Apex (PL 7) - Shojikitsune (Bronze)

Player Name: Shojikitsune
Character Name: Apex
Power Level: 7 (105 PP)

Trade-Offs: None
Unspent Power Points: 0
Progress To Bronze Status: 0/30

In Brief: Poor little rich girl who wants to play with the other heroes. Frustrated because she is trying to reverse-engineer 31st century technology “as that TV character put it, ‘using stone knives and bearskins’. It’s a wonder I haven’t pulled out my hair!”

Residence: If you have to ask, you can’t make it past the gate…
Base of Operations: Various.
Catchphrase: “MUST I *remind* you of my superiority?”

Alternate Identity Alexandria Lorne
Identity: Public
Birthplace: unknown
Occupation: Brat, engineer. genius, dilettante, multibillionaire.
Affiliations: LorneTek, The Financial District, banking and robotics industries, fashion industry
Family: Parents – everyone has them. Alexandria’s are stuck in a stasis field from the 31st century. Such an unfortunate accident. She hopes to free them soon.

Description:
Ethnicity: Caucasian.
Height: 5’8”
Weight: 120 lbs. (Dawson! Are you giving confidential information to the media again?!) REDACTED
Eyes: Green
Hair: Red

Alexandria.thumb.gif.0875e9c7e659813f81e

Alexandria Lorne is a strikingly attractive young Human redhead who takes pride in her long, almost waist-length hair. She has medium green eyes, a light smattering of freckles, and a heart-shaped, very attractive face. She dresses in avant-garde cutting edge designs from only custom labels.

Power Descriptions:
Lexi is a engineering genius, who has designed a series of labor, construction and rescue suits. She is possibly the best mind in LorneTek, and has dedicated herself to understanding, reverse-engineering, and eventually disseminating the knowledge that makes the high-tech temporal device they have recovered work. The sooner she solves this problem, the sooner her parents and their co-workers can be freed.

Although she has designed some impressive robotic suits, most are far to clumsy for superhero work. Instead, she has developed other systems from the detailed research notes on the strange device. Key to her public heroic efforts are the LT series drone system. The LT series drones consist of 2 or more disk-shaped devices, generally fielded in pairs to overcome their limited individual functionality. An LT Drone will generate a force field and interpose itself between its owner and a designated threat. Alternatively, it can use the force field projector to fire a bolt of stunning force. This is why they are often fielded in pairs. Stepping onto a drone's force field platform allows the rider to fly, much like riding a surfboard.  These LT drones form the basis for her powers.

To detail those powers, Lexi can 'ride' the force field effect, allowing her to fly - although very slowly. They provide a fair amount of defense, although she's aware that they'll overload against seriously heavy attack. Offensively, they can fire cylindrical bolts of force a fair distance, generate a massive kinetic potential to anywhere on her body to deliver a stunning melee attack, or attach themselves to a target and apply a 'zero-point' force field that resists the actions of the person inside it, slowing or immobilizing a target. Tactically, Lexi uses her flight and kinetic blasts to engage enemies. She can deploy the snare drones early, trying to reduce any incoming attacks. If she must get close or go past a target, or if the force bolts and snare don't stop the threat, she will use her stun punches and kicks. She is not a trained fighter, and knows she must stay at range to be most effective.

Lexi is likely to have dozens of these small, ring-like drones on her at any given time, and can activate them with manual or voice commands. Although powerful, they are not 'smart' and do not engage in complex plans on their own. This is a deliberate move on Lexi's part. She is fully aware she could create an AI to run the drones and reduce her workload managing them, but is rightfully concerned that making robots as smart as herself might not be the greatest idea.

Unknown to many people, Lexi's set of drones are ever-evolving prototypes. Even as her marketing team sell her earlier designs, she keeps developing new applications for the tech. She is even shown on camera using some of these abilities. LorneTek force field drones may eventually make guns obsolete, enable flying cars and other futuristic tech, and bring law enforcement up to parity or even the odds when dealing with super-powered criminals. LorneTek drones are fast becoming popular with the media, as they can be piloted remotely, carry high-quality cameras and the ability to connect to audio equipment, and are much cheaper than a news van for nearly the same capability.

