angrydurf

"Wait, that was it?" Raina asked in surprise, looking up from where she was trying to get a better look at the symbols on the leader's robe. "So it was good that I didn't just charge in and fight them, just because they looked scary?" She seemed gobsmacked for a minute, then actually smilled a little bit. "Cool." Tossing her fireball playfully from hand to hand, she straightened up and headed back to the sidelines, seeming rather more comfortable with the whole training exercise than she had been a few minutes ago. She found a spot next to Anibal and leaned close to murmur to him. "They got a ton of the details wrong on that, but it was just an exercise. I've seen it done so that everybody's eyes glow at the end, it's creepy-cool." 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Nice one, Sanderson!" whispered Riley in Raina's direction, giving her a quick thumbs up. He was legitimately impressed - and it showed on his narrow face. The teen archer was feeling glad he hadn't gone first - he'd have walked right in and probably gotten those evidently innocent people killed. Those guys looked like bad news! Shows what I know about magic. I guess I'll think twice before I assume somebody's a bad guy here. 

He squeezed Robin's hand quickly when it was her turn. "Knock 'em dead. Or not," he added with a cock of his head Raina's way. He'd been nervous about this training, intimately familiar with the kind of training used by the Woodsmen, but evidently these were tests of intelligence and tactical cunning more than pure combat prowess. Like with the guy with the cataracts. 

"Thanks," She squeezed Riley's fingers back gently, also startled by the outcome and a little less certain of what, exactly, they were going to be doing down here. Robin, too, had gone quiet - watching the display with curious eyes. "Hunh, that wasn't what I was expecting. All of my stuff has always been about dealing with a fight. But my skills are probably a whole lot narrower. Good job." She offered to Raina as she straightened from her casual slouch to offer a high five on her way past Dauntless. Stretching, Robin laced her hands together and extended them above her head until her back cracked. She let them fall to the side then, her posture falling into an easy, loose limbed stance. 

"Okay, ready?" Robin asked as she lifted her hands up slightly in front of her. "Sorry, I mean, I'm ready."

Dauntless frowned slightly at the admission of having seen more direct evidence of such dealings but supposed magicians needed more experience in the esoteric and made a note to check over her file at a later date.  "Yes that is the scenario as set forth by Mr. Archer."  he acknowledged with an easy smile, "I'll pass along your concerns perhaps have Ms. Vervain consult on your next test."  he offered sounding quite pleased with the idea.

He tapped out a few notes on the tablet and nodded to Robin easily, "Excellent Ms. Chevalier."  he praised and glanced to the others to ensure they were in the safe zone behind him before initiating the next phase of hte simulation, "You may begin."  he announced in a booming tone as the simulation booted up and took hold.

Robin found herself in the familiar environs of the Fens, and not the nicer parts of the downtrodden neighborhood either.  The simulation was obviously taken off of actual mapping and possibly satellite modeling of the area as the accuracy was phenomenal.  In moments Robin recognized the corner she stood upon opposite a pawn shop she often staked out looking for strong arm artists and thieves trying to unload some hot goods fast.  The owner, Arturo, wasn't too proud to fence a few lightly used pieces of jewelry to keep the doors open but was also known to hold Items in hock at way below going interest so the working stiffs of the neighborhood could make rent till the nest paycheck came in.  Such was the balance of shady dealings in the fens where little was black and white.

As the simulation solidified around her raised voices could be heard from within, aggressive negotiations some might have called it, prelude to bloodshed might be closer to the truth, most of the gangs left Arturo alone he provided a valuable service after all.  But when a tweaker needed his meth a lot of bad ideas started sounding good.  Moments later there was a crash from within the store of something getting smashed followed by the ancient audible alarm in the pawnshop setting its bell ringing loud and strident over the gathering dusk.

