"Absolutely, Cathy, get your butt out here!" Raina had taken the opportunity to change as well, slipping into a little dress of black and deep red that was more notable by its absences than by its presence. Scooped at the neck and leaving one arm totally bare, it appeared to be nearly vacuum-sealed to her body, with a daring jewel-shaped cutout along one side stretching facets of white skin nearly to her bellybutton. She wore it with perfect confidence, looking as though she wore this sort of outfit every night and twice on Saturdays. "Okay, everybody dressed?" 

She took a look at her assembled troops, then broke into a broad smile and clapped her hands. "You guys, look at us!" she all but squealed. "We look so incredibly hot! This is going to be _amazing!_ Now we just need the accessories, and we're so there. Quick quick, we're burning mall business hours!" Without giving anybody much chance to object, she hustled them back into the changing rooms, then to the cash register, where Merlin surreptitiously passed her a credit card to use. Wherever the monkey had come up with the money, the transaction went through fine. "All right, makeup next," Raina ordered. "If we had more time we'd all sit down for a makeover from the stylist, but I don't know if we can do that today. Do any of you actually wear makeup or know what kind of colors you should wear?" she asked them all. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst Raina was otherwise distracted Cathy slipped her coat back on and zipped it up to the top, she wasn’t quite ready to show off that much cleavage yet. Hopefully back sticking to back she was hoping not to get noticed for long enough to get away with it, her height didn’t help these matters though.

“I’m not sure what make-up looks good on me. It difficult to get make-up for my skin tone back home, and if I wore my mum's I look like a clown! So I don’t tend to wear make-up.”

She was actually fine with not having to wear makeup but she was pretty sure that raina had a different take on the whole thing.

"Nope, never worn any," Robin replied, slinging her worn jacket back on over the top of her clothes although she left it open, thrusting her hands back into her pockets once more. She didn't elaborate more than that but it wasn't perhaps surprising. Anything that strayed close to the topic of Robin's life outside of the school tended to be a non-starter. She shifted the topic, "Can I just get away with some lipstick and call it a day though? I know that if makeup is anything like underclothes there are going to be no actual 'nude' colors that look anything like me and lipstick seems like the easiest thing to not screw up."

Hannah smiled. "I know how to apply makeup, I'll take Cathy, Robin, go with Raina." Makeup was in her realm of knowledge, at least, even if high fashion wasn't. "I can pick out something good, something that will work with your skin tone but won't be too...vivid." She nodded. "This is one thing I do know how to do." She said with a smile. "Colors are my thing." She gave a little smile and looked at each of the girls, wondering if they'd go with her plans.

"Perfect!" Raina beamed at Hannah like a proud parent. "At least you guys both have good skin, so we might be able to get away without foundation if we have to. But we've gotta do something with your eyes," she told Robin. Rather than deal with the department store's kiosks, she led the way a few doors down to a dedicated makeup and accessories shop. "You've got pretty eyes, but you should be accentuating them. Some mascara, a really bold shadow, and the taming of the eyebrows and your whole face will pop. It'll be great!" She began pulling eyeshadow samplers off the shelf and holding them up to Robin's face consideringly. 

Cathy stilled looked a little sceptical about the whole makeup thing but the others seemed, apart from Robin, sure that this was a good idea.

“Oh... okay let’s go see what we can do with a little makeup.” she gave a little success action with her arms, but didn’t appear completely convinced. “But if you make me look like a clown there be trouble.” she managed an even less convincing smile

Then weakly she allowed herself to led away to her makeup induced doomed, clothes were one thing but makeup was a different deal whatsoever.

"'Taming'?" Robin said with a dubious note in her voice but she trailed after the irresistible force that was Raina. She went to tuck her hands in her pants pockets before realizing that of course there were none. With a small scowl, she adjusted her hands to slip into the pockets of her jacket. Fortunately, Robin's pain tolerance was very high so the minor pinch of any plucking was unlikely to get a rise out of her, "Sure, okay. Whatever you want to do. Just don't poke me in the eye."

Robin stood there as Raina checked the shades against her skintone. Robin had pretty skin, a soft brown that made her light eyes stand out already. Any additional dark makeup would probably only enhance that effect, "My eyebrows aren't wild animals."