(Spoiler - unbeknownst to anyone except Alexandria, the drones all have a system link to LorneTek, giving her vast quantities of data to search, and the ability to shut down the drone remotely. This is *naturally* to prevent criminal misuse.)

History:
Born to the wealthy Lorne family, Alexandria grew up in a world without want of material goods. It lacked a warm family setting though, as both her parents were stupidly rich and active in global affairs. A brilliant student, ‘Lexi’ as she came to be called, went through tutors like crazy – not because she abused them, or made them quit, but because she rapidly exceeded their own knowledge and skills. No subject was too difficult for her, no intellectual activity was a challenge. She also had to play dutiful daughter at events her parents planned. She learned decorum and manners, and in the process how to read people and get what she wanted without being a total brat.

She received her High School Diploma and a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering on the same day, and with clever use of the local University’s course challenge system, received a Master’s in Mechanical Engineering the following year. She actually was invited to LorneTek to assist her parents, which she was thrilled about doing. They were researching a strange spherical device dredged from the ocean. It turned out to be a time capsule, built with (they believe) 31st century technology.

The team at LorneTek attempted to reverse-engineer the device, but in an odd backfire, Alexandria’s parents and several researchers were caught in the resulting stasis bubble. The controls to undo the effect are INSIDE the bubble, as is the power source. This almost decapitated the company.

Almost immediately, infighting at the Board level nearly brought the whole company to a halt – but Alexandria had her parent’s proxies and her own shares in the company and quickly rallied her family's supporters. Now there are staff analyzing every scrap of data on the LorneTek Anomaly, including outside researchers, in an effort to save the people sealed inside. Meanwhile, the preliminary research has led to very strong showings for LorneTek in the fields of electronics, computers, robotics and engineering of a more conventional manner. Labor suits that allow one man to replace ten, construction models with built in tools, even fire and rescue models with attachments for hoses and acoustical scanners that help find victims in smoke. Camera drones with all the capabilities of a TV news van, small enough to launch from your hand. Cell Phones that compete with the best that anyone else is making, and revolutionary new high-speed computers that are very cost-effective to make. And Alexandria is the driving force behind all of this, having consolidated her position as one of the East Coast’s wealthiest entrepreneurs at the age of 19.

“LorneTek! It’s more than just a company! It is a DREAM. To soar in the heavens, leap the greatest obstacles, outrun a locomotive. To be more than merely super.”

Personality & Motivation:
Alexandria “Lexi” Lorne is a genius, and she knows it. She is strong-willed, intelligent, and some might say single-minded. She is also usually bored out of her skull.  She fights in the boardrooms and in the halls of power, but these battles are old hat to her. Her super heroics using the Apex model LT drones are part daredevil, part showmanship, part advertising. She channels funds into charities and start-ups, gives generously to Freedom City, and seeks ways to improve the economy. She does this so that LorneTek can keep producing its excellent products and researching the anomaly her parents are trapped in. At least they are outside time’s ravages, and are in perfect suspended animation. Still, she wants to free them, sooner rather than later. She wants them to see how she’s done. Maybe they’ll actually be proud of her, show a little appreciation. To keep the funds coming for such an endeavor, LorneTek must continue to grow, expand, and develop.

Powers & Tactics:
Lexi is a 10th level intellect, easily among the top 5% of intellects on the planet. Although no Dr. Archeville, she prides herself on having accomplished as much as she has in so little time.

