Endeavor smiled. "Even if it wasn't my fault, it was negligent of me to not have adequate security. I replaced the tires at my own expense. Helped smooth things out rather easily." She looked over to Hannah once she made herself known as part of the crowd. She looked at the morphing bubble with some curiosity. "What makes up the membrane of that? I know that can't be soap, Hannah." She said, adjusting her glasses. "Nice control on it already."

"Do you know the properties of what it can do? Might be helpful in rescues if you can make a airtight bubble large enough to carry a few people. Particularly for use in space."

"That reminds me.. I should at some point as quick as I can start making some portable oxygen generators. Even if we're not space-bound you don't know when they'd be useful none the less..."

Sakurako stretched out, looking over to Huang and Raina, starting to use her suit's flight system to hover in place. Some greenish blue lights on the back-pack like section of her suit glowed. "Well, I can fly, and with my EM-Wand I'm able to lift objects using electromagnetism." She said, pulling out a cylendar-like wand from a holster on the waist-section of her mission vest. She presses a button to ready it, the tip-actuator of the EM-regulation emitter opens like a flower, a green crystal in the center pulses with a gentle rythym. "Among other things."

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The temperature was still cool but not as bad as it had been moments earlier whilst Cathy was surrounded by strangers she was doing her best not to notice just how many of them. She pulled up her hood as much as she couldn’t see the other as they couldn’t see them. That way she wouldn't freeze them all out of pure nerves.

“Where are my manners I’m Cathy Clouston I’m from Orkney’s that’s a bunch of islands off of the coast of Scotland.”

As she spoke she drew out a passable map showing where the islands were forming it in the air forming it in the air out of ice crystals.

Well Raina certainly was blunt but it hadn't seemed to put anyone off.  Huang supposed most parents were less 'keep it secret keep it safe' than his about their kids abilities so no one seemed to be reluctant to show off.  He was starting to like this place already.  With a nod he considered Robins words, no powers, tough kid from the wrong side of hte tracks, definitely the Ravens latest protege and potential spy for the headmistress after all she had to have some way of always being in everyone's business and student spies just made sense.

He watched Hannas display with a slight widening of his eyes at the colorful bubble, "Flashy I like it."  he replied easily and tried to filter meaning out of the long line of science words the walking advertisement for tiger moming belted out.  "Right on, so I know who to go to for help cramming for physics."  he suggested with a friendly laugh.  So far the group seemed to have potential, Tough kid, Awkward weirdo, nerd, they were well over halfway to a breakfast club though dependant on ones hopes for high school it was hard to say if it was the good half.

"Orkney?"  he replied as Cathy displayed the northern isles, "Visited Stenness with my parents once."  he offered with a shrug though technically that visit was five years out on tis time line and was another of his moms 'working vacations' but the hidden cache of asgardian artifacts they'd retrieved to send back where they belonged had been fascinating.

"Well as you can see."  he suggested pointing to the suitcase, "Raina dabbles in the mysteries as do I."  he explained leaving out the whole half vampire thing for now as despite being a total dad about it Jack was right and that might not be the best opener for new friends.

As more newbies showed up, Casey got more and more excited; so many people to get to know and practice with in the Wreck Room! Also, the guy with the teeth was super cute, but she doubted Daddy would approve...which actually kind of made him even more attractive, darn it!

There were enough fresh faces that she felt another introduction was in order.

"Hi, I'm Casey from Colorado; my powers are kind of boring, just flying really fast and hitting stuff. Oh, wait a sec, I can do somthing else!"

She hunched forward slightly,  cleared her throat, and then produced a surprisingly loud (though nowhere near the actual volume) imitation of a fighter jet passing overhead!

"That was an F-16! I can make just about any sound; precise vocal control. So, anybody want to do the tour?"

Edited by Heritage

Raina began to speak again, but was interrupted by an annoyed chitter from the brown and white capuchin monkey on her shoulder, up until this moment partially hidden by her hair. She rolled her eyes. "Oh yeah, and this is Merlin, my familiar. He's obnoxious and will eat your snack foods." That got her another annoyed burst of monkey-speak, but she ignored it this time. "Looks like lots of flying people, that's cool. I've been wanting to work on my flying a little more. So I've never been to Freedom City before, except for the craphole bus station. What do you people do for fun around here?" 

