Parkside Angels

The girl stops in surprise and barely manages to not fall over. She looks up with an indignant look but quickly flashes a smile.

"You...saw nothing." She reaches out and grabs onto the back of the bike and places her feet more steadily on the board.

"I haven't used this all that much so don't make any, like, sharp turns. What do you think Velocity will get up to? What do heroes do in the summer?"

"I haven't used this all that much so don't make any, like, sharp turns. What do you think Velocity will get up to? What do heroes do in the summer?"

Lynn makes sure to pedal her bike a steady pace, gradually increasing in speed but never actually going very fast as she follows the gentle curves of the bike path, heading towards the closest Sully's pushcart. For safety's sake, she remains facing forward as she answers Kizzy's question.

"I dunno; if I had super-speed, I'd probably travel a lot. Venice, Rome, London, Paris; I'd even visit Jerusalem, which would've made my grampa happy."

The sheer normality of this moment is almost intoxicating; Lynn closes her eyes for a few seconds, but in those seconds she is transported back to innocent high school summers that feel like decades ago. The sounds of the park rush into her head, and she has a perfect mental picture of where everyone is in relation to herself; she can practically see the wheels on Kizzy's board as they roll unsteadily over the pavement. And the summer smells of sweat, cut grass and a hint of sea salt on the breeze...

Her eyes snap open almost instantly, the brief reverie rudely cast aside before she gets them both killed.

"Okay, here we go." Lynn gently decelerates, the brakes squealing as they coast to halt beside a line of hungry patrons waiting for their 'Freedom dogs', all-beef Kosher franks topped with mustard, chopped onions and sauerkraut on a soft roll. The young biker smiles as she dismounts. "Whaddya want, I'm buyin'. And no arguments; just, ya know, no lobster or anything."

"Okay, here we go." Lynn gently decelerates, the brakes squealing as they coast to halt beside a line of hungry patrons waiting for their 'Freedom dogs', all-beef Kosher franks topped with mustard, chopped onions and sauerkraut on a soft roll. The young biker smiles as she dismounts. "Whaddya want, I'm buyin'. And no arguments; just, ya know, no lobster or anything."

Kiera laughs at this and lets go of the bike, guiding her board to the side before hopping off. She flips it into the air with a foot and catches it before it falls again.

"If this place has lobster, I wouldn't dare try it! Can I get a dog with ketchup and relish? I also see a nice spot over on the grass there to sit while we eat. I'm super glad I met up with you! Like, thanks for all the advice on places to eat, club work, dance, and other stuff. I haven't made any girlfriends my age since I came to this city. I suppose I talk too much...that and the kids over at Claremont are way too focused on studying! I mean chill out!

"If this place has lobster, I wouldn't dare try it! Can I get a dog with ketchup and relish? I also see a nice spot over on the grass there to sit while we eat. I'm super glad I met up with you! Like, thanks for all the advice on places to eat, club work, dance, and other stuff. I haven't made any girlfriends my age since I came to this city. I suppose I talk too much...that and the kids over at Claremont are way too focused on studying! I mean chill out!

Lynn frowns when Kizzy mentions her choice of hot dog toppings. "Boy, you really are from out of town; relish he should have, but ketchup he might not. If we're lucky, he might have a few pouches lying around for tourists."

However Kizzy is in luck, and the hated condiment is provided by the vendor with a somewhat disgusted but not unfriendly look. Soon the girls are sitting at the spot the darkwielder indicated, happily munching away; the young biker takes a sip of diet Coke and squints at her new friend.

"So you said you go to Claremont? I hear that's a good school. But don't all your little fingers of darkness freak everyone out? Or does paying that much for tuition tend to shut people up?"

Even though going to a private school probably meant Kizzy came from money, she didn't have the usual attitude Lynn associated with rich jerks; hey, maybe she just got a scholarship, and had really good grades! That would help explain the coolness factor.

Lynn frowns when Kizzy mentions her choice of hot dog toppings. "Boy, you really are from out of town; relish he should have, but ketchup he might not. If we're lucky, he might have a few pouches lying around for tourists."

However Kizzy is in luck, and the hated condiment is provided by the vendor with a somewhat disgusted but not unfriendly look. Soon the girls are sitting at the spot the darkwielder indicated, happily munching away; the young biker takes a sip of diet Coke and squints at her new friend.

The girl looks a little shocked to hear this and grins at the hotdog vendor. Really? I always thought ketchup was so...well, American."

"So you said you go to Claremont? I hear that's a good school. But don't all your little fingers of darkness freak everyone out? Or does paying that much for tuition tend to shut people up?"

Even though going to a private school probably meant Kizzy came from money, she didn't have the usual attitude Lynn associated with rich jerks; hey, maybe she just got a scholarship, and had really good grades! That would help explain the coolness factor.

Kiera looks shocked for a moment and seems to fumble for the right words. Shit I had to go and say Claremont didn't I. I'd managed to make it this far without even saying where I went to school and I go and mess up with a little comment.

"Er...yea. It's a good school. I uh...am pretty isolated there....not many erm...superhumans. At all. Well, none really. Yea. Uh....I don't actually pay tuition. It's a..scholarship! Yea, a scholarship. My parents are pretty poor right now but they wanted me to go to a good school. It's a private school, best in the area really. My grades aren't the best but they like having foreign students." Go Kizzy! Good save...now I just hope that sounded convincing enough.