Robin's inhalation was startled at the depth of the environments. She'd seen the hard-light technology used for more basic simulations before but this was uncanny. Shaking off the surprise, she refocused to get her head in the game. It seemed simple enough, really. It wasn't unlike a normal weekend in the Fens for her but unease tightened her stomach. Hey, maybe it was going to be a simple warm up. That could happen. Right?

As Robin charged through the door, she was entirely willing to take advantage of her surprise. Arturo's image, too, was uncanny as he cowered behind the plexiglass and bars that kept him 'safe' from the clientele, but Robin didn't spare the bystander much attention as she came up from her crouch. Twisting, one foot lashed out to crumple the back of his knee before she used his momentum to bounce his skull off the ground. It was done with a brutal efficiency but no more force needed than to make sure the man stayed down for the count. 

"Hey, chuckles. Who wants the next dance?" The growl was only semi recognizable as Robin's and held more menace than showmanship. It was a carefully leashed anger that drove the Fens vigilante and the simulation was accurate enough to push those buttons. 

To the outside observers the walls of the pawn shop cut away right as Robin entered though they remained solid and visible from her perspective.  Coach Capote smiled and made a small approving noise at Robins effective and controlled take down and made a few notes to that effect on his tablet as the scenario continued to unfold before the watcher's eyes.

Inside the shop the thug nearest the door was down and out likely to be sleeping off a major headache in lockup tonight, the reek of cheap whiskey and worse coming off him was as uncanny as the rest of the simulation.  The biggest tough guy in this shake down crew had pulled a gun and aimed it at the cash counter but swung it around to bring it to bear on Robin as he took a fast several steps back from her.  On his left the skinny bag man twitched and winced at his cohorts brutal take down and shook his head, "Aww man no man this is too real."  he whined and bolted for the door a small satchel clutched to his chest. 

With one of his crew down and the other running for it the de facto leader grimaced and held the gun trained on Robin, "On the ground, now!"  he commanded followed by some less than kind and given circumstances highly unwise commentary about her parentage and romantic habits.

There were few curses that Robin hadn't heard by now thanks to her 'unique' eduction. She sidestepped into the path of the fleeing thug, putting his body between her and the gunman. Sure, that might get him shot but he'd made the choice to turn to a life of petty crime. That was sort of the risk inherent. Oddly, Robin fought like someone who didn't have any powers although she clearly had control over her strength and Raina, certainly, had seen her take Winifred's punches to the face. Still, it wasn't unsound strategy as she stepped in to catch the thief that was trying to flee and use his body to block. 

She closed her fists into the fabric of his jacket and then pivoted and turned. There was the supernatural strength as even leverage couldn't account for the way the girl threw someone inches taller and pounds heavier at his armed compatriot, end over end. Really, though, Robin fighting looked more or less exactly like an altercation on tv except there were no special effects to blame the defiance of physics on. 

The tweaker robin threw with such ease collided with the gunman and a shot rang out as they collided and collapsed in a heap on the floor.  In the distance sirens could be heard though it would be minutes before the first police arrived the nearest patrol was probably near the theater district this time of night ensuring no one unsavory made the trek to interrupt the tourists enjoyment of the artsy upscale district.  Robin knew she hadn't been hit and no blood was immediately apparent.  The bag mans satchel had however been torn open, apparently by the bullet spilling the meager collection of cheap watches and costume jewelry out on the ground, most of it not even worth melt weight.  One item stood out, the faint glint in the neon lights of a very modest diamond on a simple gold band with stamped engraving along the inside curve, the form intimately familiar however to the young Fens native despite the inexpensive far from custom design of the wedding band.  Arturo was peeking out over the counter now trying to survey the damage to his shop, "They brought that all in, no one gonna notice if something goes missing yea?"  he suggested as he caught her staring at the piece. 

Dauntless once more made a note of Robins technique and control seeming to find the exercise a more satisfying one to annotate and evaluate than the last.  The others near him could clearly see the approval of her technique in his features and would catch the move to suspend the test before pausing as an alert popped up on the screen and he shrugged going back to observing the situation perhaps the test was to see if she'd abscond with the thieves ill gotten gains for herself, a rather rude assumption perhaps and one he was confident she would avoid despite the shady pawnbrokers suggestion.