Although aware that a large battle suit is imposing, Lexi has gone a very different route. Her Apex drones are usually deployed in groups of 3-6. One will serve as a flight platform by directing its force field generator downward, creating a platform she can stand on. She can move in three dimensions and steer by leaning/shifting positions much like a surfboard. Other drones will operate defensively, and any impacts deflected will cause the hexagonal defensive barrier to become visible, glowing a soft lavender color. The rest will operate as a rapidly reconfiguring group of weapons, each firing a cylindrical bolt of force. She doesn't have to point them, nor are they attached to her, giving her weapons better coverage than her senses currently provide (upgrades imminent!). Alternatively, the disks will ram a target with their force fields up, causing a concussive stunning effect. The last group of deployable drones attach to their targets and deploy a faint lavender field that is not hexagonal, but adheres to the target like glue. Unlike most force fields, which absorb incoming energy, these absorb outgoing energy, attempting to maintain a zero-point ratio and leaving most targets immobile. She can change  drone modes manually, via radio control, or via voice command. Naturally, it has to be *her* voice and many of the commands are obscure or advanced engineering terms. The drones also include a biometric scanner, using Lexi's data as a baseline. A close female relative, such as her mother, would likely also be able to make the drones work. This also means that a calibration session is required every day, updating both the drone's software and their operating restrictions. Someone with access to Lexi's bedroom or laboratory could alter the data, but Lexi has a very convoluted password, a 'kill phrase' and thumbprint scanner just in case. In a worst case scenario, she can reset each drone manually with these.

Some will point out that Lexi is a bit of a glory hound, and that she seems to keep the best tech of the company for herself. Oddly, this isn't completely true. She has modified her personal drones with her own ideas, basing them off the stock drones she has already marketed. Stock LT drones lack the offensive capabilities, but can be used as shields or as a way to levitate large objects. Propulsion is possible as well.

Complications:

Day Job: businesswoman, dilettante, rich heiress, robotics engineer, multimillionaire.

Fame: Often seen on patrol, also whenever LorneTek is closing a deal. Helps that she's quite photogenic.

Showoff: As long as it’s good PR! Might also be read as 'grandstanding' by more subtle heroes...

Abilities: -2 + 4 + 0 + 12 + 2 + 6 = 22PP
Strength 8 (-1)
Dexterity 14 (+2)
Constitution 10 (+0)
Intelligence 22 (+5)
Wisdom 12 (+1)
Charisma 16 (+3)

Combat: 10 + 8 = 18PP
Attack: +5 Base, +7 Drone Swarm
Defense: +7 (+4 Base, +3 Device Shield Power) +2 Flat-Footed
Initiative: +2
Grapple: +4

Saving Throws: 4 + 3 + 3 = 10PP
Toughness: +7 (+0 Con, +7 Force Field)

Fortitude:  +4 (+0 Con, +4)
Reflex: +5 (+2 Dex, +3)
Will: +4 (+1 Wis, +3)

Skills: 68r = 17PP
Bluff 4 (+7, +11 with Attractive feat)
Computers 7 (+12)
Craft (Electronics) 6 (+11)
Diplomacy 5 (+8) (+12 with Attractive Feat)
Disable Device 5 (+10)
Intimidate 7 (+10)
Knowledge (Business) 6 (+11)
Knowledge (Physical Sciences) 5 (+10)
Knowledge (Technology) 5 (+10)
Notice 6 (+7)
Sense Motive 6 (+7)
Gather Information 6 (+9)

Feats: 8PP
Attractive
Inventor
Master Plan 1
Improvised Tools
Uncanny Dodge (Auditory)
Benefit 3 (Wealth 3)

Powers: 30PP

Device 7 (Drone Swarm; 35PP Container; Flaws: Hard-to-Lose, Feats: Restricted 2 [Lexi]) [30PP] (technology, force, drone)
Restricted to Lexi via a combination of biometric sensors and voice recognition; gotta bypass or foll several sensors for anyone else to use.

• Base: Blast 7 (Drone Kinetic Bolt; Feats: Accurate, Alternate Power 2) [17PP]
  • AP: Snare 7 (Drone Snare; Feats: Accurate) [15PP]
  • AP: Stun 7 (Drone Ram; Feats: Accurate) [15PP]

• Force Field 7 (Drone Primary Force Field) [7PP]

• Flight 4 (Drone Carry) [8PP]

• Shield 3 (Drone Secondary Force Field) [3PP]

Abilities (22) + Combat (18) + Saving Throws (10) + Skills (17) + Feats (8) + Powers (30) - Disadvantages (0) = 105 PP

Edited by shojikitsune
Updated age to 21 (born 1998)

So, first question Shoji, if Apex's powers are based on drones and not innate to her, why are they not devices (even if hard to lose devices)?