"No, more like overgrown bushes obscuring the beauty of the stained glass windows of your eyes," Raina replied cheerfully, selecting one shade she liked more than the others. "It's nothing to be ashamed of, you should have seen mine before I started plucking regularly. It was like I had yetis stapled to my face. We're gonna go simple here, eyebrows, eyes, a little concealer to cover the baggies, and some lip stuff. You're real lucky, you've got pretty skin." Raina briskly selected shadow in a slightly metallic purple, a tube of mascara, eyeliner, and lipstick. She went for midrange brands, nothing too expensive, but nothing likely to make Robin's skin attempt to crawl off and escape. A good pair of tweezers, and they were ready for the checkout. "I've already got all my stuff in my purse," she explained breezily. "First thing I got when we got some money. Merlin's got his priorities, I've got mine. Let's see if the others are ready." 

Whilst she didn’t wear much makeup usually she had done some research on the matter, they did have the Internet all the ways in the wilds of Scotland. So between herself and Hannah they went for a series of light subtle shades to subtly enhanced her incredibly pale skin, she was pretty pleased with the results they’d managed to achieve and ended up with a decent amount of suitable makeup in case this happened again.

Still she felt a little nervous as they met back up with Raina and Robin, in case she’d not done as good as job as she thought.

“I think I’m all ready now. Do we have anything else to do before we hit the clubs?”

• 2 weeks later...

"Sure, whatever you wanna do," Robin agreed phlegmatically as she had already consigned herself to going along with whatever Raina deemed necessary. It wasn't like she had an actual clue what one did for this sort of a party, unless it was showing up with a mask on to punch people. Robin still thought that might make a more interesting evening out than trying not to get groped on at a dance club. She caught Cathy's nerves as the other girl approached and offered her a small smile, "It looks good." She offered approvingly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hannah smiled. "Don't worry, you look fine." She said. "Your skin tone just means we need to apply lighter shades to you. I think it makes your eyes pop. Make up can work on any skin tone." She looked at the other girls, and sighed, resigning herself to the party. "I'm ready when you guys are." She managed with some difficulty. She was going along with it because that's what she needed to do, but she was still quite nervous about the whole thing. The closest thing to a party she'd ever been to was her friend's birthday party at six years old, and she was sure there would be no magician at this one.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the hottest places to go had no real name, most just called it the Club, and to go you had to know where it was currently being held as it constantly moved location. Lucky Robin knew the right kind of people and it hadn’t taken to long to find the place, an old condemned warehouse it the shadiest part of the Fens. Even though it was still quite early there was a crowd snaking around the block and they could expect a long wait, but they’d been picked out as a couple of pretty girls and allowed to jump the que. Even Cathy’s “exotic” look was apparently a good enough draw to allow her early access, which pleased the young Scot no end.

The club was mostly empty space with impromptu tables around the edge of the massive dance floors that were mostly shrouded in darkness with smoke of various types lazy floating around. Slightly less ramshackle was an apparently fully stocked bar that had already doing a healthy business. The dance floor was still a little empty, with only a few brave souls dancing away to the beat, though the floor was light in a constantly changing riot of colors from a rather decent lightling rig. From where the girls stood you couldn’t hear anything over the thumping beat, though from the few in shadows there were places where a conversation could be had.

Raina had almost seemed disappointed by how easy it had been for them to get into the club after all her hard work and preparation, but any gloom evaporated nigh-magically upon actually entering. "This is great!" she enthused, looking around. "Just like how I imagined it would be. Except for the smell, I guess." Already the scent of many human bodies was beginning to impinge upon the less-than-thoroughly ventilated space, but nobody around them seemed to care. "Come on, let's go get some drinks, and then we can dance!" She had no intention of getting sloppy tonight, but a little alcohol was good for lowering inhibitions, something that all her ducklings could use a little help with. She shimmied up to the bar and gave the bartender an easy smile as she leaned in. "Four cosmos, please!" She turned to Robin, who was standing closest, and shouted quietly so as not to carry over the music, "You'll like them, they're sweet." 