Robin's world narrowed down to the ring sitting in the midst of the stolen haul. She stood, frozen and rigid before marching stiffly towards the satchel. Her fingers shook visibly as she reached to pluck the ring from the rest of the 'treasure' and turn the inscription towards the dim light to better read it. She paused and then reached under the top of her uniform top to fish out the chain she wore without fail and the two slim gold bands that dangled from it. Taking the smaller band, Robin very carefully held it up to the ring to check the sizes matched. 

When they did, Robin's hand clenched around the rings tight enough for the diamond to dig into her palm.

"Turn. It. OFF." For once, Robin's defenses were stripped bare and all that was left in her voice was raw, naked anguish.

"Hey, come on, shut it down!" Raina demanded of Dauntless, stepping out of the observation area and back into the simulator itself. "Take a time out, whatever the hell you wanna call it. Collate your notes." She stopped just a little ways out of Robin's arm's reach, studying the other girl's face with cautious sympathy. "You okay?" she asked carefully. "You did pretty good there with all those guys, you need a breather? We could blow this thing, go out and find some fun that's actually fun." She glanced over at the guys, especially at Riley, a look that obviously expected something. 

"Yeah, what the hell, man?" demanded Riley of his instructor, letting his anger find a solution to the crisis. "I thought this was supposed to be testing our powers and crap, not getting everybody all upset! What is this, Mindscrew 101?" Riley would never have talked to a Woodsman instructor like that, of course, but the teachers here demanded a far less strict standard of discipline - and seeing somebody's brain get screwed with had never been his favorite part of training. 

He stalked into the training area and put his hand on Robin's back. "You okay, baby? What was that?" He'd occasionally felt the hanging shape of her necklace in intimate moments, but he'd never before put two and two together about what they were.

Edited by Avenger Assembled

Just as suddenly as it started, the simulation had stopped. The ritual was incomplete. Or was it? Raina had successfully completed her own exercise, it seemed. When she sidled up to him, Aníbal gave her an encouraging smile.

"Good work, I think", he complimented, and leaned in to listen as she described the problems with the scenario and hinted at greater mysteries.

"I wouldn't know", he whispered, "Perhaps some day you can show me the real deal."

Robin was next. The room changed again, this time a simulation of one of Freedom City's more run-down neighborhoods. Aníbal didn't know which one it was. This seemed like more normal fare - a crime was being committed, and Robin was here to save the day. He had no idea about the girl's abilities, but she certainly seemed tougher than most girls her age. Observing the scene, Aníbal kept quiet so as not to distract anyone. There'd be plenty of time to chat afterwards. The simulation went on in predictable fashion. There was a scuffle in the pawnshop, and the goons did not get the upper hand. So far, nothing out of the ordinary. However, when Robin cried out in anguish, demanding the simulation be paused, Aníbal raised an eyebrow in surprise. This was an awkward moment. He looked on, puzzled, as first Raina and then Riley went inside the exercise area to check in on the hero of the Fens. What could have upset her so? Aníbal turned to the instructor. 

"Perhaps a pause, sir?", he remarked and made his way down towards the others. With a glance, he noticed Riley was quite affectionately comforting Robin. So, those two are an item... He made a mental note of it, another strand in the web of relationships within the school to remember, and walked up to Raina's side.

Edited by TheRedGuy

Coach Capote was hurriedly tapping to end the simulations and scant moments after Robins outcry the simulation winked out of existence only a vague hum and scent of ozone in the air to suggest anything had ever been there.  Where Robin stood staring at the ring the small metal band faded in her grasp the phantom jewelry was no more.  The metal man running hte simulation was frowning deeply at the pad as he stabbed out another note though what reason he had to be upset was a mystery.  

