Cold Shoulder

Tiffany Korta

"No, no, a club would be great!" Raina insisted, warming to the idea. "You're not getting intimate with anybody, you don't even know anybody, so the stakes couldn't be lower, right? Plus it's like 95 degrees inside most clubs because they pack 'em in like sardines." Raina had read about this, and heard verification from unimpeachable sources. "So even if you go in and something stresses you out, all you're doing is dropping the air to something comfortable for dancing anyway, yeah?" She grinned and spread her hands, the fireball following her left hand like an orbiting moon. "Hell, maybe a place like that would hire you on. You're pretty enough, got that weird hair thing going, you'd just hang out and dance all night and keep the place cool, it'd be awesome. Then you could get your friends in for free." 

Cathy blushed quite visibly at Raina suggestion of her own beauty, surrounded by woman with almost supermodel looks while nice did nothing for her self confidence.

“i don’t think I look that pretty, but thanks anyhow for the compliment.”

Cathy did however give the idea some serious thought for a few moments thoughts before answering to Raina’s idea.

“I’m not sure I’ve got the bottle to go to a club yet, definitely not alone. I mean it took several days and a mini Ice Age just to tell a single friend. With that many people I might literally explode with fear.”

"Pfft, you wouldn't be alone. Robin and I would go too. We're gonna get some fake id put together, then figure out some outfits. Merlin's doing some kind of really obscure stock manipulation with the profits he made from designing this one website for some guys in Stockholm, and he's promised I'll get 30% of the take when he's done. Which really should be more considering he's my familiar and I saved his life! she added pointedly. Merlin just waved a hand in absentminded dismissal. "Anyway, we'll hit up the mall and get something to wear, it'll be great. You can't be afraid when you look awesome." 

“I don’t see anything wrong with what I’m wearing now?” there was a hint of self mockery in her voice.

“And there lots of reasons that this is a really bad idea. There’s a nighttime curfew in effect and we can’t leave the school during lesson time, and I’m not sure I want to meet anyone much older than myself. I’m not even sure I’d be able to say anything above a squeak.” she counted off the reasons on her finger but paused briefly before adding “I mean in theory it would be fun and exciting to go see the nightlife of Freedom City...”

Raina rolled her eyes, but she looked more amused than annoyed. "Come on, Cathy. What are they gonna do if you get caught, give you detention? I've been in four days already, it's not that bad. Mostly boring, after you get the long lecture over with. Be even easier for you, you just give 'em the big eyes and the "my evil roommate pressured me into it, I didn't know how to say no!" spiel and you'll get off easy. And you don't have to talk in a club, the music's too loud for anybody to hear you. And your outfit is fine, if you're going to some kind of knitting hoedown potluck, but you are doing your body absolutely no favors. You need something sexy, or at the very least fitted. Are you really going to spend the school year in Freedom City and go home with no stories to tell?" 

Cathy considered this, slightly dubious, chain of logic. She didn't want to get into any kind of trouble but it would be interesting and exciting to experience Freedom City's nightlife. And she was ahead of most of her school work.

"Okay sure lets do this."

After all what was the worst that could happen?