Robin watched the entire party with a flat expression on her face as she scanned the crowd for any potential trouble. Raina had successfully prettied up the Fens' native's exterior but there was little to be done over the way that Robin approached a crowded, illicit party. Once she'd mentally marked concerning parties, she turned her attention back just as Raina was ordering drinks, "Sure," Robin agreed with a shrug of her shoulders, willing to indulge in a drink. It was doubtful a single glass of anything would have much effect on the robust young woman, "Why aren't more people dancing yet?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Just because I ain't got the party started, hot stuff," came a response to Robin's question. The speaker was a young man with frosted blonde hair and a short goatee, wearing an expensive polo shirt over tight black jeans. "Hi, I'm DJ E," he said, pointing to the monogram over his right breast. "My crew and  start in ten minutes. Can I play something for you and your friends?" he asked, shooting a wink back at Robin's friends. The titular DJ E had a small crew of like-dressed young men with him, each with similar hairstyles and wearing the same monogrammed shirt. 

The bartender checked Raina's ID, raised one eyebrow, then said, "Four cosmos, comin' up." He brought Raina the drinks and waited for both the money and his tip before nodding and handing her the drinks. As she collected the booze for her girls, Raina noticed something strange across the room - the pretty blonde in the see-through lace and garters (the one who was keeping two boys on a string at the same time) 'tinged' her magic senses; the shiny gold amulet the girl wore definitely was some kind of magical artifact. 

"Cor! I love your skin!" said a red-headed woman who approached Cathy, smiling warmly as she looked the ice controller over. "Is that yours, or did somebody do it? Honey, you look _gorgeous_," she said with a big smile, her bright blue eyes sparkling as she looked the ice controller up and down. 

For someone who’d never been at anything more packed than a school disco this was a whole new level for Cathy. She’d followed the others with a mute wonder as she’d tried to take in everything in at once, she was expecting almost anything tonight but not it seemed for a complete stranger to actually talk to her.

Trying to work up the courage to form actual real words of reply she took one of the drinks that Raina had gracefully bought for them, trying to work up a little dutch courage. She’d spent enough nights down the pub to be able to hold her alcohol, in fact the stuff was a little to sweet for her tastes, but it calm her enough to form a few words.

“Erm... sorry... what? Oh yes this is my own skin colour, totally natural.”

"Niiiice," said the girl, looking pleased with the sight of Cathy as she looked her up and down, casually planting two hands on her arms. The red-head didn't seem to mind any chilly temperatures from Cathy - in fact, she was one of the few people who had touched Cathy without seeming to radiate heat. Suddenly, the pretty blonde that had caught Raina's attention was on her feet and heading straight for the girl flirting with Cathy, her eyes flashing with suppressed emotion. 

"Maddie, Maddie, c'mon," she said, putting a hand on her equally lace-and-leather-clad friend and pulling her away. "They're gonna play your song soon, you should get out there on the floor!" 

The redhead shot a look at Cathy at the blonde's words, her eyes wide, and suddenly started going into the opposite direction. 

-

"Hey there, hot stuff," said a confident figure who had joined Raina at the bar. Tall and muscular, he was built like a quarterback, with slicked black hair that descended in a curl onto his forehead. "I'm Ted." He had a definite accent, Raina guessed probably German. "I like a girl who can look me in the eye. You come here often?" 

"Uh, sure," Robin said, her arms still folded over her chest and her drink untouched. She'd been watching over the small group of girls from Claremont from her position on the end, one hip leaning against the bar. Robin felt a certain amount of responsibility as it was her rough neighborhood they'd come to. Of course, the run down buildings and empty warehouses made for a good staging ground for parties. Still, she didn't want to be rude even as she gave the men all dressed similarly a slightly dubious look. "How 'bout Derulo's Don't Wanna Go Home?"

It was catchy although Robin liked some of the other songs better. Still, she might not be the MOST savvy, but was aware enough that suggesting something like 'Talk Dirty to Me' could be taken as encouragement that she wasn't trying to give.

• 2 weeks later...

"Ted, huh?" Raina sipped her drink and gave her new companion a frank examination, then a lazy smile. "I'm Trina. It's my first time here, but so far it's not too bad." Sneaking into frat parties with older girls last year had taught Raina the value of using fake names with the guys one flirted with, but also of using one close enough that if you got caught at it, you could blame them for mishearing you in the first place. "You look like you can dance. Wanna warm this place up a little bit?" The other girls looked like they were doing fine, she could probably leave them on their own for a few minutes. 