Dauntless closed out whatever document he had opened with a terse sigh and looked up at the upset teens.  He had no commentary on the students harsh words but nodded evenly at Robin, "Well done Ms. Chevalier."  he said carefully and looked to Riley and Anibal in turn, "Well then, who'd like to go next?"  he asked hopefully clearly trying to give the upset fens native an out from explaining her reactions if she didn't wish too.

The exercise was halted soon enough at the students' request, and the instructor made his way to the group. Everyone could tell his praise rang a bit hollow. This did not go as planned. Then, the instructor asked who would be the next one to take the test.

"I'll go next", Aníbal immediately offered, shooting a glance at Riley and Robin. Robin still looked upset, despite the instructor's words of encouragement, and Riley seemed like the only one who could help her get through this rough patch. He wondered for a moment what his task would be. Obviously the simulations were tailored not only to their powers but to their personalities. Something in the exercise struck Robin's weak spot, not physically but mentally. He wondered how much the school knew about him. He had lived a fairly charmed life, free from trauma and unpleasantness. Where would they hit him? What did they think was his heroic flaw? Steeling himself, he took a deep breath in preparation for whatever they were planning to throw at him. Focus, Aníbal, we can do this...

Touching Robin's shoulders wasn't unlike touching a statue made flesh, her muscles were locked and too rigid to the touch. In vain, her hand tightened around the vanishing ring as the hard light simulation turned into the nothing that it was. Still, she had to look down at her palm nonetheless, opening her hand slowly even though she knew it had faded like the cruel trick it was. "My mom's ring," she answered Riley's question, the words remote and wooden. "The diamond wasn't worth that much but enough to steal, I guess. I've looked and looked--"

Her voice cracked and her shoulders heaved with a sudden intake of a shaky breath as Robin wrestled her emotions back down into the little box she preferred to keep them in. She gave a short, sharp shake of her head to Raina then. She touched Raina's elbow, the gesture quick and hesitant but appreciative. "I'm okay. Sorry. I didn't expect it. It was just a dirty trick."

She accompanied that with a, perhaps undeserved, dirty look at Dauntless. Robin turned to head back to the observer area with Riley and Raina, still a little raw and also uncertain how to feel about people jumping to her side. That was... that was worth pondering. In a very soft voice that didn't carry very far and sounded far more hesitant than usual, Robin added quietly, "Thank you." 

"It's okay," Raina replied in an equally low voice. "You know they're all assholes, looking for any kind of weakness to get their hooks in us. Just don't ever let them see you cry." She glanced over to Dauntless, then back to Robin. "Tell you what, soon as I get my hands on some decent books again, I'll look up a finding spell and figure out how to power it. If it was your mom's and it was important, you should have it. It belongs to you." Raina's voice was maybe just a little too fierce on that last sentiment. "You all right? We can have Riley put an arrow into the simulator and shut it down for a few hours if you want," she offered with great magnanimity. 

Riley nodded silently at that, not foolish enough to agree to actual property destruction where people might be watching. He might not get lashes here, but there still might be...consequences. "They did...oh, man." He hugged Robin, not caring that people were watching, or for the muscles so tense she could have cracked his back with them. He knew what it meant to have only relics of the people you'd lost - and to be without your family. "I'm so sorry, baby, that's a crappy little mindscrew. You need any help with that spell, Raina, you let me know," he said with a fierce look his friend's way way. "You're not alone in this. We're right here for you."  

Coach Capote nodded to Anibal as the student volunteered to go next.  He paused for a moment to look Robin over but it seemed her fellow students would be better comfort than himself as the most direct cause of her anguish.  He took a long look at the outline of Anibals simulation and nodded to himself as he motioned the boy forward to prepare himself.  He punched a few buttons on the tablet and moments later the simulator was a bustling street in midtown.  The colors were a bit washed out but people bustled along the sidewalks with narrow minded purpose willing to jostle their way past anyone not moving with the flow of foot traffic.  

