Moonshadow

alderwitch

"Nice." Riley left his hand on Robin's, liking the feel of her skin against his. His hands were relatively rough, callused with the aftereffects of much more manual labor than most boys his age had ever done. "Nice everything, Robin." Suddenly he put two and two together and remembered something about her name - the girl who'd been in the fight with the living statue at the museum? Not exactly getting a lot of gossip these days. More like the gossip is about me. Pushing aside that thought with a hard, toothed smile, he went on. "Listen, I'm pretty sure I could sit here on the roof and kiss you all night, but I bet Mr. Hawke's gonna be back soon and I don't wanna have to deal with more crap from the dog and pony show tonight. Can I see you tomorrow?" he asked her. "Sounds like we've got some of the same classes." 

Robin's hands had their own callouses, not so much on the fingertips and palms, but the knuckles under his hand were flatter and ridged with three years of hard earned scar tissue. Her hand twitched in his before she relaxed. The opportunity for escape was a welcome one - not because she hadn't enjoyed the experience. No, that was exactly the problem inherent. It was new. It was outside her comfort zone. Those were things best processed alone and without the confusion that hard-edged smiles under the moonlight caused her hormones. 

"Okay," Robin said, glancing down at the hand on hers and then nodded once, like she was committing to the agreement after it had already been given. She shook off her nerves physically, shrugging her shoulders in a way that rustled the worn smooth leather of her jacket. Robin found her smile. then. "Sure, tomorrow. We'll probably be in something together. There aren't all that many students for classes. There's always lunch too. Or whatever."

Robin went to rise to her feet then, catching her astronomy book before it could go sliding towards the grounds, "I swear, the teachers here have eyes everywhere. I am pretty sure most banks have less security..."

She stood there, rocking once on her worn sneakers as if she were not sure what exactly to do next. Do I kiss his cheek or...? After clear hesitation, Robin decided that discretion was today the better part of valor and turned, the movement almost abrupt, "Okay! Tomorrow!"

Very smooth.

Riley sat on the quiet rooftop for a while after Robin disappeared, alone with the ghosts of gigantic trees and the hungry whispers of the creatures that moved among them. They had never seemed more far away - but even now they moved around him in what passed for darkness in Freedom City. 

I've got a girlfriend! He smiled, then suddenly had a disquieting thought. Crap! I'd better figure out what to do here. He knew a little about romance but romance of his particular flavor was not represented in the people he'd seen before, or for that matter the old books he'd read or movies he'd watched. Suddenly he had another thought. Crap...what was her last name? He was still thinking about that as he began climbing his way down the side of the dorm building, as silent as a passing owl as he disappeared into the darkness.