With an almost comically look of confusion on her face Cathy was momentarily torn as to what to do, stay with her friends or take a chance with this girl. Not that she’d normally do anything quite so bold, but currently she was bolstered by the happy buzz of the sugary alcohol she’d just consumed. A quick glance at her two friends to see that they’d both seemed to have found company of their own, and she knew both could look after themselves very well.

Her mind made up she made to follow the two girls onto the dance floor to dance alongside, definitely not with, them.

"Sure thing, cutie," said DJ E as he and his crew took to the booth, earning a quick round of applause and whistles from clubgoers who must have recognized a familiar face. As the beat dropped and the laser lights overhead began flashing, the crowd moved out onto the dance floor. 

Out on the dance floor, the ladies made themselves at home just as the music got started. Ted proved to be a low-key dancer, not trying to draw attention with lots of flashy moves, instead clapping his hands and keeping up with a two-step as he and Raina circled each other out on the floor. He was looking right at Raina as they danced and seemed to like what he saw, smiling with a look of great pleasure as he looked her up and down. They couldn't really talk over the sound of the thumping bass, or see more than flashes beneath the glowing green lights, but who really cared? He started moving closer, circling Raina like a sexy shark, until he'd taken up position just behind her, obviously waiting for a cue to do more. 

Across the way, Cathy was definitely being scrutinized by the blonde and redhead both, the latter looking at her wistfully, the former with some alarm as she kept rubbing the necklace she wore over her half-exposed bustline. The two girls didn't seem to be a couple; if anything the blonde seemed more interested in the men she was encouraging to grind on her on the floor, but they seemed to be looking out for each other - and both of them were still concerned about her. 

Robin had a natural, athletic grace although she mostly bobbed and weaved in the semi-distracted manner of someone more interested in trying to keep an eye on everyone than getting her groove on. She watched Raina's potential date circle the other girl with a small frown. As long as Raina enjoyed the attention, Robin was content to bounce to the music and enjoy herself but she continued to keep an eye on the boy's behavior and remained close at hand. Just in case. 

Clearly, Robin needed more activities that didn't involve punching people in the face as it was harder to turn that instinct off than she'd thought it would be. 

• 3 weeks later...

Cathy might be an outside but she’d been around enough teenager at home to read most of the signs pretty well, but a school full of Shetland teenagers was very different to an American night club. Working out what was going on was easy, working out what to do was much harder. She looked around for her friends, but they both seemed to have found fun of there own.

Feeling a little embarrassed and self conscious all she could do was dance a little whilst giving Maddie a slightly embarrassed little smile.

• 2 weeks later...

Ted moved closer and closer as they danced, until almost imperceptibly he was close enough, pressed against Raina's back, that she could feel the heat from his body and his breath on her neck as he whispered, "Hey, this place is getting kinda crowded. You wanna go somewhere more private?" he asked, waving his hand up at the upper tiers of the warehouse. Raina caught him shooting a frowning glance Robin's way.

The music was getting louder now, strobe lights flashing, and Cathy could just make out glimpses of her would-be paramour and the latter's guardian (who kept being distracted by the men she was dealing with). When Maddie finally slipped towards Cathy again, her guardian the blonde caught sight of it and ran over, oddly graceful on her too-tall platform shoes. They were shouting at each other now, static figures amid the thumping music and the pounding beat - only Cathy was close enough to see the blonde's eyes glow red (while Maddie stared straight ahead) and hear the finish of her growl - "-hitting on the superheroes!" 

Raina laughed, not breaking her rhythm for a moment. "Hell no," she told him with a grin that didn't bother with the least hint of apology. "I came here for the crowds, and I've known you for like twenty-five seconds. Besides, I gotta keep an eye on my friends so they don't do anything massively stupid without me." She twirled in his arms, then looped her own arms over his shoulders. "So we can keep on dancing, cause I'm enjoying that, "or you can leave in a huff and I'll dance with a dozen other guys. Whichever!" She cut her gaze to one side for a moment, keeping track of her cohorts as best she could. There was no yelling or crashing yet, probably a good sign.