in whatever Throne was, but here it was an accusation that packed quite a punch. Raina's earlier aggressiveness towards the new girl didn't seem so misplaced anymore. The fact everyone was a little drunk and on edge didn't help matters much. When the host returned with snacks, seemingly oblivious as to what had transpired, Aníbal flashed him a look of bemused pity. Poor Huang obviously put in a lot of effort into making this party an enjoyable experience for everyone, but it wasn't really going as planned. Entertaining guests was an art form, quite often a nerve-wracking ordeal that required deftly balancing dozens of elements into a harmonious whole, and Huang was still learning. Aníbal shrugged and stood up, surprised by how light-headed and unsteady on his feet he was after a only a few cups of the stuff. Robin had gone to check up on Riley, and he decided to see what Raina and Fred were up to. The demonic/angelic girl seemed truly perplexed by Riley's reaction, and the weird kid was talking to his dog. Who talked back. 

Aníbal looked at the dog, then at Grim, then at the dog again, then at Huang, and then turned towards the hallway and shook his head. Talking dogs. Sure. Okay. Wasn't the weirdest thing he'd seen this evening. He passed by the host, stopping to pinch a couple of Combos from the bowl and pop them into his mouth. They weren't great, but hopefully they'd absorb some of the aftertaste left from Riley's wine.

"I'll be right back", he said as he made his way to the hallway leading out of the room. A few moments later he made his way to the side room where Raina and Winifred had withdrawn to speak in private. He paused at the doorway, leaning on the wall with his arms folded on his chest, observing the pair with a smile. It seemed the drinks had disagreed with Fred more violently than with the others. Further away, he could hear Riley yelling and Robin trying to calm him down.

"Everything okay in here?", he asked and moved towards the girls. The smell of vomit emanating from the wastebasket suggested otherwise, and caused some rather unpleasant stirring in his own stomach. Fortunately, he was able to keep it under control. He gave the suffering girl a reassuring, friendly smile and waved his hand theatrically. A few seconds later, the air in the room began to circulate, carrying the smell away from its source and freshening the air around them. It wasn't much, but perhaps it would make some small difference.

"Well, this party's turning into a bit of a shambles...", Aníbal remarked with a shrug of resignation. "We should probably get Winifred here some water, no? Or a, what are they called, energy drink? And maybe get that basket away from her, it'll just make her feel sicker seeing and smelling the stuff."