"Tour would be great," Robin volunteered, having watched all of the various displays of powers with some trepidation. The worn leather of her jacket creaked as she flexed her hands inside the pockets and shifted her backpack once more on her shoulders, "Be nice to know where everything is before there's classes and stuff like that."

Robin added the last, assuming there was more than just classes but still not entirely sure what all that entailed. Her gaze flicked to Huang and the overly-sharp smile he flashed with some trepidation but no one had mentioned it and Robin didn't want to be rude. It was unsettling, though, pretty as he might be. Though she did finally give into her curiosity and ask, "What 'mysteries' are those?"

Hell, maybe he had super-detective powers. Robin was willing to overlook pointy teeth if he might be some sort of super sleuth. Though, she'd probably rather go with the girl with a monkey if she had to pick.

It took a lot to rattle Sakurako. The surprise monkey almost caused a "daww" reaction, if it wasn't for the fact the thing looked quite capable of doing things. "Raina, might be a good idea to keep your friend away from my snacks. I don't know how chocolate reacts to a primate's physiology." She said, scratching her head. "He's rather cute though, just saying I'd rather he'd not be harmed with a bad snack choice, I'd like to keep him around." She said, crossing her arms. "And my Pocky supply is right out, Mister." She said wagging her finger in a joking manner, yet the look in her eye suggested "You'd better listen".

"So... Flying eh? Well, I usually test my flight systems over the Atlantic when I'm letting the repulsor system loose a bit. If you're practicing though with your flight I recommend a parachute... I usually got mine just for that purpose." She said, smiling. "That and a life preserver if you fly over water for... softer landings. I know a few distributors that could hook you up. I wouldn't trust ebay with your life."

"Of course that's flying alone, Casey's more than a adequate spotter if I got issues. Then again my Near-Supersonic flight I only like using in emergencies where I gotta get somewhere on the eastern seaboard."

"Now as for fun... I think I'm the most boring here, I'm either at Silberman's or sitting in on a lecture at FCU or HIT. Having extension courses helps in getting my foot in the door." She said with a smile. "Then again what you call fun and what I call fun is subjective... Particularly when I love being in a lab making something."

Huang blinked slightly off-guard at the admittedly exacting impression of a fighter jet, "Uh Yea. that's a talent alright."  he said carefully neutral on the subject and glad to move on to the more promising topics of flight, "I prefer my flying with an enclosed cabin and little bag of peanuts but seems like a handy talent."  he agreed personably.  He smirked slightly at the assertive monkey, "Well up till now its mostly been the usual stuff."  he suggested which was a lie nothing about Huangs activities had been remotely normal since he came to this time but it was a much better explanation than 'pretend to be twenty four and try to hook up with any of my moms friends that'll be hot in ten years.'

He did make a full double take at Robins question however and glanced from the floating suitcase to Raina then back to Robin, "The mysteries of the arcane."  he explained with some further detail.  "Though somewhat different philosophies on the subject."  he elaborated with a grin and shrug.  

He listened with a nod to Sakuros flight talk and shrugged, "Dunno not really my bag."  he offered easily, "Me and my family usually just takes a shortcut if we need to go far that fast."  and by shortcut he of course meant cutting through the transitive dimensions to teleport from place to place.  He silently committed to himself to bone up on the aeronautics as between the plane noises and detailed flight safety regime it seemed to be more of a thing than 80's teen flicks had taught him it would be.

Robin had been about to comment when a faint shadow caught her attention. She knew that shadow and from the pointed gaze that the new Headmistress was fixing her direction, Robin was tardy in announcing her presence. 

"Hey, I'll catch up with you guys later. Nice to meet you," Robin murmured, stepping back from the back of the group and turning to head for the school proper and the solitary figure standing in the doorstep. No doubt she was only adding fuel to Huang's theories that she was a spy for the latest Summers to rule the school. It wasn't actually the case as Robin was likely just in for another lecture about her stubborn, near suicidal vigilante tendencies while a student and perhaps, because the teachers really did care, efforts to find a way to make the stubborn, proud kid from the Fens get into some of the programs that would help her with things like books and supplies.

Regardless, with a small wave, Robin peeled off from the group to head over to the building and take the steps two at a time to catch up the headmistress before vanishing inside. 

