In this month's Maxim: How to make yourself irresistable!

Griffalo

I'm thinking about making a villain that's able to manipulate emotions. Apart from taking Emotion Control, I was thinking about taking a power that drains their ability to resist. Since I've not got access to the books at work, a couple of questions:

1) Is Drain (Will Save) a valid application?

2) I imagine it as a "breath weapon" - i.e. at close range the character can breathe a cloud of chemicals in the target's face. Would it be reduced down to touch range?

I'm thinking about making a villain that's able to manipulate emotions. Apart from taking Emotion Control, I was thinking about taking a power that drains their ability to resist. Since I've not got access to the books at work, a couple of questions:

2) I imagine it as a "breath weapon" - i.e. at close range the character can breathe a cloud of chemicals in the target's face. Would it be reduced down to touch range?

Saves are not immutable - Disintigrate is proof enough of that. So you should be able to hit someone with a Will Drain. Just use the Alternate Save (Will) extra. It's a +0 extra, since you're just transferring one base 10 save for another. If it was a base 15 save, that would make it a +1.

You'll want to tack on Sense-Dependent if you want to do the cloud idea, too.

EDIT: Missed the second part. Yes, it would, but you can add on the Extended Reach Feat to up the range 5 feet per time you take it. So it would still be "touch range", but have the advantage of not actually putting you in touch range.

Saves are not immutable - Disintigrate is proof enough of that. So you should be able to hit someone with a Will Drain. Just use the Alternate Save (Will) extra. It's a +0 extra, since you're just transferring one base 10 save for another. If it was a base 15 save, that would make it a +1.

EDIT: Missed the second part. Yes, it would, but you can add on the Extended Reach Feat to up the range 5 feet per time you take it. So it would still be "touch range", but have the advantage of not actually putting you in touch range.

It makes sense for the Pheromones power, I suppose. The "love me" message is already built in so you'd be resisting that with your willpower. I just want the power to act like the "truth" drugs given to people under interrogation, aimed at breaking down their mental resistance. So I think I'll go with the Fortitude save for Drain, and then whammy them with whatever manipulation power I take (haven't quite decided yet), which will be a Will save.

It makes sense for the Pheromones power, I suppose. The "love me" message is already built in so you'd be resisting that with your willpower. I just want the power to act like the "truth" drugs given to people under interrogation, aimed at breaking down their mental resistance. So I think I'll go with the Fortitude save for Drain, and then whammy them with whatever manipulation power I take (haven't quite decided yet), which will be a Will save.

Here’s how I would do it:

"When you breathe on an adjacent opponent (touch range, standard action), the opponent must make an exceptionally difficult Fort save (after being drained) or fall in love with you." Note that with this build an opponent could dodge out of the way of your “love breath.†Also, opponents that are immune to an Olfactory power (e.g. Immunity 2 [suffocation]) can ignore the effect.

Emotion Control 10 [Extras]2.5 PPs linked to Drain 10 (Fort Save) [Flaws] – 5 PPs.

It's a bit unorthodox (to apply sense-dependent to a "touch" power), but it eliminates any question about how far away someone can smell your breath. :D If you don't like that, then replace Sense-Dependent (Olfactory, -1) with Limited: Doesn't work on people who can't (or won't) smell me (-1).

"When you breathe on an adjacent opponent (touch range, standard action), the opponent must make an exceptionally difficult Fort save (after being drained) or fall in love with you." Note that with this build an opponent could dodge out of the way of your “love breath.†Also, opponents that are immune to an Olfactory power (e.g. Immunity 2 [suffocation]) can ignore the effect.

Emotion Control 10 [Extras]2.5 PPs linked to Drain 10 (Fort Save) [Flaws] – 5 PPs.

It's a bit unorthodox (to apply sense-dependent to a "touch" power), but it eliminates any question about how far away someone can smell your breath. :D If you don't like that, then replace Sense-Dependent (Olfactory, -1) with Limited: Doesn't work on people who can't (or won't) smell me (-1).