"Er...yea. It's a good school. I uh...am pretty isolated there....not many erm...superhumans. At all. Well, none really. Yea. Uh....I don't actually pay tuition. It's a..scholarship! Yea, a scholarship. My parents are pretty poor right now but they wanted me to go to a good school. It's a private school, best in the area really. My grades aren't the best but they like having foreign students."

Lynn appraises the girl for several seconds, then laughs. "Okay, I think you should know that you're a terrible liar; I can say this because I myself am a very good liar. That's not a criticism; it probably means you're a good person, which is nice."

She sighs and has another sip of Coke before she continues. "Now, as to what you're lying about, I have no idea, and it's none of my business anyway, but I am gonna let you off the hook." She casually looks around to make sure no one else is within earshot, then leans over to whisper in Kizzy's ear.

"I've got powers, too; nothing as cool as the shadow control or whatever you've got, but still fairly awesome. Here, check it out, look at my eyes."

Lynn pulls down her wraparounds, and then her eyes shift from her normal dark brown to green then bright blue and finally yellow, like a wolf's, before they go back to their original shade. She winks and pulls her shades back up.

"None too shabby, huh? I can do more than just the eyes, obviously, but we're out in public here, so that's all you get. I can do wicked tattoos, too."

After Lynn puts her shades back on Kiera smiles and lets out a sigh. "That's awesome! I really do suck at lying when I'm not ready for it. Thanks for not pushing the matter, I'm not really sure what I'm allowed to say when it comes to stuff. But it's nothing important, honest. So, how do you do that? You're a shapechanger then? Like a changeling or..something.

My shadows have always been with me, at least since I was a pretty young kid. I think I'm technically a metahuman or whatever it is the scientists call it nowadays. Is it the same way with you by chance?

It takes a few seconds for the idea to rise up, but Kizzy's eyes widen slightly as she has a sort of mini-revelation. "Any chance you and Velocity know each other in the field? I hadn't thought about it before but if you have powers than it's kind of obvious..."

After Lynn puts her shades back on Kiera smiles and lets out a sigh. "That's awesome! I really do suck at lying when I'm not ready for it. Thanks for not pushing the matter, I'm not really sure what I'm allowed to say when it comes to stuff. But it's nothing important, honest. So, how do you do that? You're a shapechanger then? Like a changeling or..something.

My shadows have always been with me, at least since I was a pretty young kid. I think I'm technically a metahuman or whatever it is the scientists call it nowadays. Is it the same way with you by chance?

Lynn takes a big bite out of one of her dogs and munches on it noisily, then washes it down with a swig of pop.

"Nah, it's fairly new territory for me, like a year and six months, but I've been fighting crime since maybe December, and I love it. I think my powers are somehow magic based, but I'm not exactly sure why I get that feeling."

It takes a few seconds for the idea to rise up, but Kizzy's eyes widen slightly as she has a sort of mini-revelation. "Any chance you and Velocity know each other in the field? I hadn't thought about it before but if you have powers than it's kind of obvious..."

Lynn laughs and shakes her head. "I've seen her around and stuff, but we haven't worked together or anything; I doubt she'd even remember my name." The shapechanger is convinced Kizzy would be a great addition to Nightrival's team, but doesn't feel comfortable bringing it up without first checking with her mentor; however, it wouldn't hurt to take a step in that direction...

"Say, would you like to go on a patrol sometime? We could start out slow, just for a few hours, and then still have time to hit a club afterwards. We could do it on a Friday night so you wouldn't be late for classes the next day."

She grins and nudges the younger girl with an elbow.

"You can flirt with all the boys you save and everything." ;)

Kizzy ate her dog in silence and thought about this. The last fight she had been in had ended pretty messily and she was still confused as to what had really happened with her own powers. But at the same time, she felt as if she had a responsibility to at least attempt to decrease crime in the area. Her parents would sure support the endeavor, but was it the right thing to do? Kizzy had often thought about whether superheroes were real heroes who fought crime or did they just bring more crime about? A patrol was just street level though, right? And that was combating crime when you saw it, kind of like a citizen's watch. So that was okay. At least, it should be.

After a moment's hesitation Kizzy spoke, "That sounds like a good idea! I've had some pretty rough experiences with fighting real super villains. But I hate criminal activity and doing a patrol is sort of like going on a citizen's watch, but we actually have the ability to do something about it. We won't actually interfere with an authority's operations or anything...it's just helping people out. Bleh! Now I'm babbling. Okay, yes. I'd like to go sometime.

After a moment's hesitation Kizzy spoke, "That sounds like a good idea! I've had some pretty rough experiences with fighting real super villains. But I hate criminal activity and doing a patrol is sort of like going on a citizen's watch, but we actually have the ability to do something about it. We won't actually interfere with an authority's operations or anything...it's just helping people out. Bleh! Now I'm babbling. Okay, yes. I'd like to go sometime.

Lynn frowns slightly when she realizes her own concept of justice is slightly at odds with Kizzy's.

Wow, she’s such a nice girl! Am I going to be a bad influence on her? Am I going to be like the Artful Dodger, because that would really blow.

“Um, okay, yeah, we can totally play it that way; y’know, whatever you feel comfortable with is cool.†Trying to shift the conversation to more common moral ground, the young biker laughs and starts rubbing the side of her face. “And yeah, super-baddies hit super-hard; you might actually do a little better than me, since you might be able to stay out of harm’s reach. I’ve had my clock cleaned a few times.â€Â

Unfortunatly, now Lynn cannot get the song “Consider Yourself†from Oliver! out of her head, and begins softly whistling despite her attempts at surpressing it :roll: