Uffish Thoughts (IC)

Zephyr slowed down as she approached the flitting blue light, certain that it will be relevant. SHe will slow to a casual walking speed, and check to see if she is still making roughly the same progress. Such a deep exploration of a mind was somehting she hadn't ever done, and it kind of concerned her.

Still, maybe the blue light ahead is something she can make a connection with, some link to Eileen or to the source of her powers. She was going to have to create all of this as an illusion for Eileen later, tough, since it's likely the emegry projector won't remember this part either.

"Curiouser and curiouser..."

Zephyr confirmed that slowing her pace slowed the passage of her immediate surroundings, but didn't appear to make a difference in her overall progression toward the coast.  She seemed to be on a schedule here, no matter how fast she 'ran'.

Curious indeed was the little blue light, for as she approached she saw that there was a small figure in the middle of it, which resolved to be...a blue canary.  But not just any blue canary, but a Loony-Toons, Tweety Bird-style canary, unusual proportions and all.

Fluttering wings too tiny to keep it aloft and managing to fly despite this fact, the canary landed on a bright yellow Eileen-bloom which bobbed, but held, beneath its weight.

"I tawt I taw an Oracle," it tweeted at her, blinking its huge, outsized eyes innocently at her.

"You did, you did see an Oracle!"

Zephyr sighed, and elected to use toon logic to deal with this situation. "Have you seen Eileen? I'm supposed to help her remember how she got her powers. This is the where, close to the when, leaving me wondering how and what. You know? In any case, I think this is a dream she had, or I've gone straight into her subconscious. Of course, if you can tell me anything about any of this, it would be most helpful. And imagine her reaction when I tell her 'a little birdie told me'. It's too good a straight line to pass up."

She pauses on the slightly luminous path, the tip of one of her school oxfords tapping out the first few beats of the old 'shave and a haircut' bit, just almost unconsciously. Probably another toon reference...

The oddly-shaped blue birdie preened its feathers for a moment, then blinked its enormously oversized eyes at her again.

"Oh, so you're wooking for Eiween, are you?" it replied, bobbing slightly atop its perch on the Eileen-flowers.  "She's been...awound."  The pause before the pun made it blatantly obvious.  "It might not be a good idea for you to be here, because...."  The little birdie trailed off.  "Well, maybe you should beat it before any twouble begins," it began, but got no further before the 'shave and a haircut' was tapped out.

"Oooooh, I wouldn't have done that if I were you," the little canary told Zephyr with sing-song censure, even as the initial rapidly tripping bars of what was immediately recognizable as 'Flight of the Bumblebees' began drifting out of thin air, the violins playing with enthusiasm and...menace?

• 2 weeks later...

She didn't even blink when the familiar music began to play After all, there probably *was* a relationship with the the toe-tapping. At least it wasn't 'Ride of the Valkyries" or the industrial bits of "Powerhouse" playing. She just needed to think it through and see where it led.

Zephyr smiled right back, nodding. "Oh, I *know*. Ain't I a stinker?" Still, she needed to both learn more and move along. "Since Eileen's 'around' I guess I won't worry. Say, would *you* happen to know how she got her powers? I've been trying to help her find out."

She waited patiently for whatever answer the little birdie might have. She'd already figured out that she couldn't rush the trip, for whatever reason.

Edited by shojikitsune

The little bird flicked its wings twice, cocking its widdle blue head in her direction.

"I'm game to talk, assuming you're able to, later," the blue canary told her.  "I have a feeling you're going to bee busy for a while, though."

Really, the music combined with the pun was enough on its own to get the point across, but the music was gradually being overlaid with an angry buzzing sound.  The odd pink-purple sky darkened in sections, and she could see what looked like giant bees, wasps, hornets, and yellowjackets descending upon her in clouds.

Oh yes -- and they all had, distorted by compound eyes and snapping mandibles, Eileen's face.

Zephyr blinked, "Yup, looks like I'll hive a lot on my plate." She wondered if she could evade the oncoming swarm.

Oddly, it looked as if they were moving in cartoonishly slow motion as she thought of her options. The path ahead and behind her gave two routes, so she elected to continue forward on the path, and see if the guided pace of the trip down the path kept her ahead of the swarm. She also reached out to see if these manifestations had any sort of mental presence she might be able to affect. She had an ominous feeling that it won't be that easy - and what if she used one of her other powers? That would take focus away from the telepathy she's using right now, and maybe break the connection.

"Now, where have I 'hornet' this joke? Now I'm just 'winging' it...""

Edited by shojikitsune
Update for post and roll of initiative
  • 3 months later...

When her witty remarks go unheeded by the approaching swarms, she feels it prudent to hurry up and head for her destination, hoping the guided pace of the trip will still allow her to 'outrun' the oncoming swarm. Something tells her that she either needs to go all the way on this journey, or break the mental link completely.

She will hold the idea of breaking the link to the last minute, however.

Edited by shojikitsune