Anibal could be carried along or fight traffic to continue the direction he faced it was initially unclear which was the correct course.  Then a voice carried out over the simulation, Mr. Archers for those familiar with the bombastic speedster turned sadistic gym teacher, "Vigilance."  the disembodied teacher intoned, "Is the key."  there was a long pause allowing the student being tested to examine his surroundings more thoroughly before the voice spoke once more, "Not all enemies are obvious until it is too late."  As the teacher spoke once more an attractive woman would stand out in the crowd flowing towards Anibal, the bright red of her dress contrasted against the drab grey-scale of the crowd in general as she passed sparing a warm smile and lingering eye contact for the hero.

The tension didn't let up as the room flickered again, creating a new simulation out of thin air. Aníbal found himself in an unfamiliar part of a bustling city. Perhaps this was some place in Freedom City he had not yet seen, or just a nondescript, typical American city street. The surroundings seemed nicer and safer than Robin's simulation, although given the content of the previous exercises there was bound to be more to this than a simple stroll through the city center. He noticed the crowd rushing in, a giant serpent of humanity that almost blended into the city streets. The simulation didn't show them with lifelike detail, probably to conserve computing power. Even this marvelous technology probably had its limits. Aníbal met the crowd head on, snaking his way between the pedestrians and making his way forward. He bumped into one of them and offered an apology out of reflex, then smirked at the absurdity of apologising to a hologram. Crowds didn't bother him, usually - in fact, he enjoyed the bustle of the big cities as much as the leisurely solitude of a ranch, and liked to get lost in the crowd, taking in the sights and sounds of big city life. This crowd, however, made him feel uneasy. It wasn't just the fact he was being tested. The washed out, almost gray colors made the people look uncanny, like zombies. Matters weren't helped by a voice booming from the heavens, ominously warning him to pay attention. Vigilance was easier said than done. Aníbal took a look around but noticed nothing out of the ordinary. "The enemy could be anyone" was singularly unhelpful advice, even if true.

Then, he spotted the girl. She stood out from the crowd. She would stand out even if the rest of the people weren't washed out zombies. Their eyes met and he returned her smile. Aníbal preferred boys, it was true, but he was attracted to women as well, albeit in a slightly different fashion. He enjoyed the company of women, but he appreciated feminine beauty the way one might appreciate a work of art. It was less visceral, less raw, with a certain amount of distance, although of course he had no trouble with the physical side of things. A girl could still turn his head on occasion, and this one did. She was certainly beautiful in a subdued, elegant way, and her dress flattered her shape, bringing out her curves. Italian silk, Aníbal thought, probably a Missoni judging by the cut. Perhaps a little too flashy for late September, but it looked good on her. He was about to check out her shoes when he suddenly remembered he was taking an exam. What did that voice say? Something about vigilance? 

The girl peeked over her shoulder as she passed eyes flickering for a fraction of a second with an inner fire.  Before Anibal could process the possible danger however he felt a heavy hand on his shoulder and a pinch of something sharp at his neck.  the others could see one of the crowd grasp the fellow student and press what appeared to be some kind of injector device to his neck.  Moments later the simulation froze then faded as Coach Capote nodded taking his final notes, "Ah a good attempt that simulation has been the downfall of many a student do not worry."  he expressed with earnest effort to comfort the student despite the less than stellar performance, "As I was often told when I was a Student here, if you already knew all of these things you would not need the lessons yes?"  he suggested pleased that despite Anibals performance this simulation at least had been less fraught with unpleasantness than the last.  Perhaps the issues of Robins test had been merely happenstance an unhappy coincidence in pulling real crime reports to base simulations off of.

Motioning Anibal to return to the others he turned on Riley, "Very well, Mr. Quinn?"  he asked with a nod for the chamber floor, "If you are prepared?"  