Sakurako adjusted her glasses once opening the faceplate on her helmet. "Sort of forgot that feeling of dread being tardy..." Sakurako said. "Then again I dread meeting the gaze of the PE teacher... Grandpa was a little less... mean. Firm, yes, but he has his reasons." She said, brushing off her suit. "Well, anyone interested in helping get my project airworthy again? I might be able to put in a good word with the science and technology faculty here to maybe have it count towards credit for your classes. That, and I could use a spotter..." She said, blushing.

"Then, once I get the balloon back up... how about lunch, on me?" She said with a smile. "It's not tradition, just being nice... don't have to help for that, we can meet up back here in street clothes at..." She looks at the chronometer built into the sleeve of her suit. "...1330 hours? I know a wonderful deli we could grab a sandwich or two from."

"Riley, I don't understand why you won't let me-"

"It's fine!" The pair that suddenly passed into the group's vision was decidedly mismatched. The woman in question was a compact, fit-looking woman in her late forties whose stylish red blouse and skirt perfectly complimented her dark complexion and the short black hair that just reached down between her shoulder blades. In her low dress heels and tasteful gold necklace and pearl earrings, she looked like money. The speaker, however, looked nothing like money at all. "Tell Riley he can keep the rest of the clothes. I've got everything I need right here." Riley was short for a boy, with closely-cropped black hair like showed off the dark color of his scalp, looking more like a young soldier than a high school student.

Riley's clothing, however, was something else - a brown and green hooded jacket over a vertical-patterned red and white shirt, a thick, heavy, pocketed belt, heavy hiking boots that weren't exactly in fashion. It all looked heavily used, too, with obvious signs of care and mending on everything. The only items that looked new were the black duffel bag Riley carried in one hand - and the obviously custom-made crossbow slung on his back. With fine features and clothing that concealed his shape, and a voice that could have been a deep-voiced girl or high-pitched boy, he cut an ambigious figure. The crossbow, though, and the hatchet slung on one side of that belt, didn't look ambiguous at all. 

"Do you really need to wear that today?" the older woman asked, shooting a skeptical look at the hardware that did indeed look a little out of place for an incoming Claremont student. 

"Yeah." Riley replied shortly - and after a moment's awkwardness, the two shared a quick hug. "Thanks for driving me out, Peyton." 

"I love you, Riley. We're always here for you," she said in a voice that was reassuring, but still not quite maternal. With a smile and wave, she turned and walked off, her heels clicking on the sidewalk, leaving lean-bodied, tense-looking Riley standing by himself on the lawn. He looked around, body pulled tight as a drum, eyes alert as he scanned the crowd. 

Huang watched Robin go with a considering squint, yep definitely summers spy.  He turned back to the rest of the group as the suggestion of lunch was bandied about and nodded non-committally, "Yea that might,"  he slowly began but aborted when the well armed youth arrived.  Taking in the axe and crossbow Huang paused for a shadow of a moment before flashing a wide toothsome grin and offering a hand to the other boy, "Welcome."  he greeted eyes going to the bow once more, "Nice bow, very van helsing."  because this is how one dealt with potential threats in the Farretti household a polite veneer of plausible deniability layered over vampiric posturing for dominance.

The boy had all the hallmarks of one of those ancestral lines of hunters vampires told the newly embraced to keep them from too blatantly revealing their natures.  It would be just like Summers to invite such a scion the same year he began.  Because of course the world revolved around Jack Huang Farretti Jr.

Riley had no idea what a 'Van Helsing' was - but he wasn't gonna admit that to this funny-looking dude with weird teeth. What's up with his face? His grip was hard, his hands callused and worn more than any teenage boy Huang had ever met. From the look in his eye, he had the wariness of a trained fighter. "Sa Parker CenterFire, actually." Pulling the bow from off his back, he snapped open the bow, revealing a variety of augmentations that didn't look store-bought. "Or was, anyway. Three weeks with a workbench means it's mine. Made the bolts, too." He looked over Huang suspiciously. "What's your deal?"

"Sorry," Raina told Sakurako, "I'm not really an engineering type. I could put your thing up in the sky with magic, but that would probably defeat the purpose. And I gotta go get my room assignment-" She was interrupted by a poke in the side of the head from her fuzzy companion, who chattered something urgently into her ear. "What? Yeah, like you know jack about physical engineering? You can't just reprogram an airship... okay, fine. But I'm not fetching and carrying for you." She extended her arm towards Sakurako, letting Merlin climb down to her forearm. "Here, he wants to help. He may get it working better than it ever has, or it might blow up. But since it's already broken all to hell, what have you got to lose?" 