This choice to not use a device is all based on the assumption that i am reading the Device power right. I don't want to waste points in containers by having to go one rank over, or reduce her powers to make them fit. The math for the Device seems to have been based on a PL 10 Character, because you can divide Rank 10 Powers neatly. 20 points of Blast=Hard to Lose Device 15. PL 7 leaves odd points that either has to be dropped to make it fit, or you have to overbuy Device and you have PP inside left over that you can't use on the Power, because that makes it much closer to PL 8. It basically gave me a headache.

I rationalized it by saying the 'drones' are relatively small, cheap, and disposable. Maybe even recyclable. And with her wealth, they are a trivia expense for the power they grant.

I am not sure I am following your reasoning there Shoji. 

Right now you have spent 27 pp on powers.  That would be a Rank 6 device (which actually gives you 30 pp).  If it was hard to lose, it only costs you 24 pp (saving you 3 pp for other things).

As for the extra 3 pp in that device, you could buy another rank of flight, and add Accurate to your attack array (as right now you are not hitting PL 7 caps anyway)

I am not sure I am following your reasoning there Shoji. 

Right now you have spent 27 pp on powers.  That would be a Rank 6 device (which actually gives you 30 pp).  If it was hard to lose, it only costs you 24 pp (saving you 3 pp for other things).

As for the extra 3 pp in that device, you could buy another rank of flight, and add Accurate to your attack array (as right now you are not hitting PL 7 caps anyway)

Sounds like i am making a math error, actually. I will revise the character.

OK, several changes. I bought the Drones as a Hard to Remove, Restricted 2 Device. I'm going to guess that Lexi has given the drones some sort of sensor that references her voice print, DNA and a dozen biometric readouts, meaning that there's only one person she knows of that can make the drones give superpowers. She's still not sure what to do with mimics and shape-shifters, depending on how good they are...

That cost 26, giving 30 in the Device. I increased Flight to 4 and added Accurate to the Attack Array. That brought the Device up to speed. I then went over her Feats and changed a few (which didn't change any costs) then added 2 Feats. Attractive and Improvised Tools. Both fit the concept and are useful. Lastly, I shuffled some Skill ranks around, to make sure she had a lot more useful skills, even if they aren't all at cap. At least, I don't believe any of them exceed PL cap.

But it's math, and that's usually a bad thing when I am trying stuff. Sorry about that.

Edited by shojikitsune
typos, flow.

A couple of things Shoji: 

First, Attractive does not add to your Intimidate or Gather Information skills.  Attractive only adds to Bluff and Diplomacy.  

You have  a typo in your Intimidate skill, it should be (+9), not (+19).  You have also errors in listing your totals for Notice and Sense Motive, they should be (+5) for Notice and (+10) for Sense Motive. 

Also with your skills, I count 70 ranks, not 68, so you need to drop 2 skill points somewhere. 

For your attributes, I count 28 pp, not 27. 

For your combat, your defense is listed as +7, +4 base (which you have paid for) and +3 Shield.  But I do not see the Shield power listed in your device. 

Her grapple should be +5, her base attack bonus. 

You have spent 18 pp on combat bonuses, but down on the bottom of the sheet only list 16 pp, you need to correct the total at the bottom of the sheet. 

For Saving throws, all your toughness is now from your Forcefield, so should change that. 

Also, the points spent do not match what you list for each save.  You have 4 pts for Fort (as you have Con 10), have added +3 to Reflex and +4 to Will, that equals 11 pp spent on Saves, not 9.  (you have correctly listed this at the bottom totals, just need to fix it up on the sheet) 

For your powers, please check some of the other character sheets to get an idea on how to format this better.  You need to make it clear that all your powers are within the device.  Also, you should list the devices rank (ie 6 ranks). 

