Huang grinned at the Talking dogs reply as he started to comb through what kinda juicy secret to try to get out of the familiar.  After the rather harsh former rounds he wanted to go for funny more than dig deep, maybe the most embarrassing thing they'd seen Matt do?  However before he managed to get a question out Anibal rose and made hasty exit as well leaving less than half the party goers in the room still and what fun was hilarious and mildly embarrassing stories without a proper audience.  He considered his other options for something just informative, an icebreaker to get things rolling again but that seemed out.  The dhampir let out a small sigh this was going poorly in all the wrong ways, way more sad and depressing revelations than hilarious hijinks.  He was about to just call the game off when the swing of the door and breeze of manipulated air carried the scent of Freds party foul into the room and instead he wrinkled his nose and stammered, "Do, do you smell that?"

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"That is not an interesting truth," the dog noted, grin falling into disappointment. "I do. We do," it amended, regaining at least some of its personal amusement as it shot a look at Matt.

Matt was trying his best to bury his nose in his cup without looking like he was burying his nose in his cup, in the vain hope that the smell of the drink could overwhelm the smell of its effect on Winifred. "....y...yeah. We do," he supplied, wiping at his nose. "Someone's not feeling great over there."

"The one that gives pettings," the dog guessed, sniffing at the air with a dog's resistance to disgust. "I do not want your drink anymore."

Robin winced at the retching from inside the room, automatically scrunching her nose in distaste as the smell wafted past her. She shifted, dropping her backpack and leather jacket with a soft thump on the hallway carpet before she propped her hands on her hips.

"You already know that I agree with you that its a crappy thing to bring up," Robin pointed out, her tone even and almost mellow in contrast with Riley's agitated demeanor. "And you already know that even with all the weird backgrounds, most kids here don't have the sort'a life and death background that you got."

She tipped her head to the side, giving an impatient shake to clear her bangs from falling in her eyes. Robin wasn't used to having her hair loose enough to obscure her vision and she was finding the tendency to get in her face without a bandana or hat to hold it back irritating. She paused for a long moment before pointing out, "I've got powers too. We don't even know what they are or where it comes from, and you're not afraid I'm going to rip your head off. Unless... Are you?"

In the other room Phae's look of confusion had given away to irritation and a little anger, and it was clear she was still thinking about Riley's reaction to her question than what had happened since.  "I was aware of his reputation," she began unsolicited.  "I thought that surely he wouldn't have cultivated it if he wasn't prepared for the questions in generates."

She looked in the direction of the kitchen, brows knitted in anger.  "He is lucky I am not like my father or my mother.  He would not have made it three steps after making such an outburst."

"I've seen it."

Huang wrinkled his nose at the dogs response, "Wha- oh yea kinda was huh."  he shrugged and pulled his gaze from the room where someone had puked on something hopefully not priceless or blessed or cursed or something.  "I think the game has kinda wound down what with most everyone off to have their chats."  he admitted nonplussed.  

He flashed a fanged smile to Phaedra and waved off the drama, "Aww Riley talks a big game but he's mostly harmless."  he assured her frankly.  He frowned slightly, "And I dunno why he felt the need to talk about his junk."  he said with a shrug, "not cool regardless but he comes from some other world where society got eaten by bears or something."  He blew off the outburst and its cause nonchalantly, "I'm sure robin'll calm him down and after he'll owe you one for giving her an excuse yea?"  he suggested with a laugh.

Riley's blood was pounding in his ears as he saw the look on Robin's face and wondered just how deep a hole he'd dug for himself here. Maybe he should have put his shot off for the first of the month. No, man, it's not like you're getting jacked up on roids - you're just - "Baby, you gotta understand, the way things are here, where everyone's running around with powers, it's not...it's not the way things are. Where I'm from." He'd been about to say natural before realizing just how that would have sounded. "Doesn't it make you at least a little nervous? Knowin' how much everyone is packin'? Speakin of...." 

With a water in hand for Fred, he handed off the glass, then ran his hands through his closely-shaven hair again. "Ya just drank too much, Fred. Take it easy and you'll be OK." 

