Alternate Powers

Heridfel

Here's a general question for the referees. How many alternate powers are too many?

Generally, when I'm making characters, I try to limit myself to one alternate power in any given array. I know that's less efficient, point-wise, but it fits most powers fairly well. Magic is probably the biggest exception (and Cosmic Energy Control, for those sorts of games). The reason I'm asking is because I'm seeing a lot of characters with multiple alternate powers, and it's less fun when my PL 6 character's main power is surpassed by someone who spent 1 pp to grab it as an alternate power. Should I be grabbing more alternate powers myself, or just do the best I can with what I have?

Here's a general question for the referees. How many alternate powers are too many?

Generally, when I'm making characters, I try to limit myself to one alternate power in any given array. I know that's less efficient, point-wise, but it fits most powers fairly well. Magic is probably the biggest exception (and Cosmic Energy Control, for those sorts of games). The reason I'm asking is because I'm seeing a lot of characters with multiple alternate powers, and it's less fun when my PL 6 character's main power is surpassed by someone who spent 1 pp to grab it as an alternate power. Should I be grabbing more alternate powers myself, or just do the best I can with what I have?

Don't feel bad about the way you want to build powers. Characters with one power can be a lot of fun if done right. Also, alternate powers don't have to be a complete different power. [like blast] You could have two PC's with blast and each have th alternate powers but they have gone completely different paths. like this....

1] Blast: optic force [AP]

2] Blast: optic force [AP]

As for the number of alternate powers, I think for now it is accessed case by case. If we feel that someone is flat out abusing the build we will not allow it. Also if you have many AP's on one power, even when dynamic, you only have one group of points to distibute amongst your various powers and can weaken the each power as a whole. AP's are a apart of the build process and can make wonderful characters. Bottom line if your build has no need for AP's then don't waste time with them

Don't feel bad about the way you want to build powers. Characters with one power can be a lot of fun if done right. Also, alternate powers don't have to be a complete different power. [like blast] You could have two PC's with blast and each have th alternate powers but they have gone completely different paths. like this....

As for the number of alternate powers, I think for now it is accessed case by case. If we feel that someone is flat out abusing the build we will not allow it. Also if you have many AP's on one power, even when dynamic, you only have one group of points to distibute amongst your various powers and can weaken the each power as a whole. AP's are a apart of the build process and can make wonderful characters. Bottom line if your build has no need for AP's then don't waste time with them