Cathy watched the newcomer with some interest, he had the air of someone who'd spent some time surviving in the wild. Living out the fringes of civilization, even if the did have hot water and electricity, you tended to learn who could survive and who was faking it.

She peered round Huang her violet eyes showing for under her hood, her confidence boosted a little by someone to hide behind.

"Whoa be care with that crossbow, you could end up doing someone an injury." was all she could think to say in her thick Scottish burr. Not the best of introduction to be sure, she hoped it was the end to her social faux pas.

"Safety." said Riley, pointing to a lever on the bow, "uncocked," he added, pointing to another. "Swhy it's pointed down, too. Had to show I knew bow safety before they let me carry it around. Like I'm twelve all of a sudden." In Cathy's presence, though, he lost some of the defensive edginess he'd gone into around Huang alone, and shot the girl a cocky grin. "Could do some real damage with it if I wanted to, though. Flashbang inna face'll stun most anything - and impervium bolts'll wake anybody up." He offered Cathy his hand, his grip firm in hers. "Riley Quinn. Your voice is real pretty - you Irish? French?" 

Huangs grip was firm though his hands clearly soft the hands of a teen who rarely had to do anything more strenuous than turn the pages of a book.  He nodded with feigned understanding about the traits of the admittedly impressive bow, "A most useful tool I'm sure."  he agreed his tone complementary.  Glancing to the others briefly he shrugged at the question, "New student like yourself." he explained, "Huang Farretti."  he introduced and went around the small circle of girls offering their names as well. "Scottish, mostly."  he offered as explanation of Cathys accent, "Though the brogue of hte islands is a bit distinct from what one usually hears in the states harder to place."  hoping the explanation might diffuse the potential for violence inherent in suggesting a scot was french or irish.

His posture remained alert and just a touch predatory as Huang continued to measure how great a threat the well armed boy might be.  "And you?"  he inquired with cautious interest, "an archery enthusiast clearly."  he acknowledged as he tried to tease out what might have brought what seemed to be an otherwise normal boy to Claremont.

Edited by angrydurf

Looking at Merlin, at first she was puzzled. "Well it's not busted all to heck... it's just got a hole in one of the primary lift airbags in the balloon, and I have to move a couple support arms is all." She said. "I've never worked with a Familiar before but if he won't mind some direction, I could use small hands for small, delicate work." She said, extending out her arm. "Thank you, Merlin."

Sakurako sighed, but understood everyone else's reluctance to work with Sakurako's untested gadgetry. "Well, lunch is still on the agenda though if people are interested." She said, twirling her EM wand before putting it on a loop on her mission vest. She taps her glasses, and starts working with an AR interface only she can see. The suit shifts from it's current form into a more official looking suit, something she tried out in Japan. Keeping the Claremont colors though, although seeing Sakurako wearing a skirt was something new. Although with the suit's design it still was all a one-piece bodysuit.

Then she noticed the newcomer.

Rough around the edges, seems to have spent some time out in the wilderness. Parents survivalists? Off the grid? No... the look of his kit is well taken care of, like he's needed to depend on it. Alone. That and the use of varying weapons suggests preparation for metahuman targets... Interesting. She thought.

She extended her hand to Riley. "Hi there. I'm Sakurako. Nice to see someone else who has experience outdoors. Nicely crafted Crossbows as well. Interesting choice for the bolts though." She said, respecting Riley's care of his weaponry. "Also if you're showing you know your trigger discipline, you're alright with me. You could teach me a thing or two... also I've not worked with a proper smithy yet."

OOC, my yellow highlight is a poor attempt for a comic book thought box.

Edited by The Osprey

"From North Bay," replied Riley with a hard smile for what he knew was a confusing answer. A far cry from this world's North Bay, with its big, expensive homes, carefully tended gardens, and wealthy families - something he knew only too well. He was a far cry from the Riley Quinn who'd grown up in this world's North Bay. He had never actually heard a person with a Scottish accent speak, but he did his best to cover his ignorance by changing the subject - or rather keeping it on the subject of himself. "Learned to hunt with it, mostly." He beamed at Sakurako's approach, rather enjoying all these girls paying so much attention to him. "Thanks. I heard there were good shop classes here - thought that'd be fun." He didn't bother mentioning that he doubted very much Sakurako's experience with the woods was anything like his own; that was nothing good to say to a pretty girl! He snapped open a magazine on the bow to show her his work. "Black powder, tear gas, impervium, binary head..." He snapped the magazine shut again. "This'll get anybody's attention."