He glared at the door, aware that Anibal, Fred, and Raina were all there too, but thanks to the booze and his own taunt emotions, the words came anyway. "I screwed it all up. They're probably all laughing now."

"We know precisely where my abilities originate and concern regarding the ripping off of head is wholly reasonable," Winifred volunteered helpfully as she accepted the glass of water without looking up, voice tight despite her effort to regain some outward composure. Focusing on one point on the floor seemed to be helping but not much. "Ah, that was what you meant. Yes. Good. All on the same page, then." Finally glancing upward she didn't look much more pleased by the number of witnesses than Riley. "I could p-probably retch some more if you thought the distraction would be welcome, Smith. Ugh. I doubt anyone is laughing; surely Matthew has had ample to time to get used to... you." The alchemist made a vague gesture that encompassed all of the survivalist, green eyes glazing slightly. "Regardless, we can be event ruining pariahs together. Hooraaaaay..." She managed a wan smile before being interrupted by another dry heave and grimacing.

"Nope," Robin replied, her answer swift and certain. Of course, this was the same girl that had taken no issue with the potential roommate troubles of having to perhaps wrestle Alkahest in the near future. Her grey eyes were almost unnaturally calm. "Don't matter how much firepower there is to deal with. Normal person can create unholy carnage with a handgun or a pipe bomb or a plain ol' car. What matters is how willing you are to use it and nobody at this party has that kind of mayhem inside 'em. It's just not there."

Robin gave a little shrug of her scarred shoulders then. "It's fine. I'm pretty sure stuff is supposed to happen at parties. It'll all blow over by Monday."

Edited by alderwitch

"Anybody can do anything if you push them far enough," replied Riley with the conviction born of experience - the same experience that, for Robin, had taken her in a different direction. But philosophical disagreements weren't the same as personal disagreements - so there was no heat in his voice. He found himself gradually calming down under the influence of his shame - and Robin's presence. He was acutely aware that after months of trying to keep people from talking about it, he'd just gone ahead and made it the topic of conversation after yelling it at the top of his lungs. Goddamit. No more drinking. "Thanks, baby." He hugged Robin lightly, an apologetic look on his face. "I'll just...go back in. You take it easy, Fred, let me know if you need help." 

He pushed open the door to the rest of their group and headed inside, doing his best to keep his head held high. "Sorry, ever'body. Drank t'much." He hesitated a bare instant before adding, "Sorry, Phaedra." 

• 2 weeks later...

"Well, this is an exciting start to the social season at Claremont," Raina said cheerfully, swinging the wastebasket deftly back under Fred's face. "I'm just gonna go ahead right now and suggest store-bought wine coolers and a swimming pool for the next get-together. I think we may not be up to the homebrew and intimate secrets level of party expertise yet." When Fred finished her latest bit of vomiting, Raina grimaced and shoved the wastebasket into the nearest closet to be dealt with later. "Honestly, I was expecting something more along the lines of tiny candy bars and ghost stories. We're in this creeptastic house that drips with death energy, but I haven't seen a single ghost," she pouted prettily. 

"Sure is...", Aníbal agreed with Raina's assessment of the party so far. All beginnings were difficult, but this one seemed far more difficult than necessary. He'd seen his fair share of mismanaged parties that went awry, but this was especially bad - things didn't even go badly in a spectacular, interesting fashion, which would at least provide some focus and excitement. Instead, it just seemed to peter out into boredom and recriminations. Upset feelings and upset stomachs were not a good basis for fun. He shrugged.

"Yeah, it's... it's kinda lame. I don't know what I expected, really.", Aníbal remarked under his breath, "Given all that's happened so far, I don't think ghosts would help matters much. There's a talking dog in the other room, though, if you're interested. It was his turn to play when I left, but honestly, I don't think we should continue the game any further."

He awkwardly adjusted his tights. "I'm uh, going back. You two feel free to join us whenever you're ready.", he said, and left the room after politely nodding a farewell to the two ladies. When he rejoined the rest of the group, he noted the lingering stench of vomit had wafted out from the other room. So that's where it went, he thought, and discretely recirculated the air, sending the foul odor to the corners.

"Okay, I think we all learned that the truth can hurt.", he commented, turning to Huang, "So, I'd say it's best we cancel truth or dare and find something else to do. Anyone have any suggestions?".