Given the points you have spent (taking into account errors mentioned above) I total you having spent 108 pp, so you are 3 over.

A couple of things Shoji: 

First, Attractive does not add to your Intimidate or Gather Information skills.  Attractive only adds to Bluff and Diplomacy.  

You have  a typo in your Intimidate skill, it should be (+9), not (+19).  You have also errors in listing your totals for Notice and Sense Motive, they should be (+5) for Notice and (+10) for Sense Motive. 

Also with your skills, I count 70 ranks, not 68, so you need to drop 2 skill points somewhere. 

For your attributes, I count 28 pp, not 27. 

For your combat, your defense is listed as +7, +4 base (which you have paid for) and +3 Shield.  But I do not see the Shield power listed in your device. 

Her grapple should be +5, her base attack bonus. 

You have spent 18 pp on combat bonuses, but down on the bottom of the sheet only list 16 pp, you need to correct the total at the bottom of the sheet. 

For Saving throws, all your toughness is now from your Forcefield, so should change that. 

Also, the points spent do not match what you list for each save.  You have 4 pts for Fort (as you have Con 10), have added +3 to Reflex and +4 to Will, that equals 11 pp spent on Saves, not 9.  (you have correctly listed this at the bottom totals, just need to fix it up on the sheet) 

For your powers, please check some of the other character sheets to get an idea on how to format this better.  You need to make it clear that all your powers are within the device.  Also, you should list the devices rank (ie 6 ranks). 

Given the points you have spent (taking into account errors mentioned above) I total you having spent 108 pp, so you are 3 over.

Alright, addressing each issue as we go along.

Corrected the application of the Attractive feat.

Corrected typos in Skills list, added Bluff to maximize the use of the Attractive Feat. Reduced several skills that were more than PL +5 after Feats. accounted for some of the points i was over.

Corrected attributes math error. Reduced her Intelligence to 24 to account for 2 of the points I am over.

Added Shield Power to Device. Reduced Force Field Power significantly. Device powers grouped together better. No points change on Device. Device rank noted.

Bought 3 points of Fortitude to solve all the Fort save coming from force field power. reduced Force field + Fort now at cap, I think. (3+4=7)

Corrected math errors at bottom of sheet.

After all additions, corrections and reductions i show a 105 point character now. But as we know, me and maths... :D

Okay,  unfortunately there are still some problems Shoji, including one created by some of the changes you made.

Combat:

For your attack line, you should list your attack bonus with your array (+7 thanks to accurate).  To keep things simpler, I would just give the array a name, like "Offensive Systems" or something.  So the line would read: Attack: +5; +7 Offensive Systems.

You need to list your flat-footed defense (which you accidently put down with your Reflex save)

Saves:

Here is the new problem you have created.  Dropping your forcefield down to only 4 ranks, you Toughness would only be +4.  With your Con a 10, you have no base Toughness, so not sure where you are getting 3 for a base.  This puts you below your PL caps for Defense/Toughness, so this does need to be corrected.

Skills are fine, though not sure what cap issues you had?  (Your total ranks are capped at 12 (PL + 5), which Attractive is considered part of, but your stat bonuses can take you past +12 in a skill).

Powers:

A couple of issues here.

For the Drone Swarm devices, need to indicated what the characteristics of Restricted 2 are.

So for your attack powers, as I suggested above, you should probably give the array a name (like "Offensive Systems" or something).  In addition, the cost is wrong, as you did not add in the cost of the alt powers, though you did list them.  Total cost is 17 pp.

I would write it like this:

Offensive Systems 6 (14 point array; Feats: Alternate Powers 2; Accurate) {17pp}

BP: Blast 7  (Drone Kinetic Bolt)

AP: Stun 7 (Drone Ram)

AP: Snare 7 (Drone Snare)

So, because of the error in pricing the offensive systems array, you have overspent the points in the Drone Swarm device, you need to shave 2 pp somewhere (or shift 4 more pp into the device to give you 5 more pp if you want to bring your Forcefield back up to 7 to deal with the Toughness issue discussed above.)

