Restless Nights and Hollow Days

alderwitch

Winifred looked like what she probably wanted was a hug and a good cry but with previous little chance of her indulging in either she simply gave Robin a small, jerky nod. "Ah, y-yes. Water would be lovely, thank you." She continued to carefully modulate her breathing but the sympathetic advice seemed to have helped a bit. "I... I understand, of course, that they... passed at least a century ago. Everyone... everyone I had ever known or spoken to or-- For me, though, it's been only weeks any and I don't... I don't know that I can afford to let myself even think about it, not with the consequence for my upset being so high." It was an obvious effort for her to force out the words, a stark contrast to her usually precisely enunciated and well organized speech.

"The consequences being that you might try and smack me against the wall? S'okay, Fred. They wouldn't have put us together if they weren't sure I'd be alright. I don't trust grownups a whole lot, but I've already seen what happens when you freak out and I'm not scared about it happening again," Robin pointed out prosaically as she stood and crossed to get the requested water. She came back with a cup in short order that she pressed into Fred's fingers as she sat back down, "I can keep you busy until someone shows up to get you sorted out but if you don't wanna think about it, I'm sure not gonna make you. I know the advantage of keeping emotions under wraps." The last she added with a very faint smile. 

Winifred huffed quietly, though Robin's words did seem to life her spirits marginally. "Promising that the Alkahest might only gravely injure you rather than kill you outright is not quite so reassuring as you may think," she told her roommate in a prim tone that was marred somewhat by a sniffle that had her turning away again for a moment until she'd composed herself once more. "I do still appreciate the sentiment, however." Accepting the cup of water she took a small, careful sip, wary of the tightness in her throat and making a mess from her seated position. Hesitantly she continued, "...I imagine you have some questions about how I came into my current... condition. You've been gracious with my own inquires, I shall endeavor to return the favour."

"I am remarkably resilient," Robin pointed out with a matter of fact tone to her voice. She gave Fred a little shrug at her offer and pointed out, "I don't ask about other people's pasts. I don't really like talking about a lot of my own so it doesn't seem fair to pry. Besides, I'm bad at talking. I'd probably end up finding all the wrong questions to ask even if I did give it a go. But, if you wanna talk about what happened, if that's something that would make you feel better, I'm more'n willing to listen."

She shifted on Fred's bed, pulling her legs up to cross them and give Fred her full attention, "I mean, I know that it was something like an experiment that went wrong. You've said as much that there were some goals that the serum was supposed to do and it wasn't quite right what happened."