Because it was a beautiful night, Avenger and Phantom teleported onto the front lawn rather than into their bedroom. Alone time had come more sparingly in the last few years, whether the intimate sort or simply the sort where they were together beneath the stars. Not long after their arrival, though, Avenger took Phantom in his arms and kissed her passionately, with a fire in his lips that belied his undead state. "By the dark gods, you are beautiful," he told her with a predator's warmth for his mighty mate in his voice, the look of passion in his eyes clearly visible despite his heavy mask. "Of course, you _did_ take down all those cultists by yourself - which means I need to prove my worth to you," he teased as a ghost opened the mansion's front door for them. "I have a few ideas about that..." 

As if the complaint about lack of ghosts had summoned them, a shimmering form wisped up through the floorboards in front of Huang - never quite taking solid form as it murmured in hollow tones, "Your parents have returned, young master." It was not quite the early warning that Huang had hoped for when he'd instructed the ghostly servant to keep him appraised, but it was something at least. 

Outside on the lawn, Phantom's boots made no sound as they touched down onto the lawn - her cloak settling out in billowing folds over the grass. She didn't step away from the circle of Avenger's arms, tipping her head back under her hood. Her gloved fingertips ran down the heavy leather of his jacket until she could flatten her palms over where his heart no longer beat.

"I wouldn't say all by myself," Phantom replied throatily, her gloved fingers curling into his jacket. "It's easier to knock cultists around when they've been terrified out of their wits... Still, I won't turn down that offer. What did you have in mind?" Phantom wanted to know as she took a step forward as her fingers tightened around one chain, "I did miss this--"

Through the vomiting, the outbursts, the vulgar displays of power, even the somewhat backhanded discussion of the party from Anibal, Huang had remained resolutely jovial trying his level best to play the part of host as he thought it was meant to be played.  The on cue arrival of the ghost was even met with a smile as he gestured for Raina, "Well ask and you shall -"  he broke off at the spirits warning however, "Home?"  he asked incredulously, it seemed unspeakable cults were not the speed bump to romance they once were.  Huang went several shades paler than his usually waxen hue and stared gaping at the ghost, "Already?"

"Ahh well then."  he spoke louder to gather the attention of those in the room and hopefully the next, "All good things must com to an end and all a that."  he intoned and murmured under his breath, "Like apparently my freedoms."  he gestured toward the front of the house, "Best be gone before they get here, I'll tidy up."  he announced and glared at the ghost, "Get the others we have to clean up!"  he hissed quietly and put on a burst of vampiric speed to peek out the front windows catching sight of his parents in the drive.  With an old slavonic curse that shot from his lips with visible power to singe a cushion on an antique couch, he returned in a flurry of inhuman haste, "Aaaahhhah or maybe..."  he paused for a moment as he scoured his mind for an alternative point of egress, "The back door!"  he announced gleefully and ran to the heavily locked oaken door murmuring incantations to release the locks before flinging it open to reveal the empty star specked void beyond.  "You'll all probably be fine, mostly."  he said reassuringly as he gestured at the not at all safe seeming step into nothing.

By the time Riley returned Phaedra's features were like when she arrived; the fangs were gone, the eyes had returned to their cold grey and even the wings had vanished.  She looked up at the young man as he uttered his apology and shrugged her perfectly shaped shoulder.  "We will discuss it later," was all she had to say in response though she did offer him a faint smile.

With Huang suddenly ushering them out, she stood up smoothly and said, "I have a quicker means."  With one hand extended a dark red-black line formed in the air, twisted, and spiraled into a circle.  Through the circle were the familiar grounds of Claremont, though a little far afield from the dormitories.

"Well, not gonna say no to that. C'mon," he called to his dog, gesturing toward the portal. "And hey...thanks for the invite. It was fun, minus the, uh, vomit. Lemme know if you're doing another of these."

He made it most of the way to the portal before pausing, turning back to the ghosts, and somehow, for the briefest of moments, looking more fitting to his costume than he should have. "If any of you ever want help moving on, I'll be around the city. Send me a message or something."

And then he and his dog were gone.