Casey was clearly delighted my the monkey, an animal lover to the core. "Omigod, what a little cutie! Here, you can steal this!" She pulled a Kind bar out of her bag and held it out for him to snatch.

She was, however,  even more transfixed by the athletic newcomer with the crossbow; on the one hand, his clothing and gear suggested a rugged lifestyle and a love of the outdoors, but then again he looked like he could be in a boy band. So many new cute boys this year! All the boys in her own grade were either emotionally distant or taken. She kept sneaking peeks at both of them.

In response to the earlier question about fun, the blonde powerhouse shrugged and adjusted her glasses. "Well, like Saku said, we're kind of boring; sometimes I help her with her science stuff, and I keep active with Scouting and volunteer work. I like to build stuff, play sports and board games, and go camping." She laughed. "Yeah, we're pretty darn square, really."

"Finally, someone who is as prepared as I am!" She said with a relieved sigh to Riley. "If you got ideas maybe I could whip up a few... I have been working on a bouyant adhesive foam for apprehensions and sealing hull breaches... might be able to apply that to a round, although I don't know how the canister would weigh the bolt..."

She turned back to the others after Casey spoke, making sure Merlin was carefully balanced on a shoulder. "Don't forget Casey occasionally gets me out of trouble. Like the time I ended up in those trees early in the summer. That was... embarassing." She said with a blush. A very bad time for her flight system to glitch, and even worse ending up in a tall tree in the forest dangling by her parachute. "Helps to have a friend who can fly."

"To be honest though I'm always in the lab and she's always being herself, so we're... not the most interesting people. That is if you can catch us for the small bit of time we're 100% availiable." She said.

Sakurako started to realize she was as busy as her folks... and they aren't superheroes anymore.

Cathy furrowed her brow and thought about what Riley had just said. She didn't know Freedom City very well, though she’d been studying her Rough Guide to Freedom City on the journey here, but what he’d said didn’t make much sense to her. It was enough of a puzzle for her to forget the insult to her Scottish ancestry.

“I’m still new here but I wouldn’t think North Bay was the best of places to go hunting, especially with a piece of work like that,” she pointed to the impressive crossbow, “I’ve handled crossbow before but not quite like that.”

"Oh, me too."  Huang offered with a small laugh at the mention of the posh neighborhood his gaze rather more intense than it had been as he sized up Riley further, "Hunting you say?"  he murmured though with some effort glanced to the girls with a slight shrug, "Interesting is in the eye of the beholder don't sell yourselves short."  he suggested with a flirty smile.  

Nodding agreement with Cathy he glanced to Riley a bit of a curious tone, "Certainly seems like alot of weapon for hunting."  he suggested with a raised brow, "But you certainly look like you know how to handle it."  he added with a hint of teeth to his smile, "Maybe you can show us what you can do with it sometime."  the dhampir suggested casually including the group though his tone suggested perhaps a double meaning to his words.

Riley looked levelly up at Huang - this being an interaction he could understand better than he could the girls all flirting with him. What the hell is this asshole's problem? "Any time, any place,"  he said bluntly. He hesitated a moment, wondering how far to take it, before adding to the girls, "Look, I gotta go find my roommate and put my stuff down." He managed a smile and wink as he fastened his crossbow behind his back again. "I'll see you ladies later." And with that, he turned and headed for the nearby dorm, not even bothering to consult a map as he went. He'd made sure to memorize the terrain even before he got there.  

Merlin chittered a response to Casey that was clearly a polite thank you before accepting the granola bar. He unwrapped it with clever fingers, then shoved the entire thing into his mouth, chewing with great relish. Raina rolled her eyes at his manners and took the wrapper away before he could drop it on the ground. "I was more thinking of things that are actually fun to do," she explained. "Clubs, concerts, hell, even a movie theater would be better than nothing. I'm not really the sort of person who curls up with a nice technical manual in the evening," she admitted cheerfully. "Don't you guys ever get to actually leave school?"