Riley tensed as the needle seemed to go into Anibal's neck - but then relaxed as he reminded himself it was all just a computer-generated dream. "Yeah, okay," he called to Dauntless, squeezing Robin again before he walked out onto the practice floor, murmuring "Nice try," with a wry shrug to Anibal. Taking up a position in the middle of the simulator, he took a moment to draw and ready his weapons, automatically falling back on the combat training he knew so well. His friends saw him unsnap the leather clasps that held his hatchet in place at his hip - and pull out his crossbow, holding the loaded weapon balanced and ready in his arms. He turned his head to shoot a quick wink Robin's way, then set his teeth, ready for the instructor's tricks. "Let's do this!" 

Robin had been very, very quiet although she hadn't jerked away from the comforting arm that Riley offered. Her expression remained almost mutinous as she watched the unfolding scenario. By the time Aníbal had returned from his own version of a test, Robin had shaken off enough of her black mood to offer a look of commiseration, "These tests are the worst," she offered to the boy and gave Riley's hand a gentle pat. 

"Knock 'em dead, Riley. You got this," Robin offered, settling into a loose stance with her arms crossed.

"The tests are totally lame," Raina agreed, giving Anibal a reassuring pat on the arm. "If this had been a real world situation, she never would've been able to tag you like that. But hey, at least now we just have to watch Riley and then we do the group exercise, and then we're done. Hey, after we're done here, you want to go get some dinner?" she asked him with a quick, flirtatious grin. "I hear they're grilling burgers tonight, they'll probably be a lot better early than after they've been under the warmer for hours." She kept one eye on Riley to track his progress, but most of her attention was on more important matters. 

As Riley readied himself Coach Capote tapped away on his tablet checking the first portion at least of the simulation and seemed momentarily surprised but shrugged and moved on looking up to Riley at the ready signal and with a glance back at the other students to ensure they were inside the safe zone behind him as the simulator once more buzzed to life.

Around Riley he found himself amid a sea of humanity.  The busy midtown street was almost indistinguishable from that of the previous exercise though no booming archer voice sounded off about 'Constant Vigilance!' and there appeared to be no woman in red to serve as distraction.  The colors too seemed more vibrant at first then washed out slightly as the scene darkened with storm clouds rolling in over the city and a light patter of warm rain began to fall.  There was little else to signal the change but a low rumble underfoot or in the distance before twisting vines and sturdy trunks erupted from the ground branching into towering trees as concrete cracked and buckled underfoot.

The crowd began to panic as the streets were torn up by the overgrowth and the nearby buildings groaned as their foundations were rocked by mighty roots.  A fine mist of lument pollen could be seen drifting from the canopy overhead and where the crowds began to breath it in they drew up to a halt hacking for a moment before their eyes were shot with green veins  and they began to stalk through the undergrowth as if hunting something.

Riley stared at the horrific scene - and for a moment, his friends saw his eyes flare wide with a mixture of burning rage and icy fear like nothing they'd seen on the twitchy archer's face before. And then he exhaled, and his face became a cool, calm blank, as if he was another person entirely, or rather as if he were a person far away from all of this. Working the lever on his crossbow back and forth, he fired a bolt on a line directly up into the air, striking the corner of a building left relatively untouched by the sudden eruption. Ignoring the chaos at his feet, he began working his way up the side of the small skyscraper by a combination of free-climbing and grapple-line, cooly bracing himself on awnings and windowsills as he went up the side of a ten-story building with the ease of a mountain goat climbing a hill.

By the time he reached the top of the tower, his muscles were obviously tense, bunching up beneath his poncho and shirt, but his face was still a mask. Moving with practiced ease, he walked over to the skyscraper's roof access door and wedged his hatchet inside the twin handles, providing an external lock and preventing anyone below from coming up. When that was done, he raised binoculars to his face and began scanning the scene, first the chaos at street-level, then the horizon, evidently looking for either an escape route, other survivors, or the source of the carnage. With his face so still, and without having said a word since the scenario began, it was hard to tell what was on his mind. 

Edited by Avenger Assembled