Having barely sat back down, Riley was on his feet again at the news that the owners of the house were home. He didn't know Huang's parents that well - but he certainly understood being caught in someone else's space and the threat that posed, even if the biggest threat here was embarrassment. "Cool party," he admitted to Huang, deciding to join everyone else in flight as he heard what definitely sounded like a commotion coming towards them. "Keep the booze!" He headed straight for the room's window and with a smooth, practiced motion  undid the locks and slid it upwards. "See you at the spot," he called to Robin with a grin before jumping out of the window and disappearing into the darkness outside. 

Aníbal's eyes were fixed on the spectacle of a nervous, zooming Huang, who was apparently terrified of the prospect of his parents coming home early. He himself quietly welcomed the news. The parents seemed like the ideal people to put an otherwise wheezing party out of its misery. It wasn't Huang's fault, of course, but even though the night was still young, the energy level had decisively dropped. Finally, the young dhampir stopped whooshing around and nervously opened a portal to... what was that? A starry void opened up where the door used to be. Aníbal didn't know much about magical stuff, but that looked dangerous. Maybe it just looked like outer space, or maybe it was - either way, he wasn't going to step through that without some assurances. Huang's rather uncertain promise that they'd probably be safe didn't inspire confidence.

"Güey... Um, Huang, man, look...", he addressed the host, "I think you're going to have to give us more than probably fine if you want us to go through that thing."

Soon, the new girl opened her own portal. This one looked much nicer. You could see Claremont through it, which was a good sign. This one he was prepared to go with. As Riley made his way out the window, Aníbal turned to Raina.

"So, do we take the new girl's portal or fly home?", he whispered the question, "If you're taking Winifred, I'm not sure her stomach could handle flying through the air. But, your call." 

Raina was visibly fascinated by the doorway into the Void, stretching out both her hands toward it as though warming them over a fire. "It tingles on my skin," she noted with a pleased little shiver. "Why didn't you show us this part of the house first?" she asked Huang. "Now I'm going to have to come back later." Raina's attention was drawn away to the other portal, the much safer-looking portal that nonetheless dripped with infernal energies. "Well, it would be the fastest way back," she was forced to agree. "But it's not as fun." 

She turned to Fred. "Hey Fred, you wouldn't mind taking the portal back while Anibal and I fly home, would you?" she asked with an ingratiating grin. "Wouldn't want to put your stomach through any more tonight than it already has been, right? I'll look in on you later, bring you some crackers. Kay, bye!" Grabbing Anibal's hand, she raced for her broom and the nearest set of terrace doors. "Hop on!" she encouraged, settling herself sidesaddle with decorous haste. "I don't think we wanna meet the parents." 

Winifred made a vague wave of dismissal in answer to Raina's smiling plea, recognizing that the taller girl was going off unchaperoned regardless and resigning herself with what little dignity she had remaining. With a distinctly unladylike sound she pulled herself to her feet, swaying back and forth for a moment before finding some modicum of balance. Matt had already made his way through Phaedra's portal apparently unscathed and with Riley following suit the unwell alchemist supposed just this once she could accept the violation of all reason and natural law without any immediate questions. Moving as quickly as she dared she made her way in that direction but paused when she reach Huang. "I... made a mess of your basket," she admitted miserably, nodding toward the closet into which the receptacle had been tossed. They hadn't been on the best of terms but with slumped shoulders and flushed cheeks the Victorian woman looked utterly defeated, her usually perfect posture forgotten.

"Yeah, we probably don't.", Aníbal agreed. He felt a little sorry for Huang. Leaving him to fend for himself as his parents arrived didn't feel right. On the other hand, the party was his idea. Never take a risk if you can't face the consequences. As Raina dragged him outside, he felt the night's chill on his bare torso and shuddered, pulling his cape over his chest. The proposed mode of conveyance made him hesitate. That looked super uncomfortable. It occurred to him that there were precious few depictions of warlocks riding brooms, the reason for this being rather obvious. However, when Raina sat sidesaddle, he moved forward and sat down next to her in the same manner, wrapping one arm around her waist and holding on to the broom with the other.

"Brrr...", he huddled next to her, pressing her closer to siphon off some warmth, "Okay, let's get out of here."