Alright, before I make any major changes, I bought the +3 Base in Toughness, thinking (yup, that was my first mistake, haha) that it was purchased like every other save Also, possible I confused it with Fortitude when calculating things. This led to the additional math errors. My apologies for this.

If I shift 4 more PP into the device and bring my Force field back up to +7, I am still getting all my Toughness from the Force field, which was the problem I thought I had to somehow fix. If I am mistaken, and cannot buy Toughness with PP and I cannot receive the Toughness just from the Force Field, then my only solution is to raise my Con, correct? Or am I missing something here? Also, may once again be mixing up Toughness and Fortitude. in my brain.

Corrected the attack line and defense/flatfooted errors, but am now completely confused on Toughness saves, Force fields and Stuff.

The Skill Cap issue was another error on my part. I had several Skills that with a combination of ranks, bonuses and feats were 14+ and I thought the TOTAL skill cap for was PL+5. I didn't know it could go a little over. It also helped me save a few points, though what I saved was lost in the other glaring errors.

I swear, my next character is going to be something box-stock, just to make thing easier on all of us. :D

Edited by shojikitsune

Unfortunately, you cannot raise Toughness just by spending a PP on it like the other saves.  Even if you could, you have not spent any points on it, as I only see 11 pp spent on saves (4 for Fort, 3 for Reflex and 4 for Will), 

If you want "base" Toughness, you would need to increase your Con.  I understand not wanting all your Toughness to be from your Forcefield.  If you cannot find the points to increase your Con some, then another possible option would be to get 1 PP of equipment and use some of the EP to get a protective costume that increases Toughness. 

As for the Skill cap, the cap for a PL 7 is 12 ranks in a skill (the +4 from Attractive are considered ranks toward that cap).  The bonus provided by stats then adds to the ranks, and are not part of the Skill cap.  There is a separate cap for Stats, and for a PL 7 the max stat you could have is 34 (a +12 bonus).  So, it would be possible for a PL 7 to have a skill that is +24 when ranks and bonuses are all taken into account.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, corrected the toughness glitch. I actually have left it as her getting all her Toughness from her Force Field right now. After all, she's very much a normal human without her drones.

I may have misread somewhere that a certain percentage of the defenses can't come from powers? I may be confused again.

Further reduced Strength and Intelligence to free up points. However, then Increased Device to Rank 7 to increase Force Field back to 7 ranks and increased Flight by 1 more rank. Completely negated the reduction from attributes, I think. More corrections likely are still to be made.

If I keep hammering at it, I'll get it eventually. Thanks for your patience.

No worries Shoji, sorry I have taken so long to reply (work has been busy and now am on vacation). So a few minor issues:

Your grapple is now +4 (due to the -1 from Strength) 

Your Fort save is +4 base (not from Con) 

Your Will save is +4, as your Wis bonus is now only +1 

You are also only spending10 pp on saves, not 11 as listed. You also listed 11 pp spent on saves in the total on the bottom of the sheet, so you have an unspent point. 

I count 65 ranks of skills, so you need to drop one rank from somewhere. 

Looking at the powers in your device, I see one issue.  For the Blast, you have a rank 7 blast (14 pp) plus accurate (+1 pp) plus 2 alt powers (2 pp) for a total of 17 pp.  You have only spent 15 pp, so you have not paid for the two alt powers.  You will need to drop 2 pp from something else to keep those (I would assume flight).

You should also note that both alt powers also have accurate so that they also have +7 to the attack roll for them.

Corrected Grapple, Fort, Will numbers. Corrected Saves PP total.

Instead of dropping a skill rank, I used the point from my bad math on saves to buy 3 additional skill ranks, spending a total of 17pp on skills rather than 16. that takes care of my left over point.

Corrected Device so that Flight is now rank 4 and the Blast with accurate and 2 alternates is correct at 17 PP.

Corrected my math at the bottom of the sheet in my totals.

• 1 month later...